Mick to stay?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

charlton837

Mick to stay?

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Did anyone listen to the live press conference today? I very much got the impression that there was a big hint Mick may well be staying here after all. I never really doubted it, in his mind he honestly believes its just a "noisy minority" who want him to leave, he obviously takes no notice of the 3 or 4,000 that have left PR since he has been here or all those people who held ST for 20, 30, 40 years who could no longer put up with things. He makes a bit joke of it all laughing that I suppose both sets of fans want me to go to Barnsley, he just rubs ITFC fans face in things. Of course there are one or two who want him to stay but in his mind this is somehow the majority.

He has only ever threatened to leave in order to wind people up and make them think he could do, also as a sign to ME to cause him some food for thought what life would be like without him (in his mind). He said today that the people that are needed the most at Ipswich are him and ME and he really believes this. I think he has got ME by the balls and he knows it. He will be happy to take the 2 year option to stay on and will probably remain manager for as long as ME is involved at Ipswich. In fact sounds crazy but I wouldn't even be surprised if he were here in another 3 or 4 seasons, there seems no appetite to change whatsoever from either party.

Its pretty difficult to accept it but it is what it is. Would it best to have an awful run and end up losing the majority of our remaining games? I personally wouldn't want that and even if we did he would still be here next season. Its a shame that this club has come to accept that we are dead men walking without Mick McCarthy, maybe the owner should take note from many thousands of these "noisy minority", perhaps having lost nearly a third of our ST holders in 3 years should tell you something...

barmy billy

Re: Mick to stay?

Post by barmy billy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:23 pm

If MM does stay, I will withdraw my support fully and go and watch another team. MM is a thick, ill-mannered and tactless prat as far as I'm concerned and it will be a very sad day should he not move on.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I just really dislike his arrogance and contempt towards the supporters. OK they gave it to him last year but he quite rightly deserved it and he should have accepted it. Instead he insists on fighting back and even now he can say whatever he wants against the supporters and the club will not do a thing about it, in fact I very much believe ME will be begging him to stay, Mick is just waiting to get the deal he wants. If it wasn't for his comments to fans in the past 18 months I wouldn't be so against him, but I love my club, I love going to away games, I just feel he has shown a real lack of class and is passionate about himself, not Ipswich Town.

I don't for one second think ME is considering pushing him out. I considered giving up my ST last season but to be honest I really don't want to, I feel like I should given how I feel but it will probably be the same thing when ST renewals come round. That being said im sure we will lose some ST holders again this season with no change, probably another 500 or so IMO, wont be as bad as last season

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I think he summed it up at the end by saying he has not made any decision either way and that the decision will be his and his alone.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Mick must really love living in the Ipswich area if he's considering staying on. He certainly isn't accomplishing anything of worth with his management of ITFC. It seems odd a man of his experience would be content with under achievement. And I suppose equally, ME is also satisfied with running a business that remains tens of millions in debt. How can fans even compete with that mentality. I suppose we just hang on for a sunny day because at the moment it's raining buckets!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm

With reference to the original post, if we were to lose the majority of remaining games than relegation to League One would be just about assured. Would never wish the team to lose any game (as before stated) but if it's to better ourselves or rid the club of the dead wood than it's arguably a consideration. Marcus Evans appears the greater issue, got a number of business enterprises : you can bet your as* Ipswich Town Football Club is, in so many words, "far from a primary concern"

Then you got the manager himself. Probably doesn't read the news, misses media and other publications. Goes home after match days and pulls the drapes on the outside world. Indifferent to whatever issues we may or are enduring and any castigation that may come his way deflects off his rhino skin. Not a week that goes by that don't vehemently wish for his departure but lo and behold, the f*ck remains with us.

Very unlikely to leave now before May, the obligatory "I will consider my future" will come to pass in the summer, after that anyone's guess is as good as the next. If possible to walk away this weekend, would jump at the chance.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Dogs and tails = the relationship between ME and MM. Until that changes, nothing else will.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:01 pm

herforder wrote:Dogs and tails = the relationship between ME and MM. Until that changes, nothing else will.
perfect summary!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Gotta be honest i have nothing but disgust for any Town fan wanting us to lose, its your team FFS, when Mick has long gone it will still be your team, NEVER wish them to lose no matter what.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm

He certainly isn't accomplishing anything of worth with his management of ITFC.
Couldn't resist that one. Obviously everyone would love to get promoted but based on the resources that ME gives him I still reckon he is doing an excellent job. Year on year we have a better squad and I suspect that the asset value of the squad has increased year on year also. Sometimes we wish that he trusts his team more to attack and not be embarrassed, but next game we see that frankly they are not that good and have to admit that maybe his cautious approach has sense. He won't get it right every game but this year for sure we have seen an improvement in the quality of football, goals scored &c &c. Why shouldn't that continue if he can strengthen again?

We may wish for the owner to be more ambitious than just treading water, which is apparently how he has set out his stall but given the cards he has MM is doing just fine. I would welcome his extension, assuming we don't tank over the rest of the season, and I really don't see that happening.

As for MM's personality, well he's been with us is it 6 years? I reckon we should have got used to it by now. All these accusations of hating the fans &c &c are just bo***cks. He's a dour Yorkshireman with a character to match and a tendency to be direct, that's it.

It's the team that we follow. Right? We've seen all sorts come and go. They didn't all have characters that we personally identified with , we just have to get over it..... or not. It won't make any difference to him nor should it.

I do respect all opinions but sometimes wonder if we are not expecting too much.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:22 pm

For what it's worth, I really believe Mick will close the fancy Ikea blinds and he'll leave the drapes open.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:26 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:As for MM's personality, well he's been with us is it 6 years? I reckon we should have got used to it by now. All these accusations of hating the fans &c &c are just bo***cks. He's a dour Yorkshireman with a character to match and a tendency to be direct, that's it.
Yep, agreed 100%. I wish people would fk off with that Shyte too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:Gotta be honest i have nothing but disgust for any Town fan wanting us to lose, its your team FFS, when Mick has long gone it will still be your team, NEVER wish them to lose no matter what.

No real fan would ever be happy to see their team lose regardless of the circumstances. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn’t a real fan.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Couldn't resist that one. Obviously everyone would love to get promoted but based on the resources that ME gives him I still reckon he is doing an excellent job. Year on year we have a better squad and I suspect that the asset value of the squad has increased year on year also. Sometimes we wish that he trusts his team more to attack and not be embarrassed, but next game we see that frankly they are not that good and have to admit that maybe his cautious approach has sense. He won't get it right every game but this year for sure we have seen an improvement in the quality of football, goals scored &c &c. Why shouldn't that continue if he can strengthen again?

We may wish for the owner to be more ambitious than just treading water, which is apparently how he has set out his stall but given the cards he has MM is doing just fine. I would welcome his extension, assuming we don't tank over the rest of the season, and I really don't see that happening.

As for MM's personality, well he's been with us is it 6 years? I reckon we should have got used to it by now. All these accusations of hating the fans &c &c are just bo***cks. He's a dour Yorkshireman with a character to match and a tendency to be direct, that's it.

It's the team that we follow. Right? We've seen all sorts come and go. They didn't all have characters that we personally identified with , we just have to get over it..... or not. It won't make any difference to him nor should it.

I do respect all opinions but sometimes wonder if we are not expecting too much.
sort of agree with much of what you say. But trust me if you had been going to the games week in week out you may feel differently. If I was looking from the outside I would probably have the exact same view as you as stated above. Im sure you do see some games on TV etc. but it does wear you down watching this side play at times. The incorrect thing is people say its just last season, I say its from half way through the Play Off Season until this season that most of what has been put in front of us has been utter dross.

Also about MM, I think he could have softened his stance this year and got some people back on side, but he continues to show people he cares about nothing other than himself. The whole club atmosphere would be nicer if we were all pulling in one direction, MM tells fans what he expects from them saying he wants a good atmosphere etc. Then belittles, insults and generally acts like a tw*t to them in his interviews.

Any my personal view on where the tipping point was, his utter backing to Jonathon Douglas when everyone could see if it wasn't working. I think that's the one the really got to a lot of fans and this eventually meant they turned. This also resulted in the player himself getting abuse (which was wrong), but MM was 100% to blame on that one, he didn't need to play him when we had better options. Add to that the Lincoln debacle and it all added to a point of no return...unless your Mick of course. I just wish he would p*ss off to be honest

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Well Charlton I definitely take your point about it being different if you are paying good money week in and week out. That must add up over a time for sure and I've spent almost no actual money on ITFC over the years (over 20) that I've been wandering around outside the UK.

On the other hand maybe I have the same perspective that the owner has and this ultimately is what matters. I'm sure he sees it as a business and for all this talk of promotion I would be totally unsurprised if he doesn't quietly have the actual objective of building the club to be an attractive acquisition to a major investor, like at Barnsley. Which means keeping it in the Championship above all else.

The new TV deal for the Premiership will certainly make a big buyout more likely. I could be wrong of course but failing much more investment than we have seen so far we are not going to have more than an outside chance of promotion and I think it's quite clear that ME doesn't have any interest in splashing out a la Derby or Wolves.

By the way, all signs indicate that all of the club IS pulling in the same direction, maybe just a section (maybe not a small one) of the fans is out of step ;-)

The fans at the games put their hearts into the club, so it's right that they are more passionate and demanding. But ultimately it's a business, with a limit of available business models.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:

You're probably right, I do expect too much at times. But with that said, I've tolerated several seasons with MM in which I really don't think we've accomplished much. We had one good season under MM, but ME refused to invest in January and pissed away our best chance of promotion. I was pleased with the additions of Waghorn and Garner...and we've picked up a few good loans...but we're not even challenging for the play offs. I think our current record is 13 wins, 13 losses and 4 draws. Is it too much to expect more wins than losses, at least?

Obviously, there are more reasons for ITFC's demise than MM as the manager. The title suggest, Mick will stay...I'm of the opinion he should leave.

As far as MM's 'dour', Yorkshire attitude...well here's a bit of Dallas, Texas attidue...f*ck off to Barnsley, Mick! :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 pm

barmy billy wrote:If MM does stay, I will withdraw my support fully and go and watch another team. MM is a thick, ill-mannered and tactless prat as far as I'm concerned and it will be a very sad day should he not move on.
:) Well said BB, and I'll reckon a tidy few thousand will do like wise

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 pm

number 9 wrote:Mick must really love living in the Ipswich area if he's considering staying on. He certainly isn't accomplishing anything of worth with his management of ITFC. It seems odd a man of his experience would be content with under achievement. And I suppose equally, ME is also satisfied with running a business that remains tens of millions in debt. How can fans even compete with that mentality. I suppose we just hang on for a sunny day because at the moment it's raining buckets!
He doesn't live in Ipswich area, he lives in Bromley Kent

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
number 9 wrote:Mick must really love living in the Ipswich area if he's considering staying on. He certainly isn't accomplishing anything of worth with his management of ITFC. It seems odd a man of his experience would be content with under achievement. And I suppose equally, ME is also satisfied with running a business that remains tens of millions in debt. How can fans even compete with that mentality. I suppose we just hang on for a sunny day because at the moment it's raining buckets!
He doesn't live in Ipswich area, he lives in Bromley Kent
Family home’s in Bromley; lives here during the week - for the time being, at least!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:05 am

People get berated for the idea of the team suffering defeats if it meant the manager was to go or forced out, but how do they feel when it's suggested abandoning the team altogether and focusing elsewhere, they seem quiet on the issue.

On the latter, we've been with it all through the manager's tenure, on a personal note would never entertain just throwing team endeavors by the wayside only because it has reached a pinnacle of intolerance. Just wish there was a decision one way or the other regarding where the manager's future lies. It's almost as if he's playing some game or making fools of everyone by refusing to disclose his intentions or playing what could be argued, some juvenile riddle. By god (it) seems at times he almost enjoys it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:15 am

Abandoning their team altogether? Not quiet on the issue at all, not true fans....simple.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 am

barmy billy wrote:If MM does stay, I will withdraw my support fully and go and watch another team. MM is a thick, ill-mannered and tactless prat as far as I'm concerned and it will be a very sad day should he not move on.
Sorry that's just f**king stupid. Nobody wants MM gone more than me, but I would not support another team if he stayed. Its just not possible :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:34 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sorry that's just f**king stupid. Nobody wants MM gone more than me, but I would not support another team if he stayed. Its just not possible :shock:
Agreed.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:12 am

I guess I'm just effing stupid then. I can live with that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 am

I'm fairly confident that you mean you'll maybe go watch a decent non league side, Billy? Chelmsford City or something like that? (I don't know the area) You wouldn't go and start being a Colchester United fan or anything drastic like that?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:24 pm

I’ve a horrible feeling that this time next year we’ll still be having exactly the same discussions on here. Reading between the lines I think it’s looking more and more likely that Mick McCarthy will still be managing our football team.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:26 pm

I still think he will go Charny.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Understand that feelings and opinions run high, and every supporter has freedom of choice and personal tipping point, but there’s surely a huge difference between chosing not to support an owner and manager, and abandoning the club into which years of emotional and financial and commitment may have been invested. For a club that’s in every true supporter’s DNA that’s not an easy thing to do and, probably in the longer term, impossible to live with.

The current regime are transient, one day they will be gone. What matters is that - no matter how current circumstances are panning out - the Club survives. It’s bigger than the sum of it’s parts, and supporters are it’s soul.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:I still think he will go Charny.

I hope so Mike, but if he does I still have a niggling worry about who ME will bring in to replace him as sadly I have no confidence in him getting it right. That said I liked the appointment of Roy Keane at the time and thought he would be a “Winner” but he turned out to be hopeless, and although i’ve never been a Mick McCarthy fan I thought he’d be a good experienced manager good enough to get us out of the Championship, and to be honest had Evans supported him financially he may well have been good enough, I guess we’ll never know.
I also wonder if we should blame Evans as much as McCarthy for the deterioration of our style of play given the limited resources MM has had to work with, surely his style of play hasn’t always been like that which we criticise him for.
I definitely think it’s time for a change but fear for the future with an owner unwilling or unable to invest the fortunes needed to get out of this League and compete in the one above.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Whether he stays or goes, it should be clear to all that ME’s annual level of investment, and financial model, is unlikely to change; so a MM replacement would need to be capable of working effectively within it. No easy task just to maintain stability, let alone be serious play-off contenders.

MM’s already been speaking about work in progress to identify potential loan players for next season, nailed Skuse’s contract extension, hinted that McG will be away, brought in a couple of players with an eye to the future and stated, on numerous occasions, how happy he is here, and what a good working relationship he has with ME. Now hinting to the local media that he might well be staying, is possibly partly timed to get the idea out there prior to ST renewals etc.

Time will tell, but it should come as no surprise to find that he stays. Probably ME’s preferred option.