Budgies vs Us Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Make Sure you choose wisely!

Them
50%
Us
25%
Better than the 'Them' option
25%

Total votes: 8

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Budgies vs Us Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:37 pm

It's a known fact he's fielding a team costing peanuts. Today he's playing a team costing several million and making them look very inferior, on their own patch, first half. It changed. You guys can compare to other games. I compare it to Pat Fenlon at Hibs. Switching to being a tad too defensive with too much time left. The positive is they were defensively very good. Just feel that earlier in the game, with first half form, a Celina addition may have created several open play chances for ITFC. Who knows though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Maybe we didnt have a plan B but plan A had us 1-0 after 94.57 so didn't really need a plan B

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:Maybe we didnt have a plan B but plan A had us 1-0 after 95.57 so didn't really need a plan B
And incorporated into Plan A is Bart having a few bowls of porridge before kick off? Ok, MM the fk out! :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 pm

I would play the same defensive team Wednesday but my wing backs would be Celina & Carayol. And have a right go. The 3 at the back and the 3 centre mid looked solid to my surprise.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:Maybe we didnt have a plan B but plan A had us 1-0 after 94.57 so didn't really need a plan B
No, Plan A gave us a good 45 followed by 44 poor minutes and a lucky goal and then we were a touch unfortunate ourselves, but nothing less than we deserved.

Good teams make positive changes and adapt / try something new, we just shut up shop without fail, today it almost worked, but even a broken clock is right twice a day, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 pm

A lucky goal ? Ok. I suppose theirs was world class

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:A lucky goal ? Ok. I suppose theirs was world class
It was luck in the context that we hadn't had a sniff all half, not the goal itself, we did not deserve it. Although you can say Spence was very lucky not to be seen pulling his man over.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 pm

FFS what was lucky about Chambers goal, it was hardly a deflection or a scabby header !
His meeting with the ball came from a set piece, was so deliberate and headed with so much desire it couldn’t be more deserved. How it can be described as lucky leaves me almost speechless. Try telling Luke Chambers it was lucky.

I tell you what when I get a few mins tomorrow i’ll Look at it again and apologise if I saw it wrong.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 pm

I've just explained myself.

I'm not calling the goal lucky, the fact is we did not control the half and forge good chances for ourselves, we had one chance and managed to score, when something is not deserved, then luck is involved.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Neither did they apart from Two freekicks which were dubious decisions anyway, we then gave them a goal through an error so it could be argued they didnt create anything either.

Anyway im really not in the mood to argue how great they were while everything about us was wrong. I know what I saw.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Ricco, I’d not seen your 8.07 post with your explanation as I’m watching tv at the same time as following discussion on here. Having read the explanation I still don’t accept that a goal against the run of play has to be lucky. That goal couldn’t have been more deliberate.

Using your analogy, I assume the fact they hadn’t had a sniff at goal at any time in added time, there’s was lucky too ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Mike. I've just read the past two pages. No one has said Norwich were great. That's actually the point. They weren't.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:44 pm

I thought apart from James Maddison Norwich were quite ordinary today. If Maddison who is only 21 can continue to develop there is little doubt he will move on from Norwich and play at a higher level. How much better we could be with his desire and creativity. I thought Cole Skuse had him well under control in the first half but in the second he was in a different class.

On reflection a draw was probably a better result than we’re giving the team credit for, but I guess that’s a reflection of our bitter disappointment not to have come away with three points which were there for the taking but for one moment of lack of concentration.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Reading this forum, choices laugh or cry. Honestly some of you are so anti MM you don't now take in the game.

Talked to my father a Norwich City season holder, so are five others of my family they are all moaning that Ipswich were more physical and showed desire. Not a lot right in the Norwich camp but i don't care about them. What i witnessed was players wearing Blue whole heartily played for the club, the manager and us the fans. Few seconds of turning off doesn't make us lucky or whatever. If we had got the three points would it still be plan A, plan B or even plan C. Truth is the system was working fine until 95th minute..

Good luck Mike with all this clap trap, Football is about opinions i always thought. Seems fine on here as long as your opinions are Mick Out and we are all crap

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:Using your analogy, I assume the fact they hadn’t had a sniff at goal at any time in added time, there’s was lucky too ?
Yes, if you go back and read my posts I say that their goal was a touch fortunate too, it was clear emotions were high and that affects a teams ability to defend, we defended poorly and they scored, so yes, they were a bit fortunate too.

I don't think it's so wrong for me to suggest that we were by a very long way the second best team in the second half, if a team is second best for that long they can count themselves lucky not to concede, so they can definitely count themselves lucky to be leading. All I'm saying is I didn't like the tactics and I felt making positive changes may have stemmed the one way traffic, we've seen the same negative tactics in second halfs for years with McCarthy, I'm just declaring myself not a fan of it, I'm not screaming to sack the bloke and claiming he is the worst manager of all time, just that that part of him frustrates me greatly.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 pm

To be honest S & J , it seems it's you and maybe Bluemike who's going to need the new keyboard tomorrow. What's the problem? Has anyone on here asked you to change your opinion to Mick out? Your opinion is being aired, so are others. You are the one seeming to get angry. Again, what's the issue?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Ricco wrote:
Charnwood wrote:Using your analogy, I assume the fact they hadn’t had a sniff at goal at any time in added time, there’s was lucky too ?
Yes, if you go back and read my posts I say that their goal was a touch fortunate too, it was clear emotions were high and that affects a teams ability to defend, we defended poorly and they scored, so yes, they were a bit fortunate too.

I don't think it's so wrong for me to suggest that we were by a very long way the second best team in the second half, if a team is second best for that long they can count themselves lucky not to concede, so they can definitely count themselves lucky to be leading. All I'm saying is I didn't like the tactics and I felt making positive changes may have stemmed the one way traffic, we've seen the same negative tactics in second halfs for years with McCarthy, I'm just declaring myself not a fan of it, I'm not screaming to sack the bloke and claiming he is the worst manager of all time, just that that part of him frustrates me greatly.

Nor did they until we turned off

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:57 pm

marko69 wrote:To be honest S & J , it seems it's you and maybe Bluemike who's going to need the new keyboard tomorrow. What's the problem? Has anyone on here asked you to change your opinion to Mick out? Your opinion is being aired, so are others. You are the one seeming to get angry. Again, what's the issue?

Main issues is this forum seems so obsessed with Mick out. Its an Ipswich Town forum not a Mick McCarthy out

Any other time people would of been praising the team not just bemoaning. Am as angry and upset as any fan not winning that game but that's football.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:57 pm

I haven't even called for McCarthy to go, I've criticised one area of his management and I'm having to defend myself as if I'm some negative anti-McCarthy monstrosity.

I've never booed or shouted at a manager in my life and can't imagine I ever will, I've actually been far more supportive of him than the average supporter on here, I'm simply saying I don't like his negative second half tactics, hardly the devil incarnate.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Personally I saw a lot of positives today and think if we can put that sort of shift in for the rest of the season we could do better than many expect.

Given that we were playing an in form side on their own patch it was almost a given that we would come under pressure at some time throughout the game but in truth they were no better over 90 minutes than we were.

I think we should all sleep on it, cos tomorrow we may realise that in truth we played pretty well today and as far as i’m concerned the team performance exceeded my expectations.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
marko69 wrote:To be honest S & J , it seems it's you and maybe Bluemike who's going to need the new keyboard tomorrow. What's the problem? Has anyone on here asked you to change your opinion to Mick out? Your opinion is being aired, so are others. You are the one seeming to get angry. Again, what's the issue?

Main issues is this forum seems so obsessed with Mick out. Its an Ipswich Town forum not a Mick McCarthy out

Any other time people would of been praising the team not just bemoaning. Am as angry and upset as any fan not winning that game but that's football.
Fair point, but in your other post you've gone on about plans A, B, C being essentially meaningless had ITFC won etc, but it's such a game of fine margins that had it ended 1-0 City, this entire conversation would've been about Mick McCarthy and not ITFC.

ITFC, imo, could've won today.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 pm

For what it's worth, I thought we were great in the first half and McCarthy needs credit for the way the team lined up. Although I didn't like our players constantly throwing themselves to the floor like school girls.

But that's what makes the second half all the more disappointing I guess. Some people are concentrating on that and their goal and other are concentrating on the good first half performance and our goal.

It's all pretty raw and cruel for us all, not least those that made the journey, so we're all going to be a bit ratty this evening.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Marko, im not banging my keyboard at all, I was pretty happy with much of today, it was others screaming f*ck of MM etc earlier in the thread and after today I dont think it was relevant, my assessment of the match was one of if not the most positive, S&J is 100% correct in that some are so obsessed with Mick leaving they don't actually take in the game at all, the same ones I see at 46 games pissing around on their phones and then knowing it all at the final whistle. And Ricco at no time have I ever felt you are anything other than a level headed fan so no negativity from me towards you, its not a problem having differing views sometimes.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 pm

Seeing things differently is what makes a forum like this interesting so long as we respect one another’s opinion even when it differs from our own.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 am

Some hours now after the event and while of a more calm demeanor, the disappointment that the team were so near to victory and had it ultimately stolen away when it occurred is still prevalent. The first half was a surprise, playing well at their venue and being the better team - however second period they came back into it, and despite both teams scoring when they did, a point each seems arguably a fair score. Play like we did in the first forty-five and eradicate these damn late defensive incidents (and) the season would still have something to offer.

Bialkowski again deserves praise for making some pivotal stops throughout the game and Garner in particular appeared to go down too easily at times but the pity is Norwich themselves seemed very ordinary on occasion and we could ideally have made the breakthrough long before it occurred. Took in a post-game video of McCarthy providing an interview but the audio was so poor that decided against inclusion on the pages. Man seems to mumble his words and unless you strain to hear it's (invariably) hard to take in what is actually being said.

Without shame gave Talk Norwich City a go also as only to ascertain some of what was being said by opposing fans. Some were honest enough to admit we gave it a go and were dreadfully unfortunate to leave without victory - other views were not so benevolent and the obligatory "still unable to beat us etc" seemed in abundance. One of the pick of the bunch hopefully is evident in the below.

Worth taking note one kid indeed mentions if correct (not verbatim) "Don't care about the play-offs now, that additional time goal (against us, denying the victory) is just as satisfactory" Perhaps just a verbal error so soon after the game, hard to comprehend even they could be that freakin' dumb.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:49 am

That's the early morning coffee ruined, Saint. Why on Earth would you post that ^^^^ video on this site? Was that the three most annoying c**ts in Norwich speaking? If I posted Jambos talking like that on a Hibs forum, I'd be labelled a trolling Jambo bstd. Jaysus H dude, do the right thing and edit that sh*t the fk off the forum.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:00 am

HEY......., TANGFASTIC???? I see your name logged on. Good to see you, buddy. Were you at the game yesterday? Any views?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 am

marko69 wrote:HEY......., TANGFASTIC???? I see your name logged on. Good to see you, buddy. Were you at the game yesterday? Any views?

Unlikely he was at the match cos he was logged on here during the game. Has he stopped posting ?..... thinking about it i’ve not seen him for a while. Maybe you or Bluemike have upset him ?..... at least he’s not lost if he still keeps logging on. Can’t believe he has nothing to say about yesterday ?

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 am

I didn't post yesterday as I wanted to give myself some time to reflect and think about things. I was fuming/gutted after the match, but not necessarily with the performance.

I felt the match itself wasn't too bad, I thought we gave it a good go in the first half and had control of much of the half. Neither team were carving each other open but we were holding our own in the middle. Knudsen could have done better with a header and we had a couple of longer range efforts, but what pleased me most was the passion and desire we were playing with, not shirking from tackles and I felt we were giving 100%, there have been times this season when I haven't felt this. Going into HT I was happy but felt Norwich couldn't be as bad second half so would we regret not getting a goal in that first period. When the second half got up and running I felt Norwich had the better of possession and possibly controlled the match however they were not creating anything, their final ball was pretty woeful at times. Maddision was starting to impose himself but I didn't feel too nervy as to me it was a close match, not a lot in terms of any chances being made. I know many people on here do like him, but I thought Carter-Vickers was pretty crap yesterday. If you actually watch him in insolation he gets turned all the time, he has absolutely no pace and he gets too tight to his man. Just watch it back on Sky and you will see he got done 4 or 5 times, I expect better to be honest from a player of his calibre. To me he looks too heavy, if he lost a stone he may be a bit more mobile, he didn't cost us the 3 points but just an observation as I have felt this the last 2 or 3 games in which ive seen him. When Chambers popped up with a goal in the 88th min it was fantastic and the celebrations were wild, what a feeling. I honestly did not see Norwich getting anything back, they hadn't created anything of note. The goal which we conceded was very poor, just a catalogue of errors, people say it started with Knudsen not going to the corner, I felt we should have gone 2-0 up, it was just a crap ball in, I don't believe he should have gone for the corner, but he should have set up another goal! To concede in the way we did was gut wrenching and it felt like a defeat. But in terms of the game itself I wont grumble too much, I felt our players put in a performance worthy of some credit even if we were not looking that dangerous in their half, Mick also got his tactics pretty much right. I know some think it wasn't a game for Celina, in many ways I agree, but when he brought on McGoldrick I think I would have put Celina up top instead, I just feel that would allow him to only focus on trying to score and not having to track back and he is a character that might thrive I a derby match, all ifs and buts but I don't believe MM's subs was the reason we didn't win that.

Now for the bit about Mick McCarthy, immediately after the match talk starting circulating about what he had allegedly said to the travelling fans, then I saw the footage and to me its clear its intended for us. My first reaction was one of disbelief and anger, ive slept on it and today I think well I do understand his reaction but it doesn't make it right. Im sorry but as a manager you just cannot do this. Do I agree with the fans chanting during the match and booing, no I don't, I think that was stupid. But Mick cannot and should not react in the way he did, its unprofessional and out of order. There are many town fans who did not sing and chant against him yet his reaction is a sign to all the travelling fans. He cannot stay on after this, where does all this stop? I will agree with anyone that he has done a decent job in the main but I don't think you can let this circus carry on. For me the only way out of it is to change manager. IF he really is going to stay then I think there needs to be "clear the air" honest talks between him, the club and the supporters. How you do this I have no idea but we have to be as one. The disappointing thing is I think the players get caught up in it too and MM may unintentionally be making it a them v us thing which kind of alienates the players from the fans as well.

I am really trying to be measured here, am I sure someone will come in and do better? no im honestly not but I just want everyone to be together again, its the only way a club like us is going to be successful. If we did win 1-0 I still believe this outrage would have happened, and im sure MM may have been a bit more outspoken in his post match interview. My view is that after fans have suffered performances such as Burton last week a good passionate performance against the scum was the least we deserved...

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 am

Great to see some old timer folks re emerging on the site.....My main gripe about yesterdays game and i was right beside Mike who i may add seen it as i seen it. I just dont understand why MM chooses not to play Celina........In all the games. Is he better than what we have already got? We have him on a season loan from Man City FFS....Why are we not using him? Is he a game changer? Is he a player that when on the ball fans are out of their seats? This is what the fans cant understand with MM...