League Goalscorers

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

League Goalscorers

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:03 pm

How pleasing is it to see that we are not only free scoring these days but that the goals are being shared around the team much more than last season, last season we relied so much on Tom Lawrence but now we have several players who are capable of finding the net. Waghorn looks well set for 20+ which is a great platform for any team to have.

Waghorn.....10
McGoldrick.....6
Celina...........6
Garner..........5
Spence.........3
Connolly.......2
Skuse...........1
Ward............1
Iorfa.............1

It's a bit surprising we haven't yet seen Webster or Chambo find the net from a set piece or Two but hopefully that is still to come, Huws too has shown he can get goals so we look to have some real firepower within the squad these days.....and then there's Freddie.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League Goalscorers

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Yea, this time last season we were sitting 16th with 24 points, and as I’ve said before, maybe we should be careful what we wish for. Of course Mccarthy can be a complete wanker sometimes but he does at least appear to have sorted “where the goals are coming from”.
All he needs to do now is sort out our defence.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Agreed Andy, I have never known a situation like it to be honest, nor have I ever been so mixed up with feelings about a Town manager in all my time of following the Town, this article is from a Norwich supporting Journo which tells you everything.
It’s hard to wrap your head around the drastic change in form over the past month or so.

From a point where it was hard to see where the next defeat was coming to a point where it’s tough to see where the next point is coming from, let alone three.

When you dig deeper though has that much actually changed? I don’t think so.

The manner of performances we were putting in over the period of success which saw us win away at the likes of Sheffield United and Middlesbrough just weren’t sustainable.

To use the cliché of ‘putting in 110pc’ was applicable of those showings, that may be sustainable if you have a squad as deep and as talented as Wolves’ but we don’t.

If we’re going to succeed this season it’s going to take huge amounts of team cohesion, adaption and evolution from Daniel Farke and a clinical nature in front of goal.

I don’t think our performance levels have actually dropped that much over the past eight games but what has faltered is our conviction in front of goal, our ability to keep clean sheet after clean sheet and it doesn’t help when the core of your squad is ripped apart due to injuries.

Our hot patch was a lucky period, I’m a great believer in buying your own luck but it won’t last forever, you have to keep moving and keep changing to bring consistency in results.

I hate to say it but Norwich now have to look at Ipswich Town to see how they’ve turned things around.

They started the season winning game after game but doing it in an unsustainable manner. They were scoring pretty much every time they shot and coming up against poor opposition, that combination will only get you by for so long and it did. They soon came unstuck and Mick McCarthy was left wondering what to do.

Now they’re coming off the back of two very impressive victories against good opposition and scoring plenty of goals in the process. I hate to say it but McCarthy has built a highly effective Championship team and one which I’m sure will continue to pick up impressive results.

I’m a great believer in Farke and also the players we have at our disposal and I understand that things will take time to click but we don’t necessarily have that time.

Ed Balls was quite right in saying at the AGM last week that if promotion isn’t achieved this season then financially we will be in a tough situation, we’ll also lose the players that have given us results and hope this season. Wave goodbye to Alex Pritchard, James Maddison, Angus Gunn and Timm Klose if we fail to achieve promotion this year.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Much the same as how I feel Mike. As you know I wasn’t very impressed when McCarthy was appointed but quickly ate humble pie when he saved us from almost inevitable relegation which I don’t believe we would have recovered from. I then went along with him for a while but became so frustrated and disillusioned by the quality of football however I’ve always blamed Marcus Evans more than Mick McCarthy who I think has done well with his limited resources.
My more recent contempt for McCarthy has been more about his attitude and disrespect towards supporters particularly his comments made at the end of October, I think after the away game at Burton. Since then i’d happily see the back of him, however current results and attacking play takes me back to my “be careful what you wish for thoughts”. Like you Mike my feelings are very mixed and I certainly wouldn’t want to see decisions made which takes the club backwards.

Regardless of what happens to McCarthy and getting back on topic, it’s great to see us scoring freely again and long may it continue.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Oh dear , have scum got a lot of injuries? Shame.

I have no sympathy for those tossas. They have had more money flow into their coffers on the past 5-6 years , than Town have ever had, or are ever likely to have. But have managed to have well and truly f lucked it up. Yet still, They are arrogant beyond their status in the game warrants. Believing they have some God given special football status in the region. Their fans truly believe the hype their own biased, narwich based, media churns out week after week. It’s rmba to watch on the tv .

I hope the f lucking implode and get relegated to League One, followed by L avid Teo and go into administration. It couldn’t happen to a better bunch or six fingered, webbed footed
f uckwits!

Ps ....... I don’t care much for narwich city nor their plastic fans : just saying, like ! :wink:

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Following last season’s dismal displays, resulting in a worrying fall in STs, am pretty sure there was a significant internal review across all areas of the club’s operation, including MM’s ‘pragmatic’ approach to team selection and tactics. Boring, sterile and lacking entertainment etc had to be changed.

For his part, MM could only begin to address those shortcomings if ME funded higher quality acquisitions in midfield and attacking/wide areas - combination of loan and perm signings. Unless the squad, and his options, were improved, he would have little choice other than to continue to grind out results just to keep us in the CShip. Not an option. Whilst the youngsters coming through were showing great promise, there was no way that they would be able to withstand the rigours of a brutal league over an entire season. Progressive integration was their future.

The outcome of all of this has been remarkable - quality, vfm, additions which, with a couple more astute captures, could make us genuine play-off contenders. Bringing the whole squad up to the Waghorn/Garner/Huws/Bart/McG standard must be the ongoing task. But the benefits of what’s been achieved so far are there for all to see - and many who had written us off, must be looking in with a mixture of puzzlement and envy at what’s now happening. I doubt if there are many other individuals who, in accepting that change was necessary, and given a very modest amount to achieve it, could have done it so successfully; whilst making the spirit within the squad stronger, and individual players even more committed to their manager. As for MM’s abrasive character, whilst not always attractive it makes him what he is. Having taken as much incoming fire as he has had to endure, his responses were always brutally honest and very human. Although many will disagree, I honestly don’t think we could have done better at this point in the club’s history.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Can't argue with a single word of that mate

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 am

weird situation at the moment. Im happy to be proved wrong so keep us going Mick. Have I changed my mind on him? no to be honest I haven't, some things he has done and said have crossed the line. However I will give him credit this season for getting us going again and making some good shrewd signings. I think a line has to be drawn under the past 2 seasons (yes 2 season as even the one before last where we finished 7th was extremely boring and only achieved because of a couple of dead rubbers at the end of the season) and equally he has to drop this vendetta against the fans. I think if both are willing to forgive (and both have to take some responsibility in my opinion) then maybe we can move on together.

I think if you look at MM comments after the game on Saturday, the whole "I wont forget last season" attitude towards fans, it doesn't help, he has to admit and accept how poor we were, the thing that wound fans up is him sticking up for some of that, ie. game against wolves and Birmingham at home which were quite possibly the most uninspiring performances I have ever seen and coming out saying we played well and they have spent a few quid etc etc. He is known to be an honest man, parts of last season saw me seriously question this.

So bottom line for me is if he is willing to forgive and the fans are too then maybe, just maybe there is a way forward, im not yet sure that will happen though. For the moment lets just enjoy scoring some goals and seeing some entertainment as that has been sorely missing for a few years now

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:11 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you Charlton, but I think McCarthy is not big enough to acknowledge his role in the bad feeling between him and the fans. He has no faults as far as he can see. That is his Achilles heel. I am convinced he will walk away in May , on HIS terms as he always said he would. Just to prove us wrong and him right one final time. He really is an arrogant arse tbh.

BUT,

No other manager could have achieved what he has done with sod all funds he has had. That is a simple fact I believe. But it’s not been pretty to watch and of course fans will get upset by this. Problem is McCarthy can’t take criticism. But he sure as hell can dish it out.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:59 pm

We could all make last season and the bad feeling work for us if we wanted to. I think there has been a conscious change in a number of things including our style and the way we are trying to play. This in my opinion is partly down to the relentless pressure put on by supporters last season, it would have hit he pockets of the owner losing yet more fans and a significant number at that. MM has changed how we are approaching games, we seem to concede more goals but we are also much more fluid and trying to attack as well which is what the fans were asking for.

Im much happier this season so far, ive had moments where I wonder if we will slip back into old habits but we do seem to bounce back. I think the fans could use this as a springboard to get behind the team and the management team if tangible change is being made, whilst also the management team could look at it and think you know what perhaps I did make a number of mistakes last year and in the build up to it. He doesn't even need to say that publically but just acknowledge that the fans are right to expect more than what was served up, and that its a fresh start, water under the bridge and lets get on with things. We all know some fans are fickle, but the majority that lost faith with him are not in that category, they are die hard long term fans, he has to acknowledge that.

I guess Hallam is right, he probably will leave on his own terms in May and good luck to him if he does, he may get a decent job on the back off a successful season here if we continue our form for the rest of the year, but its a sham it all has to be sour like this. The press don't help by constantly pushing for answers on this sort of thing, they need to leave it lie as well