Barnsley FC take over by Chinese Billionaire Consortium

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Barnsley FC take over by Chinese Billionaire Consortium

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 pm

A consortium including a Chinese billionaire and the baseball boss who inspired the Hollywood film 'Moneyball' have taken control of Barnsley FC. I guess this could be another bank rolled football club that will buy it’s way into the Premiership just like Leicester City.

Have they never heard of Ipswich Town, this is just the sort of buy out we need.

Live in hope !

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Barnsley FC take over by Chinese Billionaire Consortium

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Barnsley? Why, FFS?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Will still struggle

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 pm

They had also considered Brentford, Hull and a couple of other clubs - not ITFC apparently. When they tried to contact ME he was otherwise engaged - helping the Brazilian polce with their enquiries, so the story goes! :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:32 am

Bluemike wrote:Will still struggle
That’s what they said about Leicester City...... “What the f*ck do Thai’s know about football “?That’s what everyone was saying.

From past experience, if they throw enough money at it they are unlikely to fail. It’s just a case of how deep they want to dig in search of success.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 am

depends on who they bring in as a manager. We know more than most if you get that wrong you have no chance. I would think they will have a new manager by next season, in fact whos to say it wouldn't be Mick... Barnsley lad, bit of money, a manager with lots of championship experience and one that's won promotion a couple of times. Probably not but I wouldn't rule it out completely

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Charlton, if they really do plan to throw money at it. I would say MM/TC would be a firm favourite for Barnsley to be honest.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Wonder how Barnsley supporters would react to that possibility? Brand new owners, potentially with both money and ambition, starting a new exciting era for the club, and trusting MM/TC to deliver? Certainly safe pairs of hands, able to operate on restricted budgets and to get the maximum out of the minimum - but dynamic and innovative enough to match the new owners’ and supporters’ aspirations and objectives, not so sure. But then, it is a bonkers gig!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 pm

It is indeed bonkers. Theyll be in the Champions League in a few years.

Group A
-----
Real Madrid
Napoli
Ajax
Barnsley

Just doesn't look right.

Seriously, genuine question to anyone who knows anything at all about Barnsley........ what is it that is drawing a Chinese billionaire to the area? Why not a club like, (yes, ITFC) or a club like Nottingham Forest?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 pm

f**king Barnsley, give me a break, never gonna be a success, I don't care how wealthy these people are.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Dust down the DeLorean ......, head forward 50 years......, Crewe Alexandra; Champions of Europe.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:50 am

Recall back in '97 they got a promotion to the premier league (back then) it was their greatest achievement, but should they get back any time soon with this new ownership, can't envisage any great impact this time around.

Shame in a sense, one of Yorkshire's most obscure teams, forever eclipsed by names such as Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday, it would be great from a neutral perspective if they were eligible for Champions League soccer say within five years, and teams the caliber of Munich and Inter Milan were featured at their stadium but this is all just speculation, in all truth this may well come to nothing. Pity really, other than the aforementioned premier league year and that Play-Off Final in 2000, I don't recall them getting up to much. Wish them well in their endeavors, hope they can put something together.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 am

Bluemike wrote:f**king Barnsley, give me a break, never gonna be a success, I don't care how wealthy these people are.
Perhaps your right but it depends how serious this owner is. I wouldn't say Barnsley as a club are that much smaller than the likes of Bournemouth or Huddersfield, they don't have a new stadium but apart from that they do have a history of playing a decent level. I would look at the likes of Brentford in the Championship now and they have some decent players and a philosophy that could work in the long run, Barnsley could do that if they invested wisely.

That being said it could easily work the opposite way, this guy may not know much about football and could just waste money and make bad decisions, that would get them nowhere! I quite like Barnsley as a club, always found them to be a very friendly lot, good luck to them

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 am

Risk v Reward - is what it will inevitably boil down to. The current Barnsley owner has terminal cancer, and has done all possible to secure the club’s future. Good luck to them.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:26 pm

"And today, Lionel Messi is unveiled as the new striker signed by Yorkshire club, Barnsley. Messi, who is entering the later stages of his career is quoted as saying, "he's where he always wanted to be; Oakwell." "

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:43 pm

marko69 wrote:"And today, Lionel Messi is unveiled as the new striker signed by Yorkshire club, Barnsley. Messi, who is entering the later stages of his career is quoted as saying, "he's where he always wanted to be; Oakwell." "
.......’although Crewe came a very close second’, he addd in his best Northern accent......

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:36 pm

charlton837 wrote:depends on who they bring in as a manager. We know more than most if you get that wrong you have no chance. I would think they will have a new manager by next season, in fact whos to say it wouldn't be Mick... Barnsley lad, bit of money, a manager with lots of championship experience and one that's won promotion a couple of times. Probably not but I wouldn't rule it out completely

The thing is Charlton if they have unlimited money they just keep hiring and firing managers until they get success. I go back again to Leicester City; As soon as the new owners took over they fired Paulo Sousa who’d only been there a month and paid his contract up in full to make way for Sven-Göran Eriksson. They paid Eriksson off because he didnt bring immediate results and replaced him with Pearson who was fired soon after his son brought disrespect to the club. Next was Claudio Ranieri who brought huge success and was given a new 3yr contract only weeks before he too was fired and paid off. His replacement Craig Shakespeare was also given a 3yr contract which was paid up in full after serving less than 8 months to be replaced by Claude Puel. That’s six full time contracted managers paid off in 7yrs, and that’s what clubs with billionaire owners can afford to do which clubs like ours can’t, and that’s what gives Barnsley an edge over non wealthy clubs like Ipswich and many others like us struggling to get out of The Championship moving in the right direction.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Depends, also, if the new owners see themselves in it for the long haul, and where they set their success benchmark.

Man U with Fergusson, and Arsenal with Wenger, are examples where club’s with comparatively deep pockets appointed and stuck with indivuduals who ultimately delivered both long-term stability and success. Not for one second putting Barnsley into their orbit - but all ‘big’ clubs had to start somewhere and, however improbable, who’s to say that Barnsley’s new owners haven’t identified a potential ripe for growth? The US bloke they have on board clearly believes so. Time, as ever, will be final arbiter!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:27 pm

If Keiffer Moore is the level of their ambition i stand by my belief that they will never be anything special

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:53 pm

We bought him Mike !!!and hes our player. :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:40 pm

We bought him nothing pretty much, it was no gamble at all and as it turns out a bloody good investment, MM has realised he ain't up to this level, its a joke signing at 750k just wait and see

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:34 pm

KM naturally didn't want to stay at Town. He knows / see's who is ahead of him in the striker pecking order, and is realistic t know he'd never get a look in. So MM comment of "his head is elsewhere , so he wont be staying " is a bit harsh....as is the all too familiar swipe at Town fans by saying ..."well he's not liked here" ( was ironically cheered when he managed to header the ball) .

McCarthy remains a bitter tool IMO. He can say Fans previous comments about him, make no difference , but clearly they have made every difference

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:07 pm

The trouble is mjate, that is exac tly what the Town fans did do, MM's biggest fault is that he speaks the truth too much and can't keep his mouth shut, I don't think Town fans realise just how much they can influence things with their negativity and down right ignorance at times, the booing during games being a classic example, thankfully it hasn't been so far this season but I reckon it will come.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:10 pm

No doubt he will come back to Portman Road and a ram and winning goal down every bodies throat. :astroll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm

If they stay up.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Why stay up? They play Barnsley 10th April at PR at 7.45pm :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:Why stay up? They play Barnsley 10th April at PR at 7.45pm :shock:
Will he be allowed to play in that you think ?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:Why stay up? They play Barnsley 10th April at PR at 7.45pm :shock:
Will he be allowed to play in that you think ?
Why not? It's not a loan.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 pm

Sometimes its in the terms of the deal that a player won't play against his former club but to be honest I hope he does play.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:21 pm

It's all going swimmingly well so far, Keiffer Moore the big signing, sliding towards the bottom Three and now the manager has departed for a job that will last less than a year, he believed in the takeover clearly.