Ipswich vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Two Evenly Matched Sides Huh??

Ipswich Win
38%
Wednesday Win
25%
Draw on Wednesday
38%

Total votes: 8

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:48 am

Image Ipswich Town vs Sheffield WednesdayImage

Wednesday 22nd November 2017 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

At last a draw !! Town shared the spoils for the first time in Twenty Five matches at Hull on Saturday in a game which swung One way and then another but ultimately for me anyway ended in disappointment and frustration as we let Two points slip from our grasp, it's not often you can say that after grabbing a goal in the dying minutes to earn a point but that was the case as we had started so well to get a grasp on proceedings only to let go and gift our opponents control of the game for a fairly length spell. People have asked me what went wrong and to be fair I am struggling to come up with a clear cut answer, I don't believe we intentionally sat back on what we had, nor do I think Hull stepped it up to any great level to force their way back into it, for me I think the answer is that we lack so much belief in our own ability at times and don't have enough confidence in ourselves. On the couple of occasions this season when we have gone Two goals up (Sunderland & Preston) we look a different team who ooze confidence and play with a swagger but when in a tight game we seem scared to really go for it, this was the case here in my opinion. There will always be the question of going with Two deep sitting Central Midfielders and I get that at home but away from home I have no issue with it, the first Twenty Five minutes showed it can work well but when things are not going to plan it is always going to be questioned and scrutinised ans used as the reason for our failings.

At times we are our own worst enemies, their first goal was tinged with good fortune but they were alolowed to come at us all too easily, standing off them and letting them play it around led to that goal being conceded, our biggest problem is too many individual defensive errors costing us goals time and time again, this time it was Luke Chambers turn to produce a howler which saw Hull go ahead, it was Tommy Smith standards to be fair as he Chambo struggled with a bouncing ball when under pressure, Knudsen then played a dire back pass which was so nearly pounced on and Bart continues to produce shocking kicks, one of which very nearly led to an injury winner for Hull, it matters not who the manager is, any Pro player should be able to do the basics, that really does not need to be coached and as such I don't blame MM for that type of mistake, what I can blame him for is leaving his substitutions until the final Ten minutes when chasing the game, add to that he often baffles me with who he takes off, Waghorn on this occasion seemed a daft decision, Ok we ultimately got out of jail but even so Waggy alwasy has a goal in him, so for the sake of Ten minutes leave him on !!! At the end of the day it was an away point when this time last season it would have resulted in certain defeat having gone behind, I suppose it can be looked upon as improvement but it could have been so much more with a little bit of faith in our own ability.

One stat that really surprised me is the fact we have scored Nine times in the 88th minute or later this season, that stat alone pours cold water on the theories of players not playing for the manager or not trying their best to get something from games, we obviously never give up and our stamina and fitness must be very good so it is not all bad within the team. Seeing the way the players celebrated Jordan Spence's goal Saturday epitomised the spirit within the squad, the togetherness is clearly still very much there for all to see even if some refuse to see it. So going on our season so far of win one lose one that should have been a loss so from that perspective we are a point up and still very much in touch with the top Six, just one point off in fact. Mick has stated this run of Five games in Fifteen as possibly being the spell that shapes our season so an away draw is not a disastroud way to kick off the Five games, next up it's Sheffield Wednesday on a Wwdnesday evening at Portman Road, a change of night to accomodate Sky Sports, that in itself is usually a sign of defeat as we don't have a great record in front of the cameras. Another interesting stat that may have escaped some is that from the Eight home league games we have played this season we have kept clean sheets in Fifty Percent of them which is pretty good all things considered, another clean sheet here would do very nicely indeed. Mick has stated he may have to rotate the squad somewhat with the games coming thick and fast and the fringe players need to produce if they wish to force their way into the managers thoughts on a regular basis. The Owls are having a similar time of it to ourselves and currently sit right behind us with a point less from One more game played, victory here would daylight between ourselves and one of our rivals who are trying to creep up into the play off places. Sheffield Wednesday don't seem quite as hot as last season but still have some very talented players in their squad, Westwood, Bannen, Hooper, Fletcher and Rhodes all very accomplished at Championship level and the attacking options at their disposal will be a test for our somewhat erratic defence for sure. Sometimes you wait hours for a Bus and then Two come along at once, what odds another draw here ? COYB'S!

The Opposition – Sheffield Wednesday

The club was a cricket club when it formed in 1820 as The Wednesday Cricket Club, Lancashire (named after the day of the week when they played their matches). A meeting on the evening of Wednesday 4 September 1867 at the Adelphi Hotel established a footballing side to keep the team together and fit during the winter months.

On 1 February 1868, Wednesday played their first competitive football match as they entered the Cromwell Cup.

Charles Clegg joined Wednesday in 1867, starting a relationship that would last the rest of his life and eventually lead to him becoming the club's chairman. He also became president and chairman of the Football Association and was known as the "Napoleon of Football". In 1876, they acquired Scot James Lang. Although he was not employed by the club, he was given a job by a member of the Sheffield Wednesday board that had no formal duties. He is now acknowledged as the first professional football player in England.

The football club turned professional in 1887 after pressure from players threatening to defect to other clubs. The move to professionalism took the club from Bramall Lane, which had taken a share of the ticket revenue, to the new Olive Grove.

In 1889, the club became founder members of the Football Alliance. Despite finishing the following season bottom of the Alliance, they were eventually elected to the expanded Football League in 1892.

Due to an expansion of the local railway lines, the club was told that they would have to find a new ground for the 1899–1900 season. After a difficult search, the club finally bought some land in the village of Owlerton, which at the time was several miles outside the Sheffield city boundaries. Construction of a new stadium (now known as Hillsborough Stadium) was completed within months.

In the summer of 1912, a Wednesday player, George Robertson, presented the club with an owl mascot. A monkey mascot introduced some years earlier had not brought much luck.

The club was almost relegated in the 1927–28 season, but they pulled off a great escape, rising from bottom to 14th. Wednesday went on to win the League title the following season (1928–29), which started a run that saw the team finishing lower than third only once until 1936. The period was topped off with the team winning the FA Cup for the third time in the club's history in 1935.

The 1950s saw Wednesday unable to consistently hold on to a position in the top flight and this period became known as the yo-yo years. After being promoted back up in 1950, they were relegated three times, although each time they bounced back up by winning the Second Division the following season

This led to a decade of successfully remaining in the First Division, which included a run to the FA Cup final in 1966.

Off the field, the club was embroiled in the British betting scandal of 1964, in which three of their players were accused of match fixing and betting against their own team in an away game at Ipswich Town. The three were subsequently convicted and, on release from prison, banned from football for life.

Wednesday were relegated at the end of the 1969–70 season, starting the darkest period in the club's history. After going into free-fall, they dropped to the Third Division for the first time in their history and were marooned there for five seasons. The club was almost relegated to the Fourth Division in 1976, but a revival under the management of Jack Charlton, and the aid of coach Tony Toms and – after Charlton resigned in 1983 – Howard Wilkinson, saw them return to the First Division in 1984.

Sheffield Wednesday spent the majority of the 1980s and 1990s in the top tier of English football.

On 15 April 1989, the club's stadium was the scene of one of the worst sporting tragedies ever, at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, at which 96 Liverpool fans were fatally crushed in the Leppings Lane end of the stadium. The tragedy resulted in many changes taking places at Hillsborough and all other leading stadiums in England.

The 1990–91 season was the only one out of sixteen in a row that Wednesday spent in a lower division, but the season is best remembered by fans for Wednesday's swift return to the top flight and their League Cup victory over Manchester United to win their first major trophy for over 50 years. This League Cup triumph was the last domestic cup to be won by a club competing outside the top level of English football.

Wednesday's fortunes took a turn for the worse when a succession of managers failed to maintain this form, and new managers spent small fortunes building squads that were ultimately ineffective, which saw the club's debts get out of control and Wednesday being relegated down to League 1.

After narrowly avoiding yet another relegation in 2003–04 and a poor start to the 2004–05 Football League One campaign, Paul Sturrock took over the Manager’s role and they were promoted back to the Championship via the playoffs. Sturrock was sacked after a poor start to the 2006–07 season and replaced by Brian Laws.

The 2007–08 season began with Wednesday's worst ever start to a season, as they lost six league games in a row, and they only avoided relegation with a win on the last day of the season. Halfway through Sheffield Wednesday's 2009–10 season, Brian Laws was sacked, and was replaced by Alan Irvine. On the last day of the season, needing a win to stay up, Wednesday drew 2–2 with Crystal Palace and were relegated to League One.

Between July and November 2010, Sheffield Wednesday faced a series of winding up orders for unpaid tax and VAT bills. On 29 November 2010, Milan Mandarić agreed to purchase the club. The purchase was completed after an Extraordinary General Meeting of Sheffield Wednesday's shareholders on 14 December 2010, during which 99.7% of shareholders voted to sell the company to Milan Mandarić's UK Football Investments for £1, as well as settling the club’s outstanding debts.

Gary Megson replaced Irvine as the club's manager in February 2011 and the Owls went on to finish 15th in League One. The following season, the Owls pushed on for promotion out of League One. But, after falling behind Charlton and Sheffield United at the top of the table, Megson was sacked and replaced by Dave Jones. Jones went on to guide the Owls to promotion to the Championship on the final day with a 2–0 home victory over Wycombe.

Following this season, the Owls struggled in the Championship. However, with a better run of form after Christmas, the club secured Championship safety on the final day of the season, beating Middlesbrough 2–0.

In the 2013/2014 season, Wednesday finished in 16th place with 53 points, ending the season under Stuart Gray’s management following Jones’ departure.

In 2014, the club was again taken over by a new owner, Thai businessman Dejphon Chansiri, who purchased the club from Milan Mandarić for £37.5m

Chansiri stated his intention to win promotion back to the club for the 2017–18 season – the football club's 150th anniversary – and came close to achieving that goal a year head of schedule, with new coach Carlos Carvalhal leading the club into the end of season play-offs at the end of the 2015–16 season, but Wednesday were beaten in the final by Hull City at Wembley.

Last season Sheffield Wednesday performed well again finishing in fourth spot but were beaten in the semi’s by Huddersfield on penalties.

The Gaffer – Carlos Carvalhal

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

To Follow

[youtube][/youtube]

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches currently in 8th place with 25 points

22 Oct Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Norwich City

28 Oct Burton Albion 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

31 Oct Cardiff City 3 - 1 Ipswich Town

4 Nov Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Preston

18 Nov Hull City 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

Sheffield Wed Last 5 Matches currently in 9th place with 24 points

21 Oct Derby County 2 - 0 Sheffield Wed

28 Oct Sheffield Wed 1 - 1 Barnsley

31 Oct Sheffield Wed 2 - 1 Millwall

4 Nov Aston Villa 1 - 2 Sheffield Wed

18 Nov Sheffield Wed 0 - 0 Bristol City

Fixtures of Interest

DERBY COUNTY VS Q.P.R.

NOTT. FOREST VS NORWICH

WOLVES VS LEEDS UTD (WEDNESDAY)

Match Referee – Keith Stroud

IPSWICH TOWN 1 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 1

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:00 pm

None of Sheffield Wednesday’s Away games this season have seen many goals with The Owls having scored just six in total and conceded only nine from eight games played which would suggest a very tight game.

Although I had to check twice, we’ve managed four clean sheets at home this season from 8 played however when we do concede it tends to be more than once with 8 goals against in the four games when we haven’t kept that clean sheet.

If we can keep it tight at the back and keep a fifth clean sheet I think we can nick this 1-0 or even 2-0, after all Bolton managed to put two past them and they have nowhere near the fire power we have up front this season.

I’ll stick my neck out and go 1-0 win to Town, after all we’ll need a win stay in touch with the teams immediately above us who on paper look to have much easier mid week games than us, Leeds excepted.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 pm

I'd like to see a win or at worst another draw, but we've got to contend with Jordon Rhodes, who loves to score against us, another bloody David Nugent, but lets really attack them from the off, go 3 or 4 goals up and spank um, we need to give them a final whistle 6 goal thrashing, :shock: oops just woke up lol, was back into the Joe Royale time when if they scored 3 we got 4 Happy Days :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 pm

ashfordblue wrote:I'd like to see a win or at worst another draw, but we've got to contend with Jordon Rhodes, who loves to score against us, another bloody David Nugent, but lets really attack them from the off, go 3 or 4 goals up and spank um, we need to give them a final whistle 6 goal thrashing, :shock: oops just woke up lol, was back into the Joe Royale time when if they scored 3 we got 4 Happy Days :D

Bad news for us Jordon Rhodes has scored two of Wednesday’s last three goals having not scored a League goal since March. What crap timing for us is that ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Will be interesting to see how we line up at the back with Knudsen suspended, Kenlock is the obvious choice but will he bring Smith in and go 3 CB's ? Iorfa could come into his plans too but will have to do a bloody sight better than his last 2 or 3 performances.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 pm

I’ve a feeling tomorrow’s game isn’t going to be pretty with both teams trying to cancel one another out. Hopefully we’ll come out of it with three points, if not i’ll take the one that comes with a draw.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:05 am

That is the shittest "W" ever in a tattoo. It actually looks like it says "SHITC".

Could be a close encounter this. Keep Bannen quiet as he's a tricky customer when on his game...... he'll thread balls through to Rhodes all night long given the chance. Home advantage should mean a lot, but it has draw written all over it. ITFC 2 SHITC 2

Ref:
McCarthy: A-Yup, Keith. Heard you were good at impressions, lad? Let's see em then.
Ref: This is my Marcus Evans when you've asked for January money, Mick.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:28 pm

[quote="marko69"]That is the shittest "W" ever in a tattoo. It actually looks like it says "SHITC".

Could be a close encounter this. Keep Bannen quiet as he's a tricky customer when on his game...... he'll thread balls through to Rhodes all night long given the chance. Home advantage should mean a lot, but it has draw written all over it. ITFC 2 SHITC 2

Ref:
McCarthy: A-Yup, Keith. Heard you were good at impressions, lad? Let's see em then.
Ref: This is my Marcus Evans when you've asked for January money, Mick.[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: so bloody true

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Got to think we can win this Ipswich 2 Sheff Wed 1

Caption "Did I say something awful"

Ref caption. Get the hell outta here Mick it's time to go.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Thought this game was today, went to check starting names, realized the event is tomorrow.

Best defense we don't often play Wednesday, games of this nature are usually Tuesday occasions. With that f*ck up put aside, voted in favor for the opposition to take it. Recent scores have been mixed and would have expected them to be doing better than they are.

We got players that are capable, but too many names go missing during event time or other deficiencies restrict progress i.e. not enough field involvement or lack of interest.

Ipswich 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 pm

So you thought it was Wednesday on Tuesday?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 pm

marko69 wrote:So you thought it was Wednesday on Tuesday?

:lol: What does a Sheffield Wednesday fan and a bottle of beer have in common?
Answer: They are both empty from the neck up....... :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:52 am

^ :lol: ^

Bit unlucky for Wednesdays counterparts on Tuesday eh? Score 4 and still humped! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:45 am

Nothing better than a home game on a birthday. Hope it's a great day J4CK22,...., happy 23rd!

See that ^ ! Strategically using the match preview thread for a birthday wish! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am

Interviewer: Looking a bit apprehensive, Carlos. Worried about the game?
Carlos: Err, no. I had green beans for dinner last night.
Interviewer: FFS, Carlos. No warning or fk all!!

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:59 pm

its on sky sports - weve lost !!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 pm

Quasar wrote:its on sky sports - weve lost !!!
Was the last time we won on TV Charlton and Noel Hunts 94th mins winner? How many games ago was that?

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Is it Sheffield Tuesday or Sheffield Wednesday?........ I'm confused now

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:21 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Quasar wrote:its on sky sports - weve lost !!!
Was the last time we won on TV Charlton and Noel Hunts 94th mins winner? How many games ago was that?
:roll: seems like 100 Derick, :mrgreen: but come on lets break the ice and thump the owls

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Now about to drive to the game from Norfolk,weather warning tonght,extremely stong winds,hope the wind is in our favour :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Watership Down wrote:Is it Sheffield Tuesday or Sheffield Wednesday?........ I'm confused now
Shops open all day on Sheffield Tuesday, Watership. Half day closing on Sheffield Wednesday. Hope that helps.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:02 pm

New prediction based on absolutely feck all:
ITFC 5 SHITC 0

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Magicmark wrote:Now about to drive to the game from Norfolk,weather warning tonght,extremely stong winds,hope the wind is in our favour :)
Dont worry about the wind, town play silky stuff on the deck, no hoofball at PR with McCarthy in charge :wink:

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Im going for a 2 - 1 win, two corkers from celina

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:38 pm

ITFC 1 SWFC 1

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Magicmark wrote:Now about to drive to the game from Norfolk,weather warning tonght,extremely stong winds,hope the wind is in our favour :)
I had red beans & rice for dinner, and the wind certainly wasn’t in my favour!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:01 pm

No complaints with the line op;

Town: Bialkowski, Spence, Webster, Chambers (c), Kenlock, Skuse, Connolly, Waghorn, McGoldrick, Celina, Garner. Subs: Gerken, Iorfa, Ward, Sears, Nydam, Bru, Huws.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Not sure what it tells us but here are some ....

Match facts

*Ipswich have only lost two of their last 16 league games against the Owls (W7 D7), but both of those defeats were at Portman Road (October 2012 and April 2017).

*Sheffield Wednesday have scored exactly one goal in each of their last nine league games against Ipswich (W1 D4 L4).

*Sheffield Wednesday have lost nine of their last 12 away league matches played on a Wednesday (W1 D2), including one against Birmingham this season.

*The Tractor Boys have gained more points from losing positions than any other side in the division (10).

*Sheffield Wednesday are the only Championship side that are yet to concede a headed goal this season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Although we appear to have a fraction of Wednesday’s possession we certainly seem to be creating far more chances. We just need to turn one of these into a goal sometime soon.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Have to wonder how Wednesday still have 11 on the pitch.

That challenge on Diddsie in the first couple of minutes was a bit of a shocker to be honest - nearly finished off his chances of fatherhood!

If we could only shoot a bit better we would be comfortably ahead.