Gordon Strachan

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Gordon Strachan

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Rumour has it he is lined up to be our next Manager.

Shed on tour

Re: Gordon Strachan

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:Rumour has it he is lined up to be our next Manager.
Can hear it now.
Cheer up Gordon Strachan! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Sky news post match comments with Gordon when he was at Southampton:

Interviewer: It appears he was having a rough time out there, Gordon?
GS: Well, if you ask me, he was the best player on park today.
Interviewer: Really?
GS: Naw. I just made that up.
Interviewer: In what areas was he good today?
GS: In areas of that green bit of turf out there!

He was on form that day! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Not a wind up though, i have been told this today so lets wait and see if its more bullcrap.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:Not a wind up though, i have been told this today so lets wait and see if its more bullcrap.
I hope this is not true. That would spell disaster I think

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:08 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Let's not open our mouths and let our bellies rumble here. I personally wouldn't want it to happen, but it certainly wouldn't spell disaster. He's a decent manager and he knows his stuff. Scotland may not have qualified for Russia 18 but the country had been playing the best stuff for years. Thankfully it's not a name like Craig Levein linked. Now that would spell disaster.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:02 pm

It is probably just another rumour started by someone bored, however it is supposed to have come from somebody with connections from within the club. Personally I don't know how I would feel about it.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Given the choice I’d prefer Gordon The Gopher. :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:34 pm

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:06 am

Not a damn chance this could come to pass, whether it's a rumor or otherwise, this will never see the light of day.

That's not to say Strachan's a poor manager : far from it, he's had his achievements and took both Celtic and Southampton to European and domestic Cup Finals respectively (saved Coventry from relegation when all seemed lost also if memory serves) but his time in the game seems at an end. Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome the chance to see him take over from what we possess at present time, but all told this seems within the realms of fantasy.

Nice idea, whether you're for it or against it, but it simply won't happen. Strachan at least can offer some color to the game, not so phlegmatic as McCarthy and could actually motivate a team. Shame in a sense, as it's a situation I've always wished to see transpire around here.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 am

Hes another has been. We need something fresh and new, Strachan is certainly not that. I want change but if this actually became a reality i would be begging mick to stay

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:56 pm

charlton837 wrote:Hes another has been. We need something fresh and new, Strachan is certainly not that. I want change but if this actually became a reality i would be begging mick to stay
How about Neil Cugley Folkestone Invicta Manager, he'd be new and fresh ideas, and you don't know f*ck all about him ?????????????? their near the top of the Bostick league South :D a local team to me

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Choice between Gordon Strachan and a f**king BOSTICK LEAGUE SOUTH manager, for IPSWICH TOWN FC? :lol: (you were joking Ashford, witn that Maryhill humour?)

I agree witn new and fresh, but they'd need to have managed at a certain level. Higher than the Bostick League FFS!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:08 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
charlton837 wrote:Hes another has been. We need something fresh and new, Strachan is certainly not that. I want change but if this actually became a reality i would be begging mick to stay
How about Neil Cugley Folkestone Invicta Manager, he'd be new and fresh ideas, and you don't know f*ck all about him ?????????????? their near the top of the Bostick league South :D a local team to me
Aren't Dover Athletic at the top of the old Conference (first drop from League 2) sure I saw it in recent time. Kent needs more teams coming through after the demise of Maidstone and past endeavors of Gravesend and Northfleet. All you got round there now is Gillingham and spoke with someone recently, they can't fill their stadium and club owner Paul Scally is on a plateau with Evans in that he won't put money into the team or seems to turn a blind eye to potential hopes and ambitions.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 pm

marko69 wrote:Choice between Gordon Strachan and a f**king BOSTICK LEAGUE SOUTH manager, for IPSWICH TOWN FC? :lol: (you were joking Ashford, witn that Maryhill humour?)

I agree witn new and fresh, but they'd need to have managed at a certain level. Higher than the Bostick League FFS!

most of the managers in that league tend to stick around for years so I cant see leaving unless They comes unstuck.

this thread should be made a sticky :lol: :lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm

goldandblack wrote:
marko69 wrote:Choice between Gordon Strachan and a f**king BOSTICK LEAGUE SOUTH manager, for IPSWICH TOWN FC? :lol: (you were joking Ashford, witn that Maryhill humour?)

most of the managers in that league tend to stick around for years so I cant see leaving unless They comes unstuck.

It had to be UHU could make a remark like that! :blush:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:19 pm

barmy billy wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

It had to be UHU could make a remark like that! :blush:

anyway I cant see OUR Mick leaving unless he gets the big EVO. :)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:01 am

goldandblack wrote:

Heya G& B, good to see you posting still munchkin !!

What the hell are your team doing , winning at will, eh ?? You're going up as Champs my man , trust me on that one ! Good on yer I say x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:06 am

Yes, there is no decorators caulk of a manager at the Wolves these days!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:39 am

hallamblue wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

Heya G& B, good to see you posting still munchkin !!

What the hell are your team doing , winning at will, eh ?? You're going up as Champs my man , trust me on that one ! Good on yer I say x
Good Evening Liz,
looking good BUT knowing the mighty Wolves there's just got to be a punch line just waiting to bring us down to earth with a bang. but we do look the part with some amazing players.

i have not been avoiding posting my usual rubbish, but seem to be a bit busy at the moment down here in sunny Essex, must get back to Wolvo where's there's no work at all lol

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:47 am

marko69 wrote:Yes, there is no decorators caulk of a manager at the Wolves these days!

, there's a local hero for that.

.Nuno Herlander Simões Espírito Santo. imaging making up a terrace song for him.

Nuno will get a long service gold watch if he lasts until Feb 18.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:53 am

I’d be more than happy to swap him for McCarthy...

Good modern manager who did well up the road from here at Valencia after making a name for himself in the Portugese Premier League. However he only lasted one season at Porto before finding his way to The Mol.

I can’t think of many other goalkeepers who went on to be successful managers, Dino Zoff was probably the best ever, the only other two I can think of were Peter Shilton for a couple of years at Plymouth and Mikey Walker at Colchester United, Norwich City and Everton.

Can anyone come up with any others ?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Charnwood wrote:I’d be more than happy to swap him for McCarthy...

Good modern manager who did well up the road from here at Valencia after making a name for himself in the Portugese Premier League. However he only lasted one season at Porto before finding his way to The Mol.

I can’t think of many other goalkeepers who went on to be successful managers, Dino Zoff was probably the best ever, the only other two I can think of were Peter Shilton for a couple of years at Plymouth and Mikey Walker at Colchester United, Norwich City and Everton.

Can anyone come up with any others ?

I would love to see our Mick with access to the endless funds at Wolves which he has never had available in his management career,
put these 2 managers on par and I wonder who would win.

Raymond Goethals :?: think he managed Belgium at one time. but managed loads of high profile clubs.