Ipswich vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we go for a Burton?

Ipswich Win
86%
Burton Win
14%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 7

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:45 am

Image Ipswich Town v Burton AlbionImage

Saturday 10th February 2018 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

This time last week I was writing about nothing else but doom and gloom and bemoaning the state of the club, everything seemed wrong and there was little to be upbeat about, however a week is a long time in Football and following the fine win away at Sunderland I have felt just a tad more positive the last few days, that is not to say that everything in the garden is suddenly rosy because it most certainly isn't, most of my thoughts have not changed but the efforts at the team did lift my spirits somewhat. We proved again that when we play football it can be very effective and yield results, after a dodgy Twenty Five minute spell when we were second best we got ourselves ahead and never looked back and by the time the final whistle went we were comfortable and worthy winners, trying to play Football as it should be played too, no long ball hoofing at all which was great to see but it really does have me scratching my head as to why it is not always the case that we play this way, we did it at Millwall and won, at Derby and won, at Leeds and should have won, home to Sunderland and thrashed them, I think you get the picture, we are clearly at our best when on the front foot and taking the game to the opposition.

Some players really do have me split on my opinion of them, Grant Ward being a classic case in point, all too often a player that flatters to deceive and yet on his day a potential match winner and a real handfull for opposition defences, thankfully against Sunderland it was the latter where for me he had his best game for as long as I can remember, unfortunately I believe that at times he is a player that hides when things are tough, he should be one of the players to make things happen when we need that spark of inspiration and this is why I am not his greatest fan if I am honest. Despite the win we still find ourselves Eight points adrift of the play off places and with games starting to run out that boat is slowly starting to look like it has well and truly sailed although you just never know, it would take another Ten wins at least and with only Sixteen games remaining can any Town fan honestly see us achieving that many victories especially given how inconsistent we are.

With Leeds this week having poached Barnsley's manager there is much talk about the possibilty of Mick McCarthy "returning home" to Oakwell, for me this really is something that could become reality, the only thing is with them being in such a precarious league position they really need a new man in place sooner rather than later and I just dont see MM departing during the campaign so that could well be a stumbling block, I suppose they could put a temporary man in interim charge but what a gamble that would be. I think there is no doubt he would do a good job at a club of this standing and with investment following the takeover it could just be he would be in a similar position to the one he was in at Wolves when of course he did the business. The whole scenario does have you thinking what might have been here had Mick arrived before either Jewell or Keane, the backing from Marcus Evans would still have been there and who knows what we could have achieved.

This week sees bottom club Burton Albion come to Town, they are having a really tough time of it right now and have just lost Four on the spin to drop to the foot of the table, add to that they are leaking goals for fun and the injuries are starting to hit hard (we know only too well what that can do). They are still in touch though and all is not lost which is why this will be no easy game at all, they are fighting for their lives and are capable of pulling off shock results, wins at Reading & Sheff Wed show they can deliver on their travels while a goaless home draw with Norwich was also a decent result so we have to take them seriously, it doesn't go unnoticed that they have leaked 58 goals, the most in the Division and with players out we have to attack them from the off, an early goal would do the trick for me as I feel we would go on to win this relatively comfortably, none of this sitting back nonsense, get at them and keep them pinned back. I can actually see us winning this one fairly well which would send us into the Norwich game on the back of Two wins which would be a massive confidence booster so I am going for a good Town win by Three to nil. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Burton Albion

Burton Albion can claim lineage from four now defunct clubs: Burton Swifts, Burton Town, Burton United and Burton Wanderers.

Burton Albion were formed in 1950, and joined the Birmingham & District League. They finished the 1953–54 season as runners-up, and in 1958–59 joined the Southern League North Western zone. In 1965–66, Burton missed out on the runners-up place on goal difference, but were still promoted to the Southern League Premier Division.

They avoided relegation in 1968, thanks to Stevenage Town folding, but were relegated to Division One after an unsuccessful 1969–70 season. Burton missed out on promotion on goal average in 1970–71, but finished as runners-up the following season and were promoted back to the Premier Division.

The next two seasons saw them relegated and then promoted back to the Premier Division again. They stayed in the same division until being relegated once more at the end of 1976–77.

League rearrangements saw Burton moved to the Northern Premier League, because of their location in the central Midlands, and then back to the Southern League in 1987–88, the season after losing in a replayed FA Trophy final to Kidderminster Harriers.

In October 1998, Nigel Clough was appointed as player-manager and he led the club to two successive runners-up spots, in 1999–2000 and 2000–01.

Burton were again moved to the Northern Premier League Premier Division in 2001–02, which they won by a margin of 15 points, and the club was promoted to the Football Conference for the first time.

The club was brought to national attention when they were drawn at home against 11-time winners Manchester United in the third round of the 2005–06 FA Cup. The Brewers held the Premier League team to a 0–0 draw at home, but lost the reply 5–0 in front of over 11,000 Burton fans, setting a record for number of away fans at Old Trafford.

In January 2009, Burton went on to set a league record for the most consecutive wins and, in February 2009, when the team was 19 points clear at the top of the table, Conference sponsors Blue Square declared Burton the winners of the 2008–09 title in a PR stunt in which they paid out all bets. However, a bad run of form only saw this confirmation take place due to other results on the last day of the season.

Burton finished in 13th place in their first campaign in the Football League.

During the 2014–15 season, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink took over the managerial position at the Brewers and led them to the League Two title, which meant promotion to League One for the first time in their history. Hasselbaink left by mutual consent in December 2015 to join Queens Park Rangers as manager.

Nigel Clough returned to Burton to replace him for his second spell as manager and led the club to a second-place finish in the league, earning promotion to the Championship, another first for Burton, in the 2015/16 season.

Last season Burton managed to stay up by 1 point, finishing in 20th place on the table.

The Manager – Nigel Clough

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

[youtube] [/youtube]

Media Watch - K L Blue

Will he/Won't he?

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5387095

Skusse's new deal? Good or Bad?

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/februa ... -new-deal/

Skusse on MM possible departure

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5388069

Celina up for goal of the month

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5387245

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in 12th place with 43 points

2 Jan Fulham 4 - 1 Ipswich Town

13 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Leeds Utd

20 Jan Bolton 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

27 Jan Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Wolverhampton

3 Feb Sunderland 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

Burton Albion Last 5 Matches – currently in 24th place with 24 points

1 Jan Sheffield Wed 0 - 3 Burton Albion

13 Jan Burton Albion 1 - 3 QP Rangers

20 Jan Fulham 6 - 0 Burton Albion

30 Jan Burton Albion 1 - 3 Reading

3 Feb Aston Villa 3 - 2 Burton Albion

Fixtures of Interest

SHEFFIELD UTD VS LEEDS UTD

DERBY COUNTY VS NORWICH CITY

BRENTFORD VS PRESTON N.E.

MIDDLESBROUGH VS READING

Match Referee – David Webb

IPSWICH TOWN 1 BURTON ALBION 0

Dubai Blue

Re: Ipswich vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:17 am

Great preview as always by all concerned.

[quote]but it really does have me scratching my head as to why it is not always the case that we play this way, we did it at Millwall and won, at Derby and won, at Leeds and should have won, home to Sunderland and thrashed them, I think you get the picture, we are clearly at our best when on the front foot and taking the game to the opposition. /quote]

Maybe this is about the opposition and whether they allow us the space to play this way rather than pressing us and forcing us to get rid of the ball less elegantly? I don't know as I'm not at any of the games.

I suppose if Barnsley have stacks of cash they would not mind paying off MMs contract and if ME is already thinking to change in May then it might suit all parties. Personally I'm still pretty convinced that MM is the right man for ITFC and I think he matches ME's level of ambition pretty well. But that's a different conversation :-)

Burton should be straightforward, will be interesting to see if the same line-up is picked with the derby coming up. Would be great to see a Sears goal.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 am

Good preview again Boys, we’ll done.

This fixture has the potential of being a “banana skin” if we don’t approach it professionally and seriously.

It should be a nailed on 3 points but we’ve heard that all before and you only have to look at a couple of Burtons recent Away results to understand the danger. Last weekend Burton came away from high flying Aston Villa losing only by the odd goal in a 3-2 defeat, and on New Years Day they ripped Sheffield Wednesday apart running out 0-3 winners. These two results alone should highlight the potential dangers. In fact Burton’s away results all season defy their bottom position with 4 wins and 4 draws which has given them only 1 point less than Town on their travels which would rank them 15th in the Championship table based on Away points only.

If we understand the dangers and enter the game with the right preparation I think we could run out easy winners. If we don’t, I dread to think what could happen.

Prediction

Town 3-1 Burton

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 am

Having been to see Burton away this season I was impressed with the football they were playing. They are a good side but missing that all elusive striker who can pop it into the net. We should have enough to claim the points, But agreed that Town need to take the game to them......

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:36 pm

Another game that we must win. Being at home and the strength of the opposition. Attacking football is what we need and the team selection should reflect that. No Freddie Sears because he needs a run out ....... play Celina who is more likely to score. Ipswich 2 Burton Albion 1

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:40 pm

How do I add a Avatar?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Watership Down wrote:How do I add a Avatar?
User control panel/ profile/ edit avatar

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 pm

We must win this one surely. 3-1.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Great preview as always by all concerned.
but it really does have me scratching my head as to why it is not always the case that we play this way, we did it at Millwall and won, at Derby and won, at Leeds and should have won, home to Sunderland and thrashed them, I think you get the picture, we are clearly at our best when on the front foot and taking the game to the opposition. /quote]

Maybe this is about the opposition and whether they allow us the space to play this way rather than pressing us and forcing us to get rid of the ball less elegantly? I don't know as I'm not at any of the games.

I suppose if Barnsley have stacks of cash they would not mind paying off MMs contract and if ME is already thinking to change in May then it might suit all parties. Personally I'm still pretty convinced that MM is the right man for ITFC and I think he matches ME's level of ambition pretty well. But that's a different conversation :-)

Burton should be straightforward, will be interesting to see if the same line-up is picked with the derby coming up. Would be great to see a Sears goal.
Would be a fooking miracle :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:34 pm

:roll: As most on here have stated, if we go for the jugular and just attack we should manage a win, 4-0, :D Waghorn 2 Celina 1 Ward 1

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Great preview again thanks to all concerned. I was bery gloomy last weekend and thought a beleagered Sunderland side would whip us ,glad to say I was very wrong. I hope we can put this game to bed also,though its too late ...or should i say we are inconsistant enough to Mount a serious challenge on the top six we should have enough if everyone turns up to win this one.

Town 3 Burton 1

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Actually had a dream about the club last night, no bullshit, approaching the stadium on a non-match day although things appeared distorted i.e. ground size was far more expansive and as if situated in a whole new location. Don't what it all means, but point being, it is on very rare occasion any dream about the club occurs.

Back to reality and you could argue if the team can't take points from Burton with home advantage then what's the point of it all. No offense to Nigel Clough and the fine work he has achieved but seriously, how many really envisage anything other than three points from this ? Still believe the top six may just be out of distance by end of season but this at least represents an opportunity to add three points to the hitherto total.

Ipswich 2 Burton 0

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Funny, I had a nightmare about Ipswich, and I still haven't woke up! :lol:

I'm not sure we'll win this. Burton just scored 2 goals at Villa. It won't be easy.

ITFC 2-1 Burton Albion

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Must've been Goodison Park you dreamt of, Saint.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm

saint jude wrote:Actually had a dream about the club last night, no bullshit, approaching the stadium on a non-match day although things appeared distorted i.e. ground size was far more expansive and as if situated in a whole new location. Don't what it all means, but point being, it is on very rare occasion any dream about the club occurs.

Back to reality and you could argue if the team can't take points from Burton with home advantage then what's the point of it all. No offense to Nigel Clough and the fine work he has achieved but seriously, how many really envisage anything other than three points from this ? Still believe the top six may just be out of distance by end of season but this at least represents an opportunity to add three points to the hitherto total.

Ipswich 2 Burton 0

Hi SJ :roll: I think your dream is of your own conscious wanting greater things for Ipswich FC, i.e. like expansion, Promotion, what it also could mean is, that in the not to distant Future, a large foreign far eastern consortium, could take over Ipswich FC, and it could be a strong reality, and the club if promoted to the Premiership, could look to do a Tottenham or Arsenal and either expand the current ground capacity to 60;000, or rebuild a new stadia on the outskirts of Ipswich, similar to Colchester, Markus Evans is a tout, with many companies, and I think if he got the right offer would sell up, and look for another play thing to not invest in, so there you have it hopefully a dream that might just come true, especially if it was vivid.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:06 pm

not a good first few mins - Burton are really going for it,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:39 pm

It sounds like we’re struggling ?

Long ball game I guess and giving away possession ?

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Stats say no attempts for town in the first halve ! :shock:

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:19 pm

1st shot in 60 mins- Jaysus

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 pm

embarrassing

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:38 pm

79 mins gone and two shots off target. Utter garbage

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 pm

PATHETIC TOWN PATHETIC

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Now lets hear how awsome burtin were from mick mccarthy. Soooo glad i didnt take my mates offer of two free tickets and went to work unstead!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Strange day in the Champ today. Barnsley, Burton, Bolton & Sunderland all managing draws (in Sunderland's case a magnificent 2nd half turnaround) and Hull getting a win away too against Forest who like us only managed 1 shot on target all game.

Whilst massively disappointed with the stats and the result, will wait for the always excellent reports before judging.

Interesting to see that Norwich bossed Derby today in both possession and attempts. Looks like they will be feeling better about the next game than us...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:16 pm

It’s not sounding too promising but like others i’ll withhold judgement till we hear from those who were at the game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:21 pm

I won't wait until the reports before judging....., f**king terrible result. Should be beating Burton Albion @ Portman Road. That's the bottom line, but always welcome the reports.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:25 pm

That. Was. sh*t. Players as well as manager should hang their head in shame. Awesome save from Bart at the end to get us a point,1st half an embrassment, 2nd half a very minor improvement but still sh*t

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Glad I listened to my head for once and gave today a miss.
Will be at Carrot Road next week and have to say if the scum score early can see us being on the wrong end of a hiding. Things could get very messy if that happens.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Go now please MM you obviously can't motivate your team to beat the bottom club so do yourself, Ipswich Town fc and the fans a favour and just f*ck off.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 pm

What a load of UTTER DROSS.

Sling yer hook EVANS, and take McCarthy with you FFS!