Ipswich vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Two Evenly Matched Sides Huh??

Ipswich Win
38%
Wednesday Win
25%
Draw on Wednesday
38%

Total votes: 8

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:14 am

Bluemike wrote:Absolutely gutted, i thought we played well and deserved to win comfortably, several chances but just couldnt finish well enough. Derick is spot on, f**king Sears cost us the win tonite, he is woeful. Disagree that Spence was poor, I thought he did ok until the hash up for the penalty, he got yet another assist for the first. For me Garner, Webster, Skuse and Connolly all had decent games. As disappointing as it is I don't think we are far away from being a decent side.

There won’t be a Town fan on the planet not gutted after that. If only Sears had some vision just before their first equaliser, had he squared the ball across the box, I think to Celina, we’d have had a clear chance to go 2-0 in the lead. As we know less than a minute later Spence fucks up in the box to concede a very soft penalty.

If only .... blah blah blah...

But at least we did look a decent side tonight...

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:57 am

I thought it was an entertaining, value for money game game and was impressed with a lot of what Ioswich offered going forward, and their early pressing of the Owls. We were up against another team with much more investment and barring possession stats, made them look pretty ordinary i felt.
While there was lots of slagging Freddie Sears off on.Radio Suffolk afterwards (mostly for when he fluffed a great chance after rounding the goalkeeper), i felt that what let us down was trying to "see the game out" by the lefthand corner flag far too early on, when we should have been getting the ball into the box. Sadly Freddie was the one who got caught when it could so easy have been Huws or Garner, but of the three of them he is the easiest target. The lad has, as many have said, been ruined by MM, but i think he always gives his all, maybe that just isn't good enough?
Overall verdict from someone who only sees a few games - best performance I have seen along with the secondhalf away at Leeds.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:06 am

Well i slept on it, if you can call it sleep and yes im still gutted, but in the cold light of day we have to acknowledge we played well and actually looked decent in most areas, all we can do is move on to Villa and who knows.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 am

fair play to Mick and the players last night, thought we were pretty impressive in most aspects, very disappointed not to win as Bart didn't have a save to make the whole game. Didn't think Sheff Wed ever represented much of a threat apart from a 5-10 min spell after they scored the penalty. We controlled the game, we had a decent tempo about us and we played with some intent, the best bit is in the main we did it for both halves.

We deserved 3 points but lots of positives to take. Im not going to blame Sears alone, he should have done better but I never like trying to keep the ball in the corner. I think you should either just try and keep the ball as a team by passing it round or you should go for the 3rd goal which would kill the game, when you go to the corner for 5 mins you will lose it every time, there is nowhere to go...

Bit disappointed to see Waghorn go off, I would have taken Garner off at that stage but that's a small detail. I was actually impressed with Connolly in the middle with Skuse last night, I felt having Connolly in there meant that Skuse was told to push on and press higher to try and put them off their game, and it seemed to work. When Connolly did get the ball he looked composed and had a decent pass on him, lightyears ahead of having Douglas in there last season. Great to see Huws back in there and with an assist too, when he gets going he will be a regular in that middle and I think he will improve us considerably. Lots of positives, lets go to Villa and give it our best, not an easy game but if we play like that we have a chance

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Is it just me who felt that Bart could have done a bit more to deal with a cross that was headed in within his 6 yard area? A 6'8 tank winning a header from that distance is almost guaranteed to end up in the net.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Yes Jack Bart could and should have done better but as we all know he is not great at that part of the game.

Charlton it wasnt just Sears trying to hold it in the corner, which Garner did successfully 2 or 3 times, it was failing to play Celina in with the simplest of passes when he had gone round the keeper. For me he cost us twice.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:Yes Jack Bart could and should have done better but as we all know he is not great at that part of the game.

Charlton it wasnt just Sears trying to hold it in the corner, which Garner did successfully 2 or 3 times, it was failing to play Celina in with the simplest of passes when he had gone round the keeper. For me he cost us twice.
Im not really sticking up for Sears here as clearly he should have done better BUT you could say the same thing about McGoldrick. In the first half he got into the box and Celina was rushing in at back post unmarked but McGoldrick had a woeful shot at goal from a reasonably tight angle, he should have done much better too.

I think if we see no place for Sears down the middle in a top two (either first 11 or as a sub) then we should really look to offload him to another club as I don't really see the point. We have got a few strikers and theres no point using Sears as a winger, it doesn't help him at all.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Not a great fan of past stats when used as predictions for future outcomes. However, last night’s possession stats - 32%/68% in SW’s favour - perhaps give a clue as to why we were trying to hold the ball in their corner, as the clock ticked down. Not sure whether it was on instructions from the bench, but maybe judged as safer than continuing open play, where our possession had not been great: loose the ball anywhere on the pitch, and risk a counter attack etc.

Of course, as it so frustratingly transpired, the decision to go for the ‘hold in the corner’ option proved plain wrong - two passes and one cross later and we’ve lost the goal that was always a likely outcome in that sort of situation. It’s happened to us on more than occasion, but doesn’t make it any easier to accept!

We need to get a better balance in terms of winning and keeping possession, and not allowing opposing teams have a disproportionate slice, which shapes our game. I get the argument that it’s what we do with whatever possession we have; but I think that conceding too much possession in games affects team confidence and individuals’ performances when the pressure comes on.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 pm

marko69 wrote:
Watership Down wrote:Is it Sheffield Tuesday or Sheffield Wednesday?........ I'm confused now
Shops open all day on Sheffield Tuesday, Watership. Half day closing on Sheffield Wednesday. Hope that helps.
Ah Ha I thought there had to be a logical answer there somewhere..... thanks for clearing that up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Something needs done about the "corner" thing. The pass back rule came into play due to time wasting, (an Algeria game in the World Cup springs to mind)

I reckon from the 85th minute onwards, the corner flags are rigged up to 240V.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Watership Down wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Watership Down wrote:Is it Sheffield Tuesday or Sheffield Wednesday?........ I'm confused now
Shops open all day on Sheffield Tuesday, Watership. Half day closing on Sheffield Wednesday. Hope that helps.
Ah Ha I thought there had to be a logical answer there somewhere..... thanks for clearing that up.
240V @ the corner flags, Watership? Feckin GREAT idea eh?

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:56 pm

When I see paid professionals taking a corner and dropping them short of the 6 yard box I would love to see 240v 3 phase on the corner flag and a wire that attaches to the players arse so if he screws up he knows it, and a magnet in the corner quadrant to make sure the ball is actually inside it like it always used to be..

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm

That'd be a nightmare for short corners though....... takes the shortie........ BUUUZZZZZ!!
"AH, FUUUUUK!!! I WAS TAKING A SHORT ONE!!"

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:49 pm

marko69 wrote:That'd be a nightmare for short corners though....... takes the shortie........ BUUUZZZZZ!!
Half time entertainment by AC/DC? :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:50 pm

herforder wrote:
marko69 wrote:That'd be a nightmare for short corners though....... takes the shortie........ BUUUZZZZZ!!
Half time entertainment by AC/DC? :)
:D ...... "High Voltage"?