WHY?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

WHY?

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:59 am

Just watched the u23's highlights there 6-0 win. How is it they play football, nice one touch passing? There is no hoof ball. So why do the first 11 do it. You would think the same style would be played at all levels within the club!! :?

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: WHY?

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:52 pm

That's a great question, Derick. Who is in charge of the U23's?
Edit: just googled it...... Gerard Nash.
Ok, promote him,,...... make it McCartney, Connor & Nash...... maybe even get a HT song going!

Just checked out the U23 results and standings. They're having a great season and sitting 3rd in the Group B table. They beat Coventry 6-0 and Coventry are sitting 4th...... great result.

They do leak a lot of goals though, so maybe that's a reason some are not promoted to the first team. I know that <------ wasn't your question, just privately answering my own question! :D

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 am

Youth football is a million miles different to competitive professional football. Young players who are used to having time and space are then thrown into a world where experienced and incredibly fit pros are constantly charging them down, closing off space and giving absolutely no time to make a pass.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:57 pm

I have to agree with Derick. Many teams have a tactics/style philosophy that translates to all levels of football in their respective organizations. It seems a bit odd to me, that each level would be taught differently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:27 pm

I think its quite simple really, at academy level we have one of the best in Klug, that is widely accepted and he brings kids through along with Nash the right way, however at first team level we lag behind most clubs financially and the type of player we can sign etc arent the best of the bunch and as such are coached to play to their strengths, i dont feel every level at any club would be coached to the same styles etc

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Those running the Academy report to MM who, as Club manager, has significant hands-on input into how it operates and trains etc. But U-18 and U-23 football is light years away from the physical demands of the Cship, where results gained by slugging it out with big, well-organised and determined opposition is often based on fine margins. The Academy will hopefully develop youngsters with skill and potential, and equip them with the technical, physical and mental qualities required for pro football, but all of that’s conducted in a fairly benign environment. Which explains why those who do come through from the Academy are introduced gradually - Downes, Nydam etc are examples. Don’t think, therefore, there are two disconnected training philosophies in place - but two very different environments, where one trains individuals to compete and survive in the other.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:57 pm

You both make some valid points. I would have to take a look at all of the Championship team's youth programs to really know how tactics and style of play translate into first team football. I've always been a fan of Klug, even though our youth program has stuttered a little over the years. However, I do think our academy is looking good now and for the future.