January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:26 pm

So, Tommy Smith finally departs to pastures new in the US, and the very best of luck to him too.

BUT. Forgive me if I’m wrong here, but are ITFC a Club without a pot to p*ss in as regards available money for transfers etc?

So why in the name of God has Evans once again allowed a reasonable player , still under contract, to leave for NO Fee????

McCarthy could probably have made use of this money , no matter how small!

Just what is Evans doing at this Club?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Wages?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Don’t you swear at me lol

Seriously DB , why can’t Evans get a fee. Just about all players that move in are on some for if contract , but clubs still manage to get a level of fee! We always just simply let players go without any real demand for a fee! I doubt Smith was on mega bucks - do you ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Hallam, he wasn't a regular or even a consideration in a team with a pretty Shyte defence. That speaks volumes. No one was going to give Ipswich Town a 3 pack of Cadburys (but once Frys) creams for Smith. But good luck to him. Ttfn Tommy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 pm

I thought it said Smith left for an "Undisclosed Fee" ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Central defender Tommy Smith’s exit for the Colorado Rapids for an undisclosed fee has been confirmed with the 27-year-old admitting that it is a “big wrench” to leave the club he joined at 16. TWTD was first to reveal that the New Zealand international was closing in on a move to the MLS side earlier this month.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:27 pm

marko69 wrote:I was only basing it on charnwoods post as Arsenal were mentioned in most of the games listed.
I thought the whole conversation was from the viewpoint of the neutral supporter and watching the EPL on shitty money grabbing SKYTV?
I think it was along the lines of "Predictable and Boring" which watership Down stated, I totally agree.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm

marko69 wrote:I was only basing it on charnwoods post as Arsenal were mentioned in most of the games listed.
I thought the whole conversation was from the viewpoint of the neutral supporter and watching the EPL on shitty money grabbing SKYTV?

Is it money grabbing Skytv or money grabbing Premier League. I think you’ll find the money Sky pay was the amount they were pushed to by market forces given that the Premier League is the most watched League in the world with every single match played watched in pretty much every country across the world on live feeds. I think the money paid in the latest deal will be dwarfed next time round when the likes of Amazon, Netflix, Google and maybe even Apple all join in the bidding. Also if you look at the money Sky pay for the Premier League this is only a fraction of the US$20.4Bn television networks in America have to pay to broadcast NFL games.
I maybe in the minority but I just love watching Premier League football on tv and think Sky do a brilliant job with their coverage, far better than most new entrants like BT and in a completely different league to terrestrial channels like BBC and ITV. After all it isn’t compulsory to subscribe so if you don’t like it don’t pay, but don’t deprive those of us who can’t get to see our favourite team every week for whatever reason that might be.
On a final note I don’t think television has a negative impact on attendances in England where we have the highest attendances anywhere in the world.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:09 am

trimleyblue wrote:
marko69 wrote:Sanchez to Manure, £500,000 A WEEK?!!

Not that it'll make one single ounce of a difference, but I think I'll make a stance against the football climate these days and cancel all TV subscriptions. Not Sanchez's fault, I'd no doubt rake in as much as I possibly could in his position, but fk these corporate c*nts.

Columbo & Quincy for me.
500k per week, AFTER TAX, AFTER f**king TAX!

I agree, this is f**king immoral but I don’t necessarily blame SkyTV for this as they have no control over where their money goes. The responsibility for wages is that of the individual clubs and in paying Sanchez £500,000 per week Man Utd have shown how disgusting and immoral their football club is. But believe me this money won’t come from the Premier League or Sky, Man Utd have taken a gamble that Sanchez will guarantee them success in The Champions League which is where the real money in earned and Sky have no broadcasting rights for that competition whatsoever.

Nb; Leicester City Banked £66m alone from TV income and prize money during their Champions League campaign last season. Add to that sell out crowds for every game and the merchandise receipts that go with it and you start to see just how much money is involved.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 am

Charnwood wrote:Add to that sell out crowds for every game.......
Fickle bastards!!

I, for one, hope no one is ever deprived of watching their SkyTv, (not sure how that assumption came about there) really only got involved in the conversation due to it appearing that Arsenal have a lot of exciting games, whether they win or lose. That was all I was saying.

I personally binned Sky years ago and go to a mates house to watch HIS Sky when there is a game on that I want to watch. I do have morals, but they go oot the f**king windae when ITFC are on!

The majority of what Sky, Bt or any corporation have to offer these days is sh*t anyway.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am

marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:Add to that sell out crowds for every game.......

The majority of what Sky, Bt or any corporation have to offer these days is sh*t anyway.

Agreed..... having said that there have been a few decent drama’s over the winter, however as far as Sky and BT is concerned all I ever watch delivered by these two broadcasters is Sport, predominantly football and golf, and thinking about it I binned BT earlier this month and will only miss them when the Champions League knock out stages come round.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Reports today suggest that Cardiff City may have renewed their interest in David McGoldrick, not sure what sort of fee we’d get given his contract runs out at the end of the season. I’ve always been a McGoldrick fan in the past but recent reports suggest he may have lost his way a bit. Any thoughts ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:09 pm

Warnock: So what we saying here? £500K
Mick: Well, I was thinking more the mill mark, Neil.
Warnock: A million?
Door opens, Terry looks in: Gaffer, that's didsy off to the treatment room. Hammys f*cked again.
Door closes
Awkward silence.
Mick: So. 25K?
Neil: Make it 15 and you got yourself a deal.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Get rid now and 500K would be a decent return for someone with no legs.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:Get rid now and 500K would be a decent return for someone with no legs.
I agree. I’d take 500k for him

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:53 pm

marko69 wrote:Hallam, he wasn't a regular or even a consideration in a team with a pretty Shyte defence. That speaks volumes. No one was going to give Ipswich Town a 3 pack of Cadburys (but once Frys) creams for Smith. But good luck to him. Ttfn Tommy.
Don't you mean Fry's 5 Boys Marco

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:41 am

Would be something of a disappointment if the player didn't command at least a seven figure sum. Not talking asinine prices but something between 1 - 2 million. McGoldrick has injury concerns we realize that, and hasn't been able to replicate form from previous seasons, but can still be a capable player when the time permits itself. Today's transfer market is very much out of proportion, maybe the players isn't (or people view it as such) worth much more than the five hundred thousand stated, but at least take advantage of the situation.

Furthermore, what does half a million buy you in today's game, fair enough the player in question is perhaps now something of surplus to requirement here but all the same would expect to hold out for something of a higher fee.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 am

saint jude wrote:Would be something of a disappointment if the player didn't command at least a seven figure sum. Not talking asinine prices but something between 1 - 2 million. McGoldrick has injury concerns we realize that, and hasn't been able to replicate form from previous seasons, but can still be a capable player when the time permits itself. Today's transfer market is very much out of proportion, maybe the players isn't (or people view it as such) worth much more than the five hundred thousand stated, but at least take advantage of the situation.

Furthermore, what does half a million buy you in today's game, fair enough the player in question is perhaps now something of surplus to requirement here but all the same would expect to hold out for something of a higher fee.
No chance SJ, remember his contract runs out in the summer and he can walk for free. Nobody in their right mind would offer that for him now, and even if he had 2 years left on his contract I don't think he would be worth that. 500k is realistic but even then im not sure anyone would really pay for him unless they are desperate.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 am

Warnock’s a wiley old fox. This apparent re-newed interest in McG may well be some game playing intended to apply pressure on Bournemouth to get a deal over the line on Lewis Grabban - his real and preferred target.

If, however. he does want McG there might be a swap deal to be done, involving Anthony Pilkington - failing that, £500K should do it, plus a huge chunk off the club’s wage bill. But who to replace him......or, do we need to?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05 am

when everyone is fit and don't think we will even miss Didsy . We don't rely on him like we used to IMO .

I say get shot this window and get some money in for him

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Goodbye McGoldrick...Hello Ben Stephens!

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5368692

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Sounds good to me No9, hopefully it happens

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:44 pm

:roll: And we could have held onto Jack Marriott, :oops: and what about the other two we let go, Rhodes, Wickham, if we still had them we surly must be able to rustle up around 50 goals between them.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:Sounds good to me No9, hopefully it happens
Yes, I'm always excited about young talent. I just don't trust MM to mold the youngsters into great players. I hear Silva is now available...anyone?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:22 pm

BART SIGNS NEW 3 YEAR DEAL, DID NOT SEE THAT. :shock: :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Wickham? Who's that? Never heard of him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Wickham is always injured, Rhodes is sh*te and has been found out, Marriott is not a patch on what we already have.......

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm

:roll: I have just read about a possible Brizzle City move for £4 million Webster if Aiden Flint gets sold in the next week?? that's one move we don't want ??? we've got no one of his class as a replacement, please don't say Knudsen??? he's ok at CH but not as good as Webster, :cry: I can See ME selling off all our talent without replacing them, again

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm

I must admit I am surprised if this is true as Webster is never fit, add to that the player we saw arrive at PR who loves to play the ball with his feet while making quality runs out of defence has vanished, coached out of him maybe ? Either way I will be surprised if we let him leave following the departure of Tommy Smith.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

:shock: Probably just paper talk BM, like McGoldrick going to Cardiff and Pilkington coming the other way, be interesting to see where Didsy might land up, 4 so called suitors monitoring