Barnsley FC take over by Chinese Billionaire Consortium

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

ashfordblue

Re: Barnsley FC take over by Chinese Billionaire Consortium

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:28 pm

:lol: I'll bet he was shoved, rather than left by mutual consent BM

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 pm

ashfordblue wrote::lol: I'll bet he was shoved, rather than left by mutual consent BM
No question about that lol

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Paul Heckingbottom had signed a new contract with Barnsley last Friday; enter the Leeds madmen, handing over £500K to trigger a release clause, and BINGO they’ve got another victim to act as their manager.

Barnsley’s Chinese owners now frantically seeking guidance from Confucius along the lines - wtf happened there!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:18 pm

What has PH ever done for god sake ? A mad mad mad appointment for me.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 am

Barnsley can have MM as there manager. He was born there (in the Irish part) so he should end his career there............PLEASE!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Not beyond the realms of possibility that Derick.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Pretty sure he started his playing career there, so the wheel will have turned completely should he go back as their manager. That said, he’s lived in SE London for a long time, so might not fancy the long-distance commute to mad Yorkshire. But......in a world where you can sign a contract in good faith on a Friday, only to walk away the following Tuesday, who knows what might happen! (Nathan Jones anyone?)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Just like Paul Heckingbottom McCarthy was born in Barnsley albeit some 18yrs earlier. Not only did McCarthy start his career at his home town football club he spent the first half of his playing career there making 272 appearances. It is also blatantly obvious every time Town play there that he has a great affinity with their fans. I have a feeling that if the money was right he would go there as the fans favourite.

We can only hope, but only if ME has a better man lined up, preferably with more than two years experience Managing in League 2.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:42 pm

:roll: Or on the other hand, Mick lives a stone throw away from Bromley FC, who are a club going places, doing well in the National League, aiming for Football League status in the near future.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Had to google where Bromley was. 81 miles away from Ipswich. Does Mick do the 162 miles round trip every day? No wonder he can't be arsed anymore. Fk that.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:19 pm

marko69 wrote:Had to google where Bromley was. 81 miles away from Ipswich. Does Mick do the 162 miles round trip every day? No wonder he can't be arsed anymore. Fk that.
No, he lives locally during the week........the A12 and M25 combination would cause serious personality disorder or, in MM’s case, make it worse!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:09 am

McCarthy could travel from East Kilbride or live out of a tent in Christchurch Park (to manage games), and we'd still see lack of ambition, sub-standard tactics and everything it entails.

Bottom line if and when Barnsley Football Club possess some substantial money to spend and this takeover really takes off, would their directors hire or consider an individual who couldn't finish a three piece jigsaw. Been elaborated on enough, McCarthy has money at his disposal, all rendered invariably void and redundant by his own philosophies and manner of play.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 am

What'll happen is Mick will head to Barnsley and Barnsley will head to the EPL and Magic Vegas FC will stay in the Championship and Mevans will make a mint on dodgy WC2018 tickets.
Get yer mortgage on it.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 am

Danny Cowley, currently Lincoln City manager (remember him?), is Barnsley’s preferred choice - presumably with his brother. No qualms about appointing a progressive, young, effective League 2 manager for them! Or, they could of course go for a supposedly more experienced, higher profile, individual - just as Birmingham did with Rednapp and Zola. Not the best of outcomes.... Every decision carries risk, but Huddersfiel have shown how to get it right on a very modest budget.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Blues boss Mick McCarthy is now some bookmakers' odds-on favourite for the vacant job at Barnsley, his hometown club where he started his playing career.

Having been very much an outsider in the early betting following Paul Heckingbottom’s departure for Leeds on Tuesday, McCarthy’s odds came in significantly this morning and, at the time of writing, stand at 8/11 with SkyBet and Bet Victor.

With Sky Bet Lincoln City boss Danny Cowley is second favourite at 6/4, current Tykes caretaker-manager Paul Harsley is third at 10/1 with former Leeds, Huddersfield, Preston and Sunderland manager Simon Grayson fourth at 14/1.

McCarthy, who celebrated his 59th birthday yesterday, was born in Barnsley and came through the ranks at Oakwell.

He made his senior debut in 1977 and went on to make 314 appearances, scoring 10 goals, before leaving for Manchester City in 1983, having been part of a side which had climbed from the Fourth to the Second Division.

It’s not the first time McCarthy has been the bookies' favourite for another job during his five-and-a-half-year spell with Town, the Blues boss, who is widely expected to move on when his contract is up in the summer, having been linked with a return to the Republic of Ireland role which he previously occupied between 1996 and 2002 on a couple of occasions.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 pm

I don’t honestly think he’ll go to Barnsley. He wants a bigger tank to swim in.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:58 pm

so on the one hand, TWTD are reporting that MM is the favourite of SOME (2 actually) bookies for the job.

and on the other hand, the Guardian are reporting that Danny Cowley is Barnsley's preferred choice.

hmmmm - which one do I believe more?

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:30 pm

With potentially significantly more spending power, courtesy of the Club’s new Chinese owners, and of course having the services of Keifer Moore available, MM won’t be able to resist......will he??

Was/is Danny Cowley really in the frame, as some sources strongly suggest, or has he politely declined? If so, does it make it any sort of possibility that he’d come here, if asked? Questions, questions, but as yet no answers! Exciting, isn’t it. :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Barnsley were rocked this week by Paul Heckingbottom joining Yorkshire rivals Leeds, just days after signing a new contract.

The search is on for the Tykes’ new boss and it appears they may be looking to a hometown legend to fill the role.

Mick McCarthy has been at Ipswich for five years but his odds have dropped to just 8/11 to take over a club that he played 272 times for.

Operating on a shoestring budget, McCarthy and assistant Terry Connor have continually steered Ipswich away from relegation and made the Play-offs in 2015.

But a rigid, agricultural playing style and barbed press conferences have led to criticism from some Tractor Boys supporters, with signs that McCarthy’s fifth season in charge could be his last.

Punters appear to agree with this, as the 58-year olds odds have been slashed from an original price of 4/1.

Other frontrunners include Lincoln City’s Danny Cowley, available at 6/1 and Simon Grayson, who is a best price of 14/1.

Oddschecker Spokesman George Elek: “Mick McCarthy and Barnsley seem like a perfect fit and the local lad is now odds-on for a Yorkshire homecoming after five years at Ipswich. Whilst McCarthy has done a tremendous job with the Tractor Boys, there are many supporters calling for a change and it appears that they could get their wish sooner rather than later.”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Grant McCann being linked with Barnsley now.
Have a feeling they may go for him instead of Mick.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 am

LOL

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:48 am

To be brutally honest, unless it’s MM who really gives one?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 pm

They appear to be struggling to me.... clearly taken completely by surprise and still wondering what the f*ck happened there.

If MM had any interest in the job I’m pretty sure he’d be there by now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 am

How's big signing Keiffer Moore doing ?

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 am

Bluemike wrote:How's big signing Keiffer Moore doing ?
has he scored yet? I think that was a good deal for us, I always thought he looked pretty useless. I know hes probably gone for money as he will earn more at Barnsley but I cant help thinking he may have been better off going to Rotherham permanently as he seemed to be enjoying himself there. Probably would have earnt half the wages hes on now though

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:03 am

charlton837 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:How's big signing Keiffer Moore doing ?
has he scored yet? I think that was a good deal for us, I always thought he looked pretty useless. I know hes probably gone for money as he will earn more at Barnsley but I cant help thinking he may have been better off going to Rotherham permanently as he seemed to be enjoying himself there. Probably would have earnt half the wages hes on now though

Maybe he pulled a Barnsley lass in one of those dodgy South York’s night clubs. Joking apart I don’t think he’s played a full 90 mins for them yet, either coming on as a late sub or making way for somebody else. He certainly isn’t the hero there he was at Rotherham.