Lack of dedicated Right Back brought into question

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Lack of dedicated Right Back brought into question

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:37 pm

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/a-lack-of-a ... -1-5295835

Tbh I think he’s spot on !
Why is it, no Town manager has sorted this problem out sinc David Wright left in 2010?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Lack of dedicated Right Back brought into question

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:19 pm

I get what he is saying but a tad harsh on Spence in my opinion although that said CB could well be his better position but we would probably lose the Three goals and Five assists he currently has this season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:13 pm

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but I think we have worse issues than not having a dedicated RB. We’re just puttering along in the championship with no sign of improvement. We started the season with promise, but now we’ve fallen back to the out-dated McCarthyism. Wouldn’t it be nice if somehow MM could find it upon himself to at least entertain the fans...on a regular basis? Come on Mick, if this really is your last season in charge...play some attacking football FFS! Go out with a bang, and prod your ego even more. I challenge you Mick...show us some good football. Don’t we deserve it after all these years of sh*t?! And sort out the ‘keystone cops’ of a defence we have; I thought defending was your strong point after all?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Nope, sorry 9....... defence is the issue, and since the "rights" are WAY more important than those "lefty" weirdos, it must be addressed!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Defence is clearly our problem, but it's not always down to the defenders per se. We invite a lot of pressure with the way we play, in our last two home games we had 40 and 41% of the possession, if the team are unable to hold on to the ball and control a game, then the defence have to absorb a disproportionate amount of pressure.

We're 19th in the possession league, 20th in number of passes attempted, and 21st in the percentage of successful passes. Pretty shocking, shows the teams shortcomings when in possession and the way they are asked to play.

Normally I wouldn't care too much and just resign myself to another lower mid table finish, but I think we actually have some very exciting players and prospects at the club and would hate to see them leave because they are not supported by a bit of investment to take care of problem areas around them which just hold us back year after year.

I'd also go along with what Mike says about Spence's goals and assists, I said the same about Smith when he made a mistake or two while being one of our top scorers. Attacking isn't just about forwards either, Knudsen is top assists for us this year, if he and Spence are given the 1st choice badge, a run of games and a bit of confidence, they will be ok.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 pm

I know it’s hard to believe but for my first 29yrs of being a Town fan (and correct me if I’m wrong) I can only recall us having three regular right backs, Larry Carberry, Mick Mills & George Burley on who’s arrival Mills switched to the left. I’m sure we must have had others that slotted in to provide cover but these three between them filled the No 2 position between 1956 and 1985 and made 1242 appearances between them during this period.

Now that’s what I call consistency.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:I know it’s hard to believe but for my first 29yrs of being a Town fan (and correct me if I’m wrong) I can only recall us having three regular right backs, Larry Carberry, Mick Mills & George Burley on who’s arrival Mills switched to the left. I’m sure we must have had others that slotted in to provide cover but these three between them filled the No 2 position between 1956 and 1985 and made 1242 appearances between them during this period.

Now that’s what I call consistency.
Joe Davin or was he left back? I always thought him a great little player