McGoldrick

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

McGoldrick

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm

A doubt for Saturday.
Well that is a surprise!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: McGoldrick

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Waste of f**king time.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:09 am

:oops: And now you can see why the likes of Bolton, Birmingham, Cardiff, have lost interest is because he's a sick note. FACT

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:20 am

Personally, I wouldn’t bother to play him anymore. He clearly is going to walk in the summer - hopefully with McCarthy by his side. Both of them a pair of tossas..... just my opinion of course ! :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 am

With hindsight we should probably have sold him to Leicester City in 2014 when they offered £5m for him instead of holding out for £8m. Since then every season he’s either picked up a serious injury that’s kept him out or a string of niggling injuries.

On his day he could be brilliant, but there just hasn’t been enough days when he’s been fully fit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:24 am

He started the season really well and I have to admit I was pleased we still had him here, however we are reverting to type with the body language etc and he clearly isn't into it now, Mick said Didsy wanted to stay but I am not so sure. We probably should have cashed in on him but let's be honest at the time of the Leicester thing fans were asking ME for a sign of his commitment to Town by not selling him so we can't have it both ways.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:48 am

I wont hold it against ME or the club for not selling him to Leicester, at the time I was very happy with that. When people say ME will always sell off our prized assets, in that situation he didn't and he could have done had he wanted to. I think he saw McGoldrick as part of the new found promising spine that MM built when he came here.

I would have sold him in this window though, even if we only got £200-300k its still better than nothing and I don't see that he is really offering us anything.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm

I did say with hindsight which we as we all know is a gift we don’t have. To be clear Charlton just yourself and Mike I was more than pleased we didn’t cash in and at the time and I thought this was a clear signal that ME was serious about investing in the team and pushing for a promotion challenge. If only.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Playing Didsy out of position, to accommodate both Waggy and Garner, probably hasn’t helped - wide right is not his natural or best position, hence the apparent body language, probably borne out of frustration. That said, it’s a team game and, with limited resources and little quality in depth, every player should be prepared to do their bit to make it work. In Didsy’s case he sometimes tries too hard, or to be too clever, and ends up conceding possession and putting us on the back foot. In short, he unbalances the team.

Perhaps that he’s also separated, by own choice, from his family has a certain amount of adverse effect. Commuting between Suffolk and the midlands over a lengthy period can’t be conducive to a stable and settled family life. I recall the Dark Lord trying to insist that every player lived within easy reach of the Town; a tad too draconian perhaps, but I get what his thought process was.

My guess is that he will see the remainder of this season out - when it will then be in both his and club’s interests to part ways. No new contract, off the wage bill and move on.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:26 pm

herforder wrote:Playing Didsy out of position, to accommodate both Waggy and Garner, probably hasn’t helped - wide right is not his natural or best position, hence the apparent body language, probably borne out of frustration. That said, it’s a team game and, with limited resources and little quality in depth, every player should be prepared to do their bit to make it work. In Didsy’s case he sometimes tries too hard, or to be too clever, and ends up conceding possession and putting us on the back foot. In short, he unbalances the team.

Perhaps that he’s also separated, by own choice, from his family has a certain amount of adverse effect. Commuting between Suffolk and the midlands over a lengthy period can’t be conducive to a stable and settled family life. I recall the Dark Lord trying to insist that every player lived within easy reach of the Town; a tad too draconian perhaps, but I get what his thought process was.

My guess is that he will see the remainder of this season out - when it will then be in both his and club’s interests to part ways. No new contract, off the wage bill and move on.
which then begs the question would it not have been in everyone's interest (ITFC, McGoldrick, Managers) if he just left in January somewhere else. If hes going to sulk because hes not playing in his best position then hes a wasted position, play someone who does want to play. I get why he would be annoyed as he clearly isn't effective in the position the manager is playing him in, but I don't get who wins out of us keeping him?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Probably because McCarthy loves round pegs in square holes, he probably thinks McGoldrick's is having a dip in form, whereas we all know he's completely ineffective out wide, he's slow, lazy and works best on the edge of the box with his back to goal.

I don't think anyone wanted him in January and I think McCarthy would want to keep him, we have a small squad, he is injury cover for the front two (ironically!!), he'll be saying why get rid of him.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 pm

I think Didsy has served us well in between injuries. Consequently, he's now an example of the type of player we need to replace with youth going forward. When people say Didsy seems disinterested on the pitch, he's probably fighting with injuries. Have you ever played when you were not 100%?...the injuries tend to slow you down a bit. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Didsy just may be tired of the shyte he's had to deal with during his tenure here, and he's just going through the motions.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 pm

I think it would be unfair for us to guess what he's thinking, he always has a seemingly laid back attitude, which can be misinterpreted for not caring, or carrying an injury etc, but in good times he's never been much different to be fair!!

I would prefer more like Waghorn and Garner going forwards myself, nothing against Didsy, as you say, he's served us well at times.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Yeah I agree, Waghorn and Garner are good signings. I wish they would both start scoring again, though!

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:49 pm

charlton837 wrote:
herforder wrote:Playing Didsy out of position, to accommodate both Waggy and Garner, probably hasn’t helped - wide right is not his natural or best position, hence the apparent body language, probably borne out of frustration. That said, it’s a team game and, with limited resources and little quality in depth, every player should be prepared to do their bit to make it work. In Didsy’s case he sometimes tries too hard, or to be too clever, and ends up conceding possession and putting us on the back foot. In short, he unbalances the team.

which then begs the question would it not have been in everyone's interest (ITFC, M:cGoldrick, Managers) if he just left in January somewhere else. If hes going to sulk because hes not playing in his best position then hes a wasted position, play someone who does want to play. I get why he would be annoyed as he clearly isn't effective in the position the manager is playing him in, but I don't get who wins out of us keeping him?
My understanding is that the club were prepared for him to go, if a satisfactory deal could be done. Bolton, who saw Madine move to Cardiff, were definitely interested, but ultimately nothing happened. More than likely McG didn’t fancy the move, and preferred to stay put - in accordance with his current contract.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:05 pm

I think McGoldrick has always been clear about his preference to move to a Midlands Club to be closer to his home in Nottingham. I guess that’s why a move to Leicester was so attractive to him and why he was so disappointed when it didn’t happen.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:18 pm

I get fed up of this being played out of position nonsense, first Sears and now Didsy, Chambers did it for 2 bloody seasons and got dogs abuse at times but just got on with it, Waghorn too is out of position but having a very good season, these Two need to bloody man up or better still sod off.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Feel a level of sympathy for the individual (that) he's prone to injury on too often an occasion, also could feasibly have been part of the Republic of Ireland squad on the plane to Russia this summer if the aforementioned team hadn't made such a mess of the second game of that play-off event with Denmark. (Obviously if had stayed fit and available)

Has done an adequate job for us in spells but you got other names that can do a job in attacking departments. Seems we're stuck with a player that other clubs would be (justifiably) wary about given his propensity for injury, but as before got to feel an amount of sympathy for the issues the player has endured.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 pm

number 9 wrote:I think Didsy has served us well in between injuries. Consequently, he's now an example of the type of player we need to replace with youth going forward. When people say Didsy seems disinterested on the pitch, he's probably fighting with injuries. Have you ever played when you were not 100%?...the injuries tend to slow you down a bit. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Didsy just may be tired of the shyte he's had to deal with during his tenure here, and he's just going through the motions.
Obviously being an Amazon, and a finely tuned athlete, I’ve never known a physical weakness. What is this “ injury” situation you speak of ? :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:I think McGoldrick has always been clear about his preference to move to a Midlands Club to be closer to his home in Nottingham. I guess that’s why a move to Leicester was so attractive to him and why he was so disappointed when it didn’t happen.
He’ll probably end up at Villa on a freebie!

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 pm

In truth, it’s seldom all bad or all good - more like shades of grey. I don’t recall either
McG or Sears publicly moaning about being played out of their preferred positions - that’s something that’s been turned into media chatter because both have failed to impress, or deliver against our expectations. There’s no real evidence, just perceptions, about players’ views. No-one could accuse either of not working hard or giving their max for the team - albeit not always to great effect. Although for all of our frustration and criticism of McG, he remains probably our most technically gifted player, with the ability to produce a single piece of match-winning magic. It was his skill that effectively created the winner against Bolton - so MM sticks with him.