Play offs

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Play offs

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:34 am

Over the last 10 years an average of 73 points has been required to reach the Play-offs. Town have 39 points with 19 games left. So to give are selves any hope we will need to win 12, 36 points. That would give us a total of 75 if we lost the other 7 games. Personally I don't think this is achievable. Any thoughts.

Chambo's Fist Pump

Re: Play offs

Post by Chambo's Fist Pump » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

Defeatist much!?! :lol:

17 days of the transfer window to go - possibility of getting in the players to give us a boost.

Yes it's an uphill battle but we've got a squad capable of nicking 6th place, we've been desperately unlucky with injuries (plus the needless suspension of Spence) and we've been found wanting because of it but on our day we can beat anyone in this division and i include Wolves in that.

4 big games coming up before we play Norwich and i think was can take 10 points from them - ambitious yes, impossible no.

Draw with Wolves and wins against Bolton, Sunderland & Burton.

It's by no means going to be easy but it's achievable

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am

Derick, this is exactly what i put in the preview a couple of weeks back and it is as Chambos Fist Pump says still far from impossible, a tall order for sure but we do need to beat Bolton, Sunderland and Burton to have any chance. I think Sheff utd are now finding it tough and the mighty Bristol City are starting to implode, that for me is the negative effect of a good cup run, it's just too much for a small club to handle.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:46 am

Just can't see it myself.
Some of the other clubs who also think they might be in with a shout will no doubt strengthen their squads this window where as I can't see that being the case with us. Anyhow, if it did happen then it could very well mean Mick being given the opportunity to take up his contract extension and him deciding to accept it.
As we are often being told "BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:48 am

Surely if he pulled off the impossible and got us up he would deserve the extension ? Not that I have changed my feelings on the situation.

Chambo's Fist Pump

Post by Chambo's Fist Pump » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:57 am

I'm hoping for the best :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 pm

With the best will in the world I can reallistically only see Nine more wins max but you never do know.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:Surely if he pulled off the impossible and got us up he would deserve the extension ? Not that I have changed my feelings on the situation.
Mike
If he pulled off the impossible and got us up I don’t know about a contract extension he would deserve a f****** knighthood! :lol:
I believe that he should have gone after the Cup replay against Lincoln last year. However, for all his faults except for Magic, Evans has always given his managers time to try and turn things around. Some might argue too long.
I’m still not convinced that Mick won’t be here next season regardless of what happens between now and May. However, what does concern me is the uncertainty about his future and like we have seen regarding certain players contracts it could very well be a case of this continuing to run and run until the last possible moment.
If Evans feels that he wants Mick to stay then imo he should be pressing him to make his decision now not wait until the end of the season for him to make his mind up. On the other hand if Evans is not going to offer him an extension to his contract then let’s look at getting a new manager in now so he has plenty of time to assess the squad for next season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:07 pm

I actually believe there is Zero chance of him being here next season.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:I actually believe there is Zero chance of him being here next season.
You never know he could go from Zero to hero! :lol:
Was looking out for you before the game yesterday and then saw you had gone down with some mysterious illness! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Bluemike wrote:I actually believe there is Zero chance of him being here next season.
You never know he could go from Zero to hero! :lol:
Was looking out for you before the game yesterday and then saw you had gone down with some mysterious illness! :lol:
Mate I got absolutely smashed Friday night and wasnt home until 4.15AM, to say i suffered Saturday was putting it more than mildly, for me to miss football tells you everything, I tried to get ready around 2pm but it was just impossible tbh LOL.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:14 pm

I think there is more chance of Donald Trump going one hour without tweeting than ITFC making the play-offs.

But there is always a chance. I know there are issues in various areas, but maybe if Kay-Nood can play at CB until the end of the season, that'd go a long way in helping the cause. In Celina, Wag, Garner, they have the ability to score goals if provided with chances from midfield, (not the air)

Over to you Mevans, (and Mick) to get the midfield set up this January.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 am

Pity is the team's got the capabilities to finish top six but then that's where the problems lie. McCarthy did well two or three years back but no dispute in Norwich winning over those two games. Not pleasant to allow them plaudits and recognition, but credit where it's due, they were deserving to get beyond ourselves and then Middlesbrough to re-entry the EPL that calendar year.

Not only that, all those failures other than 2000 while we have been involved (each and every time losing over a two game set-up, never making the actual Final event) is a concern, the team seems to lose it's way once we're involved in the end of season games and hasn't shown enough commitment or bravery to make it through. If the Ipswich squads of say 1999 or 2004 were unable (very good teams assembled back then incidentally) were unable to navigate the top six objective, then there seems little in the way of the 2018 team bringing additional hope or support to the issue.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:34 am

saint jude wrote:Pity is the team's got the capabilities to finish top six but then that's where the problems lie. McCarthy did well two or three years back but no dispute in Norwich winning over those two games. Not pleasant to allow them plaudits and recognition, but credit where it's due, they were deserving to get beyond ourselves and then Middlesbrough to re-entry the EPL that calendar year.

Not only that, all those failures other than 2000 while we have been involved (each and every time losing over a two game set-up, never making the actual Final event) is a concern, the team seems to lose it's way once we're involved in the end of season games and hasn't shown enough commitment or bravery to make it through. If the Ipswich squads of say 1999 or 2004 were unable (very good teams assembled back then incidentally) were unable to navigate the top six objective, then there seems little in the way of the 2018 team bringing additional hope or support to the issue.
Has anybody got a decoder?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 am

Read it 6 times, I'm still screwed

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Lol , me nether :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:55 pm

....when the seagulls follow the trawler.......(Eric Cantona and St J. From the same school of enigmatic bobbins!) :mrgreen:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 pm

MM

That's; midnight medication.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:Surely if he pulled off the impossible and got us up he would deserve the extension ? Not that I have changed my feelings on the situation.

If the impossible were to happen and Town did achieve promotion MM should be paid a considerable bonus followed by his P45.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Charnwood wrote:

If the impossible were to happen and Town did achieve promotion MM should be paid a considerable bonus followed by his P45.
Is that the type of aircraft that will fly him out of Ipswich? :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 pm

number 9 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Is that the type of aircraft that will fly him out of Ipswich? :lol:

Probably not necessary as I’m sure there’d be plenty of fans more than happy to carry him out. All said and done his signing of Tottenham defender Cameron Carter-Vickers can only improve the odds of us scraping into the play offs, although if this is going to happen our strikers will have to up their game after scoring only three goals in our last six games.