Extract from Norwich comments on TWTD preview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

charlton837

Extract from Norwich comments on TWTD preview

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:37 pm

“There are a few decent realists on their forum who realise even a win against us next week, the first for nine years, would only lift the perennial fog of gloom above Portman Road for maybe 24 hours such is the long, slow, creep of tiring boredom and downwardness that pervades the entire club.

“Five years of Mick McCarthy doesn’t help either. While the guy I guess has done well enough on the meagre rations given to him, his five years are a mirror of Town's 16 in the Championship, safe, solid, stable, solidified, stale and stagnant.

“It’s the worst kind of stagnation to, a season by season never ending, very slow stagnation, no wonder so many of their fans are up for any kind of change. Some on here bemoan Delia but just try Marcus Evans’s approach down the road and it won’t take long to come running back here.

“I bet most Town fans look at the huge overhaul and change we have had in the last nine months and think why can’t they have any change? Just try something different, but no. I guess that’s why only 13k folks in Suffolk don’t yet watch paint dry to get more excitement on a Saturday afternoon.”

Personally id say the above is fairly true! Even if it does come from the inbreds....

Realised I could have added this to the match preview thread, sorry for creating a new un-needed post!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Extract from Norwich comments on TWTD preview

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:02 pm

If only it wasn’t true. :cry:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Fair assessment there. Victory over them at the weekend would represent a fine score but essentially the bigger picture is far more concerning. Delia Smith is rightly or wrongly a figure of ridicule, but at least an individual who possesses a tangible interest in the prosperity of their club and is involved to a considerable extent, unlike the reclusive hideaway owner we have endured for over a decade, who invariably is nowhere to be seen in time of need and seems almost apathetic the path we have taken since obtaining ownership.

Hard not to envy them in a sense, while we ourselves have wasted 15 years in the second tier, at least the other have witnessed promotions, time in the EPL and at a far better overall time of it. Not to mention Carrow Road sees considerable attendance for each home game and the fans remain loyal. The honors lists and previous achievements invariably comes to the fore, but of little use in recent time where both clubs have seen such vast difference in performance. Not to give them plaudits, but truth be told they've endured something in the aforementioned time that most fans here can only envy.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Envy? No. You've taken that a tad too far. Yes, they've had a few promotions, relegation, more "excitement" maybe....... but to an envious level? Nope.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:05 pm

marko69 wrote:Envy? No. You've taken that a tad too far. Yes, they've had a few promotions, relegation, more "excitement" maybe....... but to an envious level? Nope.
in recent history I would have to say I do have a bit of envy, but overall of course not, Ipswich are and always will be a more successful club in terms of history.

I think you have to ask what you want from football, things I enjoy most are watching good matches, seeing some nice football played, goals, visiting new away grounds and experiencing new away days. For this reason I have to be honest and say I wouldn't slit my wrists if we ended up in League 1 at some point, id be thankful for some different grounds and places to go to! Would we come back anytime soon? who knows, I didn't think Blackburn would do well but they are not doing so bad. Could focus on building a team through our youngsters. Whatever league we are in I hope Flynn Downes is a starter next season for us and can stay there, I believe he is good enough and id have him playing now to be honest.

For me the worst thing that can happen is status quo, I would rather make a change, take a risk and if backfires and we end up in League 1 it could be a blessing for us (we may end up being a Coventry but I still think its a risk worth taking...). Do you know what I bet if we got relegated and changed manager we would have more ST holders than if we just float mid table in championship with Mick McCarthy. Just my opinion but it would be interesting to see

By the way I am not actively saying I want us to get relegated, if we can make changes and sort ourselves out in the Championship then great, but it doesn't look like we will, I can see us just floating around for another 5 or 6 years and slowly drifting until one year we fall out of it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Understand completely, Charlton. The Hibs were relegated, .... we had record ST sales in our 3rd season...., remember one game at ER v Falkirk, 19K at the game. Equivalent SPL fixture wouldve struggled to reach 12K. Strange how things work out.

But regarding envy. Never! The general consensus amongst Hibees in 2012 after the Cup defeat to the Hearts "C" words was they can shove their cup three miles up their arse! At least we are not afflicted by actually being Jambos!

Imagine it'd be the same witn ITFC fans -----> , Norwich go up via play offs, win the EPL and the Champions League? ------> fk them, so what! At least ITFC fans are NOT NCFC "C" words! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:42 pm

I would never be envious of that pile of sh*te, NEVER. They have a few half decent seasons and we are in awe of them ? Really ? Not for me, they've spent bloody millions to get where we are LMFAO.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:32 am

Not so much in awe - hardly - just seeing them where we aim to be, not just on one occasion, but three or four instances in the time in question. It's easy to see the animosity some have towards them, but as mentioned before I view them more out of humor or pity. At least they've spent money throughout the duration, got an owner prepared to fund the club. Laugh your as* off 'til your hearts content but like it or not guessing they've found more humor at our expense in recent time than vice versa.