Top secret

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Top secret

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 am

CB coming in from Man City, will be announced in the coming hours. Smith leaving saturday.

charlton837

Re: Top secret

Post by charlton837 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 am

Bluemike wrote:CB coming in from Man City, will be announced in the coming hours. Smith leaving saturday.

Nice, a fit Vincent Kompany should be adequate cover in the Championship.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 am

Doubt it will be him lol

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:02 pm

im sure its likely to be a youngster of some form. Loan till end of season I imagine. I know many don't rate Smith but ill be sad to see him leave, I think hes been a good servant for us, and when he was at his best I think he was a decent player at this level, probably our biggest threat from set pieces too. I would wish him good luck with whatever he decides to do

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Certainly was decent a few seasons ago. I think he actually won both players player of the year, and he also won player of the year votes on this forum.

But it all turned to sh*t. Arguably not his fault and could be down to managerial changes during those years. For me, I blame SKY TV. Every single time he was on live TV, he was Shyte. Proper Shyte.

But all the absolute very best to Tommy if and when he does leave.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Also looking more likely that Bart will go to Palace, as I think the other GK move to them had fallen through?!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:41 pm

marko69 wrote:Certainly was decent a few seasons ago. I think he actually won both players player of the year, and he also won player of the year votes on this forum.

But it all turned to sh*t. Arguably not his fault and could be down to managerial changes during those years. For me, I blame SKY TV. Every single time he was on live TV, he was Shyte. Proper Shyte.

Think you’ll find it is another example of McCarthy’s inability to play players in their correct positions. He played him on the wrong side of the CB pairing to accommodate Chambers at RB and Berta on HIS favoured left . Smith is a 100% er yes, but very one dimensional. He can only kick the ball with his left , and was constantly goofing out of play when forced to play with his right foot.

Good old McCarthy knows best, apparently! The Utter pr*ck !

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:57 pm

hallamblue wrote:
marko69 wrote:Certainly was decent a few seasons ago. I think he actually won both players player of the year, and he also won player of the year votes on this forum.

Think you’ll find it is another example of McCarthy’s inability to play players in their correct positions. He played him on the wrong side of the CB pairing to accommodate Chambers at RB and Berta on HIS favoured left . Smith is a 100% er yes, but very one dimensional. He can only kick the ball with his left , and was constantly goofing out of play when forced to play with his right foot.

Hallam, do you think MM has anything to do with Garner and Waghorn's lack of goals recently? They were both flying at the beginning of the season! :astroll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:CB coming in from Man City, will be announced in the coming hours. Smith leaving saturday.

Must be on this list of 72 somewhere!

Manchester City football club current squad.

Manchester City's current squad showing all allocated squad numbers as well as those players without current squad numbers.

Sqd no. Player Position
1 Claudio Bravo Goalkeeper
2 Kyle Walker Defender
3 Danilo Defender
4 Vincent Kompany Defender/Centre back
5 John Stones Defender
7 Raheem Sterling Midfielder/Forward
8 İlkay Gündogan Midfielder
10 Sergio Agüero Forward
11 Samir Nasri Midfielder
14 Wilfried Bony Forward
15 Eliaquim Mangala Defender/Midfielder
17 Kevin De Bruyne Midfielder/Forward
18 Fabian Delph Midfielder
19 Leroy Sané Midfielder/Forward
20 Bernardo Silva Midfielder
21 David Silva Midfielder
22 Benjamin Mendy Defender
24 Tosin Adarabioyo Defender
25 Fernandinho Midfielder
27 Pat Roberts Midfielder/Forward
28 Jason Denayer Defender
30 Nicolás Otamendi Defender
31 Ederson Goalkeeper
33 Gabriel Jesus Forward
35 Olexsandr Zinchenko Midfielder
42 Yaya Touré Midfielder
43 Lukas Nmecha Forward
44 Javairô Dilrosun Midfielder/Forward
45 Demeaco Duhaney Defender
46 Shay Facey Defender
47 Phil Foden Midfielder
49 Arijanet Murić Goalkeeper
50 Pablo Maffeo Defender
51 David Faupala Forward
52 Kean Bryan Midfielder
54 Angus Gunn Goalkeeper
55 Brahim Díaz Midfielder
57 Aaron Nemane Midfielder
58 Charlie Oliver Defender
59 Bersant Celina Midfielder
60 Kjetil Haug Goalkeeper
62 Brandon Barker Midfielder/Forward
63 Sinan Bytyqi Midfielder/Forward
64 Joel Latibeaudiere Defender
65 Matt Smith Midfielder
66 Iker Pozo Midfielder
68 Thierry Ambrose Midfielder/Forward
69 Angeliño Defender
72 Tom Dele-Bashiru Midfielder
73 Benjamín Garré Midfielder/Forward
75 Aleix García Midfielder
76 Manu García Midfielder
77 Cameron Humphreys Defender
78 Rodney Kongolo Midfielder
79 Ed Francis Defender
80 Lorenzo González Forward
82 Jacob Davenport Midfielder
84 Sadou Diallo Midfielder
86 Ash Kigbu Defender
88 Paweł Sokół Goalkeeper
89 Taylor Richards Midfielder
90 Tyreke Wilson Defender
91 Rabbi Matondo Midfielder
92 Henri Ogunby Midfielder
0 Olarenwaju Kayode Forward
0 Anthony Caceres Midfielder
0 Luke Brattan Midfielder
0 Isaac Buckley-Ricketts Forward
0 Ivan Ilić Midfielder
0 Luka Ilić Midfielder
0 Marlos Moreno Midfielder/Forward
0 Joe Hart. Goalkeeper

Anyone fancy stabbing a guest of who will be keeping Bersant Celina company ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:16 pm

No idea who it is but its from a very good source so hopefully true, I see it is now being reported on TWTD and elsewhere that the loan signings of Simon Gleeson and a unnamed CB will be confirmed in the morning, Connor Goldson being mentioned again but this could well turn out to be the Man City guy

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 pm

I’ve heard of Stephen Gleeson who used to play for MK Dons but not a Simon Gleeson, is he another of MM’s signings from across the Irish Sea that nobody has heard of ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 pm

No sorry i meant Stephen lol

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Bluemike wrote:No sorry i meant Stephen lol

Not sure what he adds to what we’ve got other than another wage to pay, do we really need him or do we have greater areas of priority like our defence which I thought could do with bolstering. I maybe wrong but I don’t see Gleeson getting much game time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 am

Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:No sorry i meant Stephen lol

Not sure what he adds to what we’ve got other than another wage to pay, do we really need him or do we have greater areas of priority like our defence which I thought could do with bolstering. I maybe wrong but I don’t see Gleeson getting much game time.
Probably to replace Bru who looks like finally leaving which I am pleased about.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Well it wasnt Man City but a Premier league CB non the less, this is a fab signing!!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 pm

So Tottenham defender Cameron Carter-Vickers it is. I can’t say I know much about him but until recently he appears to have been a regular starter in most of Sheffield Uniteds games where he’s been on loan since August. I don’t know the circumstances which saw his loan come to an end however it would be interesting to know why especially given the player thought he’d be there all season. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t walk straight into the team at Bolton tomorrow and hopefully he’ll settle quickly into a back four which shoul benefit from his presence. Like you Bluemike I think he’s a great signing for us.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Without doubt a very good addition, who played well against us recently! Big, strong, pacey with C’ship experience. Believe Shef Utd have recently signed a perm defender from Southend, so perhaps either chose to cut short C-V’s loan for budgetary reasons, or because they could no longer guarantee him a regular starting slot - depends what the terms of the original loan agreement were. In any event, their loss is most definitely our gain. Would expect him to start tomorrow, with Jonas reverting to LB, vice Kenlock.

As for the MC link, referred to by Mike, it’s possible that it arose from the intensive round of phone calls/enquiries he said he’s been making - most without success. A potential loan deal may well have been on the cards, but ultimately came to nowt. Situations change on an hourly basis - similar to the Brighton CB situation. But with Gleeson having joined on a perm basis, quite possibly another loan player will arrive.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:43 pm

I hadn’t realised Stephen Gleeson was a permanent signing, which now makes more sense assuming he turns out to be a good one. Does anyone know much about him ?

I’m playing golf tomorrow with a Brum supporter, i’ll Check out his thoughts on our new acquisition.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:23 pm

short term contract until end of season, released and paid off by Birmingham. Im guessing hes nothing special, not writing the guy off but im thinking hes going to be a bit of a stop gap/backup player for us. Hes still 29 or something so not that old but I don't see a long term future here for him unless he does something very special

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 pm

herforder wrote:Without doubt a very good addition, who played well against us recently! Big, strong, pacey with C’ship experience. Believe Shef Utd have recently signed a perm defender from Southend, so perhaps either chose to cut short C-V’s loan for budgetary reasons, or because they could no longer guarantee him a regular starting slot - depends what the terms of the original loan agreement were. In any event, their loss is most definitely our gain. Would expect him to start tomorrow, with Jonas reverting to LB, vice Kenlock.

As for the MC link, referred to by Mike, it’s possible that it arose from the intensive round of phone calls/enquiries he said he’s been making - most without success. A potential loan deal may well have been on the cards, but ultimately came to nowt. Situations change on an hourly basis - similar to the Brighton CB situation. But with Gleeson having joined on a perm basis, quite possibly another loan player will arrive.
Without going into too much detail you may well be right regarding the Man City link, it was passed onto my contact by a relative of a player now about to depart PR.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 pm

A contract until the end of the season seems fairly sensible. Depending upon how much playing time he gets, and how he performs, allows his future to be reviewed in May - either by MM, or his successor. Personally, with Sam Allardyce indictating the need to reduce size of the Everton squad, would like to see the water tested with a perm bid for Connolly.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:31 pm

What would you bid for Connolly? Worth £2-3m? Maybe a cheeky £1.5m to test the water. Its difficult to know the value of someone like him given his age and lack of experience.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Given his age and lack of experience I’d guess his value would be less than £300k with Everton protecting themselves with sell on causes. However given he’s out of contract in May 2018 he will probably move on for free unless Everton want to offer him a new contract to stay.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:47 am

herforder wrote:Without doubt a very good addition, who played well against us recently! Big, strong, pacey with C’ship experience. Believe Shef Utd have recently signed a perm defender from Southend, so perhaps either chose to cut short C-V’s loan for budgetary reasons, or because they could no longer guarantee him a regular starting slot - depends what the terms of the original loan agreement were. In any event, their loss is most definitely our gain. Would expect him to start tomorrow, with Jonas reverting to LB, vice Kenlock.

That's him on the bench then!! :lol:

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:Given his age and lack of experience I’d guess his value would be less than £300k with Everton protecting themselves with sell on causes. However given he’s out of contract in May 2018 he will probably move on for free unless Everton want to offer him a new contract to stay.
You think? I would think in the millions, depending how well regarded he is at Everton. If it was 300k we would have bought him. We paid over 500k for Grant Ward and he was in a similar position in a way. Difficult to know but if we could get Connolly for less than £1m its a no brainer...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 pm

I doubt Connolly would be anywhere near that cheap, I expect him to be at least 1.5 million, I may be way off.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:19 pm

number 9 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Hallam, do you think MM has anything to do with Garner and Waghorn's lack of goals recently? They were both flying at the beginning of the season! :astroll:
I would probably cut McCarthy some slack on the strikers form tbh. We have so many injuries to our creative midfielders, I don’t think they are getting much service into the box. But I d9 th8nk McCarthy tactics are mostly over cautious. We rarely take the game to our opponents, Home or away.

I would add the scums performance vs Chelsea reserves is what I would hope Town would offer its fans. But this will never happen under McCarthy. Roll on the summer

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Now is our winter of discontent....made glorious summer when Mick fu*ks off!

Except that there’s no certainty that he will; and if he does, we’ll still be left with Evans. How much better off are we likely be? Possibly - hopefully - playing better football based on winnng, as opposed to not losing, football matches, but ultimately continuing to tread water in the Cship.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:38 am

herforder wrote:Now is our winter of discontent....made glorious summer when Mick fu*ks off!
My God, I nearly choked on a Frys Cream there! :lol: . That is absolutely hilarious, Herforder. I done Richard III in Higher English. I read the start of that ^^^ and wondered where it'd go....., bravo, dude. That was superb. :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:I doubt Connolly would be anywhere near that cheap, I expect him to be at least 1.5 million, I may be way off.

Why would he be that expensive Mike if he’s out of contract in May. When we signed him on loan he still had a season of contract to run which I assume would have made him more valuable, but maybe i’ve got this all wrong.