January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:27 pm

In my opinion it’s now the back four which appears to be our weakest link.

Apart from Wolves with 31 we’re the leagues highest goal scorers with 28 from one less game played, so we can hardly blame the strikers or the creators.

However in defence we’ve conceded 24, which outside the bottom five relegation candidates is joint second worst goal coceders after Nottingham Forest (27).

Is this a weakness to address in the January transfer window, should we strengthen elsewhere or should we stay as we are for the current campaign?

Thoughts please....

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:33 pm

It's an interesting one to debate because Jonas Knudsen has proved he's a better player more centrally. I actually saw extended highlights of one game, cant remember which but he was one of the best players on the park. He has the ability.

Only other player I can comment on is Chambo, mainly due to him maybe struggling a bit. Not seen enough of Spence, Kenlock or Iorfa to pass comment.

But with the stats you post...... definitely needs addressed in January to close the season out. Still thinking it'll be around a 14th position finish for the TB's.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 pm

We have conceded a lot of goals which automatically calls the defence into question. Webster (we hope) is back and will hopefully regain the form he showed prior to to injury. Chambers from all reports has struggleed of late, but is this just a temporary blip or is age catching up with him. I feel sorry for bloke actually, he played out of position at right back for such a long time and was often criticised, but hecstck at it. Now, restored to supposedly his correct position he is starting to attract some doubters.

Whatever the reason, we need to somehow find a solution. I don't think Smith is the answer, so perhaps trying Knudsen alongside Webster may be the answer.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Maybe a settled back four is the answer. And probably the four that have started the last couple of games is the best we have right now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 am

Iv said since before the season started that our back line was utter pants ( Webster exclud d). And so it has come to pass ........

We continue to gift soft goals, make horrendous mistakes individually and collectively.
We NEED a decent CB , and Right and a Left back . Until Evans addresses this Town will miss out on promotion. End of! :wink:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 am

Made this a sticky as we approach the Jan transfer window.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:44 am

We need ...a
Right and Left Back
Centre Back

Is this really too much to ask Evans to fund, if he’s REALLY serious about making top six??

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:56 pm

hallamblue wrote:We need ...a
Right and Left Back
Centre Back

Is this really too much to ask Evans to fund, if he’s REALLY serious about making top six??

A new defence you mean then Liz ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Yes Charny, that's exactly what I mean munchkin! With the exception of Webster the rest are either bang average or shyte IMO! Town won't progress until this is addressed. But it won't be McCarthy that does it , as he will be leaving , which means Evans won't be giving any money to Mick this window........( I'm trying not to laugh as I write that last bit).as we know he wouldn't be anyway.

So the defence is the Sumer project for the incoming manager.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Right and Left Back
Centre Back

we also need a decent holding midfielder

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 am

:lol: BART OUT....! :lol: we need a goalie who can tell the back 4 to pack their bags.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 am

I know where your coming from Liz,but i dont think all of the regular back four need replacing. Chambers for me is a very weak skipper and a very poor example of a player to set an example......"well if hes hoofing it all the time then so will i".

You and i know that players are a fickle lot and often follow strong leadership on the field. McCauley,Devos, Magilton, Butcher...They got stuck in where it hurts. Chambers just wants to hoof it forward because he lacks the talent and confidence to execute a pass.

But we also know that he can do no wrong under MM and thus we are stuck with it.

When WHU appointed Moyes, my eyebrows were raised and like so many others i believed it to be "Bonkers", However i have felt for many years that Jo Hart is nowt special despite what his fellow peers have said about him. Man City off loaded him and City now look complete......Moyes drops him and WHU looked better. Im not hopeful with England in Russia with him on the plane.

My point is Im sure that some of our squad...not all,but some,must be asking themselves "Chambers playing??? Oh feck!! Oh well here we go again"......I certainly know alot of growing fans are questioning it.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:01 pm

:roll: So Dave who would you ship out in Jan window, I know where you and Liz are coming from as well, there is nothing worse than one or two players having to cover the mistakes of others, i.e. Chambo and Knudsen for instance, Knudsen needs to learn that if you go bombing forward you have to be able to be lighting quick getting back, similar to Arron Creswell, we have the in out form of certain midfield players that cant stamp their authority on the game and send in defence splitting passes, we certainly have the basis of a side that can progress in the championship, BUT only with the right input of better players in our weaker defence and midfield, so I would expect Mick to make 3 acquisitions in Jan window if he is serious about a top 6 finish this season.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:19 pm

I will be amazed if we do much in the transfer market in January.
If as has been rumoured that Mick is on his way at the end of the season I would imagine Evans would hold back any funds that maybe available for the new manager in the summer. If funds are made available for Mick in January that may very well suggest that he is staying beyond the end of this season.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Shed on tour wrote:I will be amazed if we do much in the transfer market in January.
If as has been rumoured that Mick is on his way at the end of the season I would imagine Evans would hold back any funds that maybe available for the new manager in the summer. If funds are made available for Mick in January that may very well suggest that he is staying beyond the end of this season.
Interesting that you think MM being given money in January may indicate that he will be staying. Although I seriously hope that won't be the case, the defence does need shoring up if we are to mount a serious challenge on the top six. Knudsen and Chambers seem to be the main two that get the criticism, but both always seem nailed on for selection when available. This bothers me to the extent that MM is oblivious to their shortcomings.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:00 am

Evans won’t spend a penny this January window. McCarthy will leave in the summer. He won’t get any money to spend now. Why would Evans make s complete U turn with just a few months left on McCarthy contract?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:54 am

Just managed to find time to look at the championship table....... Bristol City in 3rd on 40pts?

Come on, Mevans....... just a few extra quid to Mick in January for a couple decent defenders please.

9th on 32pts, still ALL to play for.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 am

hallamblue wrote:Evans won’t spend a penny this January window. McCarthy will leave in the summer. He won’t get any money to spend now. Why would Evans make s complete U turn with just a few months left on McCarthy contract?
hallam

As I said I would be surprised if McCarthy is given any funds for the transfer market in January buy if he was then for me that would be an indication that maybe Mick is not on his way at the end of the season as expected.
Although the odds still appear to be that Mick will go I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Evans wants Mick to take up the option of the contract extension and in the end Mick decides to do so. In my opinion it would be best for both parties if there was a parting of the waves at the end of the season but I guess it is yet again a case of wait and see.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Im with you on this also shed....Cant see ME giving MM any sort of backing unless he commits himself to another contract,which MM clearly wants none of.
In fact , MM will in my opinion go to Narwich next season........as much as i hate to say it...

Chambers needs to go and a firm strong leader on the pitch needs to be bought in.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 pm

rossi wrote:
Right and Left Back
Centre Back

we also need a decent holding midfielder
can that - Connelly has been doing well enough for us to try and see if Everton will sell him.
Then hopefully we can go to using just one holding midfielder and put the inept and totally useless Skuse out to pasture

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 pm

:roll: Tell you what Rossi, bring back Joe Royale from Everton, and we would get plenty of players like Connelly to blend in with the better players at our club, Joe had an impressive record at Ipswich with no money to spend, two play offs, better record than MM

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Did I miss something out here in Canada..... Is the man of glass injured again (McGoldrick). For the love of God that guy spends more time on the trainers table than my cat does at the dinner table. Since Freddie Sears signed his contract months ago his form dipped to no shot's no goals. Put him out on loan to Div 1 so he can get his form back...... if he ever can

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:14 pm

If you had a boot scaping down your bollocks I think you would be off work for a failr while too mate and I doubt very much you would have carried on like he did for 40+ minutes.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 pm

loudnproud wrote:Im with you on this also shed....Cant see ME giving MM any sort of backing unless he commits himself to another contract,which MM clearly wants none of.
In fact , MM will in my opinion go to Narwich next season........as much as i hate to say it...

Chambers needs to go and a firm strong leader on the pitch needs to be bought in.
MM to The Scum is certainly a left of field suggestion - but, in football, who would be totally surprised!

Was also pretty sure that MM would be off at season’s end - but, given a couple of recent statements, and a recent meeting between MM and ME, I am honestly not so sure now. An article in today’s EADT is headlined by “Evans ready to spend in January”, whilst at last night’s AGM Ian Milne seemed to downplay the prospect of MM definitely leaving.

It may well be that ME and MM have discussed the future at a recent meeting at PR and, privately, agreed a way forward. If it is that MM is to leave, then it gives ME sufficient time to try and find a successor, and plan for a controlled transition (sounds like Brexit!). Under that scenario, MM is likely to have a large input into potential replacements, able to operate under the financial constraints ME imposes.

If MM is to stay - something I suspect ME would want - then modest spending in Jan might happen, but wouldn’t expect any public announcement until after ST renewals are sent out; or we climb into the top six and look like staying there!

Or, nothing has yet been decided, and ME is holding out the possible offer of funds in Jan to persuade MM to carry on.

Of course another major question that arises is ME’s future intention and ambition for the club. It seems that he remains committed for the ‘long haul’ (10 years of which have passed), and to gain eventual promotion. But reality suggests that - unless we get really lucky like Huddersfield - with the current levels of investment we’re destined to remain a strong and stable C’ship club for the foreseeable future.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:If you had a boot scaping down your bollocks I think you would be off work for a failr while too mate and I doubt very much you would have carried on like he did for 40+ minutes.

Oooooooooh, too much information Mr Smiff !! :shock:
Think Didsy 's back Saturday isnt he ?

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:21 pm

I did miss something then a gash to the leg. I hope he is on the field for Saturdays fixture then

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 pm

No he aint due back yet as far as I'm aware

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Watership Down wrote:I did miss something then a gash to the leg. I hope he is on the field for Saturdays fixture then
A four inch gash to the groin, sustained in the first 5 minutes of the game against Sheffield Wednesday.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:17 pm

:roll: Just read on TWTD that Mick says it will be a quite January in the transfer window, will rely on possible loans if required, if we sell a player or two we might get financed by ME for replacements??? yer right this rings a few bells from the past, but I think its just confirming Mick wont be here next season, as he hasn't talked to ME about contract extensions or buying more players in, so we might get a keeper replacement for injured Gurken, but we do have Crowe so what's the point, I think a couple of defenders coming in to strengthen the back line wouldn't hurt, just in case we get more injuries, and will Mick sell Kiefer Moore to Rotherham who are going to make a strong bid for the 6ft 6" striker, lets wait and see what churns out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Have you heard that Mick has actually said something about a replacement for number 2, Gerken? If Bart is No1, and No2 is injured, but he doesn't rate No3....... then there is a massive point, Ash!! Crowe must be f**king Shyte, mate.