Fulham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 points to start 2018?

Fulham Win
88%
Ipswich Win
No votes
Draw
13%

Total votes: 8

number 9

Re: Fulham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:There is no doubt what was the turning point in last night's game, a moment of madness as the Red mist descended saw Jordan Spence lose his head following his ridiculous challenge on the Fulham player, as he trundled off the pitch he took our chances of an unlikely win with him, clearly he is getting loads of abuse on social media today and to an extent rightly so, I would never condone that type of lunacy as it ruined my night for and 2000 others for sure, but, and this is a big but for me, I want to see Town players show passion, albeit channelled in the right way, I wan't them to show they care, Spence does that and to a degree this silly error shows he cares more than some I could mention, yes he will learn from it and hopefully not be so daft again. There is an even bigger but for me here though, the officials, if they had done their job correctly I do not believe for one second this whole silly scenario ever happens, seconds before Spence waded in a Fulham player did similar to Sears right under the nose of the Linesman who it has to be said was just about the worst I have ever seen, no flag nothing, it was an awful decision which in my eyes went a long way to costing us the game, It wasn't just this decision either, nearly every small decision went their way, some had to be seen to be believed, Sears should have been awarded the free kick, Spence doesn't go wading in, no Red card and every likliehood we get the win as for 55 minutes they may have had all the possession but they just weren't hurting us or causing Bart any great drama, the MM game plan was working and working well.

What followed the sending off was a capitulation the like I have rarely seen but I just can't get upset about that as events leading up to it played a massive part and for ten minutes we were just all over the place, I wasn't happy by any means but some of the fallout, particularly to the manager again is just plain OTT in my book, I do not think there was anything he could have done to stop the players from going awol all over the defensive area, one or two bounces went their way for a couple of goals and that is what happens when things turn against you. Again it looks like we have pivked up injuries with Ward going off before HT and Connolly later in the game as he was struggling, add to that Spence suspended for Three games, bare bones doesn't come close. Anyone going to the cup game saturday be prepared for a repeat of Crystal Palace away as it will be a similar line up, a repeat performance of that night will do very nicely thanks.
BM, I'm curious to know what MM was doing on the sidelines during the capitulation? Was he screaming and shouting and jumping up and down?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:38 pm

I've got to be honest Number 9, I have no idea, it was all so bloody quick and I was more into watching the game, I doubt very much he could have done anything such was the ferocity of the turnaround.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:It may not have been that dramatic Dubai but it was still a foul for sure.
I'm with you on that but Spence's reaction was unfortunately well out of proportion.
Oh absolutely, he lost the plot and cost us a potential win.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:22 pm

number 9 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:There is no doubt what was the turning point in last night's game, a moment of madness as the Red mist descended saw Jordan Spence lose his head following his ridiculous challenge on the Fulham player, as he trundled off the pitch he took our chances of an unlikely win with him, clearly he is getting loads of abuse on social media today and to an extent rightly so, I would never condone that type of lunacy as it ruined my night for and 2000 others for sure, but, and this is a big but for me, I want to see Town players show passion, albeit channelled in the right way, I wan't them to show they care, Spence does that and to a degree this silly error shows he cares more than some I could mention, yes he will learn from it and hopefully not be so daft again. There is an even bigger but for me here though, the officials, if they had done their job correctly I do not believe for one second this whole silly scenario ever happens, seconds before Spence waded in a Fulham player did similar to Sears right under the nose of the Linesman who it has to be said was just about the worst I have ever seen, no flag nothing, it was an awful decision which in my eyes went a long way to costing us the game, It wasn't just this decision either, nearly every small decision went their way, some had to be seen to be believed, Sears should have been awarded the free kick, Spence doesn't go wading in, no Red card and every likliehood we get the win as for 55 minutes they may have had all the possession but they just weren't hurting us or causing Bart any great drama, the MM game plan was working and working well.

What followed the sending off was a capitulation the like I have rarely seen but I just can't get upset about that as events leading up to it played a massive part and for ten minutes we were just all over the place, I wasn't happy by any means but some of the fallout, particularly to the manager again is just plain OTT in my book, I do not think there was anything he could have done to stop the players from going awol all over the defensive area, one or two bounces went their way for a couple of goals and that is what happens when things turn against you. Again it looks like we have pivked up injuries with Ward going off before HT and Connolly later in the game as he was struggling, add to that Spence suspended for Three games, bare bones doesn't come close. Anyone going to the cup game saturday be prepared for a repeat of Crystal Palace away as it will be a similar line up, a repeat performance of that night will do very nicely thanks.
BM, I'm curious to know what MM was doing on the sidelines during the capitulation? Was he screaming and shouting and jumping up and down?

3 goals in 7 Minutes, it would take him that long to work out a plan let alone implement it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
number 9 wrote:

3 goals in 7 Minutes, it would take him that long to work out a plan let alone implement it.
I was just curious how he was reacting, mate

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 pm

it takes MM about 25 mins to decide whether to bring a sub on let alone to make a tactical change