Ipswich Town vs Leeds Utd Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really Need a Win huh?

Ipswich Win
25%
Leeds Win
50%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 12

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Leeds Utd Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
herforder wrote:Seeing BC’s goal again, dredged up a reminder of a similar wonder-strike, against Leeds in a FA Cup second replay at PR, many moons ago(70s). Clive Woods won the match with what was possibly the best goal I have ever seen at PR. As a winger, he hit a shot from just inside the Leeds half which dipped, bent, swerved and beat the Leeds GK all ends up. It was in the same class as some of the most amazing Brazilian goals we’ve seen over the years. It stunned the entire 38,000 crowd crammed into PR. Much like BC’s goal yesterday! That Leeds team was full of the stars of that era. Happy days to occasionally look back on.
I was at Filbert Street in 1975 for the 3rd FA Cup replay against Leeds when Woods banana shot won us the game. Still one of the most memorable Town goals for me and I was convinced then we were going to the Cup Final especially as we had already beaten Liverpool in the 3rd round at PR.
Unfortunately Mr Thomas had other ideas in the Semi’s.

Another gem you’ve dug up there Shed. I was at three of the four Cup QF games v Leeds but missed the first replay at Elland Road which we almost won until Duncan McKenzie made it 1-1 in the 90th minute. Town hosted the first game at Portman Road three days earlier which ended 0-0 in front of a record 38010 crowd including myself standing behind the goal in Churchmans in my last season on the terrace before buying my first season season ticket. Leeds at the time we’re one of the most dominant teams in English football, they were reigning League Champions, playing in the European Cup losing in the final to Bayern Munich. Town had qualified for the UEFA Cup. Fixture congestion meant a two week gap to the second replay at Filbert Street on a Tuesday night which finished 0-0 and back we came again two days later on the Thursday. I still remember when the teams were announced there was no Kévin Beattie who was injured and in came 17yr old John Wark making his debut and what a debut it was. For the first time in four games there were plenty of goals and Town ran out 3-2 winners with the best as Shed described saved till last. Another great night for travelling Town fans.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 pm

herforder wrote:Seeing BC’s goal again, dredged up a reminder of a similar wonder-strike, against Leeds in a FA Cup second replay at PR, many moons ago(70s). Clive Woods won the match with what was possibly the best goal I have ever seen at PR. As a winger, he hit a shot from just inside the Leeds half which dipped, bent, swerved and beat the Leeds GK all ends up. It was in the same class as some of the most amazing Brazilian goals we’ve seen over the years. It stunned the entire 38,000 crowd crammed into PR. Much like BC’s goal yesterday! That Leeds team was full of the stars of that era. Happy days to occasionally look back on.
Was Gary Sprake the Goalkeeper who had a penchant for letting in goals?

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Interestingly, Sprake was apparently involved in bringing an allegation of match fixing against Don Revie - legendary Leeds manager - who went on to manage England. He resigned suddenly and without any real explanation, and decamped to the Middle East - where he earned a very large fortune by the standards of the mid/late 70s. Apparently Sprake has been treated as persona non grata at Elland Road for many years. All history now, but quite interesting.

jackscat

Post by jackscat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:30 pm

i was at the Filbert St matches too and remember well John Wark's tussles with Alan Clark. Reading the reports of the Leeds fans antics at PR on Saturday brought back more memories of those games in Leicester. After the victory some Leeds fans got around the police cordon on the way to the coach park. My Dad, bless him, still thought we lived in an age of friendly rivalry when fans waved their rattles at each other. He said to the hooligans that they'd had a good run and now it was our turn for glory - exact words. We hustled Dad around the coaches and away from the bovver. Evidently the hooligan element still thrives in Leeds.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 pm

It very much still thrives in Leeds, you only have to look at the pub across the road from the stadium to see most of them, avoid it at all costs.