Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview and Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we Derby's bogey team?

Ipswich Win
29%
Derby Win
43%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 7

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:01 am

Image Ipswich Town v Derby CountyImage

Saturday 30th December 2017 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

Saturday's penultimate home game of the year against QPR proved to be a very disappointing affair, a game which was earmarked by most as Three points saw us pick up a solitary point in what was probably the worst home display of the season, from the minute the team sheet was released it looked anything but the formality we had pretty much all predicted in the build up to the game. The Midfield is really suffering right now with no less than Eight central Midfielders out injured for one reason or another, Teddy Bishop once again rejoining the list of those unavailable, his latest return to the first team failing to even reach half time, it is such a shame for Bish, he had clearly been our best player up until his departure and a couple of runs and one piece of skill in particular showed us all just what we have been missing these last couple of years, hopefully his absence will not be too long this time. I really am not sure what was behind Mick's thinking where his team selection was concerned, Five changes all at once really is too much, add to that Spence who has been pretty solid and Celina who can open up defences and make things happen both consigned to the bench with Iorfa & Sears coming in, I just didn't get it at all, I am not Grant Ward's biggest fan by any means but following his efforts at Wolves where I felt he was our best player he too can count himself unlucky to be on the bench. I jut don't get this "resting players" nonsense, at some time or another you really do have to at least try and stick to something resembling a settle side, continuity is a big thing and while you can do nothing about injuries I just fail to see how chopping and changing for the sake of it can do any good, for me Knudsen was always going to come back in and Bishop for Bru was a no brainer but the rest should have been as you were, I believe we would without question have won that game had we stuck with Celina, Ward & Spence instead of crap like Sears who for me offers absolutely nothing and hasn't done for 18 months.

As disappointing as it was to let two points slip away it isn't terminal and we are still on the heels of the leading pack, clearly derby are going to be toguh nuts to crack but as we showed at their place you never do know. I suppose Seventy Five points has to be the benchmark for the play offs and with that total you would be very unlucky to miss out, so with us sitting on Thirty Six points with Twenty Two games to go we need Thirty Nine points from a possible Sixty Six, a very tall order indeed but it is close to a repeat of what we have already achieved in the first half of the season with what for me has been a decimated squad for large parts of the campaign. So to simpify it, Thirteen wins and Nine defeats is the minimum target, piece of cake. One thing that did stand out for me is that of the Nine teams above us we have already travelled to Wolverhampton, Cardiff, Derby, Leeds, Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough & Aston Villa, that is by no means an easy set of fixtures and it means some of our remaining away trips should be against lesser clubs that offer a greater chance of wins, it also means our home form needs to continue along the lines of what it has been prior to the QPR game and should we do that we give ourselves every chance. The second half of the season promises to be very interesting indeed, getting a few of the injured back will help enormously and a couple of additions in the transfer window would not go amiss either.

Our final League game of 2017 sees Derby County come to town, last seasons home game against the Rams was pretty embarrassing in truth and a repeat performance of that night just will not do, we need to defend as we did at their place back a few weeks back to stand any hope. They are finally starting to look like a team capable of getting into the top Two and being just Two points off that spot will be going all out to win this one, their current form is incredible, they have won Six of the last Eight and kept Seven clean sheets in that run of games, Callum Connolly's goal for Town the only one conceded in Eight matches !!! How sweet it would be to be the next team to put a goal or Two past them. They are a team littered with quality throughout, Carson, Keogh, Huddlestone, Russell, Weimann, Vydra, Thorne, Lawrence, Nugent, johnson, Martin, the list goes on and on so Town will have to be at their very best, that said we've beaten them once so confidence can be gleaned from that. I must be honest this is not particulary one of the games I have pinpointed in the Thirteen that need to be won so this would be a real bonus should we get the points, I am feeling this has draw written all over it and that would be far from a disaster either but let's end 2017 with a bang, over to you Mick, let's get the starting line up right please !!! COYB'S

The Opposition

Derby County F.C. was formed in 1884 as an offshoot of Derbyshire County Cricket Club in an attempt to give players and supporters a winter interest as well as secure the cricket club extra revenue, playing their home matches at the cricket club’s Racecourse Ground.

Arguably the most important game in the club's history came in the 1886 FA Cup, when a 2–0 victory over Aston Villa, already an emerging force in English football, helped establish Derby County F.C. on the English football map, helping the club to attract and an invitation into the inaugural Football League. In 1895 the club moved to a new stadium, The Baseball Ground (so called because it was previously used for baseball), which became their home for the next 102 years and adopted their traditional colours of black and white.

Although Derby were inconsistent in the league, they were a strong force in the FA Cup, appearing in three finals in six years around the turn of the 20th Century but lost all three.

Between 1906 and 1925 Derby had some inconsistent years, with a number of relegations and promotions between the First and Second Divisions of the Football League. However, the appointment of George Jobey in 1925 kick-started a successful period for the Rams and, after promotion in 1926, the club became a formidable force, with high finishes from the late 1920s and all through the 1930s, including finishing runners up twice.

Derby were one of several clubs to close down during the Second World War but restarted in the early 1940s. Derby were one step ahead of the opposition when competitive football resumed with the 1946 FA Cup and won their first major trophy with a 4–1 victory over Charlton Athletic. The League restarted the following season after a break due to World War II and, under the management of Stuart McMillan, finished fourth and third in the 1948 and 1949 seasons respectively, before a steady decline set in and the club was relegated in 1953 after nearly 30 years in the top flight, and again in 1955 to drop to the third tier of English football for the first time in their history.

In 1967, Brian Clough and Peter Taylor took over and led them to their greatest glory. Derby were promoted to the First Division in 1969, finished fourth in 1970, but got banned from competing in Europe due to financial irregularities in 1971 and won their first ever Football League Championship in 1972. Though Derby did not retain their title the following season, they did reach the semi-finals of the European Cup. They lost to Juventus in a controversial match which was subject to subsequent allegations that the Italian club had bribed the match officials, leading Clough, to call the Italians "cheating bastards". Clough's frequent outspoken comments against football's establishment eventually led to him falling out with the board of directors at the club, and Clough and Taylor left in 1973. Such was their impact on the club that, 37 years later, a 9'0 high bronze statue of the pair was erected outside the Pride Park Stadium in commemoration of their legacy.

Despite the departure of Clough and Taylor, Derby's League success was repeated in the 1974–75 season when they won the title. However, Derby's form declined towards the end of the 1970s and they went down to the Second Division in 1980. Though they challenged well in their first season, Derby's stay in the Second Division was not a happy one and they were relegated to the Third Division for only the second time in their history in 1984.

After the relegation, the club appointed Arthur Cox who turned the club around with successive promotions in the mid-1980s to get the club back into the old First Division in 1987.

The club was relegated back to the Second Division in 1991 due to lack of investment. At this time, local newspaper businessman Lionel Pickering became the majority shareholder of the club. In 1995 Jim Smith became the new manager and, although the new season started slowly, throwing his brief of 'a top-half finish' out of the window, Smith guided the Rams to a second-place finish and the Premier League, now the top flight of English football. After finishing an admirable 12th in their first season back into the top flight, the club left the Baseball Ground, its home of 102 years, to move into the new 33,597-seat Pride Park Stadium for the 1997–98 season.

The club settled well into its new home as it recorded back-to-back top 10 finishes for the first time since their 1970s peak, before a sudden decline at the turn of the millennium saw three years of struggle,before the Rams were relegated after a six-year stay in the top flight. in 2002. Former Ipswich Town boss George Burley was brought in as manager, but the club was put into receivership then sold in October 2003 for £3 to a group led by Jeremy Keith.

After finishing 20th in the 2003–04 season, a dramatic improvement in the 2004–05 season saw Derby finish 4th in the Football League Championship, qualifying for a promotion play-off spot, though they lost in the semi-finals to Preston North End. Soon afterwards, Burley resigned citing differences between himself and the board.

In April 2006 a consortium of local businessmen led by former vice-chairman Peter Gadsby bought the club, reducing its debt and returning Pride Park Stadium to the club's ownership in the process. In June 2006, former Preston North End boss Billy Davies was appointed Derby County's new permanent manager. In his first season, Davies took Derby to the Premier League via the playoffs. After a poor start to the season, manager Billy Davies left by mutual consent in November.

He was succeeded by Paul Jewell, who failed to save the club as Derby suffered the Premier League's earliest ever relegation, in March,and recorded the Premier League's lowest-ever points total.

Derby's match at home to Sheffield United on 13 September 2008 generated much media coverage as it was approaching a year since Derby's last league win, a run which saw the club break the English league record for most matches without a win.

Just four days short of the anniversary, Derby finally won earning Paul Jewell his first league win as Derby boss at his 27th attempt. Jewell resigned as manager in December 2008 after a run of just 2 wins in 11 matches. He was replaced by Nigel Clough, son of former manager Brian.

He led the club to 18th place and safety. After two disappointing seasons that saw the club finish in the bottom half of the table, Derby finished the two subsequent seasons in 12th and 10th place. Clough was sacked 9 games into the 2013–14 season, and was replaced by former Derby player and assistant manager Steve McClaren.

Under McClaren the club finished third in the Championship and reached the final of the play-offs, where they lost to Queens Park Rangers.

In the 2014/15 season Derby could only manage an 8th place finish after a terrible slump post Christmas and McClaren was dismissed at the end of May to be replace by Paul Clement.

Derby made the playoffs in the 15/16 season, but lost to the eventual winner of the playoff final in Hull Tigers.

Last season Derby could only manage 9th place, 13 points off 6th place. Gary Rowett became Derby manager in March 2017.

The Manager – Gary Rowett

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Milne on Bart

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32860

Contract Options

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5334878

Fans react to Teddy Bishops Injury

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5334037

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 10th place with 36 points

Ipswich Town 0-0 QPR

Wolverhampton 1-0 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 2-0 Reading FC

Middlesbrough 2-0 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 4-2 Nottingham F.

Derby FC Last 5 Matches – Currently in 4th place with 45 points

Hull City 0-0 Derby County

Derby County 3-0 Millwall FC

Derby County 2-0 Aston Villa

Barnsley 0-3 Derby County

Derby County 1-0 Burton Albion

Fixtures of Interest

CARDIFF CITY VS PRESTON N.E. (FRIDAY)

BRENTFORD VS SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

MIDDLESBROUGH VS ASTON VILLA

HULL CITY VS FULHAM

Match Referee – Oliver Langford

IPSWICH TOWN 1 DERBY COUNTY 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Excellent preview....... Especially the 13 wins, 9 defeats stuff. Yes, it makes people like me even lazier bstds than usual, but I really do love being spoon fed the eventualities.

And quote:
I jut don't get this "resting players" nonsense, at some time or another you really do have to at least try and stick to something resembling a settle side, continuity is a big thing and while you can do nothing about injuries I just fail to see how chopping and changing for the sake of it can do any good.......,
End quote.

^^^ absolutely spot on. A settled side will learn so much more from the defeats when they happen...... And make adjustments for the next game. The constantly changing is really like "wiping the slate clean" again. (Injury aside of course)

You could well be very correct about the draw written all over it, but..... Hmmmmm, I don't know. After QPR, sensing defeat. A performance like the one v Reading would be awesome for the fans and maybe even achieve that draw, or a win?

Ref caption:
Chambers: WHERE THE FK IS SKUSEY?
Ref: Err, I might be wrong Luke, but I think I overheard him say he's off to the bat cave.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 am

Could go any way, team's so erratic you never what will occur. Thought f*ck it and went for a high score draw, both teams have attacking capabilities but defensive deficiencies also. Nugent is something unprintable on a family oriented forum, can only hope the individual has a day off tomorrow and misses the opportunity to inflict further damage on ourselves after previous encounter.

Ipswich 3 Derby County 3

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 am

Both teams have defensive deficiencies? Yeah with seven clean sheets in the last Eight games Derby are woeful at the back aren't they !!! Where do you get this from.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:09 am

I'm also troubled by the idea of resting the better players. But on the other hand Mick sees them on the training ground and they do many many fitness tests every week. So I'm guessing that he has a pretty good idea of the players that need a rest at any moment in time.

Bear in mind also that with our long injury list the last thing required is to push players into too many games in a short spell. If I were Mick and the training fitness stats tell me to rest a player I would not argue at this point. The time to push them harder is when we have a fully fit squad.

I'm hoping that Skuse will return today.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:29 am

It's just odd Dubai that it is always the same players who need a rest, Spence, Celina, Ward, not buying it im afraid.

Like you I hope Skuse returns today but I am not expecting it, was sorely missed against QPR and the alternative of Bru is bloody painful.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:14 pm

0-2 Not surprised though..will be if we get something out of this game. :cry:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm

1-2 come on Garner get another one

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:01 pm

4 points in 5 Dec games.
Out of the top 10.
We need to invest to get out of this division!!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:12 pm

Dont need to invest to get relegated. Just need to sign quality players on loan and leave them on the bench. Derby and fulham always going to be tough games but qpr where there for the taking and MM f*cked it up. He said he was dissapointed with that tesult but all town fans were disapointed with the starting 11. Forget investment, get rid of mick

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:06 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:Dont need to invest to get relegated. Just need to sign quality players on loan and leave them on the bench. Derby and fulham always going to be tough games but qpr where there for the taking and MM f*cked it up. He said he was dissapointed with that tesult but all town fans were disapointed with the starting 11. Forget investment, get rid of mick
WELL SAID. Have been saying the same for a while now. We won't go down but we wont go up either with this idiot in charge.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:36 am

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:Dont need to invest to get relegated. Just need to sign quality players on loan and leave them on the bench. Derby and fulham always going to be tough games but qpr where there for the taking and MM f*cked it up. He said he was dissapointed with that tesult but all town fans were disapointed with the starting 11. Forget investment, get rid of mick
What was the problem with the starting 11, ITNO1? Waghorn, Celina & Garner all starting with Sears dropped? No Skuse (most people delighted I assume) Spence on, Iorfa on bench etc etc?

What was the issue? No McGoldrick until the 70th min? Or just Bru on from the start?

Must admit, I looked at it and was ok with it pre-game.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:01 am

Feel a degree of jealousy with them in truth. They (the opposition) possess a young manager with ideas and direction and can put a run of results together. They find themselves in an automatic promotion berth if correct and already possess a realistic chance of making EPL status next season with still half the course to complete. All reports indicate they wanted it more today and therein lies the problem, a team with determination and focus against another that only performs in parts and goes missing for considerable duration. All done, there's only going to be one winner.

Yes the starting XI was admirable, Celina got a start and in other players i.e. Connolly and Waghorn that initially featured, that alone was good enough to provide a chance, but seems they allowed Derby too much room to perform and our side only realized the predicament once their second had been achieved. Of course the injury roster is a factor, we got a number of individuals out but that alone shouldn't dictate a game. If only Evans would invest in the team and show some damn interest about club direction, no need to berate McCarthy further, whatever deficiencies were out there today, wouldn't have been entirely to do with the manager. Disappointed, but there is still ample time in the weeks and months ahead to do something.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:50 am

marko69 wrote:
What was the problem with the starting 11, ITNO1? Waghorn, Celina & Garner all starting with Sears dropped? No Skuse (most people delighted I assume) Spence on, Iorfa on bench etc etc?

What was the issue? No McGoldrick until the 70th min? Or just Bru on from the start?

Hi marko. I was talking about the lineup for qpr. My point was supposed to be that even with investment will mick pick the best team available each week. I very much doubt it. Add that to the way he behaves to media and fans i no longer have time for him.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 am

marko69 wrote:

Main problem is Derby had way more quality than we did. Our midfield was completely controlled by them and dominated, especially in first half. I think we need Connolly further forward as he’s our only threat in the middle right now, he has been trying to cover Skuse but we then lose his influence in that middle, bru just can’t do it.

But that derby squad is strong, built on some serious money

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:59 am

I think it was fairly clear to see that yesterdays game was merely a case of Two teams pitted against each with a chasm in quality and class dividing them, the first half in particular was a steep lesson to Town and at times we were run ragged, especially in the Midfield area where we just have no available quality at the moment, the space we afforded them was at times ridiculous and their impressive passing was just too much for us to cope with. There is no doubt we also got it a bit wrong again too with MM once more seeming keen on containment for as long as possible without really "giving it a go" and this is what frustrates me so much as we have been pretty good at home in most matches and that is playing to our strengths so to go all cautious again just hands the initiative to the opposition and when they are as good as Derby it is a recipe for defeat.

The starting line up was pretty sond with the exception of Kevin Bru but we lack any other central Midfield players at present, although seeing Ward switched to a more central position after the break would probably have been the way to go from the off. To allow ourselves to fall behind to such a poor poor goal against a team of this ilk was just pathetic, Tom Lawrence sent a cross to the back post and some really bad marking/defending allowed Sam Winnell virtually a free header, Knudsen was cruelly lacking and not for the first time this season and the ball seemed to take an age to creep past a rooted Bart who made little effort to move towards it, so simple but very poor from our point of view. Within seconds some real keystone Kops defending by Webster & Chambers almost gifted them a second but Vydra somehow blazed over the bar with Bart bearing down on him, the defending had to be seen to be believed as the crowd vented their frustration at the Two hapless CB's. It was all Derby and wave after wave of attacks were coming and going but it seemed a matter of time before they increased their lead, Vydra again and Lawrence bot going close before finally Town almost scored themselves from what was our first real clear cut chance, it was that man Connolly again getting his head on a corner but this time a Derby player cleared it off the line and away to safety. In truth though it was derby creating good chances at will but finding it tough to get them on target from really good positions but some of the build up play and approach work was very impressive indeed, it was Town's turn to clear off the line as half time neared, Jordan Spence to our rescue. It was Town turns to again try their luck, this time the quiet Celina going on a bit of a run before unleashing a shot from distance that wasn't too far off the mark. Surprisingly we managed to get to half time only One down but in truth it should have been Four at least given the way they carved us open and created great opportunities, our Midfield had been non existent again, Connolly had workded hard but was being overrun, Celina had seen little of the ball and when he did get it he was all too easily dispossessed while Ward saw a fair bit of the ball seems intent on alwas running up a dead end or into trouble, Kevin Bru yet again showed why we were happy to let him and go and more importantly why nobody else wants him, he is garbage, pure and simple, can't tackle, cant pass, goes hiding when things are tough and generally offers feck all protection the back Four. Much of the pressure on the back Four stemmed from the Midfield issues but some of the defending was at times very poor it has to be said.

The second half started in outrageous fashion with Sam Winnall grabbing a goal of the season contender from what must have been near on 30 yards, cutting in from the Left and unchallenged he let fly with a screamer that shot passed bart and found the top corner of the net, it happened so fast it was hard to appreciate just what a goal it was, the ball seemed to dip and bend and turn all at the same time, incredible strike and one which really did seal the deal. To Town's credit they improved greatly after this set back but really had little choice but to give it a go. With Town looking far better in their passing a looking to get forward we were open to being caught out at the back and Derby were still creating chances of their own, Bru had a golden chance at the back post to head us back into it but put it wide of the mark following some good play by Grant Ward, finally a few minutes later our improved play and pressure did see us pull one back, Waghorn's excellent delivery being met by Joe Garner's head as the Derby defenders did their best to look like ours and gift the striker all the space in the world to nod past Carson. For a few minutes after our goal it was all Town, panic seemed to have set in in the Derby ranks and we were pushing them back, substiture Didsy had a header go narrowly wide and one or two other half chances went begging, it was evident Derby were now looking to run the clock down and Carson in the derby goal was time wasting at every opportunity, that said they still posed a threat going forward as we were taking risks in our quest to get level. Iorfa had come on for Webster and made a couple of decent forays forward to help support the attack but that one Golden chance just would not fall our way. We did create one final half decent chance but Knudsen headed into the side netting when a cushioned header back across goal was probably the better option.

It was always going to be a tough game as Derby have a team littered with quality while we have virtually our whole Midfield wiped out with injury, that said we still pay teams way too much respect and seem to set ourselves up to counter how they play instead of taking our game plan to them, this was definitely the case in the first Forty Five minutes and it cost us dear. It seems to take us going behind before we kick into action and believe in ourselves and suddenly we look a dangerous team, ok they may or may not have taken their foot off the gas at 2-0 up but looking at how they were wobbling at times in the final quarter of the game I would like to think it was how we stepped it up a bit that made the change. It is a disappointing result and not totally unexpected as Derby look the real deal at last, with so many injuries you can only go to the well so many times before it goes dry and this situation finally seems to have caught up with us, my opinion is we do without any doubt miss Cole Skuse more than any other player who is out, his assured presence in front of the back line is grealty missed not to mention his ball winning and break up play etc, add to that the loss of all our creative Midfielders and we are struggling to retain any possession for any period of time. With no sign of many returning any time soon it looks like we have to bring some new faces in to bolster the squad, whether they are loans matters not but something needs to happen or the season will peeter out, the way results went yesterday see's us still in a half decent place but with another tough game at Fulham on the horizon points need to start flowing again and soon.

Bart (6) Spence (6) Chambers (6) Webster (6) Knudsen (5) Ward (6) Connolly (6) Bru (4) Celina (6) Waghorn (7) Garner (6)

SUBS :- McGoldrick (5) Iorfa (6)

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Result notwithstanding, it provided more entertainment than the turgid QPR effort - two teams well matched in mediocrity on the day, and a more realistic opportunity wasted.

Although we improved in the last 30 of the second half, following Garner’s header from Waggy’s most effective corner of the afternoon - Derby’s first goal conceded since our winner at their place - in reality we huffed and puffed more in hope than expectation of scoring again in open play. Have to applaud the never say die attitude, and effort put in, but some of the ‘basics’ of the game were well below standard. Misplaced, easy, passes: second-best to 50/50 balls; too many passes to try and get over the half-way line; hoofing the ball up to 5’9” Joe Garner who was completely in the pocket of the Derby CBs etc etc. Yes, Derby were superior in just about every dept, not to mention their star-spangled bench, but some of our players are capable of much, much better - even taking account of MM’s decision to afford Derby far too much respect.

No question, given our devastated midfield and possible loss of Webster, that ME has got to act. However, MM’s post match comments, were not encouraging. Hopefully we can at least get Skuse back sooner rather than later - as Bluemike states, never was there a match in which his absence was so blindingly obvious. But if the likes of Wolves and Derby are setting the quality and consistency benchmark, then yesterday was a stark reminder of how much we will need to improve to get near it.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:I think it was fairly clear to see that yesterdays game was merely a case of Two teams pitted against each with a chasm in quality and class dividing them, the first half in particular was a steep lesson to Town and at times we were run ragged, especially in the Midfield area where we just have no available quality at the moment, the space we afforded them was at times ridiculous and their impressive passing was just too much for us to cope with. There is no doubt we also got it a bit wrong again too with MM once more seeming keen on containment for as long as possible without really "giving it a go" and this is what frustrates me so much as we have been pretty good at home in most matches and that is playing to our strengths so to go all cautious again just hands the initiative to the opposition and when they are as good as Derby it is a recipe for defeat.

The starting line up was pretty sond with the exception of Kevin Bru but we lack any other central Midfield players at present, although seeing Ward switched to a more central position after the break would probably have been the way to go from the off. To allow ourselves to fall behind to such a poor poor goal against a team of this ilk was just pathetic, Tom Lawrence sent a cross to the back post and some really bad marking/defending allowed Sam Winnell virtually a free header, Knudsen was cruelly lacking and not for the first time this season and the ball seemed to take an age to creep past a rooted Bart who made little effort to move towards it, so simple but very poor from our point of view. Within seconds some real keystone Kops defending by Webster & Chambers almost gifted them a second but Vydra somehow blazed over the bar with Bart bearing down on him, the defending had to be seen to be believed as the crowd vented their frustration at the Two hapless CB's. It was all Derby and wave after wave of attacks were coming and going but it seemed a matter of time before they increased their lead, Vydra again and Lawrence bot going close before finally Town almost scored themselves from what was our first real clear cut chance, it was that man Connolly again getting his head on a corner but this time a Derby player cleared it off the line and away to safety. In truth though it was derby creating good chances at will but finding it tough to get them on target from really good positions but some of the build up play and approach work was very impressive indeed, it was Town's turn to clear off the line as half time neared, Jordan Spence to our rescue. It was Town turns to again try their luck, this time the quiet Celina going on a bit of a run before unleashing a shot from distance that wasn't too far off the mark. Surprisingly we managed to get to half time only One down but in truth it should have been Four at least given the way they carved us open and created great opportunities, our Midfield had been non existent again, Connolly had workded hard but was being overrun, Celina had seen little of the ball and when he did get it he was all too easily dispossessed while Ward saw a fair bit of the ball seems intent on alwas running up a dead end or into trouble, Kevin Bru yet again showed why we were happy to let him and go and more importantly why nobody else wants him, he is garbage, pure and simple, can't tackle, cant pass, goes hiding when things are tough and generally offers feck all protection the back Four. Much of the pressure on the back Four stemmed from the Midfield issues but some of the defending was at times very poor it has to be said.

The second half started in outrageous fashion with Sam Winnall grabbing a goal of the season contender from what must have been near on 30 yards, cutting in from the Left and unchallenged he let fly with a screamer that shot passed bart and found the top corner of the net, it happened so fast it was hard to appreciate just what a goal it was, the ball seemed to dip and bend and turn all at the same time, incredible strike and one which really did seal the deal. To Town's credit they improved greatly after this set back but really had little choice but to give it a go. With Town looking far better in their passing a looking to get forward we were open to being caught out at the back and Derby were still creating chances of their own, Bru had a golden chance at the back post to head us back into it but put it wide of the mark following some good play by Grant Ward, finally a few minutes later our improved play and pressure did see us pull one back, Waghorn's excellent delivery being met by Joe Garner's head as the Derby defenders did their best to look like ours and gift the striker all the space in the world to nod past Carson. For a few minutes after our goal it was all Town, panic seemed to have set in in the Derby ranks and we were pushing them back, substiture Didsy had a header go narrowly wide and one or two other half chances went begging, it was evident Derby were now looking to run the clock down and Carson in the derby goal was time wasting at every opportunity, that said they still posed a threat going forward as we were taking risks in our quest to get level. Iorfa had come on for Webster and made a couple of decent forays forward to help support the attack but that one Golden chance just would not fall our way. We did create one final half decent chance but Knudsen headed into the side netting when a cushioned header back across goal was probably the better option.

It was always going to be a tough game as Derby have a team littered with quality while we have virtually our whole Midfield wiped out with injury, that said we still pay teams way too much respect and seem to set ourselves up to counter how they play instead of taking our game plan to them, this was definitely the case in the first Forty Five minutes and it cost us dear. It seems to take us going behind before we kick into action and believe in ourselves and suddenly we look a dangerous team, ok they may or may not have taken their foot off the gas at 2-0 up but looking at how they were wobbling at times in the final quarter of the game I would like to think it was how we stepped it up a bit that made the change. It is a disappointing result and not totally unexpected as Derby look the real deal at last, with so many injuries you can only go to the well so many times before it goes dry and this situation finally seems to have caught up with us, my opinion is we do without any doubt miss Cole Skuse more than any other player who is out, his assured presence in front of the back line is grealty missed not to mention his ball winning and break up play etc, add to that the loss of all our creative Midfielders and we are struggling to retain any possession for any period of time. With no sign of many returning any time soon it looks like we have to bring some new faces in to bolster the squad, whether they are loans matters not but something needs to happen or the season will peeter out, the way results went yesterday see's us still in a half decent place but with another tough game at Fulham on the horizon points need to start flowing again and soon.

Bart (6) Spence (6) Chambers (6) Webster (6) Knudsen (5) Ward (6) Connolly (6) Bru (4) Celina (6) Waghorn (7) Garner (6)

Thanks Mike.

I'm finding yesterdays defeat hard to accept as lack of fight and pressure + the manner of the first goal in particular has nothing to do with the injuries. Even with better players in the team things would have been the same. We've had loads of very poor home matches at Portman Road in the last couple of seasons and lack of energy/pressing has been the case with him in the team. But blaming Douglas was the easiest option for some especially last season.

Any time when it comes to a poor performance the 'automatic excuse' is that we missed Skuse. Mike please ! We don't miss him. He wouldn't have made any difference yesterday.
What we miss is a creativity and spark in our midfield and he doesn't offer that. We miss someone who could carry the ball forward and make some decent passes towards strikers. From the players we have in our ranks we badly miss Huws and Adeyemi we miss them much more than Skuse. I can name several games from the last seasons when we had been doing absolutely fine without Skuse and several ones where he had been poor/average.

We could have a long debate about that.

Teams have a go at us, we keep shipping goals so what kind of protection does he offer?

Bru is utter cack and I agree with you and he's been hopeless for a while. Large number of our fans didn't see that last year though as scapegoating Douglas was the easiest option for them.

If you think that we badly missed Skuse and I'm talking crap re him have a look at this clip below. This is the from the match against Derby last season, against the same opponent. Dismal 0-3 defeat with Skuse in the team. All goals conceded in the first half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kaqWSKjtHU

Watch his 'contribution' prior to Derby's goals from that game.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm

saint jude wrote:Feel a degree of jealousy with them in truth. They (the opposition) possess a young manager with ideas and direction and can put a run of results together. They find themselves in an automatic promotion berth if correct and already possess a realistic chance of making EPL status next season with still half the course to complete. All reports indicate they wanted it more today and therein lies the problem, a team with determination and focus against another that only performs in parts and goes missing for considerable duration. All done, there's only going to be one winner.

Yes the starting XI was admirable, Celina got a start and in other players i.e. Connolly and Waghorn that initially featured, that alone was good enough to provide a chance, but seems they allowed Derby too much room to perform and our side only realized the predicament once their second had been achieved. Of course the injury roster is a factor, we got a number of individuals out but that alone shouldn't dictate a game. If only Evans would invest in the team and show some damn interest about club direction, no need to berate McCarthy further, whatever deficiencies were out there today, wouldn't have been entirely to do with the manager. Disappointed, but there is still ample time in the weeks and months ahead to do something.
IF is the big word SJ, :lol: :lol: :lol: he aint done it ( a substantial investment on some quality players) since Micks been here, so why should he start now, Derby, Wolves & Brizzle City have spent wisely and are reaping the rewards, as are Cardiff, all with good Managers insitu, I always had hoped for a manger like Gary Rowlett to be at Ipswich rather than Mick, but as the saying goes, when you pay peanuts you only get Monkeys work for you, FACT, just hope Mick goes end of season, and ME sells up, and see what the future brings in. :)

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:I think it was fairly clear to see that yesterdays game was merely a case of Two teams pitted against each with a chasm in quality and class dividing them, the first half in particular was a steep lesson to Town and at times we were run ragged, especially in the Midfield area where we just have no available quality at the moment, the space we afforded them was at times ridiculous and their impressive passing was just too much for us to cope with. There is no doubt we also got it a bit wrong again too with MM once more seeming keen on containment for as long as possible without really "giving it a go" and this is what frustrates me so much as we have been pretty good at home in most matches and that is playing to our strengths so to go all cautious again just hands the initiative to the opposition and when they are as good as Derby it is a recipe for defeat.

Thanks Mike.

I'm finding yesterdays defeat hard to accept as lack of fight and pressure + the manner of the first goal in particular has nothing to do with the injuries. Even with better players in the team things would have been the same. We've had loads of very poor home matches at Portman Road in the last couple of seasons and lack of energy/pressing has been the case with him in the team. But blaming Douglas was the easiest option for some especially last season.

Any time when it comes to a poor performance the 'automatic excuse' is that we missed Skuse. Mike please ! We don't miss him. He wouldn't have made any difference yesterday.
What we miss is a creativity and spark in our midfield and he doesn't offer that. We miss someone who could carry the ball forward and make some decent passes towards strikers. From the players we have in our ranks we badly miss Huws and Adeyemi we miss them much more than Skuse. I can name several games from the last seasons when we had been doing absolutely fine without Skuse and several ones where he had been poor/average.

We could have a long debate about that.

Teams have a go at us, we keep shipping goals so what kind of protection does he offer?

Bru is utter cack and I agree with you and he's been hopeless for a while. Large number of our fans didn't see that last year though as scapegoating Douglas was the easiest option for them.

If you think that we badly missed Skuse and I'm talking crap re him have a look at this clip below. This is the from the match against Derby last season, against the same opponent. Dismal 0-3 defeat with Skuse in the team. All goals conceded in the first half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kaqWSKjtHU

Watch his 'contribution' prior to Derby's goals from that game.
:roll: I can see where your coming from Mach, slow is the word, his legs are shot, no pace getting at the opposition, we need big changes in the Midfield and a quality CH would help, Get shod of Knudsen, Chambers, Bru, Skuse and Sears and bring in some quality under a new Manager, Mick always reverts to his old ways, Parking the bus at home FFS it invites trouble, and only about 15'000 town fans shows they are pissed right off with Micks tactics, and wont return until he's gone.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:58 pm

Mach I know you and One or two others are never going to agree about Skuse and you always do exactly what you accuse the fans of doing to Douglas last season, you make him out to be a scapegoat, with all due respect you didn't see the game, plenty of fans at HT and after the game were of the opinion Skuse was sorely missed, Herforder on here has said the same thing, it doesn't take much footballing nous to see that was the case yesterday, I am really not interested in looking at a clip of a player who may or may not have been poor at that given time, i could do it with anyone if I could be bothered, even our precious keeper but I don't see the point in it.

How exactly are we missng Huws & Adeyemi when they have played what Five games between them ? You cannot miss what you have never had, if we relied on these lightweights every week we would have no team to field, as potentially good as they are I am afraid they are pussies along with Bishop & Webster. It is all about opinions regarding players but I like to think I rate every player on each individual game as opposed to already having an opinion on one certain player prior to every game starting, that is plain stupid.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:27 pm

As the main holding midfield player, Skuse is not going to be that pacey, attacking, creative force that some clearly demand that he should be; and then criticise because he isn’t. But whilst we possess - when fit and available - players who can potentially fill those slots, we don’t have anyone as effective as Skuse able to sit in front of the back four, break up play, frustrate the opposition and win key tackles - something glaringly absent yesterday, further highlighted by the shortcomings of those MM selected, and the roles he gave them in team set up.

His felllow pros and team coaches recognise his unglamorous, but critical, contribution. But perhaps because he goes about his work in a quiet, unflashy, manner, this attracts the often unfair criticism he gets. In this league, and at this club, he does a solid job.

Interestingly, I think his effectiveness has been enhanced with young Connolly alongside him. Better quality players make a difference. ME take note, please.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm

Amen.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Think Skuse is like marmite..You either love or hate him :D

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:Mach I know you and One or two others are never going to agree about Skuse and you always do exactly what you accuse the fans of doing to Douglas last season, you make him out to be a scapegoat, with all due respect you didn't see the game, plenty of fans at HT and after the game were of the opinion Skuse was sorely missed, Herforder on here has said the same thing, it doesn't take much footballing nous to see that was the case yesterday, I am really not interested in looking at a clip of a player who may or may not have been poor at that given time, i could do it with anyone if I could be bothered, even our precious keeper but I don't see the point in it.

How exactly are we missng Huws & Adeyemi when they have played what Five games between them ? You cannot miss what you have never had, if we relied on these lightweights every week we would have no team to field, as potentially good as they are I am afraid they are pussies along with Bishop & Webster. It is all about opinions regarding players but I like to think I rate every player on each individual game as opposed to already having an opinion on one certain player prior to every game starting, that is plain stupid.
Mike

I'm not making Skuse a scapegoat by saying that we don't particularly miss him. If in your opinion I do this so you do exactly the same with Knudsen and Sears every time they perform badly or do even slight mistake you keep berating them. McCarthy is entirely at fault for having destroyed Sears. Yes he is poor today, he's on the Colchester level but this is McCarthy's fault. You won't admit it though as you think you have valid reasons to think differently of him or other players. Same as me and everyone else.

I didn't see the Derby game so what? I've seen several other matches where teams found it easy to have a go at us even though that brilliant, fantastic, amazing Skusey played in front of back hour and offered nothing. Even Burton Albion sensed their chance and had a go at us.

I get your stance though: any time things go wrong the automatic excuse is that we miss Skuse. It's so lame.

You don't even want to watch that clip where is bang evident how he 'protected' us against the same opponent last season. 0-3 defeat, all three goals conceded in the first half and his contribution was pathetic. And now you say that 'we missed him' last Saturday.

How exactly are we missing Huws and Adeyemi? We do miss what they can offer as players. Their calibre. Their forward thinking not just stroll in front of back four.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:18 pm

You do make him a scapegoat as whenever we lose or play badly you cannot help yourself but mention him, every post has to mention him in a negative way, the biggest thing is that when he does play well you aren't able to praise him, I don't think it has ever happened. Look at my thoughts on all games and you will see sometimes Knudsen has had good marks from me, if he plays well I say it, these are comments from games earlier in the season,
I have never been Jonas Knudsen's biggest fan but today take a bow Jonas cus you were without doubt the MOTM, a rock at the back and so organised and disciplined
It was fitting that our MOTM Jonas Knudsen stepped in to do the fist pump and he did Chambo proud and boy how he loved it
I just don't get why if Skuse was pathetic in this game last season that we didnt miss him Saturday ? What logic is that ?

As for Sears, different argument altogether and not really rellevant but I do not accet MM has ruined him, that is a lame excuse for a player that is just not and never has been very good, yes he came in and scored a few goals well guess what so did DJ Campbell, Sears has been played out of position at times, so what ? He still gets into strikers positions and fucks it up every single time, Guess what Waghorn is a striker being played all over the place and he aint doing too bad is he, Chambers Two seasons at RB, didn't keep crying about it, he got on with it, Sears just needs to go I am afraid.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:You do make him a scapegoat as whenever we lose or play badly you cannot help yourself but mention him, every post has to mention him in a negative way, the biggest thing is that when he does play well you aren't able to praise him, I don't think it has ever happened. Look at my thoughts on all games and you will see sometimes Knudsen has had good marks from me, if he plays well I say it, these are comments from games earlier in the season,
I have never been Jonas Knudsen's biggest fan but today take a bow Jonas cus you were without doubt the MOTM, a rock at the back and so organised and disciplined
It was fitting that our MOTM Jonas Knudsen stepped in to do the fist pump and he did Chambo proud and boy how he loved it
I just don't get why if Skuse was pathetic in this game last season that we didnt miss him Saturday ? What logic is that ?

As for Sears, different argument altogether and not really rellevant but I do not accet MM has ruined him, that is a lame excuse for a player that is just not and never has been very good, yes he came in and scored a few goals well guess what so did DJ Campbell, Sears has been played out of position at times, so what ? He still gets into strikers positions and fucks it up every single time, Guess what Waghorn is a striker being played all over the place and he aint doing too bad is he, Chambers Two seasons at RB, didn't keep crying about it, he got on with it, Sears just needs to go I am afraid.
Oh please Mike !!!! How can you say that I'm not able to praise Skuse when he plays well? Last time I did so was last November in my Whatsapp messages to you after the televised match against Sheffield Wed and after the Derby match a few days later (I particularly mentioned peoples comments as I didn't travel myself to Derby).

All in all we'll never agree on him. Painfully average and slow player who somehow gets pampered by number of our fans no matter how he plays. I can't help indeed just to mention him when he offers nothing. What logic is in that question you asked? Just because I find so strange and bizarre that any time when things go wrong the automatic excuse is that we missed Skuse. That game against Derby last season showed that we had been even worse with him against same opponent.

We need quality and pace in midfield. Not players with such lax attitude like him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:28 pm

This is like being at a f*cked pedestrian crossing in Oxford Street two days before Christmas...... do not DARE cross!