Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will Mick McCarthy still be here at the start of next season ?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 am

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 32

Shed on tour

Re: Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:Sheffield Wednesday Fans views of MM
“Mick is a down to earth Barnsley lad who tells it exactly how it is, doesn’t suffer fools and doesn’t look for weird scapegoats”, “Reports have linked us with Mick McCarthy taking over for next season. I wouldn't mind that at all. He's a Yorkshire bloke and one thing he does know is the Championship.”

A recent Daily Mail story linking our manager with the Owls was picked up by their supporters. “He has had Ipswich around the top half for years with a squad budget less than what we paid for Jordan Rhodes”, “He did a great job to get them anywhere near the play-offs in previous seasons.”

“I like Mick. He's pretty good at picking out a player or two in the market as well. I have seen Ipswich quite a few times over the last few seasons and he has had the likes of Ainsley Maitland-Niles in on loan and blooded youngsters, notably Jason Dozzell's young lad.”

“The best thing he does is organise a defence behind a solid keeper and Bialkowski was a real find for them. There would be some murmurs of discontent but I'd absolutely love to see him here”, “His celebration of Ipswich's goal v Norwich last week is the best thing I've ever seen on a football pitch.”

“He has still not signed a new deal though he's said he's prepared to.”, “It would be a big mistake for Ipswich not to tie him down to a new deal, they won’t get anyone better. He has got a reasonable track record at this level but I’m not sure he plays the kind of football our fanbase would love.”

“Considering the amount of money Ipswich have spent during his time as manager they should be thankful that they aren't one of the clubs that have slipped into League One in recent seasons. They should be careful what they wish for.”
For me the key sentence is “He has got a reasonable track record at this level but I’m not sure he plays the kind of football our fanbase would love”.
I believe this is what the majority of our fanbase feel as well.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Sheffield Wednesday Fans views of MM
“Mick is a down to earth Barnsley lad who tells it exactly how it is, doesn’t suffer fools and doesn’t look for weird scapegoats”, “Reports have linked us with Mick McCarthy taking over for next season. I wouldn't mind that at all. He's a Yorkshire bloke and one thing he does know is the Championship.”

A recent Daily Mail story linking our manager with the Owls was picked up by their supporters. “He has had Ipswich around the top half for years with a squad budget less than what we paid for Jordan Rhodes”, “He did a great job to get them anywhere near the play-offs in previous seasons.”

“I like Mick. He's pretty good at picking out a player or two in the market as well. I have seen Ipswich quite a few times over the last few seasons and he has had the likes of Ainsley Maitland-Niles in on loan and blooded youngsters, notably Jason Dozzell's young lad.”

“The best thing he does is organise a defence behind a solid keeper and Bialkowski was a real find for them. There would be some murmurs of discontent but I'd absolutely love to see him here”, “His celebration of Ipswich's goal v Norwich last week is the best thing I've ever seen on a football pitch.”

“He has still not signed a new deal though he's said he's prepared to.”, “It would be a big mistake for Ipswich not to tie him down to a new deal, they won’t get anyone better. He has got a reasonable track record at this level but I’m not sure he plays the kind of football our fanbase would love.”

“Considering the amount of money Ipswich have spent during his time as manager they should be thankful that they aren't one of the clubs that have slipped into League One in recent seasons. They should be careful what they wish for.”
For me the key sentence is “He has got a reasonable track record at this level but I’m not sure he plays the kind of football our fanbase would love”.
I believe this is what the majority of our fanbase feel as well.
I agree. Although I think most can accept this type of football for a few years, after that if your not challenging at the top then it becomes incredibly boring. Lets face it when Mick came in we were in a mess and anything that picked up results was going to be accepted by town fans. For me most of what Sheff Wed fans say about Mick is correct, but I can say with some certainty if he was to go there I don't believe he would be there for 6 years like he has been here.

I do think we have a chance to win tonight though, Sheff Wed look in a bit of a mess. I would go for the kill from the off and really put them under pressure, if ever there was a time to take the shackles off and go for a team I think tonight could be it

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 am

I think it says it all how Town fans mindsets are right now where MM is concerned as we are focusing on the only negative comment on that list of fans views. As you say the rest is really spot on but everything has a sell by date.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:31 pm

The question is , why cant McCarthy play attacking football?

That’s ALL the fans are asking for !

Is that too much to ask for, really?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:45 pm

hallamblue wrote:The question is , why cant McCarthy play attacking football?

McCarthy plays not to lose Elizabeth, I know that as much as yourself and many others within the fanbase.

That's one reason perhaps above all others that I vehemently oppose his continuation as manager even if it meant significant funds where at his disposal. We need a manager who's not afraid to experiment and play an attacking style often enough to provide the team with an opportunity to succeed. McCarthy (I feel) is not the individual for it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:59 pm

I see Milne has stated ( from TWTD) in the next couple of weeks they will announce ST prices and clarify the manager situation for next season. About time ......

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:02 pm

tangfastic wrote:I see Milne has stated ( from TWTD) in the next couple of weeks they will announce ST prices and clarify the manager situation for next season. About time ......
Reading his comments makes it look as though Mick is going to me,

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:32 pm

saint jude wrote:
hallamblue wrote:The question is , why cant McCarthy play attacking football?

McCarthy plays not to lose Elizabeth, I know that as much as yourself and many others within the fanbase.

That's one reason perhaps above all others that I vehemently oppose his continuation as manager even if it meant significant funds where at his disposal. We need a manager who's not afraid to experiment and play an attacking style often enough to provide the team with an opportunity to succeed. McCarthy (I feel) is not the individual for it.

Very true SJ . A post match caller to the local radio. He said we’ve got the attacking players in the squad/ club, and although admittedly they are all long term injured this season, even if they are fit next season, he doubts very much McCarthy would pick them ahead of the more defensive midfielders st the Club. This I also believe. He needs to move on and so does the Club. The Club is dying through sheer boredom and predictability right now. Evans must act .

longjohn

Post by longjohn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
tangfastic wrote:I see Milne has stated ( from TWTD) in the next couple of weeks they will announce ST prices and clarify the manager situation for next season. About time ......
Mike, I hope you are right but I fear it might be wishful thinking. I think Milne means just the opposite and MM is staying. The 'change' he mentions doesn't seem Manager-related to me .. “I think one thing is the season ticket side, but also I think there’s also probably a change, a letter of intent from the club of what we’re doing in the future and what have you, without going into too much detail." Wouldn't surprise me if they just tinkered with the five point plan as a means of introducing 'change'. Sacking/not extending McCarthy doesn't need a letter of intent - it just needs confirmation of what they have decided.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Predictability? :lol:

Seriously, if that was true, I'd have won an absolute packet with the Preston and Sheff Wed away results!

I've got the top of the fence literally wedged up my arse crack! Little positive side says CHANGE, get moving forward. Massive negative side says, "NO!!!" Can only try but the thought of a proper doughball manager and a Sunderland / Birmingham season scares me.

But if change happens, it'll obviously be welcomed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm

longjohn wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Mike, I hope you are right but I fear it might be wishful thinking. I think Milne means just the opposite and MM is staying. The 'change' he mentions doesn't seem Manager-related to me .. “I think one thing is the season ticket side, but also I think there’s also probably a change, a letter of intent from the club of what we’re doing in the future and what have you, without going into too much detail." Wouldn't surprise me if they just tinkered with the five point plan as a means of introducing 'change'. Sacking/not extending McCarthy doesn't need a letter of intent - it just needs confirmation of what they have decided.
Yes John, it is a bit ambiguous for sure but the following paragraph reads to me that things could be about to change, maybe I am seeing how I want to see it, all I know is its getting bloody boring now tbh.
Many fans are likely to make their decision whether to renew their season tickets on the management situation.

Quizzed on whether there will be any news on that front prior to the season ticket announcement, Milne responded: “I think the timing is quite important. I appreciate that it’s not just the season ticket prices, it’s gauging for next season. We’re totally into that one and, yes, the two things will come together.

“You’ve got to bear with us on timing on all of that. We understand where the fans are coming from, we totally get it and we will come out with the announcement at the appropriate time so they can make the right decision.”

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:07 pm

I think they will announce he's staying but give us a new vision to get behind through stable management/leadership. Just like the 5 point plan which turned out to be BS. I see little sign of that plan being implemented. I liked how they put we would play attractive football, who puts that in a plan?it's fairly obvious. They just tell people what they want to hear and then carry on with the same old anyway

I agree all this is getting boring but I can see it going on for another 2 years if there is news that he's staying...

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm

What I’m looking forward to is what slogan they come up with for selling season tickets for next season.
Any suggestions from out TB’s members?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:25 pm

:roll: Buy one get 10 free????

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Time for change - we promise to close upper tiers of North and South stands

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Time for change...Let’s paint the turnstiles!

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Hopefully not. He was brought in to take us up on a budget and has failed. I will forgive most managers most results as long as the players are allowed to go out and try and win a game of football. The sooner MM leaves the better. The football under his leadership has mostly been dour to say the least. The guy in charge at Luton will do for me, or any other 40ish manager with ambition. I quite like the Championship and am happy to carry on going along as long as I have breath in my body, but a bit of entertainment would be nice.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:12 pm

2018/19, we promise, guaranteed EPL ------> Expensive Pies 'n' Lager.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:27 pm

marko69 wrote:2018/19, we promise, guaranteed EPL ------> Expensive Pies 'n' Lager.
Mmmmmm Droool Pies 'n' Larger Droool Mmmmmmmm Homer Simpson moment. :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:38 pm

number 9 wrote:Time for change...Let’s paint the turnstiles!
AGAIN :lol: I'll bet there wont be anything really positive, :cry: Oh how we could do with a positive change for all the fans. :o

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Ash....., after 9 has painted those turnstiles, the fans can all watch it dry. That'll be new and I'd expect the fans to be happy with that new injection of excitement.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm

blimey Mick is spikey in his press conference today, on verge of getting up and walking out on more than one occasion. Even having a go at Brenner. I think perhaps he is off after all! He looked mega pissed off hes heard second hand about what Milne has said, theres no way if he were staying he would have been like that, surely. That's probably the most pissed off ive seen him when talking to press.

Very interesting, id imagine his next stop is going to be Milne! Press conference only lasted about 5-10 mins if that. If they have gone behind his back I can imagine he might just walk out now!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Yes, Mick did look pretty disheveled and a tad upset.... and even usual suck-up Brenner Wooley was taken apart.

Maybe he caught Milne on the phone to Pardew. All is forgiven, Mick.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:19 pm

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-tow ... -1-5430019

He just looks completely hacked off.

Two things:
1/ He's always talking about any opposition as "a really good side".
2/ At the end there, he answers a particular question with, "I just use the players I've got."

This to me makes me think, that he thinks, his side isn't a really good side.

No doubt hacked off due to funds, and hacked off (with visible attitude) due to being upper/mid table but on the receiving end of fans discontent.

Not sticking up for the guy in the slightest, but I'm understanding his anger.

Mevans, thanks for 2007, but get your arse the fk out of PR.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:52 pm

marko69 wrote:http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-tow ... -1-5430019

Two things:
2/ At the end there, he answers a particular question with, "I just use the players I've got."

No doubt hacked off due to funds, and hacked off (with visible attitude) due to being upper/mid table but on the receiving end of fans discontent.

Totally agree. Just sorry but i can't see this happening worse bloody luck

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Two things:

Im not sure that's why hes annoyed, that's been the case for a while now. Something changed today, something that he feels really let down by. I think hes been fairly consistent saying that as long as hes got the backing of the owner and club then hes happy, well today he was anything but happy so what might that suggest? Perhaps him being so sure Evans would beg him to stay might not be reality. I don't know, but something is going on. I want him to leave like most others, but this club needs to get answers out now. I think if Milne has said the comments he has before Mick has even been told then that's really not great, but now Milne has said this will all come out in a couple of weeks I think theres going to be so much talk/rumours going round that they may have to release the info before that. This is a strange situation, but Mick today didn't look like a guy who had the backing of his board and on the verge of signing a new deal.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33328

*sorry if someone already posted this.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:15 pm

This is just typical of how Evans operates. Magilton learned he’d been sacked via text I believe! He also let’s things go right up to the wire. I don’t think it is helping the situation at all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:28 pm

charlton837 wrote:

Two things:

Im not sure that's why hes annoyed, that's been the case for a while now. Something changed today, something that he feels really let down by. I think hes been fairly consistent saying that as long as hes got the backing of the owner and club then hes happy, well today he was anything but happy so what might that suggest? Perhaps him being so sure Evans would beg him to stay might not be reality. I don't know, but something is going on. I want him to leave like most others, but this club needs to get answers out now. I think if Milne has said the comments he has before Mick has even been told then that's really not great, but now Milne has said this will all come out in a couple of weeks I think theres going to be so much talk/rumours going round that they may have to release the info before that. This is a strange situation, but Mick today didn't look like a guy who had the backing of his board and on the verge of signing a new deal.
If what you are saying is accurate, then the fans have to assume that an announcement will be made prior to ST time.

Still can't quite figure out why there isn't a proper discontent at the entire board protest.

For me, it ALL points back to that "C" Roy Keane. Not healthy to remain angry with the past but my feckin God, that guy scared Mevans so much that everyone is now suffering. Him and his awesome Tampon vision!

Keith Deller won a few grand throwing darts. Can he not buy Ipswich!? Or is he a Tesco self service checkout operator now or something?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 pm

The club has fed us so much BS over recent years haven’t got a clue what will happen.
Then again those at the top probably haven’t either. Marcus is probably sitting in his hideaway flipping a coin, heads he stays, tails he goes.