Shilton and his long-standing enmity

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Shilton and his long-standing enmity

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 am

A subject on a rival page caught the attention just recent and simply put, English international legend Peter Shilton has received an invite from none other than Diego Maradona to appear at a dinner function later this year but the former is just about resolute in declining any such invitation. He is however 'prepared to give it a level of thought' if reports are accurate.

What Shilton insists, is for Diego to apologize for his actions at the last Mexico World Cup Event before any such meeting can be even considered. Some degree of talk about how 30 + years is too long to harbor a grudge while some insist Shilton is behaving in a juvenile manner.

Shilton goes as far to admit the 'thought of shaking Maradona's hand would make me vomit', while the other holds no reservations or guilt about the controversial incident in the Aztec Arena all those years back. Way it see it, just move on with your lives, Maradona apologizes, they have a civilized discussion, nobody gets hurt.

http://news2read.com/sports/1714205/pet ... o-maradona

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Shilton and his long-standing enmity

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:48 am

Shilton needs to get a grip.

Maradona done what every cheating b*stard in the game does today only he perfected it all those years ago -----> he played to the whistle. And no "foul" whistle came.

I bet you shook the officials hands at the end of the game though, Peter eh? Fkn idiot.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Can’t believe he refuses to shake the Hand of God! :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Good for you, Peter! Although, I'd put more of the blame for the 'Hand of God' debacle on the inept referees...who were probably nefariously paid off anyway. Maradona's always been a shady character; I've never respected him. Argentina has always been one of the dirtiest teams at the World Cup, so it's not surprising that Maradona's behavior on and off the pitch would be acceptable to Argentinians.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:55 pm

Terry Butcher had to be restrained after the game to prevent getting within striking distance of El Ladron de cartera Ingles, while Bob Robson in his own words labeled the player 'a Rascal'. Can understand the furore of the time but thirty + years have gone by, controversial incidents in soccer are a dime a dozen, this instance is not unique in itself.

There was a program some years back where Lineker was at Maradona's residence in South America. Not only did they shake hands, but took in a Boca Juniors game and were introduced to members of family. Clear camaraderie between individuals, has remained so until present day.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Really does show how different people are, in youth and in their supposed mature years. Shaking the hand of Maradona makes Shilton "want to vomit" and then there is this ^^^^ superb photo that I've never witnessed before. Good stuff, Saint. Looks like they both have a mutual respect for each other. Always able to watch and listen to Gary Lineker.

I think Shilton needs to let it go. The vomit comment after 32 years is making him look very stupid indeed.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 pm

marko69 wrote:I think Shilton needs to let it go. The vomit comment after 32 years is making him look very stupid indeed.
I don't know Marko, when I was about 4 years old an older lad deliberately kicked my favourite football in to the river and it was lost forever, even being nearly 30 years ago if I ever saw him again I'd demand an apology or not want to be held accountable for my actions :lol:

It clearly is a very personal thing for Shilton, I don't want to know the hours he's led awake thinking of that moment, the guilt he's probably felt for not getting there first, the what if's that constantly run through his mind. I remember goalkeeping errors I made when I was younger and get pangs of unpleasant feelings when my mind wonders to them, yet they were completely insignificant matches, not WC quarter finals.

I think if Maradona had fessed up and apologised in good time, then Shilton would feel far happier about putting things to bed, but he clearly hasn't and it'll always be raw because of it. I don't think the fact that they all would do it these days makes a difference, 1986 wasn't these days, granted I wasn't around to experience it, but I'd like to think it was a far more honest time.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:34 am

Was a great pic from St J. But, as media pro, Gary Lineker was effectively doing a job, and getting paid for it - sometimes the demands of those who pay the piper mean that personal views and feelings have to be set aside in the interests of entertainment. That was the aim of the programme. Would be interesting to get an insight into what he really thinks about the cheating Argentinian barsteward!

You stick to your guns Shilton: no compromise, no surrender to the happy crappy, forgive and forget, brigade. :wink:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 am

That cheating b*stards "hand of Cheat" basically denied England a chance of progressing in the world cup. I understand Marko not feeling the same as me on this one, but if it was Scotland who went out because of it, I ask, would he be a cheating b*stard then?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm

If Scotland got through to a Quarter Final I would think it was them that were the cheating bastards.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:14 pm

marko69 wrote:Shilton needs to get a grip.

Maradona done what every cheating b*stard in the game does today only he perfected it all those years ago -----> he played to the whistle. And no "foul" whistle came.

I bet you shook the officials hands at the end of the game though, Peter eh? Fkn idiot.

Yeh he did Marko, but he blew his nose free handed first :lol: just like you would to a Jambo fan :roll:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm

saint jude wrote:Terry Butcher had to be restrained after the game to prevent getting within striking distance of El Ladron de cartera Ingles, while Bob Robson in his own words labeled the player 'a Rascal'. Can understand the furore of the time but thirty + years have gone by, controversial incidents in soccer are a dime a dozen, this instance is not unique in itself.

There was a program some years back where Lineker was at Maradona's residence in South America. Not only did they shake hands, but took in a Boca Juniors game and were introduced to members of family. Clear camaraderie between individuals, has remained so until present day.

8) They say sh*t sticks, picture proof :mrgreen:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:If Scotland got through to a Quarter Final I would think it was them that were the cheating bastards.
PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:48 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:That cheating b*stards "hand of Cheat" basically denied England a chance of progressing in the world cup. I understand Marko not feeling the same as me on this one, but if it was Scotland who went out because of it, I ask, would he be a cheating b*stard then?
Oh my God, Deeko, I wish I had more time here to log all the times Scotland have been cheated at international football. Most recent one was Bale throwing himself to the ground in Cardiff a few years ago, there was actual light between him and Scotty Brown. Fkn cheating bstd gets the penalty, Scotland out......, (shouldve beaten Lithuania though

So, to answer your question.........., if it was hand of God v Scotland, yes, I'd forever be slightly pi$$ed off about it.

But, this isn't about me, it's about Shilton and he's being a tit! Grow up Shilton, FFS! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 pm

To add, even though the hand of God is blatantly obvious, if Maradona had've verbally fessed up, he may have endangered his life -------> it's South America after all. Some of them take things to a whole other level. There are some who are definitely not the "oh well, fk it, who's round is it?" type of people.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

marko69 wrote:To add, even though the hand of God is blatantly obvious, if Maradona had've verbally fessed up, he may have endangered his life -------> it's South America after all. Some of them take things to a whole other level. There are some who are definitely not the "oh well, fk it, who's round is it?" type of people.

Thank fu*k. Or we’d all be speaking German! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm

^^ Both true & hilarious! ^^ :lol:

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Never mind 'The Hand of God', I'm still questioning why Terry Fenwick didn't hack the little guy down (As was his usual want) at the start of that mazy run for the 2nd goal - useless barsteward!!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:28 am

Fenwick wouldn't have been aware of what was to follow. Don't forget the run began near the half-way line, would have expected someone else to intercept or believed it was safe distance. Maradona was kicked out of the 1982 Finals in Spain, there was similar treatment four years later, albeit on a more benign degree, and more importantly, the match officials gave more protection.

Ali Ben Nasser who was senior match official for the game in question, said in his own words - "For him (a Bulgarian assistant) it was clearly a goal and not handball. My assistant indicated to me there was no foul play so I was obliged to give the goal"

If you remember the occasion the English played very well but were undone by those opening five minutes of the second period. Hoddle would have scored from a free kick had (Nery) Pumpido not made a great save and Lineker should have scored a second with moments remaining but was (legally) obstructed by a defender. Barnes may have been introduced too late in the game to make a decision, if played from the start would have been interesting to see what had occurred.

Perhaps the worst thing about Mexico '86 was Lineker making himself much more prominent and recognized, and Barcelona taking him from Merseyside for a two million deal. Take into consideration the European ban of the time for English teams abroad, but still taken too soon. People of a certain age would recognize the attributes he possessed, particularly awareness in the area and positional instinct. How much would he and Maradona be worth in today's game? Not as simple to put a price on it as first expected.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:39 am

Lineker £50M - £80M
Maradona £200M - £300M

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 am

Well I was around when this game took place and remember the furious injustice of the hand of god goal. It still rankles obviously but we can't ignore the fact that overall Maradona was one of the greatest players of our times (hence the appropriate respect b/w him and Lineker). I would have thought that a reconciliation between one of Argentina's sporting legends and an England goalie that never won anything internationally would be quite low on Maradona's list of priorities to be honest.

Shilton might be in the right but the press isn't doing him any good IMO. No reason to forgive Maradona but no reason for such bile. In 20 years they will both probably be longer with us, we are just talking about a game of footie (however major). If there is a commercial reason for them to reconcile, or the two football associations want it then I'm sure they can agree something 'off the record' and shut up forever. But frankly I doubt if there is any interest.

Fouls that give an unfair advantage, large or small, were part of the game back then. Maybe Lineker deliberately dived to earn a penalty in a world cup qualifier in Albania in the past and Albanians still believe that they would have qualified for a world cup if it wasn't for that 1-0 defeat in Tirana. Who knows.

At least now we have VAR and pretty soon these kind of cheating events will not bring profit. In fact if VAR had been in use back then, Maradona would likely have been sent off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am

Does that stand for Vile Argentine Rat ??

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:56 am

Bluemike wrote:Does that stand for Vile Argentine Rat ??
It could BM, it could :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:42 am

marko69 wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:That cheating b*stards "hand of Cheat" basically denied England a chance of progressing in the world cup. I understand Marko not feeling the same as me on this one, but if it was Scotland who went out because of it, I ask, would he be a cheating b*stard then?
Oh my God, Deeko, I wish I had more time here to log all the times Scotland have been cheated at international football. Most recent one was Bale throwing himself to the ground in Cardiff a few years ago, there was actual light between him and Scotty Brown. Fkn cheating bstd gets the penalty, Scotland out......, (shouldve beaten Lithuania though

So, to answer your question.........., if it was hand of God v Scotland, yes, I'd forever be slightly pi$$ed off about it.

But, this isn't about me, it's about Shilton and he's being a tit! Grow up Shilton, FFS! :D
If you and I can be pissed off with Madonna and Bale just as fans, cant you see Shilts point that he was robbed of potentially World cup Glory as a player? Just a thought. :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:44 pm