Sunderland vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Trickier Fixture Than It Looks?

Sunderland Win
40%
Ipswich Win
30%
Draw
30%

Total votes: 10

Frosty
Forum Owner

Sunderland vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:52 am

ImageSunderland AFC v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 3rd February 2018 – 15:00

Stadium of Light

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I'm not gonna lie, I'm fed up, disillusioned, bored, you name it. No it has nothing to do with losing to Wolves last saturday, nor is it anything to do with the fact we won't be making the play offs again this season, it is the whole sorry situation surrounding the club, there is nobody more positive than me where ITFC are concerned but gradually it grinds you down, from the bad feeling amongst the fans to the repetitive mistakes from the players we see on the pitch every game, to the crazy decisions MM seems to make or not make, then we have his cringeworthy interviews which have now gone from being quite amusing to embarrasing to downright offensive, throw in the Marcus Evans effect with the purse strings really getting tighter instead of the other way round and it just seems every part of the club is riddled with negative things.

Then we have the playing staff, so many sicknotes, ok some can't help it but my god Bishop, Hyam, Webster, Huws, Adeyemi etc etc, how can you possibly be successful with this bunch always out ? Add to that the mediocre dross of the likes of Sears, Bru, Smith, Ward, Knudsen, Iorfa etc etc and it really is a miracle we are where we are, add to that prima donnas like McGoldrick going through the motions, the team/club needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom, however I don't see Marcus Evans going anywhere anytime soon, I just hope to god Mick is leaving come May or the whole thing is going to implode, any new manager coming in has a hell of job with no money to speak of, Celina & Connolly will be gone and I would not be surprised to see Bart go too despite this new contract which in truth changes nothing. We have very few players that you can look at and say yes we can build a team for the future around them, Waghorn & Garner are fine, Webster and Dozzell too assuming they are fit, the rest have me scratching my head, I mean where the hell are Flynn Downes & Tristan Nydam for god sake ?? Then we have the old reliables like Chambers & Skuse, good solid pro's but we are where we are with these guys and they are not getting any younger, for me we are very much at the crossroads this Summer and god forbid Mick stays the fan base will all but disappear. The next few months are going to be very interesting indeed but worryingly not for the right reasons.

The Wolves game was yet another game of Two halves, I seem to write that every sodding week !! A decent opening Forty Five minutes where we probably had the edge was countered by a totally disjointed effort after the break, quite what Mick says at half time I have no idea but I always thought it was the time to rally the troops and pick them up to kick on and win the game, we seem to do the complete opposite because all too often we suffer a no show after the interval, it happens with alarming regularity, for me Wolves changed nothing, add to that the body language of some Town players raised eyebrows all around because it was obvious at times the basics were not being done and that is something this Town team has not been guilty of very often in the past, I think it was quite a disturbing scenario.

This week we face the long trip to Sunderland, on paper it looks like a great chance to get a win but they will be thinking the same, our recent form has been poor and we are still struggling for numbers in some areas, I am actually going up Friday morning and coming back Sunday but it sums it up when I am looking forward to the evenings/meals/ clubs etc far more than 3pm Saturday afternoon, it is almost an inconvenience in truth, the social side of Football is important to me and is the main reason at the moment why I am still suffering every away day, I won't change despite how I feel, I just hope to god a few things at Portman Road change, and quickly. I think we may get a point from this so I will go for a low scoring draw, I suppose we still have the fight to finish above the Scum to keep us just a little bit interested for the remaining weeks of the season. Right now off to order my Preston Tickets..... :astroll: :astroll: :astroll:

The Opposition – Sunderland

Founded 17 October 1879 as 'Sunderland and District Teachers A.F.C.' by schoolmaster James Allan, Sunderland joined The Football League for the 1890–91 season. They replaced Stoke, who had failed to be re-elected, becoming the first new club to join the league since its inauguration in 1888.

During the late 19th century, they were declared the "Team of All Talents" by William McGregor. Sunderland won the league championship in the 1891–92 season, one season after joining The Football League. Sunderland successfully defended the title the following season. In the process, they became the first team to score 100 goals in a season, a feat not matched until 1919–20.

Sunderland came close to winning a third successive league championship in the 1893–94 season, finishing second behind Aston Villa. However, they regained the title in the 1894–95 season.

Sunderland came close to winning another league title in the 1897–98 season, when they finished as runners-up. That season was their last at Newcastle Road, as they moved to Roker Park the following season. After coming second in 1900–01, the club won their fourth league title in the 1901–02 season.

The club won the league again in 1913, but lost their first FA Cup final to Aston Villa, in a very tough loss. This was the closest the club has come to winning the league title and the FA Cup in the same season.

Two seasons later the First World War brought the league to a halt. After the league's resumption, Sunderland came close to winning another championship in the 1922–23 season, when they were runners-up to Liverpool. They also came close the following season, finishing third, four points from the top of the league. The club escaped relegation from the First Division by one point in the 1927–28 season.

The club's sixth league championship came in the 1935–36 season, and they won the FA Cup the following season, after a victory against Preston North End at Wembley Stadium.

The remainder of the decade saw mid-table finishes, until the league and FA Cup were suspended for the duration of the Second World War.

For Sunderland, the immediate post-war years were characterised by significant spending. This, along with record-breaking transfer fees, led to a contemporary nickname, the "Bank of England club". The club finished third in the First Division in 1950, their highest finish since the 1936 championship.

The late 1950s saw a sharp downturn in Sunderland's fortunes, and in 1958 they were relegated from the highest division for the first time in their 68-year league history.

Sunderland's absence from the top flight lasted six years. After the close call in the previous season, the club was promoted to Division One in 1964 after finishing in second place. At the end of the decade, they were again relegated to the Second Division.

Sunderland won their last major trophy in 1973, in a 1–0 victory over Leeds United in the FA Cup Final. Since 1973 only two other clubs, Southampton in 1976, and West Ham United in 1980, have equalled Sunderland's achievement of lifting the FA Cup while playing outside the top tier of English football.

By winning the 1973 FA Cup Final, Sunderland qualified for the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, the club's only appearance in European competition to date.

After spending six seasons in the Second Division, Sunderland were promoted to Division One in the 1975–76 season, however, they were relegated the following season back into Division Two.

Sunderland appeared in their first League Cup final in 1985, but lost to Norwich City.

In 1987, Sunderland saw one of the lowest points in their history, when they were relegated to the Third Division of the English league for the first time, but were promoted straight away the following season.

In 1990, they were promoted back to the top flight in unusual circumstances. Sunderland lost to Swindon Town in the play-off final, but Swindon's promotion was revoked after the club was found guilty of financial irregularities and Sunderland were promoted instead. They stayed up for one year before being relegated on the final day of the following season.

Sunderland's next outing in a major final came in 1992 when, as a Second Division club, they returned to the FA Cup final. There was to be no repeat of the heroics of 1973, as Sunderland lost to Liverpool.

After promotion from Division One in the 1995–96 season,[56] Sunderland began their first season in the Premier League, but finished third from the bottom and were relegated back to the First Division.

In 1997, Sunderland left Roker Park, their home for 99 years. The club moved to the Stadium of Light, a 42,000-seat arena that, at the time, was the largest stadium built in England after the Second World War.

Sunderland returned to the Premier League as First Division champions in 1999 with a then-record 105 points. At the end of the season Sunderland finished seventh, with Kevin Phillips winning the European Golden Shoe in his first top-flight season, scoring 30 goals.

Another seventh-place finish in the 2000–01 season was followed by two less successful seasons, and they were relegated to the second-tier with a then-record low 19 points in 2003.

Former Ireland manager Mick McCarthy took over at the club, and, in 2005, he took Sunderland up as champions for the third time in less than ten years. However, the club's stay in the top flight was short-live as Sunderland were once again relegated, this time with a new record-low total of 15 points.

Following Sunderland's relegation from the Premier League, the club was taken over by the Irish Drumaville Consortium, headed by ex-player Niall Quinn, who appointed former Manchester United captain Roy Keane as the new manager.

Under Keane, the club rose steadily up the table with an unbeaten run of 17 games to win promotion to the Premier League, and were named winners of the Championship.

At the start of the 2009/10 campaign, Irish-American businessman Ellis Short completed a full takeover of the club, and Steve Bruce was announced as the next manager on 3 June.

Sunderland started the 2010–11 season strongly and they eventually finished 10th — which was still their highest top-flight finish for 10 years.

Bruce was sacked in November 2011, and replaced by Martin O'Neill. In February 2012, Quinn left the club with immediate effect. O'Neill was sacked in March 2013 and Italian Paolo Di Canio was announced as his replacement the following day. The appointment prompted the immediate resignation of club Vice Chairman David Miliband due to Di Canio's "past political statements". Sunderland went on to survive relegation with one game to go.

Di Canio was sacked after a poor start to the 2013–14 season, and reports of a complete breakdown in relations with his players. Gus Poyet was announced as his replacement, and led Sunderland to the 2014 Football League Cup Final, where they were defeated by Manchester City.

In March 2015 Poyet was sacked, and veteran Dutchman d*ck Advocaat was appointed as the club's new head coach, saving the club from relegation. Eight games into the 2015–16 season he resigned from the position. Sam Allardyce was appointed the next manager in October 2015. Sunderland remained in the relegation zone for much of the remainder of the 2015–16 season, but Allardyce was able to save the club from being relegated with improved form in the second half of the season.

In July 2016, Allardyce left the club to be announced as manager for the English national team following the dismissal of Roy Hodgson. Former Everton and Manchester United manager David Moyes was appointed as his replacement on a 4-year contract. Under Moyes, Sunderland made the worst ever start to a Premier League season, taking just 2 points from their opening 10 matches. The club was relegated to the second tier for the first time in ten years at the end of the 2016–17 season, finishing bottom of the table with 24 points. On 22 May 2017, Moyes resigned as manager of the club. On 15 June 2017, goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, product of the Sunderland's academy, having joined the club aged eight, was transferred to Everton for a fee of £25 million, rising to a possible £30 million, a record for a British goalkeeper.

On 29 June 2017, Simon Grayson was named as the new manager of Sunderland, replacing David Moyes, on a three-year contract.

The Manager – Chris Coleman

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Last minute bid, for striker fails

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/01/re ... ays-jorda/

Stuart Watsons verdict on the Jan transfer window

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5377628

Form Guide

Sunderland Last 5 Matches – Currently in 22nd place with 25 points

26 Dec Sheffield Utd 3 - 0 Sunderland

30 Dec Nottm Forest 0 - 1 Sunderland

1 Jan Sunderland 0 - 1 Barnsley

13 Jan Cardiff City 4 - 0 Sunderland

20 Jan Sunderland 1 - 0 Hull City

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 12th place with 40 points

30 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 2 Derby County

2 Jan Fulham 4 - 1 Ipswich Town

13 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Leeds Utd

20 Jan Bolton 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

27 Jan Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Wolverhampton

Fixtures of Interest

FULHAM F.C. VS NOTTINGHAM FOREST

NORWICH CITY VS MIDDLESBROUGH

Match referee – Darren England

SUNDERLAND 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

charlton837

Re: Sunderland vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by charlton837 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:04 am

good preview and a very honest introduction Mike, you sum up all of my feelings in what you write. I also feel we need an overhaul, we need to rebuild a new spine to the team again, MM did that when he came in but it now needs replacing with something new, fresh, younger.

I am going to Sunderland, only my second away game of the season! Last one was QPR where we were shockingly bad. I am driving up Saturday morning and driving home after the game so its going to be a long day, I just hope the team turn up. I am not overly confident as our away form is terrible, im thinking maybe a bore draw. Anyway if anyone from here is going any ideas on where you will go before the match? Maybe it would be good to meet up for a beer

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 am

We must win this one surely? 3-1 I hope.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:13 pm

charlton837 wrote:good preview and a very honest introduction Mike, you sum up all of my feelings in what you write. I also feel we need an overhaul, we need to rebuild a new spine to the team again, MM did that when he came in but it now needs replacing with something new, fresh, younger.

I am going to Sunderland, only my second away game of the season! Last one was QPR where we were shockingly bad. I am driving up Saturday morning and driving home after the game so its going to be a long day, I just hope the team turn up. I am not overly confident as our away form is terrible, im thinking maybe a bore draw. Anyway if anyone from here is going any ideas on where you will go before the match? Maybe it would be good to meet up for a beer
It's just how I feel now, I stuck with it all for longer than most but can't anymore tbh. I am going up Friday morning and coming back Sunday so would be good to meet up, if you like once we know where we are heading pre game I could message you or something but obviously would need your number.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
charlton837 wrote:good preview and a very honest introduction Mike, you sum up all of my feelings in what you write. I also feel we need an overhaul, we need to rebuild a new spine to the team again, MM did that when he came in but it now needs replacing with something new, fresh, younger.

It's just how I feel now, I stuck with it all for longer than most but can't anymore tbh. I am going up Friday morning and coming back Sunday so would be good to meet up, if you like once we know where we are heading pre game I could message you or something but obviously would need your number.
Hi Mike, that sounds good! We are going to get there fairly early, going to grab some lunch or something then happy to find somewhere to just go and have a beer or something. Will PM you my number, feel free to message and let me know where you plan on going and we hopefully should be able to get there for a drink!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:02 pm

No worries mate, we will br finding a pub that does food too all being well so will let you know

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:49 pm

Excellent preview Mike.
Before the Wolves game you asked me if I would change my mind and go back to being a season ticket holder again next season. I said I can’t see it happening even if we have a change of manager and the current negatives you have highlighted are some of the reasons why.
Have been to the SOL on numerous occasions to watch Town play including a game on New Years Day and a mid-week fixture. We have lost on every occasion I’ve been there so it’s a good job I’m not going Saturday.
Fair do’s to Charlton and yourself and all the other Town fans making the long trip this weekend and hopefully for once the team will make it worthwhile.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Tough words to read from you BM, but unfortunately that's where the club has landed after ME's purchase a decade ago. I've always complimented you on your dedication to club and manager, and it is indeed sad reading to see you now giving up on the current regime. I do believe there is something special waiting for ITFC...a new manager, new players, new philosophy??? I don't know exactly what it is, but we've put up with shyte for far too long. We all deserve better.

Hate to say it, but I think we'll get beat on this one. Coleman is no push over, and Sunderland are fighting for their Championship life. I thought we'd get run-over by Wolves, and according to reports it very well could have been a lopsided final score. That shouldn't be the case with Sunderland...I see us losing a rubbish, scrappy match by the odd goal.

Sunderland 2 v 1 ITFC

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Sunderland have lost their fair share of games this season so I hope it continues. I would like a 1 - 0 Ipswich win but a draw would be acceptable instead of a defeat

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Could be another regret but voted for an away team victory. May be something of a lackluster encounter, chances few and far between etc but perhaps we can take all available points by one goal alone. Any ambitions for a top six finish are dependant on games of this nature, can only hope the players are focused enough and determined, in what should be three points for ourselves (irrespective of venue)

Put these (opposition team) as promotion favorites back in August, Yes they've got issues and need to act quick to alter a deteriorating situation, but for this game alone, would assume a Town victory.

Sunderland 0 Ipswich 1

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Going to this one......gawd knows why. Must be nutts :shock: Need a day out anyway to see the guys n galls. Just want us to perform and give them a game.....Not too much to ask is it?

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Great preview again Mike and though sad reading its nothing we cant see for ourselves. I too pray Mike goes in the summer but WHO do we bring in? and will they be content with a pittence given from Evans. Its a real shame because there was real optimism at the start of the season and nobody thought we would run away with it ,its a massive disappointment.

Respect to the faithful that travel up and Down the country to see what is often poor football.

I really cant see us getting anything from Sunderland and if we do scrape something I only see a defeat at home in the next game.

Sunderland 3 town 1 :(

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 pm

phily bon bon wrote:Great preview again Mike and though sad reading its nothing we cant see for ourselves. I too pray Mike goes in the summer but WHO do we bring in? and will they be content with a pittence given from Evans. Its a real shame because there was real optimism at the start of the season and nobody thought we would run away with it ,its a massive disappointment.

Respect to the faithful that travel up and Down the country to see what is often poor football.

I really cant see us getting anything from Sunderland and if we do scrape something I only see a defeat at home in the next game.

Sunderland 3 town 1 :(
im not sure there was that much optimism, I think people felt that we would come crashing down eventually. We had a really good start, better than anyone could have dreamt for but the way this club has been over the past few years im not sure the optimism was there the way it probably should be if you have that kind of start.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:18 am

If you look back at Town and Sunderland’s scoring record everything points to a strong possibility of this ending 0-0.

With Town you have to go back 9 games to the last time we scored more than 1 goal, and in four games we’ve failed to score.

With Sunderland it’s 12 games back to when they scored twice. In seven games they’ve scored a solitary goal and in four none.

That’s a total of 19 games when the two teams playing today have scored 11 goals between them.

It could prove very favourable if either team scores an opening goal as past performance would suggest that team is most likely to win 1-0, if that’s the case let’s just hope we score first.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Nice post, Charnwood, and the ref agrees........ up there for thinking, dude!

News headlines:
CHRIS COLEMAN READS A SAINT POST

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Sears in Celina on bench? What thel f*ck is that all about. If we lose today it will be down to MM team selection.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:22 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:Sears in Celina on bench?
Holy sh*t, dude......., there is a lot to be said for commas. :shock: :lol:

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Love it Marko :lol:
No joy in the match though.3-1 Sunderland.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 pm

booom 1-0

boooom 2-0

come on boys lets get some more

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:Sears in Celina on bench?
Holy sh*t, dude......., there is a lot to be said for commas. :shock: :lol:
Yeah sounds a bit to xrated for this forum.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Quasar wrote:booom 1-0

boooom 2-0

come on boys lets get some more
Wow 0-2

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:52 pm

So far so good, deservedly ahead, waggy looking sharp and Ward playing well. Sunderland had couple of half chances but we hit the bar too and have played some decent stuff, no hoofing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:00 pm

What an absolutely fantastic day. Hibs with the 2nd win @ Ibrox this season, (bloody scary place) ..... and ITFC with the away win also. Didn't expect both of those results.

Bit quiet in here after a superb away win.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 pm

marko69 wrote:What an absolutely fantastic day. Hibs with the 2nd win @ Ibrox this season, (bloody scary place) ..... and ITFC with the away win also. Didn't expect both of those results.

Bit quiet in here after a superb away win.
Everyones in shock Marko.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:05 pm

I've just read that today's win was Ipswich's first ever win at the Stadium of Light. That can't be right, can it??? If it is true, I'm doubly happy we won, we won!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:57 am

First victory at Sunderland since 1989 if records are accurate, never realized we had waited until now. Bear in mind the time kept apart by different leagues but bottom line it was something of a clear victory and can build on this for immediate games ahead.

Other scores from today throughout the leagues were sub-standard but at least the Irish overcame the f**king frogs in Rugby Union. Granted Sunderland have fallen away alarmingly from any pre-season expectation but take nothing away from ourselves, (and for) those who traveled - no matter how many in number - would have been rewarded for their effort and perhaps another attempt on the top six arrives into focus.

Fair enough Mark also, credit where it's due, victory again at Ibrox deserves a mention. Damn fine score.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 am

Decent away performance. Best I've seen for a while as we have had many poor ones but this is what happens when we show an interest in attacking an opposition.
First half an hour could have been anything. A few worrying moments as we certainly allowed them too much space at times. On 10 min Skuse gave away the ball and it could have ended up badly as Asoro despite tight angle narrowly missed. Couple of minutes later a moment of hesitation from Knudsen which enforced him to pass to Connolly. The latter got easily outmuscled and once again an opportunity for the hosts.

The brightest moment for us during that spell was Waghorn's free-kick as he hit the bar.
Five minutes later another moment when we got away with bad defending. A corner for Sunderland and O'Shea headed wide as he was totally unmarked.

Yes we were under a little cosh. They had too much space but that is not as if they totally dominated us. We tried to play football in a good way with little hoofing.

Garner's goal shot Sunderland's confidence to pieces and they never recovered from this. Their heads totally dropped. They were far from that somewhat impressive first half an hour spell. What followed this goal was most pleasing moment of the day for me. Just go for it, keep on attacking as they are for taking. And that is what he did ! It was a pleasure to watch and the team was rightly rewarded in the shape of the 2nd goal. Ward who himself has had a really good game outran their full-back, great cross that ended up with an own goal.

The half time scoreline a bit harsh on Sunderland for their endeavour but this ain't our problem. Both goals took the entire confidence from them.

There isn't lot to talk about the 2nd half. Sunderland's chaotic attempts caused no problem whatsoever for our much improved defence, much improved in compare to the first half. The only moment which made Bialkowski save was Lua Lua's shot. Town looked content with the two goal lead but Waghorn should really have scored when one on one with Camp. Forgettable 45 minutes but not going to moan over it. Comfortable two goal lead and we never were in a danger of squandering this.

It's a shame we don't produce more displays like this. When you compare it to the Bolton two weeks ago it's like a night and day. Different approach, different football yet there were some silly, really stupid comments on here that we 'looked like good team at Bolton' whereas we had been bang awful. Today we didn't even hoof much. Not even from Chambers.
Compare it also to Hull from last November. We had been 1-0 up and allowed opposition to come back and have a go at us. Nowhere near that today as we went to attack the opposition instead of sitting back.

Grant Ward deserves a special mention as it certainly has been his best performance for a long time. Waghorn also stood out in the 1st half.

Yes I would have cursed McCarthy for having left Celina on the bench if we hadn't won. He would have torn them apart on his own.

Funeral atmosphere among the home crowd but don't blame them for this. As ourselves they are owned by disinterested person who don't back his managers. Still though it's baffling why the players of McGeady and LuaLua's calibre started on the bench. Both proven at this level and Josh Emmanuel in particular knows what they are capable of as they tormented him in the past (McGeady and Preston away last season, Lua Lua during the Brighton's 3-2 win at Portman Road couple of seasons ago).

Brilliant first goal, brilliant set-up for the second, keeping the opponents under control. The performance like that though not completely perfect still makes hell of a difference as all I ask for is to show a desire to attack an opposition. Don't sit back and focus on stopping them from playing just have balls to attack them. Yesterday that was the case so really pleased.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 am

Had a great day out if not long. 6.30 start and back home at 11. Worth it though as I thought it was an enjoyable match where Ipswich played some decent football and had a threat. Sunderland looked ok with the ball when attacking but dear god they are terrible without it and when we got the goal they just looked beaten. Ward had his best game in a town shirt, I had been moaning about garner before the match but he also had a very good game.

Sears played well but his end product isn’t there, ,messed up a couple of easy passes which could have lead to goals to extend our lead. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t annoyed with our starting lineup but it worked so credit to MM for that. Near on 1,000 blues there yesterday, decent effort for longest away trip of the season

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Very pleasant reading this morning especially the fact that we appeared to have put in a decent performance playing good football. The big question is why can’t we approach more games with a similar approach ?

The way this season is developing we could see the first ever double double relegation from the Prem League to League 1 over two seasons if Hull City & Sunderland are both relegated, I wonder what odds you’d have got on that at the start of the season ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Mach, you saying had they lost, you'd be furious at MM for not playing Celina! Hardest job in the world = football manager; fk that job!

I personally think Mick is saving Bersant for Norwich. Hopefully he doesn't play v Burtons biscuits either.

Saint, yes, great day, great bounce even though hot drinks were hurled at us, .... and upon watching the highlights, great celebration by John McGinn in front of the ..........., don't say it, mustn't........ say it...... don't use the ... f o r b i d d e n .... word, Rangers fans.