#SaveTheCrew

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ohiotractorboy

#SaveTheCrew

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:44 pm

I know it isn't Ipswich related, but this is a good short documentary on the fight of the Columbus Crew fans over here to try to keep our MLS team in the city. The team was bought by Precourt in 2012, and there was an underlying knowledge that there was a clause in his contract that he could move the team to Austin, Texas. He promised to keep the team in Columbus for at least 10 years. That quickly gave way to the public appearances he was doing at the time, and a playoff run in 2015.

In October last year, he announced the team would move to Austin unless a new stadium was built here. City officials met with MLS comisioner Don Garber and Precourt, and they came back basically saying the meeting was not in good faith. It has since come out that the league and Precourt have been working on this for a while. Looking back, I now realize I haven't seen a Crew ad on TV or a billboard in two years, and when a new TV contract for the games was signed three years ago, and the games went from statewide FoxSportsOhio to a cable company only half this city gets on their TV, it is making more sense.

This video is a short version explaining the whole thing, and highlights the grass roots #SaveTheCrew movement. Please go to savethecrew dot com and sign the letter if you feel inclined. We are trying to put pressure on the league from as many places as we can. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vb-4y-2dpY

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: #SaveTheCrew

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:42 pm

I have watched the full one hour & ten minute video, Ohio and I have signed the letter and pressed send. It says they will be in touch. If small donations are required, more than happy to help the Crew in their fight to remain in Columbus, Ohio.

I didn't realise the support was so big over there. You guys look like you've got a massive support. This really is a huge issue for all concerned over there and I realise that it's a highly emotional time.

Been in this predicament before, Ohio. Hibs were in serious financial trouble back in the late 80s and a "merger" was the big idea to solve the problem.
The 1989 "Hands off Hibs" campaign was born. Ok, the Hibs weren't going to be moved city...... but worse, they were going to be taken over by then Heart of Midlothian (The Jambofuckwits) owner, Wallace Mercer. Hopefully he's not resting in peace but in the depths of despairing Hell. Horrible man. Was supposed to be a merger of both clubs witn a new Edinburgh name....... quickly came to light that it was going to be a dissolving of Hibernian and a new HMFC.

The HIBEES that came together from the far reaches of the globe was an extremely emotional experience in Edinburgh and got the attention of multi millionaire, Sir Tom Farmer. He bought over Hibs, wiped the debts the club had and the club were given a new start. Two years later, Hibs lifted the League Cup.

I have the "Save the Crew" app downloaded and I'll be checking in to see how things are proceeding. Obviously hoping Percourt fks Off and just starts his own, NEW team in Austin, TX.

Ohiotractorboy

Re: #SaveTheCrew

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks for that, marko.

The Crew have a niche group of die hard fans who are very vocal, and the hope is that the base grows. It actually was until the TV thing occurred. There are many more casual fans who go down for a couple of games, and watch as many games as they can on TV. It has room to grow, what needs to be done now is at least have community businesses get into the act and help solidify the team or, as you put it, just have Precourt eff off.

The good thing is, this grassroots movement has really put the MLS and Precourt in a pickle. With fans from all the other teams in the MLS and around the world (including Scotland!) signing the letter and becoming aware, it is turning into a PR nightmare for the league. It will be interesting to see what happens. There is also a law here in Ohio that a team that uses taxpayer money cannot move, and it was put in after the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens. The question is how much taxpayer money is used, since the stadium itself was financed by the Crew's original owner.

Glad the Hibees were a success story. How often does this sort of thing happen in the UK? Didn't Wimbledon FC actually move until a new team was bought and paid for by the fans?

*Edit* Just saw that Wimbledon will have a write up on this in their Feb 10 matchday program against Northampton Town