Middlesbrough vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Chance of another 3 points?

Middlesbrough Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
50%

Total votes: 8

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Middlesbrough vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:26 am

Definitely the wrong thread, and I do apologise for that, but just goes to show how much I know feck all about NCFC. Timm Klose @ Norwich? Winning the Bundesliga witn Wolfsburg, ....... to Norwich? How the fk did this happen? What's the lure? I mean ive heard it's a half decent city with good schooling opportunities for the kids....... but fk sake! Norwich? Timm Klose?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:44 am

marko69 wrote:Definitely the wrong thread, and I do apologise for that, but just goes to show how much I know feck all about NCFC. Timm Klose @ Norwich? Winning the Bundesliga witn Wolfsburg, ....... to Norwich? How the fk did this happen? What's the lure? I mean ive heard it's a half decent city with good schooling opportunities for the kids....... but fk sake! Norwich? Timm Klose?

A nice distraction from our defeat today...

Anyway I guess him signing for Norwich was the lure of the Premier League, although I don’t think he was there when Wolfsburg won the Bundesliga but he would have been in the team that won the German Cup and the German Super Cup playing alongside Kevin De Bruyne.

Why he couldnt find a better club than Norwich City, f*ck knows. That said I did have two spells living and working in Norwich and actually it isn’t a bad place to live, just a shame about their football team.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 am

Read your reply and thought, Na, they won it recently, 2013 maybe? ...... forced the google, ....... 08/09?? Jaysus H, time flies. :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:55 am

Took in some game report from TWTD and subsequent replies from random individuals and appears today was only going over old territory. In that, the players tried on occasion but were evidently second best throughout it all and there can be little dispute in opposition victory. One or two mentions in that McCarthy aimed for a point before game time, there was no real emphasis in us trying to find victory and the defense were at times once again brought into question.

Lo and behold after recent weeks (and a measure of success, McCarthy back to being some level of savior etc) fans revert to type and insist we're a poor team with no real ambition and McCarthy gets castigated left and right..

All told that was a disappointing score to learn about, particularly as it appeared we showed little in the way of desire of ambition. The frustrating thing is, we often play teams who have endured a bad run or played sh*t for some considerable time, and we hand them damn points or victory. One last time, we're evidently not consistent enough to properly challenge.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:10 am

Just read that ^^^ with the Cadburys Smash robot voice.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 am

McCarthy ‘s comment of , “ we frustrated them up until the goal”, says it all for me. It clear he went there to defend like hell and hopefully hit them on the break. One fan who went said he counted Chambers had hooded it up the park no fewer than 12times.

Why the hell not ATTACK the opposition- we have the fire power and returning midfielders to hurt opponents. THIS facet of Mick McCarthy is what I hate about his tenure at ITFC .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 am

marko69 wrote:Was never going to be a walk in the park @ Boro though eh Hallam? Predicted a draw at the very best.

My only theory regarding Knudsen, (and it sometimes happens with Lewis Stevenson @ Hibs) ------> strikers are getting absolutely feck all delivery from the midfield, so he takes it upon himself to play the 1-2's, and bomb forward to get the decent cross in ----> but unfortunately laboured at getting back. It's only a theory born out of Charnwood saying there were no shots on target for the longest time.

I know they were always likely to beat us - do they given the money they’ve spent. BUT my gripe about the defence and Knudsen is this happens a lot and not just yesterday’s game. You make guy have something in your theory , but their heads by Chambers! God god the midfield can’t possibly supply the strikers when the ball is being hoofed over their heads. God help us if Smith ever returns to that back four!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am

Snowing hard in Ipswich this morning.....just sayin’, like!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:16 am

Wasnt there so cant comment, will leave that for others.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:09 pm

marko69 wrote:Read your reply and thought, Na, they won it recently, 2013 maybe? ...... forced the google, ....... 08/09?? Jaysus H, time flies. :lol:

It made me laugh when I read about him playing alongside De Bruyne, a bit different to playing in the Championship for Norwich City. Given he’s only a couple of years older than De Bruyne it just shows how quickly fortunes can change in professional football over two or three seasons, but Champions League to Championship takes some beating.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Maybe best to forget about yesterday and move on to our next four games over the space of 14 days which really will have a massive impact on how our season pans out. Unusually three of these four games are at home v Reading, QPR & Derby and if we could pick up 9 points from these games our defeat at Middlesbrough yesterday will long be forgotten. Sunderland taking a point from Wolves at The Mol yesterday will also give some believability to the players that their trip there isn’t a forgone conclusion.

I wonder where we’ll be placed at the end of the year ?.... mmm a topic for a new thread me thinks.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Having finally seen the highlights there is little doubt we struggled at times down our left, Knudsen was as Hallam has stated all over the place more than once and quite what the hell ward was doing for the first goal god only knows, a real comedy of errors yet again, I think it is correct when Charlton says it really knocked us with the timing of both goals, this also happens oh so often where we are concerned.

Losing yesterday was no massive shock but naturally disappointing, however it is what we do in the next four games that really matters and with Three of them at home I think a minimum of seven points would be a decent return given that we have to play Wolves & Derby while reading have been in good form too.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 pm

‘Highlights’ - probably contravenes trades description act!

But yesterday’s history, time to move onwards and, hopefully, upwards. But learn the lessons (again)!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:49 pm

Aren't they similar to Norwich in that :

#1 Greatest honor was winning a League Cup Final no-one can remember

#2 One or two league seasons that standout above all others (amid 100 + years of indisputable irrelevance)

#3 A brief venture in European Competition that included at least one score of significant merit

#4 Forever overshadowed by their more illustrious neighbors

#5 Fans talk about past histories or potential future achievements when there's none to be discussed

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 am

#6 They've beaten ITFC this season?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 pm

herforder wrote:‘Highlights’ - probably contravenes trades description act!

But yesterday’s history, time to move onwards and, hopefully, upwards. But learn the lessons (again)!
Problem is McCarthy doesn’t learn, by “his” mistakes!

He has an innate default setting of defend first and foremost. Which in itself is partly correct. Problem is he takes it to a whole new level and is so ultra cautious.

There’s s lot to be said for the saying , “ the best form of defence, is attack”. We will rarely get it under McCarthy sadly.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Interesting to read people`s thoughts about the hoofing.

It`s true; all our defenders hoof the ball as far as possible - Chambers and Webster especially.

Why? Well, I suppose they think that passing the ball to Skuse is no good, because 99.9% of the time the ball will come straight back to them and put them in trouble.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm

:o I'll tell you what, I watched the Cardiff v Reading Match last night, and I thought if we were 2-0 down to Reading would we make a fighting comeback like Cardiff did, they really hammered Reading 2nd half and so easily might have won it, you can say one thing Neil Warnock has certainly built a strong resilient side since he was appointed manager, if only we had the guts to fight back like they did, we nearly always capitulate, I was really impressed with Cardiff.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm

rossi wrote:Interesting to read people`s thoughts about the hoofing.

It`s true; all our defenders hoof the ball as far as possible - Chambers and Webster especially.

Why? Well, I suppose they think that passing the ball to Skuse is no good, because 99.9% of the time the ball will come straight back to them and put them in trouble.
PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: so true Rossi

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 pm

ashfordblue wrote::o I'll tell you what, I watched the Cardiff v Reading Match last night, and I thought if we were 2-0 down to Reading would we make a fighting comeback like Cardiff did, they really hammered Reading 2nd half and so easily might have won it, you can say one thing Neil Warnock has certainly built a strong resilient side since he was appointed manager, if only we had the guts to fight back like they did, we nearly always capitulate, I was really impressed with Cardiff.
Yeah, Warnock has had that effect on most teams he’s managed. It would be nice to see the same fighting spirit from us on a regular basis!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:12 pm

One defeat and its doom doom doom again. I may watch one of my favourite films tonite, I love The usual suspects.