Budgies vs Us Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Make Sure you choose wisely!

Them
50%
Us
25%
Better than the 'Them' option
25%

Total votes: 8

Mach_Polish_Blue

Re: Budgies vs Us Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Decided to stay away from the social media yesterday as my emotions were very high. Still very difficult to get over the last minute of the game.

Very angry at Mick McCarthy .... yes at him despite some saying he isn't at fault. 

Who did we play yesterday? A top 2 team? A the team who has accumulated more points than us? Are they far ahead of us in the table? No that was the midtable Norwich team yet our opening line-up contained 8 defensively minded players. That's because he was dead scared of MESSIson.........oooops sorry I should say Maddison. People claim we were better in the first half so McCarthy got it right. Imagine what we could do with an extra creative player instead one of the army of 'defenders'. Imagine what we could do with deliveries of Celina (possibility of Ward or Carayol doing likewise) towards Garner. The latter was a bright point in the first half, a constant nuisance for their defence. 

Second half? Desperate defence. Bart kept us in the game. Maddison stand-out player despite the army of DCM's around him. Literally nothing from us in terms of going forward. And then he replaces Gleeson with Hyam. Did the latter touch the ball afterwards? 

Celina not getting an action yesterday was a comedy.

My neighbours must have heard me when Chambers scored. I went wild.

That equaliser. Of course it isn't McCarthy's fault. Webster is a main culprit but Knudsen shares the blame for that. If Knudsen was unable to kill the game off why didn't he go into the corner and do the timewasting?

McCarthy and his swearing towards us. He's been making countless digs at our fanbase so a 'little bit' from us and is it us who are bad people? We're probably the most lenient fanbase in the country, very timid and docile one who largely are too scared to voice their feelings, who would rather continue with Evans for another 10 years as they are dead scared of changes so he is lucky to have that kind of fanbase. The different one would have given him a harder time.
Some people defend him for what he did. If it had been Roy Keane a few years ago doing things like that then those who defend McCarthy would have had a meltdown. Yes you would and you know it. In fact McCarthy makes Keane an angel.

Norwich? Maddison aside bang average side and they are where they are in the table for merit. Yet McCarthy treated them as if they still were one of the top sides in the league. Celina not playing is beyond ridiculous. Norwich play runaway leaders Wolves on Wednesday night. Wonder if Daniel Farke will leave Maddison on the bench and play with back five + 3 DCM's. 

I'm still feeling gobsmacked after yesterday but that is what you get at times. The 'beauty' of being a football fan.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Ultimately it came down to numbers: 5 - mins of extra time, and 7 - seconds away. And within those numbers our inability, or naïveté, in not being able to manage a game out. Similar to the Shef Wed home match. Based upon what happened over 90 mins, in purely footballing terms, a draw was about right.

Everything that’s followed - opinions fuelled by high-emotion and deep passion - will of course calm down. But the longer term impact of the ME/MM partnership is becoming increasingly toxic, and the relationship with supporters further damaged - for many, probably fatally.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:41 pm

also as a side note did anyone else know our TV record. We have now won 2 out of our last 22 games that's been shown on television. That is pretty pathetic although is hardly the biggest issue we currently face

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:10 pm

marko69 wrote:HEY......., TANGFASTIC???? I see your name logged on. Good to see you, buddy. Were you at the game yesterday? Any views?
Hi Marko, I tend to log in now and again. Actually I noticed this morning Blue Mike had PM’ed me on Saturday and was going to reply today.

Thoughts on yesterday .... have to say I feel a twinge of sympathy for Mick. If someone loses it in the heat of the moment, then I’ll be forgiving. Can’t help but think he’s brought it on himself though in the past... so many interviews where the dust has settled whereby he’s having meaningless digs at the fans. He was a few seconds away from giving the proverbial two fingers back to his doubters.... and then the equaliser. If that is not a sign from the football gods to Mick then ....

And that’s the crux of it.... even the local derby revolves around Mick McCarthy. Every single topic seems to be about him. I’m sick of him.
Mind you, MM got the team fired up for 45 mins and can’t argue with the first half. We can’t keep possession or put many moves together, but when fired up we can derail other teams. We rattled them, but when Norwich settled down they looked more composed than us. Got the impression Norwich worked us out at half time.... or maybe we ran out of puff after the break. It would be great if we have another side to our game rather than negating the opposition. The high tempo pressing and closing down worked well for 45 mins, but teams tend to work around that eventually and you can’t keep up the intensity for 90 mins ( or 95 mins ).

Can’t believe we couldn’t see that game out for 30 seconds. They had the ball in their half and the only option for them was a speculative long ball... and even when the ball went loose I couldn’t believe the time the Norwich player had to deliver the ball on their right. Bart didn’t do himself any favours back peddling to his goal, but I thought Webster and a covering defender( or lack of one) were to blame leading up to the goal.

Time for Mick and ME to face the fact the McCarthy era is over. The Foxtrot Oscar-gate incident should be the last straw.... the swearing doesn’t bother me, but the reaction from the fans says it all.... and a manager should be concentrating on building a team rather than games of one-upmanship with his own fans. Make a statement now that Mick will leave at the end of the season and it could be we can start planning and have some optimism for next season, rather than toxic and embarrassing internal squabbling and name-calling.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 pm

tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:HEY......., TANGFASTIC???? I see your name logged on. Good to see you, buddy. Were you at the game yesterday? Any views?
Hi Marko, I tend to log in now and again. Actually I noticed this morning Blue Mike had PM’ed me on Saturday and was going to reply today.

Thoughts on yesterday .... have to say I feel a twinge of sympathy for Mick. If someone loses it in the heat of the moment, then I’ll be forgiving. Can’t help but think he’s brought it on himself though in the past... so many interviews where the dust has settled whereby he’s having meaningless digs at the fans. He was a few seconds away from giving the proverbial two fingers back to his doubters.... and then the equaliser. If that is not a sign from the football gods to Mick then ....

And that’s the crux of it.... even the local derby revolves around Mick McCarthy. Every single topic seems to be about him. I’m sick of him.
Mind you, MM got the team fired up for 45 mins and can’t argue with the first half. We can’t keep possession or put many moves together, but when fired up we can derail other teams. We rattled them, but when Norwich settled down they looked more composed than us. Got the impression Norwich worked us out at half time.... or maybe we ran out of puff after the break. It would be great if we have another side to our game rather than negating the opposition. The high tempo pressing and closing down worked well for 45 mins, but teams tend to work around that eventually and you can’t keep up the intensity for 90 mins ( or 95 mins ).

Can’t believe we couldn’t see that game out for 30 seconds. They had the ball in their half and the only option for them was a speculative long ball... and even when the ball went loose I couldn’t believe the time the Norwich player had to deliver the ball on their right. Bart didn’t do himself any favours back peddling to his goal, but I thought Webster and a covering defender( or lack of one) were to blame leading up to the goal.

Time for Mick and ME to face the fact the McCarthy era is over. The Foxtrot Oscar-gate incident should be the last straw.... the swearing doesn’t bother me, but the reaction from the fans says it all.... and a manager should be concentrating on building a team rather than games of one-upmanship with his own fans. Make a statement now that Mick will leave at the end of the season and it could be we can start planning and have some optimism for next season, rather than toxic and embarrassing internal squabbling and name-calling.

Good post, do you know what I honestly think if they announced he would be leaving at the end of this season on the last home game MM would actually get a warm round of applause as a goodbye. Im sure you will get some idiots who have nothing better to do than boo etc. But the majority of fans appreciate what he has done for the club in his time here but almost all would agree its all gone stale and whether you feel he is the best man for the job or not I think most agree the only way forward as a club is something fresh and new, unless we do that this one-upmanship will continue. A lot of fans are getting frustrated because they feel nothing will change, they have tried booing, singing how they don't like whats going on but nobody listens or at worst even acknowledges it. This has happened for 18 months now and so that level of anger keeps going. I think people are fed up of more than just Mick but hes the guy fronting it. If he had of outed ME a bit more and shared the fans frustrations I think he would have a much better relationship with the supporters.

I for one would be thanking him for his efforts, and I hope most others would too. But I absolutely agree if they said he was going at the end of the season all this childish stuff would stop, we could then just get behind the team and everyone will know something new is coming. Cant see this happening though, would they allow Mick to carry on knowing that he will be off in a few months, id have no problem with this but I cant see it happening that way

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Manager has made a public announcement to apologize for his words at yesterday's game. General consensus among the fanbase appears McCarthy is being insincere and attempting to hide his own errors. In other words the f*ck Off incident was aimed at the supporters (in reaction to the levels of castigation towards him) when Chambers scored, other than a reaction of other kind. Apology seems good enough, got caught in the heat of the moment and reacted to a growing pressure of abuse his way. Some insist an apology doesn't make it right and continue to vehemently argue his departure.

Foul language from a manager isn't unique but if what McCarthy insists is true, seems strange to leap up and mouth obscenities after we had taken the lead at such a pivotal time in such a pivotal game. Could understand when City got their goal to tie it (sure as hell uttered one of two colorful words this end) but when we go ahead ? Seems a bit of a mystery.

This will soon blow over, a movie of the week and not much else, what's done is done and now need to focus on the game in midweek and hopefully build on what we so nearly achieved yesterday. Still believe McCarthy is in his last season at the club, and for whatever was evident before, could at least redeem himself to some extent by taking the club back to the top six. In reality I feel it's unlikely to occur, but without hope what is there.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 pm

He has no decency at all. He wouldn't apologise to anyone. Somebody else must have told him to do so.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:20 pm

tangfastic wrote:

Hiya Tang, great to see you back posting, hopefully you'll stick around. I just wanted to comment on the piece ive highlighted, you are correct in what you say but for me it is the Media and the Fans that make everything about MM, you only have to look on TWTD to see it, you can have a thread about how good the kids are that are coming through or something and the very first post will be how MM will ruin them and won't play them blah blah blah, there is seldom anything positive from Town fans these days even when there is great opportunity to do so. We all know he needs to go but not everything he says or does is wrong, he doesn't suddenly become a manager who gets nothing right although us fans paint it that way. As I have said elsewhere I think he got virtually everything right Sunday and could not be blamed for Knudsen, Webster and Bart all f**king up to throw the win away. His game plan, tactics and selected line up had worked, it's as simple as that. As for the swearing I know he can't be doing it in his position but on this occasion I really do get it, I mean I was there and when they started singing "MM your football is sh*t" while we are trying to win the game had me also saying "FFS really ? Shut the f*ck up" People don't like hearing it but the fans make it worse and have done for a long time.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:42 pm

charlton837 wrote:also as a side note did anyone else know our TV record. We have now won 2 out of our last 22 games that's been shown on television. That is pretty pathetic although is hardly the biggest issue we currently face
Did we not throw a lead away in the 95th min against Sheffield Wednesday the last time we were on TV? We would have another 4 points and be 4 points off the play offs. Are well maybe next season. :cry:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:49 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
charlton837 wrote:also as a side note did anyone else know our TV record. We have now won 2 out of our last 22 games that's been shown on television. That is pretty pathetic although is hardly the biggest issue we currently face
Did we not throw a lead away in the 95th min against Sheffield Wednesday the last time we were on TV? We would have another 4 points and be 4 points off the play offs. Are well maybe next season. :cry:
Yes fantastic Freddie Sears.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:08 pm

tangfastic wrote:

Its ok, i PM'ed Mike yesterday and still no reply :roll:

I do agree totally agree that everything seems to be around Mick McCarthy. Gets boring actually

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm

A bit like this site - everything’s about Bluemike! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 pm

?? Mate trust me I can quite easily f*ck off, it would be a relief. I dont ask people to keep going on about me, I know how Mick feels !!!

And S&J i do apologise that i havent replied yet, I will do mate

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:?? Mate trust me I can quite easily f*ck off, it would be a relief. I dont ask people to keep going on about me, I know how Mick feels !!!

And S&J i do apologise that i havent replied yet, I will do mate
Strong personalities, with passionate views, totally committed to what they believe in. Brilliant is actually what I meant! :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:Decided to stay away from the social media yesterday as my emotions were very high. Still very difficult to get over the last minute of the game.

Very angry at Mick McCarthy .... yes at him despite some saying he isn't at fault. 

Who did we play yesterday? A top 2 team? A the team who has accumulated more points than us? Are they far ahead of us in the table? No that was the midtable Norwich team yet our opening line-up contained 8 defensively minded players. That's because he was dead scared of MESSIson.........oooops sorry I should say Maddison. People claim we were better in the first half so McCarthy got it right. Imagine what we could do with an extra creative player instead one of the army of 'defenders'. Imagine what we could do with deliveries of Celina (possibility of Ward or Carayol doing likewise) towards Garner. The latter was a bright point in the first half, a constant nuisance for their defence. 

Second half? Desperate defence. Bart kept us in the game. Maddison stand-out player despite the army of DCM's around him. Literally nothing from us in terms of going forward. And then he replaces Gleeson with Hyam. Did the latter touch the ball afterwards? 

Celina not getting an action yesterday was a comedy.

My neighbours must have heard me when Chambers scored. I went wild.

That equaliser. Of course it isn't McCarthy's fault. Webster is a main culprit but Knudsen shares the blame for that. If Knudsen was unable to kill the game off why didn't he go into the corner and do the timewasting?

McCarthy and his swearing towards us. He's been making countless digs at our fanbase so a 'little bit' from us and is it us who are bad people? We're probably the most lenient fanbase in the country, very timid and docile one who largely are too scared to voice their feelings, who would rather continue with Evans for another 10 years as they are dead scared of changes so he is lucky to have that kind of fanbase. The different one would have given him a harder time.
Some people defend him for what he did. If it had been Roy Keane a few years ago doing things like that then those who defend McCarthy would have had a meltdown. Yes you would and you know it. In fact McCarthy makes Keane an angel.

Norwich? Maddison aside bang average side and they are where they are in the table for merit. Yet McCarthy treated them as if they still were one of the top sides in the league. Celina not playing is beyond ridiculous. Norwich play runaway leaders Wolves on Wednesday night. Wonder if Daniel Farke will leave Maddison on the bench and play with back five + 3 DCM's. 

I'm still feeling gobsmacked after yesterday but that is what you get at times. The 'beauty' of being a football fan.
And this is why I love the sport. Sometimes I watch replays of certain parts of the game and think, "am I missing something whilst watching this?"....,, then a post is written describing exactly how I saw the game. Cheers for that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 am

tangfastic wrote:

Foxtrot -Oscar gate! :lol: Very good.

Great post and equally great to see you posting again , man. :D

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 pm

I guess from our point of view their goal came from a mistake. I wonder from their point of view our goal came from. Someone has to make a mistake for the opportunity to arise.