Skusey

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Skusey

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:20 am

Ipswich Town star Cole Skuse has made MORE interceptions this season than ANY player from the top leagues in Europe!

herforder

Re: Skusey

Post by herforder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:27 am

Bluemike wrote:
Ipswich Town star Cole Skuse has made MORE interceptions this season than ANY player from the top leagues in Europe!
Will be great when he does it against opposing teams! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:38 am

Lmao are you Rossi or Mach in disguise???

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:Lmao are you Rossi or Mach in disguise???
hahaha :D

Its at pretty meaningless statistic though, Mike.
What`s the point of making an interception if you then give the ball straight back to the opposition?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Cole Skuse’s role as Town’s unsung hero is in danger of becoming a thing of the past with the revelation that he is out on his own as European football’s number one interceptor.

When it comes to intercepting and winning the ball Skuse’s statistics are more impressive than those of players, among them some of the world’s finest, in the Premier League, Spain’s La Liga, the Bundesliga in Germany, Serie A in Italy and France’s Ligue 1 – the top five domestic leagues in the continent.

Stats show that Skuse has 62 interceptions to his credit this season, which not only puts him ahead of Championship rivals Curtis Davies (Hull), Sol Bamba (Cardiff), Jack O’Connell (Sheffield United) and Adam Reach (Sheffield Wednesday) but of every other player in the afore-mentioned leagues.

Upon hearing the figures for the first time Skuse, one of the game’s most modest performers and whose present Town deal is due to expire at the end of the season, laughed: “Really? Does that mean I’m in the running for the next Ballon d’Or? Surely it’s more than deserving of a new deal, isn’t it?

“But seriously, it’s a nice thing to be recognised for because it’s something I’m asked to do, protect the back four, so to see things like that is nice.

“Maybe a lot of what I do goes unnoticed at times but the gaffer and the other lads will say ‘Well done on such-and-such’ so I know they see it.

“If I’m asked to do that by the manager and he and the lads are noticing it, that’s enough for me. I’m definitely not one to go and score 25 goals a season so I’ve got to do something else to contribute.

“It’s always been part of my game. I’ve never been a midfielder to go and score loads of goals, I’ve always been more of a deep-lying type so stuff like that is nice to see.

“We’re big on stats these days. Every Monday they are on the board from the weekend game. If I see the interceptions are up I’m buzzing.

“Even the academy lads have two or three areas of analysis, whereas I don’t think I saw anything like that until I was about 25. It’s not just the senior players, the young lads are getting it every week as well and it has become a massive part of the game.

“I’m usually quite high when it comes to passes completed but I’m pleasantly surprised to be top for interceptions. I thought that might be more of a defender’s thing but I’ll definitely take it.”

When it was suggested Skuse’s team-mates might start calling him The Interceptor he replied: “I’ve been called far worse so I’ll take that. The lads will have something to say about it too. It will all start off as a nice gesture – ‘Well done Skusey’ – but it will soon turn into them taking the absolute p*ss and me getting caned.

“I really don’t mind if I don’t get noticed. I’m nearly 32 and I’ve played the same role for my entire career. If I’m not the one they’re singing songs about it doesn’t bother me at all.

“I’m part of an 11-man side and if they’re scoring four or five goals every week, and I’m in a winning team, that’s enough for me. As long as when I go home my little girl and my little boy are singing daddy’s name, and not someone else’s, that’s alright.”

Skuse has netted just twice in his 190 appearances for Town. What did he make of the ‘I was there when Skusey scored’ T-shirts to mark his rare strikes? He said: “Yep, that was another p*ss-take! If I’m just there to have the p*ss taken out of me that’s fine, no problem. I can promise I give as good as I get, I hold my own, and I’m sure a lot of the lads would vouch for that.”
What about that one then, I bet that's surprised ya lol.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Tomrrow’s EADT headline - ‘Skuse speaks out - I don’t need drugs to do my job’. (The jury’s out on that one, though!).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 pm

I thought we sold Chopra and Bullard

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Cole Skuse’s role as Town’s unsung hero is in danger of becoming a thing of the past with the revelation that he is out on his own as European football’s number one interceptor.

When it comes to intercepting and winning the ball Skuse’s statistics are more impressive than those of players, among them some of the world’s finest, in the Premier League, Spain’s La Liga, the Bundesliga in Germany, Serie A in Italy and France’s Ligue 1 – the top five domestic leagues in the continent.

Stats show that Skuse has 62 interceptions to his credit this season, which not only puts him ahead of Championship rivals Curtis Davies (Hull), Sol Bamba (Cardiff), Jack O’Connell (Sheffield United) and Adam Reach (Sheffield Wednesday) but of every other player in the afore-mentioned leagues.

Upon hearing the figures for the first time Skuse, one of the game’s most modest performers and whose present Town deal is due to expire at the end of the season, laughed: “Really? Does that mean I’m in the running for the next Ballon d’Or? Surely it’s more than deserving of a new deal, isn’t it?

“But seriously, it’s a nice thing to be recognised for because it’s something I’m asked to do, protect the back four, so to see things like that is nice.

“Maybe a lot of what I do goes unnoticed at times but the gaffer and the other lads will say ‘Well done on such-and-such’ so I know they see it.

“If I’m asked to do that by the manager and he and the lads are noticing it, that’s enough for me. I’m definitely not one to go and score 25 goals a season so I’ve got to do something else to contribute.

“It’s always been part of my game. I’ve never been a midfielder to go and score loads of goals, I’ve always been more of a deep-lying type so stuff like that is nice to see.

“We’re big on stats these days. Every Monday they are on the board from the weekend game. If I see the interceptions are up I’m buzzing.

“Even the academy lads have two or three areas of analysis, whereas I don’t think I saw anything like that until I was about 25. It’s not just the senior players, the young lads are getting it every week as well and it has become a massive part of the game.

“I’m usually quite high when it comes to passes completed but I’m pleasantly surprised to be top for interceptions. I thought that might be more of a defender’s thing but I’ll definitely take it.”

When it was suggested Skuse’s team-mates might start calling him The Interceptor he replied: “I’ve been called far worse so I’ll take that. The lads will have something to say about it too. It will all start off as a nice gesture – ‘Well done Skusey’ – but it will soon turn into them taking the absolute p*ss and me getting caned.

“I really don’t mind if I don’t get noticed. I’m nearly 32 and I’ve played the same role for my entire career. If I’m not the one they’re singing songs about it doesn’t bother me at all.

“I’m part of an 11-man side and if they’re scoring four or five goals every week, and I’m in a winning team, that’s enough for me. As long as when I go home my little girl and my little boy are singing daddy’s name, and not someone else’s, that’s alright.”

Skuse has netted just twice in his 190 appearances for Town. What did he make of the ‘I was there when Skusey scored’ T-shirts to mark his rare strikes? He said: “Yep, that was another p*ss-take! If I’m just there to have the p*ss taken out of me that’s fine, no problem. I can promise I give as good as I get, I hold my own, and I’m sure a lot of the lads would vouch for that.”
What about that one then, I bet that's surprised ya lol.
Well it says passes completed, not passes successfully completed. Given how often he gives the ball away that's probably about right ;)

I think his quote in his last sentence is more correct, when he says 'I hold my own'. Yeah, I can well believe that ;)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:40 pm

PMSL, I can see I am finally making some headway here.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Dribbling Attempts:

Cole Skuse - 3 (75% success)
Adam Webster - 6 (100% success)

Passing Accuracy:

Cole Skuse - 78% (Av pass length - 17m)
Tommy Smith - 76% (Av pass length - 18m)

Assists:

Cole Skuse - 0 (1830 minutes)
Emyr Huws - 1 (227 minutes)

Clearances:

Cole Skuse - 39
Joe Garner - 45

I'm only playing Devil's advocate Mike!! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 pm

I can tell you now that assists one is incorrect

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:44 am

Ricco wrote:Dribbling Attempts:

Cole Skuse - 3 (75% success)
Adam Webster - 6 (100% success)

Passing Accuracy:

Cole Skuse - 78% (Av pass length - 17m)
Tommy Smith - 76% (Av pass length - 18m)

Assists:

Cole Skuse - 0 (1830 minutes) ******
Emyr Huws - 1 (227 minutes)

Clearances:

Cole Skuse - 39
Joe Garner - 45

I'm only playing Devil's advocate Mike!! :lol:
**** what about that little dinked pass back to McGoldrick? At Hull when a goal was the end result?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 am

Exactly !!!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 am

There’s good statistics, bad statistics and there’s damn lies. In Skuse’s case all three probably apply!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:**** what about that little dinked pass back to McGoldrick? At Hull when a goal was the end result?
It was headed away by a defender and scuffed by Knusden before it got to McGoldrick.

I don't make the rules, I just quote second hand statistics :lol:

Genuinely those stats were just a bit of fun, you can make any player look good or bad by picking and portraying stats in certain ways. Skuse is not a bad player, that isn't what has frustrated me about him in the past, I think it's great that Connolly is around at the moment, it gives Skuse a bit of freedom and competition which will only improve his play.

One interesting stat that I came across, which I thought I'd mention after Mike mentioned a crucial block in his report, was Spence has 25 blocks this season, more than double any other town player and as many as anyone in the division. Don't know if that's a particularly good thing, but probably worth mentioning as he's been moaned about like Skuse.

Oh and battle of the defensive midfielders:

Cole Skuse - 1 goal (1875 minutes)
Callum Connolly - 3 goals (827 minutes)

I'll get my coat.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Another shocking stat, every time we lose Bart has been in the team, get rid.

On a serious note Jordan Spence is another who for me is vastly underrated by a section of Town fans, Three goals and some marauding runs which create things for others, not to mention the block stat you have just highlighted Ricco, when it was mentioned that we possibly need a whole new defence I made the point at the time that for me Webster & Spence are every bit good enough and I still stand by that, for me LB is and always has been the main issue.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:58 pm

Agree regarding Spence. One of those marauding runs in the second half yesterday, which saw him slalom through a slack handful of Reading’s midfielders and defenders, ending with a shot from inside the box, would have been a candudate for individual goal of the season, had it gone in. Boring, sterile football - don’t think so! From a team point of view, being effective in that role helps relieve pressure when not in possession for long periods, and gives the opposition something to think about.

Would hope that, by playing regularly in a settled defence, Spence continues to improve, becoming more consistent in his decision making - a big part of which is a confidence thing.

I think young Ward needs to be more consistent and effective. Still flatters only to deceive a bit too much, for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:01 pm

I agree regarding Ward, he was excellent at Derby but that is the problem, you can count on one finger his good games. Capable of so much more but lacking in belief I feel.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:05 pm

herforder wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Will be great when he does it against opposing teams! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks, needed that haha