Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will Mick McCarthy still be here at the start of next season ?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 am

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 32

charlton837

Re: Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Post by charlton837 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:32 pm

tangfastic wrote:Agreed MM won’t be able to turn it around with the fans.

That makes it essential that ME sorts it out ASAP with MM and makes a statement that MM will be leaving end of season. Listening to MM it sounds as if he’s the one who will be making the decision. It’s crazy. Who’s actually in charge here?

MM and ME seem to have some relationship upon whereby they trudge on doing the same old thing on a budget whereby ME doesn’t have to do too much or show face ... and MM can pretty much do what he wants and just has to take the inevitable growing resentment.

It’s simple for me .... tell the fans ( Mick can do this himself) NOW that he leaving end of the season. There’s a lot to be gained from this in uniting the club and the fans ... and I believe a lot of the venom towards Mick would disappear. Could well be a ‘thanks and good luck’ farewell to Mick come April/ May if this is handled appropriately. If handled badly, we’re going to get more and more of this situations between Mick and the fans. I can’t help but think Mick actually enjoys some of the grief generated by the rift .... and it’s up to someone like ME to end this unnecesary point- scoring between manager and fans. Except he seems more happier just letting Mick go on with his business.

He’s been here 5 1/2 years and in footballing terms that’s a long time. I can’t see this being some mid to long term project that Micks on .... just he’s treading water and filling the squad with loans and short term contracts. I don’t believe Mick has the commitment or trust to go with our youth and prefers a short term fix with journeymen or loans.Time for a change ... I’m thinking Mick will not be here next season because it makes no sense and the rift will be double and cannot see us getting 10K in the ground next season. I’m thinking Mick knows this, but is spinning this out longer than necessary just to get some reaction.

Agree completely with this, its the point I was making the other day on a different thread I believe. Whilst not ideal I also think that the bad feeling would mostly disappear overnight and people would reflect more favourably on what MM has actually done in his time here rather than focus on the disaster that's been the last 18 months

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 pm

charlton837 wrote:
tangfastic wrote:Agreed MM won’t be able to turn it around with the fans.

That makes it essential that ME sorts it out ASAP with MM and makes a statement that MM will be leaving end of season. Listening to MM it sounds as if he’s the one who will be making the decision. It’s crazy. Who’s actually in charge here?

MM and ME seem to have some relationship upon whereby they trudge on doing the same old thing on a budget whereby ME doesn’t have to do too much or show face ... and MM can pretty much do what he wants and just has to take the inevitable growing resentment.

It’s simple for me .... tell the fans ( Mick can do this himself) NOW that he leaving end of the season. There’s a lot to be gained from this in uniting the club and the fans ... and I believe a lot of the venom towards Mick would disappear. Could well be a ‘thanks and good luck’ farewell to Mick come April/ May if this is handled appropriately. If handled badly, we’re going to get more and more of this situations between Mick and the fans. I can’t help but think Mick actually enjoys some of the grief generated by the rift .... and it’s up to someone like ME to end this unnecesary point- scoring between manager and fans. Except he seems more happier just letting Mick go on with his business.

He’s been here 5 1/2 years and in footballing terms that’s a long time. I can’t see this being some mid to long term project that Micks on .... just he’s treading water and filling the squad with loans and short term contracts. I don’t believe Mick has the commitment or trust to go with our youth and prefers a short term fix with journeymen or loans.Time for a change ... I’m thinking Mick will not be here next season because it makes no sense and the rift will be double and cannot see us getting 10K in the ground next season. I’m thinking Mick knows this, but is spinning this out longer than necessary just to get some reaction.

Agree completely with this, its the point I was making the other day on a different thread I believe. Whilst not ideal I also think that the bad feeling would mostly disappear overnight and people would reflect more favourably on what MM has actually done in his time here rather than focus on the disaster that's been the last 18 months
Yes, you did make that point and I agree entirely. From a business standpoint, I can’t see why you would not make a decision now to show you have some kind of plan or some kind of progression in mind.

If ME thinks Mick has done a decent job, then plan for a successor to build on what Mick has put in place for something fresh. I don’t see the impending doom if Mick goes. I only see the ever increasing apathy and gloom if he stays. ME is no idiot.... he’s aself-made billionaire .... who’s seen circus acts in charge here and also overseen Mick in charge here.... so it’s up to him to see what kind of manager would be best suited. He must know that Mick’s time is up. Another Mick-type would not work. A younger manager from the lower leagues would be my choice. Someone who sees this job as a step up and bring in a bit of energy and enthusiasm.

It’s gone beyond the’ be careful what you wish for’ stage..... many fans are willing to risk the unknown rather than the certainty of Mick’s drab football.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Yes, we certainly need a fresh start. I'll say it again though...if fans really want change they'll have to aim their protests directly at ME. It really isn't even worth getting into confrontations with MM; he doesn't give a sh*t anyway. As far as ME thinking about a replacement, well imho he should already have someone in mind...which I'm sure he does. Unfortunately, MM's replacement may not be what most of us want. Futher, I am getting concerned about ITFC in general...dwindling gates, and ST omissions are certainly indicators of a club in demise. I hope I'm wrong, but as many of us have been saying for a few years now...the rot has to stopped asap!

P.S. Good to see Tang posting again!

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:33 pm

I've said all along that he will be going nowhere.

After reading today his latest comments on the official website, I am even more of that opinion; it's clear that if ME offers him a new contract he will take it.

MM may still have ambition to at least get to the playoffs, but I do not think he would be tempted by going to another club with an apparently better chance than us of doing so (even if such a club wanted him, which I doubt) - he's getting too old now for change and he is comfortable here.

To me, it doesn't matter who the manager is - we have a squad by-and-large of players other clubs didn't want, put crap in and you get crap out - they may be hard-working but to get to the play-offs you need a bit of quality and we have absolutely none. Unless Evans either goes or changes his ways I can see mid-table mediocrity at best for a few seasons yet.

doobs

Post by doobs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:59 pm

rossi wrote:I've said all along that he will be going nowhere.

After reading today his latest comments on the official website, I am even more of that opinion; it's clear that if ME offers him a new contract he will take it.

MM may still have ambition to at least get to the playoffs, but I do not think he would be tempted by going to another club with an apparently better chance than us of doing so (even if such a club wanted him, which I doubt) - he's getting too old now for change and he is comfortable here.

To me, it doesn't matter who the manager is - we have a squad by-and-large of players other clubs didn't want, put crap in and you get crap out - they may be hard-working but to get to the play-offs you need a bit of quality and we have absolutely none. Unless Evans either goes or changes his ways I can see mid-table mediocrity at best for a few seasons yet.
Regrettably, I agree with all of the above - I too have always been convinced that both ME & MM fully intend to continue with more of the same but do not want to announce it until the last minute and after the majority if not all of season ticket renewals have taken place - for that reason I see no light at the end of the tunnel - depressing !

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:34 am

You must consider just who is running this football club!
MM swears at the fans not a peep out of Milne or the owner,he comes out with it is his decision to stay or go,again not a sound from the ‘top’.
Record low attendance,record low s/t holders (likely to plummet if he stays)dire performance on the pitch and again not a word to be heard from above!
RIP ITFC

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:34 pm

I’ve still got this feeling that Micks planning to leave, but is enjoying being central to all the uncertainty and is enjoying winding us up further and stretching it out longer.

He can have his fun a bit longer as long as he leaves.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 pm

tangfastic wrote:I’ve still got this feeling that Micks planning to leave, but is enjoying being central to all the uncertainty and is enjoying winding us up further and stretching it out longer.

He can have his fun a bit longer as long as he leaves.
So whoever is in actual charge should be telling him to wind his neck in!
This nonsense can only affect attendances even more.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 pm

I think yesterdays win at Preston tips the balance towards him staying and listening to his comments after the game on the Football League show last night, he sounds like a man with the intention of going nowhere anytime soon.

We may need to start preparing ourselves to him being here for at least another season maybe two.

As far as this thread is concerned the poll is closed with 47% expecting him to still be here whilst 53% expect him to be gone.

Only time will tell but clearly our thoughts are very divided.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:49 pm

All I do know is that if we are faced with MM staying we really have to get behind the team, tough I know but it is a must or it all just becomes counter productive, if people are going to continue to attend next season then support the team, if that is just too hard to do due to the MM factor then stay away completely as the negative sh*t hurts no-one other than YOUR club, MM or ME won't give a damn, our beloved club will suffer.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:29 am

I think if Mick stays we need to start afresh all round and treat it like a new appointment. I mean let the past stay in the past. The fans need to support the club 100% and try and support Mick 100% too and accept he will get some things wrong, some right like any other manager. As well as this Mick needs to stop trying to cause divisions and also let the past comments stay there. As I mentioned before after the Nottingham Forest game (which we won) all he was worried about doing in the press conference is reminding people that he pissed off about people turning their back on him last season. Lets just all be adults and come together as we are not going to achieve anything with all this infighting, it cant help anything.

Would I be happy about Mick staying? not really but im so fed up of all the crap of the last 2 seasons that I think this has to end, if its not going to end by a change then apologies all round and a way of working together moving into next season has to be found. After last season I was incredibly close to packing in my season ticket, right now I am of the opinion that I will not be letting anyone drive me out of my club, I want to see it do well, I don't care who the manager is so long as they want to be here and have a plan for us. IF Mick is to say then lets hear from the powers that be to explain why they feel this is the right decision and give us something tangible to buy into we. We have lost our identity along the way.

Having said all the above if we play like we did against Burton on Saturday then nobody will be happy.

Also I was trying to put together a list of positives and negatives recently, I think if you look at the midfield positions, if we can get Huws, Adeyemi, Dozzell, Bishop Downes back in and around the squad I think we have the makings of a good midfield with lots of options. Perhaps Ben Morris, Aaron Drinan can also add to the striking options. A couple of reasonable signings in the summer could see us have a squad which is a million miles better than what it was last season when we were so dreadful. So its not all doom and gloom.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Charnwood wrote:I think yesterdays win at Preston tips the balance towards him staying and listening to his comments after the game on the Football League show last night, he sounds like a man with the intention of going nowhere anytime soon.

We may need to start preparing ourselves to him being here for at least another season maybe two.

As far as this thread is concerned the poll is closed with 47% expecting him to still be here whilst 53% expect him to be gone.

Only time will tell but clearly our thoughts are very divided.
Well he certainly looked a very smung bardtsrd in the post match interview. Something’s changed. He looks happy !!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Of course he's happy, the son of a bitch earns an outrageous salary where no other employer would rightfully hire him. McCarthy must resemble a pig in sh*t at this club. People are right when suggesting the Preston victory may have warranted a further extension, (and) unless he's been thrown a curve ball from a higher power, his self-righteous after-game interview indicates he's as good as secure another year or two. Dislike Evans more than the manager, but together these individuals will only set the club back further the longer they remain in position.

One play-off finish and a few sporadic uplifting performances and scores from 2012 to present time : and at the end of it all a new contract would seem imminent. For many it's simply belligerent that this should be allowed to continue. Apologize to any and all McCarthy enthusiasts but fed up to a considerable extent with how the club has been in disarray for such period of time, and the relevant names responsible for where we now find ourselves.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:35 pm

I’ve just been reading the MM to Reading, S.Wednesday and West Brom rumours. It’s all speculative, but there’s still a few TWTD posters wanting MM to stay. They are certainly not the majority, atleast not on that forum. I still have trouble understanding why some fans still want MM to stay. Are they under-achievers? Are they content with stagnation? Are they scared? Is it really worth supporting a mid-table team that predictably survives relegation, but repels promotion? I think Ipswich fans need a bit of fear and unpredictability again. FFS, lets start a new chapter in the annals of ITFC. MM has done a decent job on a small budget, but let’s at least give some one else a try. We can’t go on for ever with MM just keeping us mid-table. Is that philosophy even worth supporting?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Taking that one step up, that's like asking a Tottenham or Everton fan to quit supporting their club because they're not going to win it anytime soon, 9.

Definitely understand the ambition that you speak of, but, ......, well I won't even say it. It's been said enough now in lots of differing ways in the several thousand threads.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:29 pm

marko69 wrote:Taking that one step up, that's like asking a Tottenham or Everton fan to quit supporting their club because they're not going to win it anytime soon, 9.

Definitely understand the ambition that you speak of, but, ......, well I won't even say it. It's been said enough now in lots of differing ways in the several thousand threads.
I hear what you’re saying, and I know ME has a lot to do with it as well. And just for the record, I’d be more than happy as an Ipswich fan to finish mid-table in the Prem...well at least for a while. :lol:

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:47 am

The fans have always been 100% behind their club...They also have a right to voice their views or leave with their feet should the club fail to listen, as they appear to be doing now.

Marcus Evens has missed a grand opportunity when he appointed MM as his manager. He should have offered MM a war chest and allowed him to work his magic. He chose a different route and MM supported it and in my opinion still does. Few can argue the fact that MM has bought in well with the restraints placed on him. The fans were demanding answers from the top......It never came, Milne is as we all know about as much use as tits on a nun when he should take a lead. MM has stood up and got the full wrath of its supporters who needed to blame someone,something anything for the frustrations of many decades.

I feel that this summer the club is at a cross roads and ME if he still wants to own this club needs to make the right choice. IF he chooses to retain MM.....He needs to also pledge some serious investment to his manager who can attract players who will put bums on seats In time the fans may return......If MM stays under the current regime and conditions then gates will fall below 12k for fans have simply had enough.

Should a fresh ambitious young manager come in who believes in the youth but knows that their will be NO player budget to speak of. Fans will have a curious look , Its a tough one to call.......for me , Ive had it with MM unless ME gives him a fair budget.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:25 am

Result of poll = no one knows.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 am

The problem with the fresh young manager approach LnP is that for every amazing success there are 20 failures. Frankly you have hit the nail on the head about investment. A fresh young manager and no investment = relegation in my opinion unless we are incredibly lucky. MM is still a quality manager as we have all seen but needs much more cash if he is to get out of this league. Even then there are no guarantees.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:00 am

marko69 wrote:Result of poll = no one knows.

It’s as clear cut as Brexit !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:06 am

I’ll stick my neck out and wait to be shot down, however my preference would be to see McCarthy given a substantial budget to get us up, rather than start afresh with a new manager. Getting promotion from the Championship is one of the most difficult jobs in football within Europe and MM has the experience to achieve this if given the resources. I can’t help it but I just don’t like the bloke, that aside I can’t think of many others with a better track record and more experience at this level.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Charnwood wrote:I’ll stick my neck out and wait to be shot down, however my preference would be to see McCarthy given a substantial budget to get us up, rather than start afresh with a new manager. Getting promotion from the Championship is one of the most difficult jobs in football within Europe and MM has the experience to achieve this if given the resources. I can’t help it but I just don’t like the bloke, that aside I can’t think of many others with a better track record and more experience at this level.
even though I have never liked MM as a manager, I agree that this would be by far the best option for the club

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:18 pm

I agree too.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:49 pm

If MM is given significant funding, I agree it would be best to keep him as much as I hate to say it. It would make sense for stability if nothing else. MM does have a record of getting teams promoted, so with cash on hand he could possibly do the same for us. The boring, overly defensive football may in fact be a result of the quality of players MM has been forced to bring into the club. As much as I've wanted MM to leave, I'd still love to see him succeed here. It's all about ITFC anyway...it's not solely about the manager or owner. I just hope departing season ticket holders will also have a change of heart, and support their club. We need the money...I believe the survival of ITFC depends greatly on attendances.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Who's going to provide any substantial expenditure so we are able to challenge or remain competitive ? Fair enough (we) take on board that the manager is not an ideal name for the position, but when at any time do you expect the owner to hand over any cash required to provide the team with a chance. Yes there's been spending along the way during the ten years of ownership but nowhere near the level required to provide the team with a realistic chance of achieving something - hence why we've struggled all these years.

A list of inefficient and sub-standard managers during that time have only compounded the situation but first and foremost the chairman / owner is (arguably) most culpable for any and all deficiencies.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:20 pm

A view from the local rag that most of us living away don’t usually get to read...

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/nort ... -1-5419662

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Think yourself lucky, Charnwood. The endless repetitive write-ups that I've personally read can only be infinitely more boring than the football itself.

I do wonder if management read "some" of them? Maybe they've read three or four and thought, "fk it, same sh*t, different author."

Hoping the McCarthy decision is made public very soon so that a new "discuss the future" topic can begin.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Town fans are not only patient but polite also. Here lies the issue, MM thinks it's the minority against him because most are too polite to voice their opinions. However more and more are at breaking point. The worry is we all know what will break the camels back!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Ando wrote:Town fans are not only patient but polite also. Here lies the issue, MM thinks it's the minority against him because most are too polite to voice their opinions. However more and more are at breaking point. The worry is we all know what will break the camels back!
MM would have to be an idiot to believe it’s only a small minority who’s opposed to him and I took that comment with a pinch of salt. He knows there’s a lot of discontentment. That’s what pisses me off .... no one from ME to MM or Milne is ready to deal with this head on.... just brazen it out and expect or hope fans fall into line. They shouldn’t worry so much about the ones who sing ‘your football is sh*t’ but the growing apathetic ones who quietly decide not to care any longer.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Sheffield Wednesday Fans views of MM
“Mick is a down to earth Barnsley lad who tells it exactly how it is, doesn’t suffer fools and doesn’t look for weird scapegoats”, “Reports have linked us with Mick McCarthy taking over for next season. I wouldn't mind that at all. He's a Yorkshire bloke and one thing he does know is the Championship.”

A recent Daily Mail story linking our manager with the Owls was picked up by their supporters. “He has had Ipswich around the top half for years with a squad budget less than what we paid for Jordan Rhodes”, “He did a great job to get them anywhere near the play-offs in previous seasons.”

“I like Mick. He's pretty good at picking out a player or two in the market as well. I have seen Ipswich quite a few times over the last few seasons and he has had the likes of Ainsley Maitland-Niles in on loan and blooded youngsters, notably Jason Dozzell's young lad.”

“The best thing he does is organise a defence behind a solid keeper and Bialkowski was a real find for them. There would be some murmurs of discontent but I'd absolutely love to see him here”, “His celebration of Ipswich's goal v Norwich last week is the best thing I've ever seen on a football pitch.”

“He has still not signed a new deal though he's said he's prepared to.”, “It would be a big mistake for Ipswich not to tie him down to a new deal, they won’t get anyone better. He has got a reasonable track record at this level but I’m not sure he plays the kind of football our fanbase would love.”

“Considering the amount of money Ipswich have spent during his time as manager they should be thankful that they aren't one of the clubs that have slipped into League One in recent seasons. They should be careful what they wish for.”