4/1 arrives early at Elland Road

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

4/1 arrives early at Elland Road

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Leeds United have introduced a new club emblem to 'celebrate' a centenary year approaching and it has caused outrage and ridicule from home supporters and rival fans respectively. At first glance, the first thought was not above banal, but if they're seriously going to implement this for another generation then can only feel a degree of sympathy for fans involved.

Bizarrely it took some six months of research and ten thousand fans were approached on the design before it was unveiled, at first believed it was some premature April 1 humor but no, they're serious and like it or not, they're at risk of possessing one of the most hideous and unimaginative club emblems in all UK leagues. They've set up a number of petitions to try and avert the decision but not sure how far they'll get. Personally I hope it remains, not a favorite club by any distance, but in truth as before, got to feel a level of sympathy that they'll be left with this new design, (however) for those involved, it's a disaster.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-8977574

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: 4/1 arrives early at Elland Road

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Dear God. That is embarrassing. Maybe 100 years ago when people from Leeds played for Leeds. That symbolises NOTHING in today's game.

If Hibernian did that, I'd never go back until it was changed. Effin cringing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Nearly as bad as our Vegas sh*te.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:43 pm

It’s awful. But over 30k signatures on petition. This won’t happen, it will be scrapped. Looks like a badge from a computer game

Chambo's Fist Pump

Post by Chambo's Fist Pump » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 pm

saint jude wrote:, got to feel a level of sympathy that they'll be left with this new design

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-8977574
The only time i've had a modicum of sympathy for Leeds was when they went to Turkey.

However - throwing coins and other objects at town fans including children and you talk about sympathy!?!

Dont care about the badge, club or 'supporters' and quite simply put - they are scum, feral scum

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:53 am

The behavior of those involved should rightly be condemned but this was a subject of crest design, not so much past issues involving supporters. Any sympathy mentioned was of course for the decision to go with the new emblem in question.

It has been brought to attention elsewhere the new design resembles very much the cover for the PS2 Pro Evolution Soccer game, and hard to dispute. Can only imagine it was put together in a hurry by a selection of amateurs or it was done for a bet and someone is now a beneficiary of a considerable amount of money. Either way it's not above elementary.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 am

The recent mock up of the Leeds badge is worse....it depicts the head of the Yorkshire Ripper ( Sutcliffe), holding a hammer across his chest . In many ways though it is oh so very apt !!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:07 pm

I do hope with the addition of the two exclamation marks after the word "apt" means you are joking, Hallamski? Leeds United may have a stigma attached to it, but I'm not sure killing women is part of it. I may have missed that news story though.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm

"LEEDS.....LEEDS are falling apart.....again"!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:48 pm

marko69 wrote:I do hope with the addition of the two exclamation marks after the word "apt" means you are joking, Hallamski? Leeds United may have a stigma attached to it, but I'm not sure killing women is part of it. I may have missed that news story though.

Not so much the actual killing of people marko, no, of course not. But more the violence of a criminal like Sutcliffe is akin to violence displayed time and again by Leeds “fans” is what I meant.

I suppose the author of the spoof Leeds badge could just as easily have put a picture of Hitler with the arm across the chest - as a paraphrase of the nazi salute. All distasteful, but sadly so are Leeds fans. Ask any of the Town fans who had bottles , coins and seats hurled at them at the recent game at PR! They ( Leeds fans) will never change it seems.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Sutcliffe & now Hitler and Nazi Germany? I knew Leeds had a reputation but jumping Jehoshaphats, didn't realise it was THAT bad.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Ha ha , well they can be marko. Enuff said on them I think x

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:51 pm

:roll: If they drop the arm down a foot or so, the badge then depicts them correctly as w*****s :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:17 pm

PMSL !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:49 pm

ashfordblue wrote::roll: If they drop the arm down a foot or so, the badge then depicts them correctly as w*****s :D
Every guy reading this forum measuring a foot down from their heart!

"NO ASH, LESS THAN A FOOT IF YOU MUST KNOW, LESS THAN A FOOT!" :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 am

in yer dreams !! :mrgreen:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 pm

No, I can 100% guarantee that there are no c*cks in my dreams! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Ha ha ha , you don’t get any better marko :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 pm

In truth I've always taken a sense of pride in our own club emblem. Nothing fancy, just a simple yet effective design illustrating key areas relevant to the vicinity i.e. The Orwell river and Suffolk Punch are represented. (Unable to recall the portcullis type effect from the top, obviously some importance but the fact escapes me)

In 40 years of following team endeavors there's not been no significant changes other than a few minor effects and if the decision was ever undertaken to amend it to the extent of what Leeds have "accomplished" then it'll be a sad day for (our) supporters wherever you find them. Sure the 'football' may be often sub-standard and we're not without our issues but the crest represents at least something to take pride in. Damn sight better than a yellow bird on a ball than what our neighbors imaginative extents amount to.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:10 am

The turrets of the Wolsey Gate on the club badge, Saint.