FA Cup 3rd draw Monday night

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

FA Cup 3rd draw Monday night

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Town are ball #20

Who would people like ?

I’d love either Man City or Man Utd at Home .

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: FA Cup 3rd draw Monday night

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Liverpool @ Anfield.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:05 am

Rochdale Away

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:56 am

West ham away

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am

Being selfish, Forest, Leicester or Derby away, all would be like a home game for me.

If we do manage to get a kind draw I think with our current strike force we could go on a bit of a cup run this season, that’s assuming we decide to take the competition seriously.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Neither Stevenage nor Lincoln!

An attractive home match would do nicely.....but expect MM to revert to previous form regarding team selection.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:00 pm

marko69 wrote:Liverpool @ Anfield.
Agree, I get to go in the a VIP box in the Kenny Dalglish stand through a company I deal with, free food and drink all day. Beautiful.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:02 pm

As long as it’s not Spurs away as I’ve had enough trips to Wembley.
I will 2nd bluemike’s suggestion as haven’t been to the Crown Oil Arena.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm

lol, 1st ball out the bag v Sheff United

MOD please delete my other thread on this, didnt see here,

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 pm

What a crap draw

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Well that’s pretty underwhelming isn’t it !
Suspect Mick will approach it in his usual dismissive way - might give it a miss if he does show signs of making s lot of changes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 pm

If we are in contention for the play offs I am more than happy to see a much changed side put out

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:41 pm

hallamblue wrote:Well that’s pretty underwhelming isn’t it !
Suspect Mick will approach it in his usual dismissive way - might give it a miss if he does show signs of making s lot of changes.
That’s MM’s team selection decided, then!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 pm

I think you will find Sheff Utd could well do the same given their league position

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:00 pm

First team out, don't know if that's a blessing or curse. Bottom line it's a winnable game at home against opposition from same league status, all dependant on how seriously McCarthy and team wants it, or value of priority.

If previous years are anything to go by then we're as good as f*cked, pity is it will be the 40 year anniversary of winning the damn thing, can only say it's just as well am of an age to have seen the club win the tournament, seriously doubt that ever again will have that opportunity. In truth have lost considerable focus on the competition in recent years for reasons I don't wish to elaborate. Had the honor of being a live witness at four Finals, but times change, as does the interest.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:04 pm

saint jude wrote:First team out, don't know if that's a blessing or curse. Bottom line it's a winnable game at home against opposition from same league status, all dependant on how seriously McCarthy and team wants it, or value of priority.

If previous years are anything to go by then we're as good as f*cked, pity is it will be the 40 year anniversary of winning the damn thing, can only say it's just as well am of an age to have seen the club win the tournament, seriously doubt that ever again will have that opportunity. In truth have lost considerable focus on the competition in recent years for reasons I don't wish to elaborate. Had the honor of being a live witness at four Finals, but times change, as does the interest.
When will the Legends game be then at least we won it ... :lol: :wink: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:35 am

This looks quite a winnable game to me. In the past couple of months The Blades have lost away games at Millwall, QPR & Nottingham Forest so I see no reason why we shouldn’t go into this with a degree of confidence and expectation. Sheff Utd will have the same priorities as us and may want to rotate their squad just the same as we do so there’s no reason to think negatively about our prospect of going through to the 4th Round, which would be much better than having a Saturday later in the month without a fixture.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 am

The sort of line up we put out against C Palace in the Harribo Cup wouldn’t be a disaster.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:14 pm

id like to see us put out a reasonable team, a good cup run could be exactly what this club needs, just having a cup run doesn't automatically mean you have to sacrifice the league. Plenty have done it in the past and in the lower leagues they have to play much more regularly than us in more competitions.

Ive seen teams give the cup a good go and also go for promotion, and id say we are in with a very outside chance of play offs so its no like we are sitting pretty in 3rd with a cushion we need to protect.

I probably will go to the match and just hope its a good match more than anything, I think if for no other reason we have to try and win as we have not won an FA Cup game since 2010 and that to be honest is a damn right embarrassment for a club in the championship.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 pm

I’m with you Charlton and think a good cup run would be so good for Towns confidence. Nothing beats a winning run for team morale and breeding success.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 pm

No doubt a decent cup run would be a good thing - particularly if we were to reach the latter stages. Certainly generate interest and excitement. Funnily enough, because we’re not looking over our shoulders and worrying about the dreaded ‘R’ threat, I think MM might be inclined to field a reasonably strong team; not so much fearing that it might affect league position/possible play off chances.

In truth, we don’t have huge strength in depth, and we can’t know how things wil stand regarding injuries, following a busy December period - hopefully we’ll come through unscathed, and have McG and Adyemi back and fit. Although part of another footballing era - Sir Bobby’s 1976 squad was around 14 strong; the same team, with minimum changes, played all league and cup matches - and they loved it! Minimum training, maximum match practice!