Ipswich vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we go for a Burton?

Ipswich Win
86%
Burton Win
14%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 7

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Well that was f*****g awful, in fact it was worse than that, just about as bad as it gets, second best from start to finish against the bottom team, yes without doubt the worst I have seen all season. To say I am fed up is an understament, after last weeks impressive result and solid display we resort to that garbage, I'm freezing cold, soaking wet and bloody windswept and for what ? A bunch of players who with a couple of exceptions didn't seem to give a sh*t, worryingly it was pretty much the team nearly all Town fans would have picked and yet we looked like the team at the bottom of the table, make no mistake about it Burton are useless and yet we matched them in every department and more because it was they who deserved to win the game, it was they who had more desire, it was they who tried to get the ball down and play and it was they who at least had a few efforts at goal.

It won't be hard to remember what to report by way of chances etc because there really wasnt any, not from us anyway. The first half hour passed by with little action of any note, Burton dominating possession and having a couple of half chances, for Town we had failed to really string Two passes together, it was so disjointed and a bit of a shambels, Celina had tried to run at them a couple of times while again carter-Vickers looked to be reading the game well and getting tackles etc in but aside from that very little. You really had to be there to appreciate how bad it was, around me people were actually doing the crossword and playing "guess the next sweet" out of the haribo bag, others had their ohones in their hands and some were turning around chatting to those behind them, sadly they still missed no action at all. The boo's couldn't even wait until Half Time such was the fare on offer but even the negative chants were half hearted. It was as painful a half of Football as I can ever remember.

The second hyalf started with a glimmer of hope, Town actually coming forward with purpose and getting a couple of crosses into the box, Celina then had a half chance which came to nothing but it was our best opening to date which says it all. The early onslaught if you can call it that didn't last long and Town old boy Darren Bent had a great chance to put Burton ahead, but thankfuilly Bart was alert to the danger and raced off his line to avert the danger with a good save. There was little sign of Town having the ability to break them down but things started to improve with the introduction of Mustapha Carayol, straignt away he went on a run which won a Freekick in a dangerous area, Waghorn firing a shot just wide of the post after being teed up by Skuse. It was at least an effort, albeit still not on target, The Town fans rejoiced in a chorus of "we've had a shot" closely followed by boo's and "Mick McCarthy you're Football is sh*t". The game was drifitng along in the same p*ss boring manner in which it had started but Carayol tried his luck with a nother run and shot which curled away into the side netting but again at leasat he was having a go and making things happen, sadly it was a one man show. Following another error from the p*ss poor Knudsen Burton were close to scoring but thanks to a great save from Bart we held on for the crucial point which Mick will no doubt be happy with.

It cannot be any worse, it just can't, the bottom side being the better side on your own patch, nothing on target until the dying minutes, no quality football of note played by the players in Blue, some looked disinterested while others just didn't look good enough. Waghorn & garner received no service at all, the Midfield huffed and puffed and failed to win the battle, Celina treid with little result and Ward did what ward does, great last week, AWOL this. I have lost count of how many games we play with no Fullbacks because every week Knudsen is a liabilty and today Spence was even worse, time after time Jonas was sent away and every single time when he has a chance to run at them and get into a dangerous position he checks back and momentum is lost allowing the defence to regroup, he does it every single f**king time, if and when MM does p*ss off please take this useless pile of crap with you. The one bright spot, other than bart was the cameo by Carayol, from the minute he came on he tried to be direct and run at players, he won a frrekicks and had a decent effort which went just wide but the hunger was there, ok he was playing for a contract but even so he did it. I really cannot believe how bad we were today, the conditions were poor but the same for both sides, we were coming off the back of a good result and spoke in the week about backing it up, we talk the talk but that is where it stops and it happens all too often.

Bart (8) Spence (4) Chambers (6) Carter-Vickers (7) Knudsen (5) Ward (5) Connolly (5) Skuse (6) Celina (7) Garner (5) Waghorn (5)

SUBS :- Carayol (7) Gleeson (5)

Typically it is set up perfectly for next Sunday now, we are struggling while that lot are improving, a win for them will see them leap frog us for virtually the first time this season and based on what I saw today that is exactly what will happen cus playing like that we will get torn apart. Thankfully we definitely play better away. it suits our style and the pressure is not so great but we had a Golden opportunity to give ourselves a big confidence boost and we blew it big time.

I cannot even comprehend Mick staying beyond this season, it cannot happen, the damage will become almost irreversible with dwindling crowds and ill feeling, even by Mick's standards I see it as impossible for him to remain, even he can't be that thick skinned, he needs to have some dignity and move on. I just do not get why we are so up and down, he seems unable to motivate them for Two halves let alone Two games in a row and that is worrying, I don't think he has lost the players but I do think they are now losing a bit of belief in the whole damn thing, they are like rabbits in headlights at home and it is only going to get worse in the remaining home games. Depressed ? It doesn't come close.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Soul destroying reading but hats off for taking the time to write it.

Really do feel for you fans, especially the ST holders.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:35 pm

If today’s abject performance had been a horse, it would have been put down in the interests of animal cruelty!

Prior to KO the team looked good on paper, with Celina replacing Sears. Whilst much vitriol will be directed at MM, the players must take the lion’s share of what happened - or didn’t - on the pitch. Lack of energy, p*ss poor passing, powder-puff tackling, zilch midfield creativity....enough! Why? Who knows - yes Burton played a high intensity, in your face, game and earned their point; due to Bart’s outstanding save at the death, we scraped a point. Spence and Knudsen were particularly poor - neither are really good enough. Mini bright spot was the introduction of Carayol, who showed a bit of urgency and an ability to go past people. Otherwise the team performance matched the drab, cold, weather, and totally flat atmosphere around a very sparcely populated PR.

If our feathered friends had scouts present, based on today’s dross they’ll be placing the champagne on ice. Won’t have done much ahead of ST renewal time and decisions.

Superchef1

Post by Superchef1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Oh heck :(

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Reaction from fans on the EADT after MM's post-match interview:

Second time without the word sh*t in it!
I'd be happy getting paid what you do for producing excrement!

Yes look at the players they had on the pitch........... yawn ................... they've got a lot of championship players ...........yawn....... well bloody bully for them! Pity we haven't, what an utter shambles. Any Martians tuning in today wouldn't have known which team was meant to be bottom of the league on that performance, but I think they would have guessed it may be the ones playing in blue and white, what an embarrassment!!!!

Such a flat experience at Portman Road, it really is !!! . Spend your money on over priced everything and then sit in a trance for 90 odd minutes watching poor football. Where has the passion gone ? McCarthy can not motivate the players and does little to connect with the supporters. Once again the McCarthy season is over and he expects to be planning ahead for next season on another well paid contract. Another season of nothing. More supporters being lost and it is no surprise there was a small crowd again today. Evans surely has to do something now.

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which there is a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings.

Club an utter shambles. Disinterested Owner, Clueless tactically inept and arrogant manager, unmotivated and unorganised players, bored and totally despondent fan base. Something HAS to change and quickly.

If there is anyone out there who can take some positives from the current situation at ITFC I suggest you get down to Portman Rd because they need you to help with writing the season ticket renewal brochure.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:35 pm

Seen it read that McCarthy (by his own admission) stated today was the worst we have played this season - Christ, it must have been bad. Thought about trying to take in some match "highlights" until you realize there's nothing to feasibly see..

Bottom line, held to a draw at home against opposition who most likely will drop to League One by May, not only that but Burton had more opportunity and possession if stats are accurate. Gleaned some reaction from TWTD and as would expect, considerable vitriol and castigation towards both manager and owner.

Hard to dispute, fair enough the former has his admirers and those who offer defense, but for everyone else, can't wait to see the back of these two inept "individuals". I implore them both to vacate their respective positions. Lowest home crowd since 1998 also if correct, those who stayed away possessed some commendable foresight.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Could it be that the players have stopped playing for him in the hope of getting him sacked just as Chelsea players did to get rid of Mourinho and more recently Leicester City players doing the same to get rid of Ranieri, just a thought.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:26 am

Bluemike wrote:Well that was f*****g awful, in fact it was worse than that, just about as bad as it gets, second best from start to finish against the bottom team, yes without doubt the worst I have seen all season. To say I am fed up is an understament, after last weeks impressive result and solid display we resort to that garbage, I'm freezing cold, soaking wet and bloody windswept and for what ? A bunch of players who with a couple of exceptions didn't seem to give a sh*t, worryingly it was pretty much the team nearly all Town fans would have picked and yet we looked like the team at the bottom of the table, make no mistake about it Burton are useless and yet we matched them in every department and more because it was they who deserved to win the game, it was they who had more desire, it was they who tried to get the ball down and play and it was they who at least had a few efforts at goal.

It won't be hard to remember what to report by way of chances etc because there really wasnt any, not from us anyway. The first half hour passed by with little action of any note, Burton dominating possession and having a couple of half chances, for Town we had failed to really string Two passes together, it was so disjointed and a bit of a shambels, Celina had tried to run at them a couple of times while again carter-Vickers looked to be reading the game well and getting tackles etc in but aside from that very little. You really had to be there to appreciate how bad it was, around me people were actually doing the crossword and playing "guess the next sweet" out of the haribo bag, others had their ohones in their hands and some were turning around chatting to those behind them, sadly they still missed no action at all. The boo's couldn't even wait until Half Time such was the fare on offer but even the negative chants were half hearted. It was as painful a half of Football as I can ever remember.

The second hyalf started with a glimmer of hope, Town actually coming forward with purpose and getting a couple of crosses into the box, Celina then had a half chance which came to nothing but it was our best opening to date which says it all. The early onslaught if you can call it that didn't last long and Town old boy Darren Bent had a great chance to put Burton ahead, but thankfuilly Bart was alert to the danger and raced off his line to avert the danger with a good save. There was little sign of Town having the ability to break them down but things started to improve with the introduction of Mustapha Carayol, straignt away he went on a run which won a Freekick in a dangerous area, Waghorn firing a shot just wide of the post after being teed up by Skuse. It was at least an effort, albeit still not on target, The Town fans rejoiced in a chorus of "we've had a shot" closely followed by boo's and "Mick McCarthy you're Football is sh*t". The game was drifitng along in the same p*ss boring manner in which it had started but Carayol tried his luck with a nother run and shot which curled away into the side netting but again at leasat he was having a go and making things happen, sadly it was a one man show. Following another error from the p*ss poor Knudsen Burton were close to scoring but thanks to a great save from Bart we held on for the crucial point which Mick will no doubt be happy with.

It cannot be any worse, it just can't, the bottom side being the better side on your own patch, nothing on target until the dying minutes, no quality football of note played by the players in Blue, some looked disinterested while others just didn't look good enough. Waghorn & garner received no service at all, the Midfield huffed and puffed and failed to win the battle, Celina treid with little result and Ward did what ward does, great last week, AWOL this. I have lost count of how many games we play with no Fullbacks because every week Knudsen is a liabilty and today Spence was even worse, time after time Jonas was sent away and every single time when he has a chance to run at them and get into a dangerous position he checks back and momentum is lost allowing the defence to regroup, he does it every single f**king time, if and when MM does p*ss off please take this useless pile of crap with you. The one bright spot, other than bart was the cameo by Carayol, from the minute he came on he tried to be direct and run at players, he won a frrekicks and had a decent effort which went just wide but the hunger was there, ok he was playing for a contract but even so he did it. I really cannot believe how bad we were today, the conditions were poor but the same for both sides, we were coming off the back of a good result and spoke in the week about backing it up, we talk the talk but that is where it stops and it happens all too often.

Bart (8) Spence (4) Chambers (6) Carter-Vickers (7) Knudsen (5) Ward (5) Connolly (5) Skuse (6) Celina (7) Garner (5) Waghorn (5)

SUBS :- Carayol (7) Gleeson (5)

Typically it is set up perfectly for next Sunday now, we are struggling while that lot are improving, a win for them will see them leap frog us for virtually the first time this season and based on what I saw today that is exactly what will happen cus playing like that we will get torn apart. Thankfully we definitely play better away. it suits our style and the pressure is not so great but we had a Golden opportunity to give ourselves a big confidence boost and we blew it big time.

I cannot even comprehend Mick staying beyond this season, it cannot happen, the damage will become almost irreversible with dwindling crowds and ill feeling, even by Mick's standards I see it as impossible for him to remain, even he can't be that thick skinned, he needs to have some dignity and move on. I just do not get why we are so up and down, he seems unable to motivate them for Two halves let alone Two games in a row and that is worrying, I don't think he has lost the players but I do think they are now losing a bit of belief in the whole damn thing, they are like rabbits in headlights at home and it is only going to get worse in the remaining home games. Depressed ? It doesn't come close.
I remember posting 6 years ago on this forum questioning ME's ambition for the club and stating I thought he was just using the club as a tax dodge.
Of course I was shot down by everybody, yet year on year we see dwindling crowds and the club going absolutely nowhere.
I'm afraid the blame lies fairly and squarely with the owner - sure, MM has completely lost it in the management department, but to be fair to him there is only so much that anybody can do with a pile of shít and ME's lack of investment means that whoever is manager they are only ever going to have a pile of shít for a squad.

I reckon 2 years from now it will be home crowds under 8000 and 1st division football if ME remains.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am

saint jude wrote:Seen it read that McCarthy (by his own admission) stated today was the worst we have played this season - Christ, it must have been bad. Thought about trying to take in some match "highlights" until you realize there's nothing to feasibly see..

Bottom line, held to a draw at home against opposition who most likely will drop to League One by May, not only that but Burton had more opportunity and possession if stats are accurate. Gleaned some reaction from TWTD and as would expect, considerable vitriol and castigation towards both manager and owner.

Hard to dispute, fair enough the former has his admirers and those who offer defense, but for everyone else, can't wait to see the back of these two inept "individuals". I implore them both to vacate their respective positions. Lowest home crowd since 1998 also if correct, those who stayed away possessed some commendable foresight.
The bottom line St Jude is that we held them to a draw! Two shots all game! Another game of total boredom and mind numbing tactics. It’s been the same all season briefly interrupted by moments of joy if we score! IF McCarthy stays then myself and grandson will not be going,the club will have a death wish to keep him!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:32 am

:roll: What was the attendance 13'813?? how many were away fans, and how many were none attending ST holders, I have a true feeling the attendance was more like 10'000 if we were lucky, and if Mick stays it will definitely be only around this mark next season, cant wait for the statement to renew your ST, I mean there's no way to state what a wonderful season we've had, :shock:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Every single person who took part in the prediction league this week predicted an Ipswich Town win with the average amount of ITFC goals being three.

Quasar chose four! Get off the drugs, dude!

AylesburyBlue went for an extremely close 1-0! What a pessimistic bstd! :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:55 pm

The obligatory 'provide a prediction after the game ended' did not come to pass this time also. Don't know what odds were available for a no score draw before play, someone could have made considerable money if ventured on such an outcome.

Yes we're a poor team, but was expecting at least one goal from it, ninety minutes at home against such an opposition surely warranted at least registering a score.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Just managed to catch some Villa v BC highlights......, commentator quote while looking at a Villa chance on replay..... "Birmingham claiming hand ball, but it clearly wasn't, it hit his arm!"
Is it different rules in Birmingham??

Great goal by Hourihane.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:45 am

rossi wrote:
I remember posting 6 years ago on this forum questioning ME's ambition for the club and stating I thought he was just using the club as a tax dodge.
Of course I was shot down by everybody, yet year on year we see dwindling crowds and the club going absolutely nowhere.
I'm afraid the blame lies fairly and squarely with the owner - sure, MM has completely lost it in the management department, but to be fair to him there is only so much that anybody can do with a pile of shít and ME's lack of investment means that whoever is manager they are only ever going to have a pile of shít for a squad.

I reckon 2 years from now it will be home crowds under 8000 and 1st division football if ME remains.
Rossi I'm the same as you. I'd been posting the same things a few years ago but was shot down by many. Been saying for a while that our horrible owner doesn't care at all about making us better and stronger....... Some were knocking me: 'Evans cannot spend money as there is a FFP blah blah blah, stop moaning blah blah blah'.

McCarthy this arrogant awful pighead is equally bad. Lots of long balls with no thought process at all. Long balls over the top which result in conceding possession. Even against bottom Burton at home. There have been many, many performances like that. Deathly slow midfield, we always allow opposition to regroup, the full-backs don't run with the ball, the CB's just whack it. Same old, same old. Teams exactly know what to expect from us.

Next week he'll try to snatch a draw by keeping things tight in midfield, by stopping Norwich from playing, by trying to keep Maddison quiet..... F**K OFF MCCARTHY YOU HORRIBLE PIGHEAD ! Just another game for you, eh?

Bluemike knows my stance as I've been saying for a long while that we will be a League One club by May 2020.
Last edited by Mach_Polish_Blue on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
rossi wrote:

Rossi I'm the same as you. I'd been posting the same things a few years ago but was shot down by many. Been saying for a while that our horrible owner doesn't care at all about making us better and stronger....... Some were knocking me: 'Evans cannot spend money as there is a FFP blah blah blah, stop moaning blah blah blah'.

McCarthy this arrogant awful pighead is equally bad. Lots of long balls with no thought process at all. Long balls over the top which result in conceding possession. Even against bottom Burton at home. There have been many, many performances like that. Deathly slow midfield, we always allow opposition to regroup, the full-backs don't run with the ball, the CB's just whack it. Same old, same old. Teams exactly know what to expect from us.

Next week he'll try to snatch a draw by keeping things tight in midfield, by stopping Norwich from midfield, by trying to keep Maddison quiet..... F**K OFF MCCARTHY YOU HORRIBLE PIGHEAD ! Just another game for you, eh?

Bluemike knows my stance as I've been saying for a long while that we will be a League One club by May 2020.
I, and I am sure many, many others totally agree with you.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:51 pm

:roll: They say you have to take the rough with the smooth, trouble is there's far too much rough games for fans to stomach, and with the possibility of another season of the same old, Colchester will be getting better crowds than us, :cry: its so depressing to even think about it. there must be light at the end of this long 16 year black tunnel

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Watership Down wrote:How do I add a Avatar?
User control panel/ profile/ edit avatar
Thanks Bluemike I'll try that