Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will Mick McCarthy still be here at the start of next season ?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 am

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 32

herforder

Re: Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Post by herforder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 am

ME’s waiting for MM to decide his future - it really is that simple. In fact, I think that decision has been taken between them - making it public, relative to ST renewals timing, is the issue.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 am

herforder wrote:ME’s waiting for MM to decide his future - it really is that simple. In fact, I think that decision has been taken between them - making it public, relative to ST renewals timing, is the issue.
what is your gut instinct on the decision? I also agree I think a decision has already been made. I think maybe its better to just announce the decision if he is staying, just get it done and let people make their own minds up over the next couple of months if they want to continue watching or if they want to give up their ST. Its only right and fair to let people know considering a good number have been calling for change for over 18 months now.

If the decision is made that he will move on (unlikely) again I think its better to perhaps announce this, were not going to get relegated and If we are told hes going at the end of the season I think you will see the fans get behind the team again in a way that they haven't for a while. Certainly having a man in charge who is leaving will not be ideal but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it will make much difference to the current situation. For my liking the club itself has been far too quiet in the last couple of years, no positive PR moves at all, just silence and deaf ears.

As I say I think he has decided he will stay, but I just want to know one way or the other....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 pm

I agree with you Herforder, I think the decision has already been made and I believe he will definitely be leaving at the end of the current campaign

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm

MM has always stated that the decision of whether he stays or goes will be down to him.
That implies that if he decides to stay then ME will be delighted.
So unless MM gets a better offer elsewhere (extremely unlikely IMO), I'm afraid we're stuck with him

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Let’s all toss a collective coin - best of three, if you like! :wink:

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:08 pm

I feel MM wants to leave. He knows he will get a championship job at some point next season. If ME really wanted to keep himI'm sure he would have offered a new contract by now like he did previously.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:14 pm

Well I will need to know before I renew my S/T! If he stays that’s the end of attending Portman Rd for me and my grandson till he does go.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Jacko, I get why you say this but don't let him drive you away from YOUR club.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:Jacko, I get why you say this but don't let him drive you away from YOUR club.
Sorry Mike but it has got to the point where I sit there and think what is going on! Plus I was caught up in the over 60’s fiasco and very nearly cancelled last year.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Yeah that was a bloody insult and they've now admitted it was a big mistake. I just hope you get your wish so you can continue to go.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 pm

To me one of the biggest insults is true longstanding fans such as bluejacko are labelled as the noisy minority by MM. I wish he would actually speak to a few of these fans and hear what they have to say. Certainly the club should be doing this, the ST package last year was such a PR mistake and most of us could have told them that before they even made the announcement.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 am

How many more season ticket holders will not renew with the early bird option..?
With McCarthy still at the club they need to tell fans.
I will not renew mine I will pick and choose the games next season if they do not say before the deadline.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Highly inconsiderate of the club to not disclose the manager's future while the season tickets become (or are) available. Can understand to every extent those who remain undecided. Realize Portman Road is not cheap and fans want value for money and some considerable return for what is spent, being witness to invariably sub-standard performance and devoid of any tangible ambition will only keep supporters away - unless changes are made in time, that encourages people to return.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 am

According to a work colleague who's son plays at the academy says, all the talk around the place is he is going. YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 am

derick_ipsw wrote:According to a work colleague who's son plays at the academy says, all the talk around the place is he is going. YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
I heard all the same rumours last season. I don't think they mean anything. I think the only 2 people that know for sure are MM are ME. Not even Chambers, Skuse etc would know for sure imo

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I too hope what Derick heard is right but like me with the Tarrico rumour some are just complete tosh, fingers crossed.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Scuttlebut? But who really knows - wouldn’t have thought it was the Academy lads. Good topic for them to chew on though, and no doubt injects a bit of spice into their daily routine. In other words, exactly the same for the majority of workplaces. With no hard news or facts available, speculation invariably fills the vacuum!

But......and there’s always one of those!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Until there is actual confirmation from within the club that the "individual" (for want of better words) has departed then not prepared to let hope stand in the way of things. Tired of all the f**king around and mislead rumors regarding the issue, we need to know one way or the other who will be in position by the time of August. Obviously surplus to requirement at the club, just announce it and find employment elsewhere, that is if another club would even hire his sorry as*.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 pm

I think the decision is as finely balanced as our opinion poll and could still go either way depending on where the team finishes at the end of the season.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm

MM will take into account supporters’ views when deciding whether to sign an extended contract in the summer. Précis of his words today.

What does that statement tell us? An extension has already been offered by ME? The ball’s in MM’s court, but he owns the ball? ME wants him to stay - irrespective of the impact on ST renewals. No change to the business model, that MM is happy to work within. Mid-table mediocrity at least guaranteed - got it you, stupid customers!

Oh, by the way, we can’t understand why the media keeps pushing the line that a rift exists between the club and it’s supporters. Where’s the evidence???

Fuc*ing priceless!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am

herforder wrote:MM will take into account supporters’ views when deciding whether to sign an extended contract in the summer. Précis of his words today.

What does that statement tell us? An extension has already been offered by ME? The ball’s in MM’s court, but he owns the ball? ME wants him to stay - irrespective of the impact on ST renewals. No change to the business model, that MM is happy to work within. Mid-table mediocrity at least guaranteed - got it you, stupid customers!

Oh, by the way, we can’t understand why the media keeps pushing the line that a rift exists between the club and it’s supporters. Where’s the evidence???

Fuc*ing priceless!
I get this impression too. Ive almost given up caring to be honest (well i do care of course, but if i tell myself i don't then perhaps it can lessen the frustration). Ive told myself MM will be here for the next 2 seasons as i honestly think he will be. The whole thing is a joke, Milne admitted that he was aware of this rift, if they give him a 2 year extension with no explanation then this really just sums the whole thing up.

Does MM really believe that fans are on side with every victory and against him with every defeat? If that were the case why did they not get booed off after every defeat in his first 2 or 3 seasons. The man should have a bit more respect for the fans, even if he feels he is the best man for the job i think he should really admit hes given it a go, done a decent job but people want a change, for better or for worse... He should give us that chance. He claims its just a small minority that want him gone, but that's simply not true, its just a small minority doing anything about it.

The last thing i want to do is boo and show frustration after a win, but perhaps we all need to support the team wholeheartedly during the game and boo Mick and chant for him to leave even after a victory at home? Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

As i say. i give up a bit, what can we do? Clearly nobody cares about us.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Evans is the bigger issue of the two for sake of reiteration. If - or when - the club is ready to move forward after more than ten years of hibernation, a new owner is absolutely paramount. Not sure how this ideally goes ahead.

Can Evans be forcibly removed by a higher power or is it up to the individual to leave of his own free will. If the latter, then it's a real concern. As long as there's Evans at the club can only view McCarthy will be in place also. Robson and the Cobbolds seem a galaxy away from what we once possessed in comparison with recent years. Sheepshanks wasn't for everyone, but at least with names like Royle, Burley or even Lyall the team was able to challenge and there was a level of expectancy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Evans owns the club and cant be forcibly removed by anyone.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:39 pm

You won’t get rid of MM by booing on match days. If fans are serious about change, they should aim their protests directly at Evans. For example, I’m sure ME would get a little annoyed if fans started showing up with Mick Out signs at his business events. Also, the supporters club could use the media much more to spread the message. At least it would make the fan’s voices harder to ignore. Trust me, Evans does not want any bad press that may have a negative effect on his ‘real’ business interests. Just a thought...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 pm

The problem is No.9 I still honestly believe it is a minority that feels this way, I may be wrong.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:The problem is No.9 I still honestly believe it is a minority that feels this way, I may be wrong.
I cant see how that can be the case to be honest. Are you including the near on 5,000 fans that have already given up their ST whilst MM has been in charge? These shouldn't be forgotten about, some may well have left as they are disillusioned by Evans and the club itself but some certainly gave up (especially last season) as a direct result of MM staying. My personal view is that if they did a poll at the game that it would be about 70-30 in the favour of wanting a change, but I guess we will never know.

Whilst it may surprise some I would not be totally against MM staying, by that I mean if Evans did genuinely decide to back him and give him enough resources to do the job then I think MM has done enough to deserve that chance to spend a bit. But we wont, it will be a couple of million at most, and with that being the case I think we just need a fresh face, some new ideas.

In any case I think the only way this can be rectified if he does stay is if he clears the air with the fans, issues a proper apology, and actually makes a sincere attempt to get them back on side and understand their frustrations, rather than saying he wants to win back the hearts and minds and then telling them to f*ck off when he thinks hes got one over the fans. For me the worst interview he did was after the Forest game at home when he went on a rant saying "remember Mick McCarthy your football is sh*t, Mick McCarthy get out of our club, remember that because I always will" or something along those lines. How can the relationship ever be fixed with him acting that way. Some town fans are to be blame too but if he stays then something drastic has to happen and it has to be a compromise, this has to start with the club itself (ie Evans) and then MM and then fans have to give it a chance. I don't see all this happening though

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 pm

I think you would be surprised with that poll result mate, a lot of that 5000 lost fans are not because of MM either, rising prices etc are very much part of the issue, I accept we have lost way more than we should because of MM and his style of football but I still believe many have issues with Evans rather than Mick. Mick is also right when he says it is a loud minority who boo too because that is right. Going back to the incident on Sunday when Mick told the fans to "f*ck Off" it is obvious to anyone that he was aiming it at the morons who were singing "your football is sh*t" during the most important game of the season with everything very much still to play for, and you know what I don't blame him, I would have done it too, bloody prats, people need to seriously realise he would not be aiming it at the proper fans that were there Sunday supporting the team, only a couple weeks ago Mick was saying how fantastic the away following is but that is easily forgotten, I didn't take offnce to it because (A) he was right and (B) I never felt it was aimed at me in the slightest.

That said I still think he has to go, the situation is very much past the point of turning it around and the number of disgruntled fans will grow and grow, that I cannot argue with, a poor performance tonight and a defeat could well hear lots of boos at te full time whistle and my opinion here could look total gubbins.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Maybe ME should hold a Mexit referendum all season ticket holders can vote. It could improve sales!

As for swearing at the fans, had I been in the crowd it would not have bothered me. It shows he cares and wants to win. On the other hand it does show the boo boys have got to him and for that reason he will leave.

There is little point in venting frustration direct at players or manager during the season it can't help morale and confidence. The only way is by not renewing season tickets. That's what I did I made a choice that my money was better spent elsewhere. But not once did I ever boo or abuse anyone, I just left in a mood not coz we lost but the way we lost.
Last edited by Ando on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Ando wrote:Maybe ME should hold a Mexit referendum all season ticket holders can vote. It could improve sales!

As for swearing at the fans, had I been in the crowd it would not have bothered me. It shows he cares and wants to win. On the other hand it does show the boo boys have got to him and for that reason he will leave.
Agree with that 100%

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Agreed MM won’t be able to turn it around with the fans.

That makes it essential that ME sorts it out ASAP with MM and makes a statement that MM will be leaving end of season. Listening to MM it sounds as if he’s the one who will be making the decision. It’s crazy. Who’s actually in charge here?

MM and ME seem to have some relationship upon whereby they trudge on doing the same old thing on a budget whereby ME doesn’t have to do too much or show face ... and MM can pretty much do what he wants and just has to take the inevitable growing resentment.

It’s simple for me .... tell the fans ( Mick can do this himself) NOW that he leaving end of the season. There’s a lot to be gained from this in uniting the club and the fans ... and I believe a lot of the venom towards Mick would disappear. Could well be a ‘thanks and good luck’ farewell to Mick come April/ May if this is handled appropriately. If handled badly, we’re going to get more and more of this situations between Mick and the fans. I can’t help but think Mick actually enjoys some of the grief generated by the rift .... and it’s up to someone like ME to end this unnecesary point- scoring between manager and fans. Except he seems more happier just letting Mick go on with his business.

He’s been here 5 1/2 years and in footballing terms that’s a long time. I can’t see this being some mid to long term project that Micks on .... just he’s treading water and filling the squad with loans and short term contracts. I don’t believe Mick has the commitment or trust to go with our youth and prefers a short term fix with journeymen or loans.Time for a change ... I’m thinking Mick will not be here next season because it makes no sense and the rift will be double and cannot see us getting 10K in the ground next season. I’m thinking Mick knows this, but is spinning this out longer than necessary just to get some reaction.