Budgies vs Us Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Make Sure you choose wisely!

Them
50%
Us
25%
Better than the 'Them' option
25%

Total votes: 8

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Budgies vs Us Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Again, unbelievable Jeff.

And again, spot on regarding time wasting tactics, Ricco. The modern game though.

Quasar????? Only "think" it...... never say it!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Hats off to those who travelled. No doubt it'll feel like a defeat. Save trips back.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Just channel flicked over to Columbo. I wonder if he would've worked that ending out.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Had a chqnce to go 2 -0 up just before but shot instead

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Second half was crying out for Celina. Mick went for the draw. Feck off MM

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm

TWTD seems unresponsive, due in fact to the activity at this moment in time no doubt. Some mention about McCarthy swearing at our fans after we took the lead, couldn't glean much else right now. Was there need for five minutes of added time ? The second period saw us not as dominant as the first but when that goal went in on '88 imagined it was enough. The wait goes on, obviously they will view it as a much better score than ourselves in the manner the eventual result occurred but those last five minutes saw euphoria and rage in quick succession. Wait 'til later to view game report from those who were there, can only apologize for those who traveled and were robbed of something special.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 pm

I suppose the added time was from all of the bookings that we had. Can't really gripe about that.

If are honest we won the first half and they won the second. So 1-1 seems fair but what a way to lose it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Well I've got to admit, don't like to get overly involved witn tactics and gameplans on here with people who actually witness Mick McCarthys management week in, week out, but the man is just one colossal shytebag, and no disrespect to any ITFC fans at all, but Mick McCarthy deserved that. Brings Hyam on in an away East Anglian Derby? That in itself is sackable. The the classic Jimmy Hill "lock up shop, lock up shop" with 13 minutes on the clock? Yes, Mick needs to get the fk out of Ipswich for the beginning of next season.

Domhide

Post by Domhide » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm

At least the commentator did not get to mention his 'man of the match' again! that cheating Maddison - fresh out of the Deli Ali school of divers.

Now i know why I don't waist my pension going to watch any more - its like watching your dog die because you cant afford the Vet's fees!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Certainly hope you are not speaking from experience, Domhide. The PDSA is available.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:27 pm

saint jude wrote:TWTD seems unresponsive, due in fact to the activity at this moment in time no doubt. Some mention about McCarthy swearing at our fans after we took the lead, couldn't glean much else right now. Was there need for five minutes of added time ? The second period saw us not as dominant as the first but when that goal went in on '88 imagined it was enough. The wait goes on, obviously they will view it as a much better score than ourselves in the manner the eventual result occurred but those last five minutes saw euphoria and rage in quick succession. Wait 'til later to view game report from those who were there, can only apologize for those who traveled and were robbed of something special.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 pm

TODD66 wrote:Mick showing a bit of passion there!!

Good use of the Anglo Saxon vernacular :lol:

THOSE ARM GESTURES AND SHOUTING f*ck OFF WERE CLEARLY AIMED AT THE IPSWICH FANS. JUST WHAT YOU WANT FROM YOUR sh*t MANAGER WHO AFTER ALL THESE YEARS STILL HAS NOT COACHED HIS TEAM TO SEE OUT A GAME. SO MM WHY DON'T YOU f*ck OFF AND DO US ALL A FAVOUR
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
saint jude wrote:TWTD seems unresponsive, due in fact to the activity at this moment in time no doubt. Some mention about McCarthy swearing at our fans after we took the lead, couldn't glean much else right now. Was there need for five minutes of added time ? The second period saw us not as dominant as the first but when that goal went in on '88 imagined it was enough. The wait goes on, obviously they will view it as a much better score than ourselves in the manner the eventual result occurred but those last five minutes saw euphoria and rage in quick succession. Wait 'til later to view game report from those who were there, can only apologize for those who traveled and were robbed of something special.
Yes he did swear. He said " feck off" . Well mick mccarthy back at ya

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:40 pm

No sympathy at all for you this time, Mick. Not only are your tactics that of a bottle merchant, your public display of, "being irritated" shall we say, is embarrassing. Get out of the club you complete arsehole.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Well i’ll stick my neck out and to say I don’t blame McCarthy today I think he pretty much got it right.

With Norwich in the ascendency in the second half I think it could have proved suicide to bring Celina on and concede territory in the battle in midfield.

I’ve just replayed the 5 mins added time and we were in complete control up to 94.30, we lost closing the game out at 0-1 because one of our defenders ( Webster I think) lost concentration and hesitated in closing down on Grant Hanley to stop him getting his cross in. Had he not hesitated and moved quicker to do his job Bart wouldn’t have need rush out to try and do the defenders job and would still have been in his 6yd box as a back stop. That was not McCarthys fault, neither was it his fault that Knusden screwed up at the other end from putting the game to bed.

Yes, I dislike McCarthy too, but let’s blame him where blame is due and focus more on his pratish behaviour like swearing at our travelling fans, that alone should be enough for the owner to want to see the back of him.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:05 pm

His subs smacked of a draw. He is to blame

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Individual errors ON the field are never the managers fault. Thats obvious. His blatantly obvious fear of losing took hold midway through the second half. Probably why his OTT celebration happened. "How the fk have WE scored?"

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:26 pm

marko69 wrote:Individual errors ON the field are never the managers fault. Thats obvious. His blatantly obvious fear of losing took hold midway through the second half. Probably why his OTT celebration happened. "How the fk have WE scored?"
Spot on marko

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Gutted, Absolutely gutted !!! What was it Three seconds from the end ? Such a heartbreaking way to have the win ripped from our grasp, and quite how we even had to play 95 minutes god only knows ? Having read a few of the comments on here and elsewhere my take on it is this.....

For me MM got it spot on today with most of what he did, at the start everyone was bemoaning his chosen line up, myself included, too defensive, playing for a point etc etc....But it wasn't the case was it because for Forty Five minutes we controlled most of the half and got it pretty much spot on, we were the only ones that had any effort of note at goal, Skuse & Gleeson had done a great job on Maddison who was singled out prior to kick off as having to be kept quiet, well guess what we did it, up front Garner was causing their considerably bigger defenders a lot of problems, the 3-5-2 was working well as Iorfa for me stood out and had a super game, Knudsen too got into a great position and really should have scored with the header early doors, the Three CB's were relatively comfortable, I could see little wrong with the first half at all as Norwich were pretty much awol.

We were always going to have to face a period where they had the upper hand and the second half was definitely theirs, that said how many bloody times did the ref help them out with p*ss poor decisions, Bart was busy making saves from freekicks which what for me were dodgy refereeing decisions. It appears the biggest gripe with many Town fans is the non appearance of celina, well I am sorry again I think MM was spot on, a tosser he may be but not everything he does is wrong, he did not do the substitutions in a neagitve way at all, he did what was required at the time, not sure if it was noticable on the TV but Iorfa had as MM said been cramping up, AylesburyBlue even mentioned it to me the first time it happened which was a while beofre the change was made so I guess most fans don't actually see that kind of thing, too busy moaning and singing anti MM songs when we are fighting to win a derby game, counter productive or what ? The Hyam change for Gleeson was one which was needed too as Gleeson was shot to sh*t and Maddison was becoming more and more influential, it would have been madness to take a CM off for an attacking winger, it would as Charnwood says have been suicide. If anything it was the Garner switch with Didsy that affected us the most as Garner had really been a nuisance and was an outlet with his hold up play, while Didsy was f**king static and contributed little if anything, that for me is where either Carayol or celina could maybe have come on.

The elation I felt when that Chambo header went in cannot be bought, it was pure ecstacy and then to have it ripped away was like a dagger to the heart but if we are going to point fingers let's not point them at MM for swearing, grow up FFS people, let's point them at Webster for stopping playing at the crucial time, 3 f**king seconds from full time and he swtiches off, all he had to do was launch it in to the stand and game over, or bart for coming up and then stopping and running back, was there a call from Bart to Webster of man on ? I don't think so. At the end of the day it was an error which is very costly, Webster was distraught at the end and needs no telling, but to blame MM when we were 3 seconds from victory is in my book childish and jumping on the bandwagon at every opportunity. We got it right today and while a draw was a fair result over the 95 minutes it feels like a defeat, it says it all that their fans were so happy with a draw while we were as low as a snakes belly. The most important thing for me was that I wanted a performance today, I wanted to see the boys in Blue show some commitment to the cause and they did this, if that is what mega millions has bought Norwich then f**king keep it cus on an even playing field next season we WILL have them. Did MM aim the f*ck off at the fans ? Well yes probabl;y but you know what that is exactly what I said to those who chose to sing a derogatory song at such a crucial time too, f**king idiots. Town fans love to dish the abuse out but are pussies at taking it as we know only too well from places like this but on this occasion I am with MM all the way, if you can't take it, keep it shut. Proud of the boys today. COYB'S

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:13 pm

I really keep out of this forum for its same ole same ole. Everything that goes wrong is MM fault

Look at yourselves. You say were holding out for a draw with 15 minutes to go but yet last five or so minutes at end of normal play we had our best spell in the game. Come on here watch the game, see the stats for final 15 minutes to rest of the second half. We played well for most parts, we kept them to shooting long range or free kicks. We taken the lead then for some reason few of the players lost their heads including possibly the best goalkeeper in the division. Why did the goalie go walk about? Why didn't we stop the cross coming over? Why didn't we mark their scorer better? Up until that point we looked fairly solid.

Guessing all those were MM fault. Its a shame we couldn't see the game out but that's not MM fault

For what its worth for me the guy with the purse strings should back the manager better, wanting to blame somebody then blame him as well

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:17 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:I really keep out of this forum for its same ole same ole. Everything that goes wrong is MM fault

Look at yourselves. You say were holding out for a draw with 15 minutes to go but yet last five or so minutes at end of normal play we had our best spell in the game. Come on here watch the game, see the stats for final 15 minutes to rest of the second half. We played well for most parts, we kept them to shooting long range or free kicks. We taken the lead then for some reason few of the players lost their heads including possibly the best goalkeeper in the division. Why did the goalie go walk about? Why didn't we stop the cross coming over? Why didn't we mark their scorer better? Up until that point we looked fairly solid.

Guessing all those were MM fault. Its a shame we couldn't see the game out but that's not MM fault

For what its worth for me the guy with the purse strings should back the manager better, wanting to blame somebody then blame him as well
Spot on !!!!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:36 pm

I think the tactics worked today especially first half. Second half they came into it. The thing for me that was predictable. They were always going to have a good part of the game and that comes from the way both teams set up. I'm not blaming MM for his tactics but it's a simple fact when you set up that way.

It's not MM fault that Webster did not go see the ball out, instead he just put his arm up claiming a goal kick. That's why we did not see the game out.

It feels like a defeat but that's football. Our time will come again, their money is running out, we will have them next season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 pm

For what it's worth, for me, nothing Norwich City done in that second half could be deemed as a shift into another gear. That's why I posted about "inviting pressure". But , we all see it differently and that's what makes it all worthwhile.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm

They switched to 2 up front which clearly improved their performance but us taking off a CM for Celina made no sense, he is a luxury player and at 1-0 with seconds to go I doubt any Town fan gave Celina a seconds thought.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm

marko69 wrote:For what it's worth, for me, nothing Norwich City done in that second half could be deemed as a shift into another gear. That's why I posted about "inviting pressure". But , we all see it differently and that's what makes it all worthwhile.
what pressure though? Freekicks and long range. After we scored we had another gilt edge chance, their goal was because of us and not because of them placing pressure on us.Few players until up to that point were playing well turned off. Is that MM's Fault?

Every bloody thing goes with at Ipswich Town shoot the manager yet he is playing a team costing peanuts. Lets go and get another manager, lets go and get inexperienced lad in and say away you go. There you are sir, 50 shirt buttons to go and get yourself a team to challenge for promotion.. Yer right think some should stop playing fifa and get back to the real world. Until ME either sells up or change of heart and place real money into team enhancing then go back to dream land

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 pm

With seconds to go, anyone giving Celina a thought would be an idiot. Around the time that they seemed to be having more of the game, there was still 20 minutes left on the clock and defensively I thought Ipswich dealt with it, especially Bart. (If not for him, 3-0 NCFC, no Chambo goal) ....., but it became overly defensive with that amount of time remaining. Who knows, Celina being introduced may have been catastrophic, but I feel a very unnecessary pressure was brought on midway through the 2nd half. I actually had to take a work call from about 50th -65th minute and when I returned, I thought, WTF has happened here?
"Where's first half Ipswich?" I said to the cat who clearly wasn't giving a fk, licking his arse on a chair.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
marko69 wrote:For what it's worth, for me, nothing Norwich City done in that second half could be deemed as a shift into another gear. That's why I posted about "inviting pressure". But , we all see it differently and that's what makes it all worthwhile.
what pressure though? Freekicks and long range. After we scored we had another gilt edge chance, their goal was because of us and not because of them placing pressure on us.Few players until up to that point were playing well turned off. Is that MM's Fault?

Every bloody thing goes with at Ipswich Town shoot the manager yet he is playing a team costing peanuts. Lets go and get another manager, lets go and get inexperienced lad in and say away you go. There you are sir, 50 shirt buttons to go and get yourself a team to challenge for promotion.. Yer right think some should stop playing fifa and get back to the real world. Until ME either sells up or change of heart and place real money into team enhancing then go back to dream land
I ain't talking about shots or free kicks, talking about possession of the ball. Maybe pressure was the wrong word. It was clearly a different mindset in the second half. Maybe someone else who regularly watches ITFC could maybe offer some form of comparisons to other games? There are 5000 members on this forum for f*ck sake. Let's hear some views.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Norwich upped their game though Marko but yet i felt we handled it fairly well. Yes Bart made good saves from free kicks. I cannot remember being troubled from open play.

The system i thought suited us, in fact i thought we upped the game when Luke came on. "If" Webster cleared, "If" Bart stayed at home in goal, "If" closed their crosser over and stopping the ball coming over, "If" marked their scorer better. Heck of a lot of ifs there but bottom line this was not MM's fault.

But go on shoot him and lets see where are soon. Fans at Charlton wanted Alan Curbishley out, Big Sam leaving Bolton. Could go on and on. Not everything that goes wrong is the managers fault

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:30 pm

marko69 wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

I ain't talking about shots or free kicks, talking about possession of the ball. Maybe pressure was the wrong word. It was clearly a different mindset in the second half. Maybe someone else who regularly watches ITFC could maybe offer some form of comparisons to other games? There are 5000 members on this forum for f*ck sake. Let's hear some views.
possession doesn't win games though, its where and how you use it. Leicester City won the premiership couple of years ago proved that. We should of dealt with that one occasion better fullstop
I'm a season ticket holder Marko, trust me i have seen far worse than display and also better

Back to hibernation now, not warm enough yet to poke my head out

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:34 pm

I thought the lineup was decent enough, the wingbacks worked well and nullified their formation. Given Iorfa is a woeful defender, its good to see him use his pace and height further up where he can do less harm.

But I'm with Marko, just because McCarthy has had little money doesn't mean he is immune to criticism, he has good players at his disposal. We will never know, so it's pointless arguing specifics, with different changes we may have won 3-0, we may have lost 3-0, but my problem is our tactics only ever go one direction regardless of the context or opposition, backwards in negative fashion. McCarthy's starting 11 did well, but it was clear he had no plan B, as his plan B is always just to stick more defensive players on and hang on.

Teams only need to put us under 5 minutes of pressure, and if it's the second half and we're not losing, we will just turtle up and sit back. The fact is we more than matched them in the first half, why not trust your team to do the same, outplay the opposition and win the game rather than just invite pressure. The best teams push other teams back when they are under pressure, otherwise the opposition are immune to stick 10 players forward and you get second halfs like today, which we see all too often. McGoldrick can't run or win the ball in the air, so why is he brought on and used as a counter attack option?

Anyway, I think that was typical of McCarthy, not unexpected, poor tactics, but not abhorrent. However I have to disagree with those who don't mind his swearing, it shows exactly where his mindset is and how untenable the situation is. Rather than celebrate with the 2500 elated fans, he choses to shove it down the throat of the 250 who might have been a tad too harsh on him. However I wasn't there and I don't know how our fans were behaving, but they seemed pretty positive from what I could hear and see.

On top of that and perhaps far more worrying again, is Evan's acceptance of McCarthy's stance, he clearly hasn't asked McCarthy to tone things down, he doesn't care and this club is going to shrink and shrivel until he is gone.