Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will Mick McCarthy still be here at the start of next season ?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 am

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 32

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:21 am

The question is short and simple, the answer isn’t necessarily what you want to happen, but what you expect to happen and the answer to the two questions may well be different.

K L Blue

Re: Will Mick be here at the start of next season - Yes or No ?

Post by K L Blue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm

in answer to both questions is..........................................

Do I expect him to be here next season = Yes
Do I want him to be here next season = depends on who we could get to replace him.

we need a manager who either get assurances that he'll be backed, or someone who knows how to get the best out of players either coming through or are cheap enough for us to buy.
I can't see the first, so it will have to be the second choice.
For me 2 phrases spring to mind..........................................
"Careful what you wish for"
And
"Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't"

Either way, I'll still be getting to as many games as i can, whoever is in charge.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Absolutely no idea at all. Read this forum most days and the general consensus is that no one really has a scooby on here either. Not even a hint of scooby. Any option picked (for me) would be a pure guess due to no insider Mevans 'n' Mick "golf course" chatter. So I could only really say what I'd prefer to happen, which is a fresh start with someone who's been looked at properly and isn't chosen on a "He got Limerick a 4th place finish, so let's see if he works here" attitude.

If he was turfed out (or leaves which is more likely) ----> because it's been at least three years of mediocrity, would one more year of possible "nothing" be too much of a gamble? I'd be more interested in a Tony Mowbray type appointment rather than some guy who won 25 games in a row with Nantwich Town.

And, KL....... same here. No matter how bleak it can get, always get to as many Cabbage & Ribs games as I can ------> it's bleak A LOT!

And Happy Birthday, Phily Bon Bon..... have a great day! :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Voted no for the reason that someone within the club structure has to realize McCarthy is the epitome of ineffective and the club is on a perpetual route of underachievement so long as the sorry-as* continues to be involved. Marcus Evans isn't the be all and end all of what occurs here, there will others who can make or influence decision, can only imagine someone with more sight and vision makes themselves recognized and takes decisive action.

Any and all talk of another two or three years contract extension leaves many with a sense of nausea, they're not wrong. For the last time, Yes there would be an element of risk appointing a new name, but what's the alternative ? Remain as we are, never realistically challenging or absolute zero chance of making impact in any cup competition. f*ck that, I'd take that chance, he's had five and half years and that play-off finish aside, we've at no time been likely to regain EPL status. Ideally I'd wish to see both owner and manager out of sight but realize it's not as straight forward as that. Taking the more feasible option of getting McCarthy out of the club, would however, present a very good start.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Charnwood wrote:The question is short and simple, the answer isn’t necessarily what you want to happen, but what you expect to happen and the answer to the two questions may well be different.
You should of asked who wants him here next season?

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:53 pm

I do believe that MMs people have very discreetly informed Barnsley that should an approach be made he would consider it very sincerely. Barnsley are in the drop zone and may not be able to wait to fill their post unless a compo package can be agreed with Town. One thing i am sure of however is that ME will not allow him to go until he has a firm replacement and im betting on ME seeking the guidance of Harry "wots in the big brown envelope" Redknapp......Gawd help us!!! :shock:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:33 pm

How "discreet" were they, LnP? Because now you've mentioned it on an open forum! :lol: It ain't discreet anymore!!

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 pm

marko69 wrote:How "discreet" were they, LnP? Because now you've mentioned it on an open forum! :lol: It ain't discreet anymore!!
I get your point......These people who wish to tell me things know that i will pass it open. I know that they use me to do so.cos some of them have no balls or are in employment with the club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Well that's actually superb news, LnP. Long may they continue to have no balls. I'm sure the majority of the forum want to hear little snippets of news like this.

Mick currently 7/4 2nd fave with most bookmakers. Paul Simpson @ 5/4.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 pm

Chimes with ME stating that there’s been no ‘formal approach’ received from Barnsley; but then saying that any connection is just ‘speculation’. That latter suggests to me that there might well have been some below the radar discussions - and that it remain a possibility, if all the ducks could be herded into place.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 pm

He won't be here next season. My reasoning is that ME will not have to pay him off and will take into account the drop in attendances. He is a successful businessman and has not obtained his fortune by sitting back without evolving.

MM & TC were given extensions when the club was doing well. I can not see ME rewarding failure.

As for a new manager, bring back Jim Magilton at least the fans were entertained and we played a good brand of football.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:48 pm

marko69 wrote:Well that's actually superb news, LnP. Long may they continue to have no balls. I'm sure the majority of the forum want to hear little snippets of news like this.

Mick currently 7/4 2nd fave with most bookmakers. Paul Simpson @ 5/4.
:shock: Eunuchs at our beloved club, :roll: is there a secret Harem in the Boardroom, tune in next week for who's screwing who at the club :o

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Ando wrote:He won't be here next season. My reasoning is that ME will not have to pay him off and will take into account the drop in attendances. He is a successful businessman and has not obtained his fortune by sitting back without evolving.

MM & TC were given extensions when the club was doing well. I can not see ME rewarding failure.

As for a new manager, bring back Jim Magilton at least the fans were entertained and we played a good brand of football.
Jim: He was a true legend, what midfield general, Cole Scuse aint fit to clean this mans boots, but I believe he's settled in Northern Ireland with organising the Irish under 23's now, and I cant see him budging from there, or bring back Joe Royale never ever abused the fans, Jim Never got a fair crack of the whip, a 14th and 8th finish then sacked in his third season, what does McCarthy get 5 and a half years only one play off finish, most games played are crap football, and still hangs onto his job, Beggars belief, should have gone last year. if he stays :shock: I can assure ME the fans will do a mass exoduses, season tickets will drop 50% again.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm

loudnproud wrote:I do believe that MMs people have very discreetly informed Barnsley that should an approach be made he would consider it very sincerely. Barnsley are in the drop zone and may not be able to wait to fill their post unless a compo package can be agreed with Town. One thing i am sure of however is that ME will not allow him to go until he has a firm replacement and im betting on ME seeking the guidance of Harry "wots in the big brown envelope" Redknapp......Gawd help us!!! :shock:
Dave: One thing with this possible Guidance from Arry, it would mean ME would defo have to open his wallet, as Arry spends big on players, so I think its a no no mate

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Yeah lets bring back a p*sshead bully who loved upsetting the kids as well as headbutting people

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 pm

IF change happens, we need to look forward - not back. According to that font of all bullsh*t, Ian (never blink first) Milne, ME’s very aware of the irreparable rift that’s opened up between some supporters and MM, and recognises the need to chose his successor with great care - in the interests of the club, the town and Suffolk etc. (Henry V sort of thing).

Getting any further advice from that failed Birmingham boss, Harry Rednapp, would be akin to seeking the Pope’s advice on best type of contraception!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 am

Do I want him to stay - absolutely not

Will he stay - yes he will

That is depressing.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:08 am

Ando wrote:He won't be here next season. My reasoning is that ME will not have to pay him off and will take into account the drop in attendances. He is a successful businessman and has not obtained his fortune by sitting back without evolving.

I had to read this 2 or 3 times to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Are you for real, Ando - do you really believe what you wrote?
I think your memory must be shot.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 am

Will he be here next season? Been saying for a while yes I think he will be.
Do I want him to stay? No I believe it is in the best interest of all parties if he went.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 am

Bluemike wrote:Yeah lets bring back a p*sshead bully who loved upsetting the kids as well as headbutting people
"M'Lawd, the defence wishes to put forth to the court, were the kids, and indeed, the people, being annoying?" :D

Of all the ex players, Magilton, Burley, Butcher, Mowbray, (whoever else).., I would take a gamble over Mick McCarthy witn Tony Mowbray.

But I think I'm on board slightly with the "ex manager" thinking. If it won't sit well with a large section of the support, then just ban all those ideas straight away.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Charnwood wrote:The question is short and simple, the answer isn’t necessarily what you want to happen, but what you expect to happen and the answer to the two questions may well be different.
You should of asked who wants him here next season?

I purposely didn’t ask the question you suggest Derek because we all know the answer to that. In this case what we expect and what we want could be very different, hence the wording of the question.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 am

I know we all have different opinions but whilst I accept Jim Magilton was a great Town player in my opinion he was a useless inexperienced manager who should never have been appointed and since leaving Town has never made it as a manager elsewhere. His success rate at Town was on a par with McCarthy with a win ratio of 37.84% compared with McCarthy’s 37.70% and I can’t think of any reason why we would want him back.

Also to keep it in perspective Magilton was given a nearly £12m budget to improve his squad v McCarthys £6m total spend over five seasons, furthermore McCarthy has sold three players (Cresswell, Mings & Murphy) for £20m making the club a transfer profit of £14.5m during his period of tenure.

Whilst the football is sh*te you can see why businessman Marcus Evans likes him.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:35 pm

As mentioned Magilton was a loyal club servant, don't have a bad word to say regards a standalone individual, but his time as manager was indifferent to say the least. Possibly more successful than Keane or Jewell (which in effect isn't really saying much) but we never looked likely to challenge and in retrospect hiring him again was an error.

One last mention for Derek McInnes, the SPL has it's share of detractors but seriously what he has achieved at Aberdeen deserves mighty credit. That's not to say he's an immediate option or even available any time soon but arguably the best managerial appointment there since Ferguson. It's a mystery why he hasn't been approached or brought in by a more illustrious club side.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
loudnproud wrote:I do believe that MMs people have very discreetly informed Barnsley that should an approach be made he would consider it very sincerely. Barnsley are in the drop zone and may not be able to wait to fill their post unless a compo package can be agreed with Town. One thing i am sure of however is that ME will not allow him to go until he has a firm replacement and im betting on ME seeking the guidance of Harry "wots in the big brown envelope" Redknapp......Gawd help us!!! :shock:
Dave: One thing with this possible Guidance from Arry, it would mean ME would defo have to open his wallet, as Arry spends big on players, so I think its a no no mate
ME knows this and your right its a no brainer,though i bet ME tried. Its the friendship he has got with Harry that i believe ME is seeking his guidence for........Not sure i trust it....

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 pm

rossi wrote:

I had to read this 2 or 3 times to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Are you for real, Ando - do you really believe what you wrote?
I think your memory must be shot.
My memory is shot ? That's rich coming from someone who can't remember if they read something 2 or 3 times only a few minutes earlier! :lol:

My suggestion regarding bringing Magilton back was tounge in cheek I will still believe we were better under Magilton than any manager since. We took the game to the opposition especially at home and played the ball through midfield via Garvan. (Rather watch my team play than the opposition)
Keane ripped the heart out of the club.
Jewel had no idea.
MM saved us from certain relegation. 1 great season that took us to the playoffs with probably the weakest squad he has had. But performances masked the brand of football (who cared at the time ? Not me). But since that season the club has slowly been in decline. He should have gone at the end of the following season. The Season was pretty much over by Feb. Let's not forget our FA cup exit to Portsmouth. Then our home form at the end of that season was dreadful 1-0 loss to Rotherham 0-0 with Charlton 3-1 loss to Brentford. All poor performances, not convinced it was that bad under Magilton.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Spot on about Keane Ando

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:06 am

After running just two days the opinions are as divided as Brexit with 10 respondents expecting him still to be here at the start of next season and 11 expecting him gone.

It will be interesting to see if this changes after the weekends result at Norwich.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:55 am

I think he will be gone, I just cannot for the life of me see this being allowed to carry on.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 am

Bluemike wrote:I think he will be gone, I just cannot for the life of me see this being allowed to carry on.
I thought the same last year then he was allowed to carry on. When it came to summer the club didn't even release a statement detailing what was happening which was weird considering all the uncertainty. I think they will give MM his 2 year extension, ME has already showed numerous times he doesn't care about the fans and nor does MM so we won't even come into consideration

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 am

If a decision isn’t taken until the end of the season much could depend on where Town finish in the table. Over the past 10 yrs Keane & Jewell we’re sacked with 15th, 13th & 15th finishes.
McCarthy has done much better with a miraculous 14th in his first season when we were heading for relegation, followed by 9th, 6th & 7th which showed progress and suggested it was only a matter of time before we gained promotion.
Last season was a setback for McCarthy when we dropped to 16th and had it not been for our tremendous start to this season based on current form we’d probably be fairing no better this season. As it stands at the moment we could still finish in the top ten, equally if current form continues we could drop to circa 16th. Herein could lie McCarthy’s future, a top 10 finish and he gets an extension, or circa 16th he doesnt. Maybe this is what Evans is waiting for ?