Mick to stay?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

barmy billy

Re: Mick to stay?

Post by barmy billy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:51 pm

marko69 wrote:I'm fairly confident that you mean you'll maybe go watch a decent non league side, Billy? Chelmsford City or something like that? (I don't know the area) You wouldn't go and start being a Colchester United fan or anything drastic like that?
You are quite right Marko. Non-league Woodbridge Town, now being marshalled in midfield by Carlos Edwards.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 pm

barmy billy wrote:
marko69 wrote:I'm fairly confident that you mean you'll maybe go watch a decent non league side, Billy? Chelmsford City or something like that? (I don't know the area) You wouldn't go and start being a Colchester United fan or anything drastic like that?
You are quite right Marko. Non-league Woodbridge Town, now being marshalled in midfield by Carlos Edwards.
An interesting discussion this one and i can see where you are coming from Billy regarding watching another team.

I regularly watch a local team, one which plays at Level 12 in the football pyramid. I do not make many games at Portman Road these days (6-10 games per season I guess), much of this being due to work commitments. However, yesterday i had known for some time that i had a free weekend, which once upon a time would've seen me heading to Portman Road almost for certain, but do you know what? I didn't even entertain the thought of going! No i stood and watched a fantastic 11-2 home win for my local team on a weather-battered pitch (so much so that the game being called off was very much in the offing), all for the price of a programme and a cup of tea.

Later, at about 4.40 and anticipating a late Burton winner, i took a moment to reflect and search for answers! I have never made a secret of the fact that the whole matchday experience and not just the football is what appeals to me. Going on the train to Ipswich, a meal and a couple of pints with my mate is what makes the day, hopefully a fairly decent game and result just tops the day off. So i am certainly in a malaise when it comes to ITFC with a very sad "take it or leave it" attitude to attending the games. While it is not a cheap experience, it is not that i can't afford to go either.

I find it really sad that our club seems to be caught in that "between a rock and a hard place". A team lacking investment, lead by an experienced manager who with better backing i feel could have achieved more. Many wanting to see MM go and many concerned that without funds if any new manager do any better. While the level of commitment, and style of play is very poor on many occasions, i still have my doubts that MM isn't the best man for the job, but have got to the stage where i think maybe taking the risk of a new manager next season might be the only way forward now. MM has not been helped by injuries and lets not forget he has had, what i believe to be, the makings of a pretty decent midfield injured for the best part of the season, the likes of Huws, Adeyemi, Dozzell, Bishop, all names that should be in the matchday squad somewhrie. However the negativty of MM starting next season, even with a fully fit squad and cheap new additions/loans, would possibly see crowds dipping below 13K regularly, there would be very little feelgood factor, an early exit in the league cup too and we would fall even further adrift with a team devoid of confidence and scared to make mistakes. However a new manager always has a honeymoon period with a more positive atmosphere might, just might start to get us back on track.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:37 pm

11-2 home win, Azz? Can ITFC swap Sears for your hometown club striker?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:16 pm

marko69 wrote:11-2 home win, Azz? Can ITFC swap Sears for your hometown club striker?
Well his name being Rocastle (nephew to the late David, i believe) has a certain football pedigree about it already i guess and with 7 goals yesterday he could hardly do any worse than poor Freddie ! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 pm

herforder wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:
number 9 wrote:Mick must really love living in the Ipswich area if he's considering staying on. He certainly isn't accomplishing anything of worth with his management of ITFC. It seems odd a man of his experience would be content with under achievement. And I suppose equally, ME is also satisfied with running a business that remains tens of millions in debt. How can fans even compete with that mentality. I suppose we just hang on for a sunny day because at the moment it's raining buckets!
He doesn't live in Ipswich area, he lives in Bromley Kent
Family home’s in Bromley; lives here during the week - for the time being, at least!
Yeah, I thought it might be difficult living in Bromley and showing up for practice everyday! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 pm

I would welcome his extension
I couldn't resist that one. I don't know how I missed it. :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks for the report Mike, what a shocker !

I just don’t know how we’ve got to where we are after such a brilliant start to the season, it’s completely bizarre and makes no sense.

With Norwich in form and us out of form I dread to think of the likely outcome next Sunday at Carrow Road. I certainly won’t be watching SKY in the local bar, after being totally embarrassed last time we played and didn’t show up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:46 am

In years gone by, when I've known the Jambos are in better shape, can only hope for nothing embarrassing to pan out. Even on that bus to the 2012 Scottish Cup Final, most Hibees were predicting a hiding, but a minimum of 3-1 would've been acceptable......, Hearts and their squad (which they couldn't afford) were so much better. Ended 5-1 and (on the day) embarrassing. Truths that came to light in the subsequent months took the edge of that embarrassment.

That's all ITFC fans can hope for this weekend -----> nothing embarrassing. Can see nothing else but a NCFC win this weekend but if it's a respectable 1-0 or 2-1, then that'll be better.

If on the other hand, Mick can motivate the players, instil in the players that this is massively important to the local area, then who knows. I can see both Garner & Waghorn raising their game a few notches for this....., hopefully the midfield can do likewise and offer some chances.

Can hear a McCarthy pre match talk:
"Now lads, they'll be playing down their right all game ok, just remember that."
Kay Nood: "Why boss?"
MM: "Coz you're sh*t, Jonas."

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:41 pm

The chances of a Town victory against them are between slim and zero. Reason being they possess a greater will to win each and every time we face off and the manager (McCarthy) will go out not to lose and can envisage an afternoon of kicking (high) into their half every opportunity we get and keeping the ball at safe distance from the goal. Hell the manager would view a point on the day as good as a victory regardless of how it occurs.