Town’s injury record!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Town’s injury record!

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 am

I’ve posted a couple of times recently on TWTD about this Club’s ridiculous injury record under McCarthy’s reign , and spoken several times to BlueMike about it as well .

Well this was the response by a Town fan , which fully substantiate s my suspicions, sadly!

Textbackup wrote:

To cut a long story short...
Mate of a mate works at the FA, the performance analyst team to be exact, they sent ITFC a couple of profiles on two of our young players, basically warning ITFC to change the way these boys train or risk serious long term injuries.... a certain MM called these guys and told them to stay out of his dealings/business

Look at the injuries within the last 5/6 years, I’ve no doubt that getting players to run through brick walls weekly is probably the reason our players are physically fcked.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Town’s injury record!

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:49 am

This needs more than a "mate of a mate" evidence, Hallam. The entire thing sounds like complete and utter bullshit to me. The only part that sounds correct is Mick McCarthy telling them to basically fk off.

I'd be prepared to bet my mortgage that the training is no more different to any other club. The youngsters/players these days need to stop wondering what's being posted on f**king Facebook and Twitter and start concentrating on their normal, run of the mill, (like every other f**king club) training.

I fking hate sh*t like this, Hallam. You must know that there's nowt wrong with the training?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:48 am

marko69 wrote:This needs more than a "mate of a mate" evidence, Hallam. The entire thing sounds like complete and utter bullshit to me. The only part that sounds correct is Mick McCarthy telling them to basically fk off.

I'd be prepared to bet my mortgage that the training is no more different to any other club. The youngsters/players these days need to stop wondering what's being posted on f**king Facebook and Twitter and start concentrating on their normal, run of the mill, (like every other f**king club) training.

I fking hate sh*t like this, Hallam. You must know that there's nowt wrong with the training?
The only thing wrong with the training is they don't use a ball ! ! :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Liz, do you know this person or just read the article somewhere? I tend to agree with Marko tbh, looking at our injuries etc i dont recall too many being in training. We lost a host of players to a virus, Dozzell against Birmingham, webster against Luton, Didsy against Sheff Wed, Skuse against Reading, Huws against Reading, Bishop yesterday after being injured for years. I think Huws initially got injured in training and Adeyemi is unknown but aside from those Two I cant think of anyone else.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 pm

..... it was a response to my question on twtd . I honestly do believe it is more than just “ bad luck” to get so msny injuries.

The person who replied was alluding to Towns younger players and the risk of long term players juries due to excessive ott training methods for the develop adolescent players. There is a question mark over the number of players who pick up and injuries when so many seem innocuous. Huws returned to pre season training with an Achilles’ tendon injury. Where did that suddenly spring from , over close season? Adeyemi pulls a hamstring warming up before a game. Why? Bishop is now out for 3/4 months with s hsmstrongsfter length ( 2yrs!) of supposed rehab. Didsy is just Didsy. Hyam has been out for nearly 2 seasons. These are not ageing journeyman but young men in the prime of their athletic life! It’s bloody ridiculous. This is a Professional Club - surely they should be looking at these numbers of injuries, mechanisms of injury, strengthening: conditioning regimes, pre season training ( we started the season with god knows how many out injured!!) . Something is not right IMO . This is not s one season blip.

karlywoo

Post by karlywoo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 pm

I,m an old man now, sadly, but as a child i would be at Kenilworth rd alot! AKA Luton Town FC, my father worked for the building company that did all of the work within the grounds, he was also a senior steward, so much of my school holidays etc was spent within the grounds, everyone knew who i was and i would wander around at leisure, nowhere was off limits to me!
So as a lad i of course followed the Town, back in the days of one reserve on the bench etc and wingers that actually ran the lineAlamn Whittaker comes to mind, very simular player to Freddie Sears the way and speed he could move, first off the majority of players played every single sodding game of the season! there was none of this torn/tight hamstring nonsense, i would watch in awe as they would maintain their fitness by runnning up and down the terraces of the Kenilworth rd end, they were quite steep, not just up and down once but over and over!
Fast forward 30 years and i had a partner who,s father was a Town player in the 50,s, now he was a pensioner, but in the summer when in his shorts he still had the leg muscles of a professional footballer, in his 70,s but fit as hell! he could step it up when out on walks!
My point being that todays professional footballers seem to be made of glass, back then the game was way more physical, the pitch resembled the Somme come November but they still played, ran and tackled hard, Town had a centre half called Terry Branston, nickname Chopper Branston, he literally was a battering ram of a player, you had to be clever and very strong to get past that man!!
Its my honest opinion that today we have real lightweights, players that would have never stood a full game back then let alone a season!! squads of 30 something, Town did well if they had 15 outfield players, if someone got injured? THE sub had to play wherever he was needed!
Maybe my memory has faded over the years? possible! but i doubt it, example, Malcom Macdonald a Town legend, that man was as strong as an all in wrestler, no lightweight centre back would stop him! just way too strong,
Maybe todays training methods themselves are causing the injuries by not giving the players the physical strenght they need? there maybe something in it?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:32 pm

But as i said most of those injuries happened in games, Huws and Adeyemi arriving with injuries was not under our training regimes, it was from whoever they were signed from. Hyam even, he was injured at Rotherham and then that tosser at Watford knobbled him a week or two later.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Injuries in training when passing a ball?? I dont think so, doesnt take much effort does it. Now if mick was training them in hoofball that would be a different story. .......oh hang on, thats it!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:28 pm

:roll: I think that its the pre match warm up that concerns me, as Karlywoo has stated when we played years ago, I never once had hamstring problems like they do today, mind you we used to take a hot bath in the waist deep community baths we had at our club, the hot water and stretching exercises we done, use to make sure the hamstrings were not tight but supple, then after the hot dip, we had horse liniment rubbed in the legs to again keep the muscles flexible, more so in the winter when it was brass monkey cold, but the pre match treatment worked, the only injury I had was a double Achilles tendon snaps to both ankles, after I fell awkwardly in a high ball challenge, and was out for 6 weeks, :shock: and apart from the odd ball smacking into the bollocks with a wet leather lace up ball on a cold day, :cry: which fooking brought tears to your eyes, and the occasional dead leg challenge, but nothing like a hamstring problems ever, also I often think that this pre watering the pitch don't help with keeping a sure footing, and a resulting possible muscle tear from a stretching challenge, or a twisting turn on a wet surface wont help with the injury lists, as for the comment on bandy leg Malcolm Macdonald, who couldn't stop a pig in a passage, when he played for us he was a full back, but as stated built like a brick shithouse and bloody quick, and when he played for Tonbridge in the then Southern League, manager Harry Haslam played him up front as a replacement for striker Jock Munn who was injured, and the rest as they say is history, Harry went to Luton as did Super Mac, so are our squad getting the wrong pre match treatment????

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Bishop our for rest of season with a ruptured hamstring.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:30 pm

His record is just unbelievable

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:His record is just unbelievable
Haven't heard it yet. Certainly hoping if he takes it out on tour, there are limited props onstage. Trip, fall, carnage....... few hundred fans wanting their money back. Nasty scene.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:31 pm

A lot of the Pro's from back in the day are walking cripples if they are lucky.

Just think about all the players you have heard about having hip and knee replacement surgery or who now find themselves not being able to get about because they kept playing through injuries.

Players were not harder back in the day they were just kept playing by use of the needle half the time because they had to be due to squad sizes.

All that is happening now is players are getting injured and being looked after rather than being asked to /or forced to keep going which hopefully means that once their careers are over (careers that may last a bit longer) they are still physically capable of getting on with their lives.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:01 pm

It's odd how MM was given loads of stick 3 seasons back about not using Bishop enough because he wanted to blood him in gradually, he repetedly said over using young players too soon can result in serious problems, I.E. Teddy Bishop.

Todd you are spot on, it is common knowledge that Sir Bobby f*cked up Kevin Beattie by having him injected again and again to get him on the field, a great manager but sadly ruined our greatest ever player who was done at 26.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:07 pm

In SBR defence, the damage that corticosteroids can do to joints wasnt known or understood by the medical profession then. Much research since then has identified certain risks.

I administer steroid injections and it’s not advisable to inject more 2 in a year. If a patient comes back for more ( I’d its not got any long term beneficial carry over effects), the patients has to be referred on for orthopaedic opinion.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:14 pm

For me, I do understand that times are different, the game is different etc etc etc, not denying that......... but compared to even as recent as the 80s........ players nowadays are pampered pricks. Love to be a fly on the wall in Kevin Beatties house as he watches Sunday afternoon football, ......, "get up you fkn pussy" will no doubt be heard on occasion.

Seriously though..... what actually happened to change things? Was it school? Did they change the schooling laws? When I was at high school, Rugby at PE consisted of punching lumps out of each other for an hour, then lunch. Everyone was ok.
What the fk happened? When did it all become pussified?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 pm

When some started using forums I guess

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 pm

True!! I've been called a pussy a thousand times more online than in real life! :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:33 pm

marko69 wrote:For me, I do understand that times are different, the game is different etc etc etc, not denying that......... but compared to even as recent as the 80s........ players nowadays are pampered pricks. Love to be a fly on the wall in Kevin Beatties house as he watches Sunday afternoon football, ......, "get up you fkn pussy" will no doubt be heard on occasion.

Seriously though..... what actually happened to change things? Was it school? Did they change the schooling laws? When I was at high school, Rugby at PE consisted of punching lumps out of each other for an hour, then lunch. Everyone was ok.
What the fk happened? When did it all become pussified?
Get yourself enrolled on an academic course and knock out a dissertation, starting with football originally being considered to be the ‘working man’s game’, where players travelled to games on the same busses as supporters, and lived within the communities where they were born - to the arrival of money/huge transfer fees and mega-wages; ambitious owners; Sky TV and the internet; celrbrity status of top players, which trickled down through the leagues and affected attitudes and players’ perceptions of themselves, and their sense of entitlement. Taken together not necessarily positive, making the gap between players - and the very narrow but high-profile environment in which they operate - and the rest of society, increasingly wide and distorted. But it’s reflection of the present, and nobody thought to challenge the direction of travel that got us here.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

herforder wrote:
marko69 wrote:For me, I do understand that times are different, the game is different etc etc etc, not denying that......... but compared to even as recent as the 80s........ players nowadays are pampered pricks. Love to be a fly on the wall in Kevin Beatties house as he watches Sunday afternoon football, ......, "get up you fkn pussy" will no doubt be heard on occasion.

What the fk happened? When did it all

Get yourself enrolled on an academic course and knock out a dissertation, starting with football originally being considered to be the ‘working man’s game’, where players travelled to games on the same busses as supporters, and lived within the communities where they were born - to the arrival of money/huge transfer fees and mega-wages; ambitious owners; Sky TV and the internet; celrbrity status of top players, which trickled down through the leagues and affected attitudes and players’ perceptions of themselves, and their sense of entitlement. Taken together not necessarily positive, making the gap between players - and the very narrow but high-profile environment in which they operate - and the rest of society, increasingly wide and distorted. But it’s reflection of the present, and nobody thought to challenge the direction of travel that got us here.
Nobody challenged cos they were all pussies

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:21 am

Yes, it is all about money at the end of the day, Herforder.

I think it's been a slower process for us up here in all honesty. I think we are still closer to the 80s than the English. Just watched the St Mirren v Dundee Utd game on BT. Very typical hard fought, Scottish game. Very little rolling around. I suppose the thin layer of ice on the grass was largely responsible. Fkn pussies!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 am

MM says he has a squad of 14 players to choose from. Then why is he letting Danny Rowe go out on loan? Fricking idiot!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 am

Bluemike wrote:It's odd how MM was given loads of stick 3 seasons back about not using Bishop enough because he wanted to blood him in gradually, he repetedly said over using young players too soon can result in serious problems, I.E. Teddy Bishop.

Todd you are spot on, it is common knowledge that Sir Bobby f*cked up Kevin Beattie by having him injected again and again to get him on the field, a great manager but sadly ruined our greatest ever player who was done at 26.
I don't think you can say that. Nobody knows Bobby made Beattie have those injections. Medical science was different then. Bobby would of took notice of what the medical team or doctor told him. He is a football manager ffs not a surgeon. Lazio f*cked Beattie up not Sir Bobby.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 am

To be honest I don’t think we’re significantly different to most other clubs who will all carry long injury lists at this time of year. Whilst we weren’t as badly affected as some teams with our extra day to the Fulham fixture, to ask clubs to play 4 games in 10 days over the festive season is utterly ridiculous.

I see Spurs have 3 games in 6 days between 2-7 January, how daft is that for players and fans alike.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Bluemike wrote:It's odd how MM was given loads of stick 3 seasons back about not using Bishop enough because he wanted to blood him in gradually, he repetedly said over using young players too soon can result in serious problems, I.E. Teddy Bishop.

I don't think you can say that. Nobody knows Bobby made Beattie have those injections. Medical science was different then. Bobby would of took notice of what the medical team or doctor told him. He is a football manager ffs not a surgeon. Lazio f*cked Beattie up not Sir Bobby.
All I will say is over the years I have been in the company of a certain Mt Beattie lots of times, I think I can say it.