Top secret

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Top secret

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:51 pm

I’ve just checked, his Everton Contract runs to June 2019 so maybe he would be more expensive but I still don’t think it would run above £1m.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Also dependent upon how he’s assessed in terms of future potential. Is he being groomed for certain progress into the Everton first team? Or, if not yet certain, can he be released for a sensible fee, and thereby free-up his wage?. The latter would be in line with the club’s need to reduce squad size. Remaining with us until May, leaves one year on his current contract. Assuming Everton would be prepared to sell, and either MM, or a successor, would want him in permanently, then a fee of around £750K might well do it - possibly with appearances or sell on clauses.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:36 pm

marko69 wrote:
herforder wrote:Now is our winter of discontent....made glorious summer when Mick fu*ks off!
My God, I nearly choked on a Frys Cream there! :lol: . That is absolutely hilarious, Herforder. I done Richard III in Higher English. I read the start of that ^^^ and wondered where it'd go....., bravo, dude. That was superb. :D
Glad it amused......I love Fry’s Cream :)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 pm

herforder wrote:
marko69 wrote:
herforder wrote:Now is our winter of discontent....made glorious summer when Mick fu*ks off!
My God, I nearly choked on a Frys Cream there! :lol: . That is absolutely hilarious, Herforder. I done Richard III in Higher English. I read the start of that ^^^ and wondered where it'd go....., bravo, dude. That was superb. :D
Glad it amused......I love Fry’s Cream :)

Me too, but I can’t remember the last time I ever spotted one of these on the shelf anywhere, do they still make it ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:13 am

Fry’s don’t exist now do they ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Yes, 3 for a quid @ Tesco. Or in my case, 12 for 4 quid.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 pm

marko69 wrote:Yes, 3 for a quid @ Tesco. Or in my case, 12 for 4 quid.

The original Fry’s choccie was made by that firm, based in Bristol. At some point it was bought (swallowed up? ) by Cadbury, whilst retaining original Fry’s name. In turn Cadbury, of Bournville fame, was purchased by US firm Kraft. Which probably explains why the modern variant tastes quite a lot different from the original shown in Charny’s picture. (Was also a bit partial to Fry’s Turkish Delight......but that’s another story!)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Is that right? I did not know that. Must admit, up here in Scotland, it was more of a Granny's chocolate bar and didn't really eat them at all back then. Was only by accident that I nicked one on purpose out of the fridge at home....... was great. Although the screams of "who ate my Frys Cream?" wasn't so enjoyable.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:26 pm

marko69 wrote:Is that right? I did not know that. Must admit, up here in Scotland, it was more of a Granny's chocolate bar and didn't really eat them at all back then. Was only by accident that I nicked one on purpose out of the fridge at home....... was great. Although the screams of "who ate my Frys Cream?" wasn't so enjoyable.

Stop that tartan, Fry’s Cream loving, thief...... ! Oops, too late :)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 pm

herforder wrote:
marko69 wrote:Yes, 3 for a quid @ Tesco. Or in my case, 12 for 4 quid.

The original Fry’s choccie was made by that firm, based in Bristol. At some point it was bought (swallowed up? ) by Cadbury, whilst retaining original Fry’s name. In turn Cadbury, of Bournville fame, was purchased by US firm Kraft. Which probably explains why the modern variant tastes quite a lot different from the original shown in Charny’s picture. (Was also a bit partial to Fry’s Turkish Delight......but that’s another story!)

Now you’re talking...

Yum yum !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:30 am

Would like to ask Mick McCarthy to take a look at a modern day Frys Turkish Delight. In that Yorkshire accent: "Look at tit size o' that? Ah remember back in the day lad, a Turkish delight was tit fkn huuuuuge!"

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:08 pm

Hmmm, speaking as someone who is on a 40 day no sugar (added) diet I'm not sure if I can survive many more of these pictures :lol:

As for Connolly (it was this thread wasn't it? :wink: ) I would expect wages to be a bit of an issue. Surely even Everton 2nd string player would have wages outside of our 'structure' if one still exists.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Might be a case of chosing to play regular football at a lower level, gaining experience and exposure, as a means of moving back to the PL and the land of milk and honey. Depends how realistic his chances are of getting into Everton’s first team, and whether the money’s more important than playing. Might be the case that his performances with us attract bids from elsewhere, and with deeper pockets than ME - including other Cship clubs. If we were able to do a deal, then he’s the sort of quality we should be trying to bring in.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Other than a couple of years age I dont see much difference in Callum Connelly and Tom Lawrence who took a Championship move to Derby County as means to get to the Premiership which looks highly likely as paying off.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:51 am

Charnwood wrote:Other than a couple of years age I dont see much difference in Callum Connelly and Tom Lawrence who took a Championship move to Derby County as means to get to the Premiership which looks highly likely as paying off.
to be honest I don't think Connolly is anywhere near as good as Lawrence. Don't get me wrong he is decent, but hes not in the same league. Lawrence was a much more mature, complete player, he took a few months to get going but he single handedly dragged us through half of last season.

Connolly is a different sort of player, probably a bit more raw and has potential, but for example I don't think Connolly would get in the top championship sides, whereas Lawrence can (although hes not played every game at Derby).

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:21 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:Other than a couple of years age I dont see much difference in Callum Connelly and Tom Lawrence who took a Championship move to Derby County as means to get to the Premiership which looks highly likely as paying off.
to be honest I don't think Connolly is anywhere near as good as Lawrence. Don't get me wrong he is decent, but hes not in the same league. Lawrence was a much more mature, complete player, he took a few months to get going but he single handedly dragged us through half of last season.

Connolly is a different sort of player, probably a bit more raw and has potential, but for example I don't think Connolly would get in the top championship sides, whereas Lawrence can (although hes not played every game at Derby).

On that basis if Tom Lawrence found the need to drop down a level to move his career on then Connelly will most likely need to do the same, which I guess is the point I was trying to make.
If he enjoys his season with us we could be in the running to sign him however he may prefer to join a club with shorter odds for promotion, or more likely be out of our price range.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Given that Connolly was signed originally as a defender, and is doing a very effective job alongside Skuse, it might be argued that he’s more versatile at this level than TL. Don’t think we’re necessarily comparing apples with apples.