Preston Nth End v Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Give us any chance?

Preston Win
50%
Ipswich Win
17%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 6

Frosty
Forum Owner

Preston Nth End v Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 am

Image Preston North End v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 24th February 2018 – 15:00

Deepdale

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

Not gonna lie I am at a really low ebb right now where Ipswich Town are concerned, I think the last few seconds at Carrow Road certainly didn't help and I am still so fed up with how we let it slip away but in truth the issues I have run much deeper than that. I just think the last Eighteen Months have finally caught up with me, the gradual decline of our fan base for whatever reason, the insipid and predictable performances which OK at times I have been happy with but it just goes on and on and when you are not even seeing any end product that dull, boring Football becomes even harder to swallow, we go through game after game, particularly at home with barely an attempt at goal and then I hear how it wasn't too bad ? Really ? There is much uncertainty around the club now and it has been going on for ages, nobody comes out and says a damn thing, it just drifts along aimlessly, to be honest at times I feel for Mick McCarthy and other times I want to rip his head off, never in my life have I been so divided on how I feel about a Manager. It may be a bit extreme but at present I can see the club dying before our very eyes, I mean just how low are we prepared to let the attendances get ? The atmosphere Tuesday evening was dire, a morgue springs to mind and even those around me who wanted to vent their anger couldn't even muster the energy to shout the negative stuff, it really has become that bad.

Prior to the game on Wednesday I stood outside the ground and looked at the statue of the great Sir Bobby Robson and thought to myself my god how can this once great club be allowed to drift along in such a meaningless state, why is this just being allowed to happen, I thought back to the nights when the likes of Barcelona and St. Etienne were being put to the sword and while nobody can ever expect that again never have I ever thought I would feel so depressed about my beloved club, Evans is no fool and even if you are pro MM he can't stay because it will continue to fester away until such time as the damage could well become terminal, Mach has always said to me League One in a couple of years and I have basically laughed it off but failure to address our current situation in the Summer and god knows what may happen in the next season or Two, I am 100% sure under Mick we would always be comfortably safe but at what cost ? Then we have the issue of who can we even get in here to take on the Job of restoring us to some sort of promotion candidates, again that won't be easy, a young up and coming manager would have a hell of a task with the type of budget Mick gets and while I am wanting change I want Championship survival more, relegation would kill this club and the fools who say it may be a good thing need a Brain transplant, of course it could go the other way and see us fighting at the top of the table while playing good quality football, but my oh my what a gamble it would be. All in all I have no answers, all I know is that the game against Cardiff really hit home to me just how fed up I am becoming, most of it is at home, my away days keep me going and keep me sane but I get so Portman Road is not a nice place to go anymore.

I would like to think that was the end of the negative stuff but next up are Preston North End who are in the middle of a fine run of form and are looking a very good side indeed, under the leadership of ex Canary Alex Neil they are proving that when done right an unfancied and unfashionable club can be there or thereabouts, our depressing run of Two wins in the last Eleven looks likely to be extended as I am not hopeful of anything from this game, more injuries seem to have occured with Didsy and Garner both missing out in Midweek while Carayol was the latest new arrival to go down with illness shortly after arriving, it just goes on and on. It looks very likely that David McGoldrick has played his last game for the club and I am not sorry, he started the season well but has once again gone back to picking up injury after injury and I think we will find it hard to even give him away come May. So unfortunately I can see a comfortable home win in this one as our season stumbles to another predictable conclusion. Hopefully next week things will feel more upbeat where I am concerned but right now there are very few reasons to be cheerful. COYB'S......ITIL.

The Opposition – Preston North End

Preston North End was originally founded as a cricket club in 1863, by Mr Walter Pomfret of Deepdale Road, who was the first person to rent the field on which North End has always played. The original rent was £8 per year. As Preston already had a strong town's club, they adopted the "North End" suffix because they moved to the North End of the town when Moor Park opened, playing their matches at Moor Park. Prior to that they played at Bow Lane. The club adopted rugby union code in 1877, but one year later they played their first game under the rules of association football, and in May 1880 unanimously passed a resolution to adopt the association code.

Preston North End were famously successful during the early years of professional football in England. In 1887, Preston beat Hyde 26–0 in the First Round of the FA Cup, still a record winning margin in English first-class football. Preston forward Jimmy Ross scored eight goals in the match, going on to score 19 goals in the competition that season, also still a record.

In 1888–89, they became the first league champions and the first winners of "The Double", becoming the only team to date to go throughout an entire season unbeaten in both the league and FA Cup – winning the FA Cup without conceding a goal.

Preston were league champions again the following season, but have not won the title since. The club's last major trophy was an FA Cup triumph in 1938.

Preston were relegated to the Second Division in 1961 and have not played in the top division since. The club did reach the FA Cup final in 1964, but lost to West Ham United. Preston were relegated to the Third Division in the 1969–70 season. The club won the Third Division title at the first attempt and so returned to the Second Division.

Bobby Charlton, an England World Cup winner from 1966, was appointed Preston manager in 1973, but was unable to prevent the club from sliding into the Third Division in his first season and left after two years in charge. A brief respite in 1978 saw Preston win promotion back to the Second Division, but go down after three seasons. In 1985 the club fell into the Fourth Division for the first time in its history.

In 1986, Preston finished second from bottom in the Fourth Division and only avoided dropping into the Football Conference because the other Football League members voted in favour of the division's bottom four teams retaining their senior status.
A year later Preston won promotion to the Third Division and they were still at this level until 1990 when they were relegated from the first season of the new Division Two.

Preston were Division Three title in 1997, and in February 1998, 34-year-old defender David Moyes took over management of the club. Preston quickly developed into Division Two promotion contenders under Moyes, reaching the 1998–99 play-offs but losing out to Gillingham in the semi-finals, before finally being promoted as champions a year later.

Preston began the new millennium by winning promotion from Division 2 in the 1999–2000 season as champions. The club almost made it two promotions in a row in 2001 but lost 3–0 to Bolton Wanderers in the Division One play-off final. Moyes left for Everton in March 2002.

Preston were little more than a mid-table side until the 2004/5 season when Billy Davies took over and guided Preston to the Championship playoff final in his first season as manager, but they lost to West Ham United. The club reached the play-offs again the following year, this time losing out at the semi-final stage.

Preston spent much of the 2006–07 season in the automatic promotion or play-off places. However, from March 2007 the club slid rapidly down the league. On 11 July 2007, Nugent, the first Preston player to win an England cap for 50 years, left the club to join Portsmouth for a reported transfer fee of £6,000,000 and they did not recover from their poor run of form.

After a bad start to the 2007–08 season which saw the club pick up just three wins, Paul Simpson was sacked as manager on 13 November 2007 and Alan Irvine was appointed as Preston's new manager on a three-and-a-half year deal. He achieved his first objective as manager by finishing in 15th place, thus securing Preston's survival in the Championship.

The following season, he led Preston to 6th place in the Championship after a good run of form towards the end of the season, qualifying for the play-offs.

On 29 December 2008, Irvine was sacked after a poor run of results, with the club appointing Darren Ferguson as his successor and he narrowly secured their survival in the Championship.
In the 2009–10 season, Preston finished in 17th place and in the following season they were bottom of the Championship when Ferguson was sacked at Christmas.

Former Hull City manager Phil Brown was appointed as Ferguson's replacement, but could only achieve his first win in his 13th game in charge. This sparked an improved run of form, but could not prevent relegation to League One.

Brown was sacked on 14 December 2011 after less than a year in charge. After four weeks of interviews, Preston approached Stevenage manager Graham Westley and he was appointed manager on Friday 13 January 2012. Following a poor string of results, including a club record run of 12 home games without a win, Westley was sacked as Preston manager on 13 February 2013.

On 18 February 2013, it was confirmed that Simon Grayson had taken charge of Prestonand by the end of the 2012–13 season Preston were safe in 14th place, 11 points clear of relegation.

Preston won promotion to the Championship after beating Swindon Town 4–0 in the League One play-off Final on 24 May 2015, having failed in their previous nine appearances in the play-offs.

Since promotion to the second tier, Preston have achieved two successive top-half finishes despite having the third-lowest budget in the Championship, relying on a shrewd transfer policy and the development of young, relatively inexpensive players.

Last season Preston finished in 11th place with 62 points.

The Manager – Alex Neil

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Form Guide

Preston Last 5 Matches - Currently in 9th place with 51 points

30 Jan Nottm Forest 0 - 3 Preston

3 Feb Preston 2 - 1 Hull City

10 Feb Brentford 1 - 1 Preston

17 Feb Preston 1 - 1 Wolverhampton

20 Feb Aston Villa 1 - 1 Preston

Ipswich Last 5 Matches - Currently in place 14th with 45 points

27 Jan Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Wolverhampton

3 Feb Sunderland 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

10 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Burton Albion

18 Feb Norwich City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

21 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Cardiff City

Fixtures of Interest which may affect Towns standing

BURTON ALBION VS MILLWALL

NORWICH CITY VS BOLTON WANDERERS

LEEDS UTD VS BRENTFORD FC

Match Referee – Scott Duncan

PRESTON NORTH END 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

charlton837

Re: Preston Nth End v Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks for the review. Mike to cheer you up Just watched the MM press conference where he says he feels that ME will be wanting him to stay and if that's the case MM would be happy to do so. He feels it's unlikely to go the other way. He also says he won't listen to the small minority of fans who don't want him here because the vast majority do. So there you go, in my opinion the pendulum swings hugely in the favour of MM staying, at least for another 2 years.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 am

Are you serious ?

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:52 am

Bluemike wrote:Are you serious ?
Im afraid so, its on the live press conference videos, words to those effects. I guess EADT and TWTD will release the transcript later today. Said something like he wants to feel wanted and loved, by the owner and as long as he does he is happy, that's when he was asked the question and he said he feels its most likely they are going to ask him to stay and that these in depth talks will be within next 3 or 4 weeks. Said he had already been discussing new players with Evans for next season and planning pre season

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:58 am

Q: You’ve had the joy at Sunderland, a bit of stick against Burton, the ecstasy and the agony of the Norwich game and then you’re left fuming at the ref in midweek. You certainly go through the range of emotions in this job don’t you?

A: You’ve noticed!”

Q: 25 years in this game now – do you still get that buzz or are there moments where you think ‘why am I putting myself through this?’

A: I’m only 42 you know, I’ve weathered well haven’t?! I still get the buzz from it, of course I do. I wouldn’t be doing it if I didn’t. The disappointments are horrible but the good times are great.

I still get the buzz from coming in here, coming in and doing my job on the training ground and managing the club and being part of it every day.

The games, that’s the highs and lows and that’s the real stuff. I get a buzz from it every day.

Q: What does Mrs McCarthy say about it all? What does she say when you walk in the door with emotions still high?

A: She says ‘hello love, come in, have a beer and sit down. A cold towel for the head. Does she ‘eck!

She’s been my best supporter for, well, 38 years this year, since we’ve been married. She continues to be that. She’s just a mum, a grandma and my support.

Q: Football’s an addiction for you isn’t it? Winning is an addiction for you...

A: Yes. It’s not just the games, you can’t have just the games of course and simply turn up and have the games on a Tuesday and a Saturday. You have to go through this (media), all the daily routine, but I don’t find that a routine, it’s all enjoyable and I love that part of it.

All it is, is a build-up to the games, though, the parts everybody else cares about. And I’m lucky enough to still be sat on that touchline getting happy, getting sad, getting angry, emotional and fired up for every time we play.

Q: We keep talking about your future but you’ve said before, whether it’s here or somewhere else, you still have that burning desire to be in the game.

A: I have, yes. And I look at my club, this club, at the moment and think the players that are here and will be here next year – and think ‘please God’ for them as much as anybody that they are injury free – that we have a good squad.

I still have to discuss that with Marcus (Evans), but if he wants me to stay then I will certainly consider that. And that’s where it’s at. Marcus has to want me to stay and not anybody else. It has to be the club.

Q: What will be the things under consideration for you if that offer is forthcoming from the owner?

A: Well that’s for me and Marcus to discuss and not for public airing at the moment. I am due to speak to him and I speak to him on a regular basis, but not about that.

I spoke to him the other night about the game, how it went, but we’ll be sitting down to talk about that shortly.

Q: You sound as if you think this club could be in good shape going forwards with the players coming back from injury and youngsters coming through.

A: Despite everything that goes on I think it is (in good shape) and it’s managed well, this place is, the club is. I can’t always guarantee results or performances, nobody can, no matter how much they’ve got, but it’s a good club and I’m particularly happy here as well.

I’m not wanting to leave. You’ve asked me about Luke Hyam and David McGoldrick and that’s the same – their contracts are up and there’s nothing you can do unless somebody wants you to stay.

It’s interesting, I’m just reading Carlo Ancelotti’s book – it’s great – and he talks about cycles. He says ‘while you’re there just make sure you make the best you possibly can of it’.

He also says ‘it’s nice to be loved and wanted’ and I thought ‘well yeah, it is’. Until we find out if that’s the case then I won’t know will I?!

Q: As much as being wanted by Marucs, as well as the fans, is that what you’re saying?

A: Listen, fans fluctuate on performances and results and, by the way, it’s not all the fans. It’s a small section of them, I believe, who have decided it’s me they don’t want, they want somebody else.

I’ve had great support from the fans here so I’m not worried about that.

Q: Season ticket renewal time is coming up in the next few weeks. Do you think it would be good to get your future sorted before that so everybody knows where they stand?

A: That might effect how many are sold or not sold, so we might just keep that one in the balance I don’t know! I would hate to think me saying I was staying effected the season ticket sales. I would like to think they went up. We’ll see.

Q: Joking aside, do you think there will be decision in the next few weeks or do you think it will go right to the end of the season?

A: I don’t know. I’m due to speak to Marcus in the next three or four weeks. But I’ve said to you before, I’m cool with it.

For all the reasons I’ve just said, the players that are here, the fact I like living here, that I like doing the job...

I’m certainly not going to be driven out by a small section of fans who are going to make my decision on that, let me tell you that. That’s not going to happen.

I’m a bit too long in the tooth and a bit too up for the fight for that to happen. If everyone else wants me around the place then that would make the big decision for me.

Q: Who are the people’s opinions that matter to you the most? Marcus, I assume?

A: Marcus owns the club and his is the biggest one. You have to have the support of him and you have to have a good relationship with the people above you. And I have a great relationship with him.

Q: Have you started plans for pre-season?

A: Yes, and talking about players for next season, so I’m going ahead, as I’ve said to you before, with the job and planning for it.

I would never just down tools and stop, anyway. Even if Marcus came to say to me – and I doubt very much he’s going to do – ‘Mick, I think that’s enough we need to go’...

I think it’s actually more likely to be quite the opposite – ‘Mick, I’d like you to stay’ – I think that would be the more likely scenario.

But, whatever one, I will continue doing the job until the end of the season. As the good professional that I am.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:22 pm

It's unreal really but that looks pretty conclusive. Fan base will die

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:27 pm

at least for a generation, we will always have the potential of a good fan base. And if and when things improve im sure we can get a lot of people back. The truth is that if Mick left and someone else came in we may find its only temporary hope and still find we are losing our fan base due to the owner.

If we suddenly were bought out by someone who gave us a 100m warchest, I (and probably many others) would probably say give it to Mick as I think with good money he could get us right up there so im not convinced people want him gone because of him, I think its more because they are fed up of Evans, bit by bit he is killing us and Mick is probably the annoying bit of glue just holding us together. That's not to say no one else could do it but I just feel Mick being here is delaying the inevitable and so we are just losing fans bit by bit, year on year.

Worrying times ahead, but I think with Mick we wont get relegated, to me however relegation isn't my biggest fear. Just don't know where this club is heading. I would imagine eventually it will be sold on if a buyer is found, but is that going to be 2,3, 10, 20 years into the future? Who the hell knows...

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Was required to view Preston North End's last five game score as had no idea of what they've recently been involved in. Here you got a famous name of English "football" where the national history museum of the game is located. (Well worth a trip if you get the opportunity)

Couldn't decide what could or will occur. Their recent scores seem mixed and we ourselves are so unpredictable that a point each seemed likely. Entertainment could be at a minimum amid a cold afternoon so perhaps a low score draw game could be best guess. McCarthy may not say a word all game after the furore of before but it's up to the players to achieve out there. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Preston 1 Ipswich 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Mick McCarthy quote from the above interview:
I would never just down tools and stop, anyway. Even if Marcus came to say to me – and I doubt very much he’s going to do – ‘Mick, I think that’s enough we need to go’...
End quote.

"We" need to go? Makes it sound like there is a getaway car outside waiting for the two of them.

Thanks for the preview, Mike, (put the wilkinson sword blades BACK in the cabinet) and thanks for posting the interview there, Charlton.

Not understanding why a manager would be so focused on how happy a "knows fk all about football" owner is. And I'm fairly sure it's a tad more than a "small minority" wanting him oot the door.
And, massive question -----> why the absolute Fuk are they planning for NEXT season? An admission that THIS season is over? Talk about wording things to deplete the attendances even more.

Hope Mevans knows what the hell he's doing. I think it's time there was a meeting with Marcus Evans himself and the fans, maybe organised through a large supporters club.
Mick saying Mevans & himself will be meeting in 3 or 4 weeks time isn't really good enough for fans budgeting for season ticket renewal time.

No win tomorrow I feel. No draw either unfortunately. 3-0 PNE. Mortgage on it......, but NEVER bet against ITFC. That's my rule anyway.

Alex Neil caption:
Interviewer: You did what to Delia while at Norwich?
AN: You know....... MMMMMM! That.

Ref:
"I heard what you just said, Alex. Get the fk out of this stadium."

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Unbelievable Jeff!!
Then again not surprising.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Sounds like we are playing well today. Could have been 3-0 up!carayol tearing them apart at times. Waghorn sounding more dangerous in a more advanced position. COYB

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:08 pm

What a difference today, much improved performance and thoroughly deserved win, could have been 3 or 4 at Ht, they couldn't handle Carayol. Every player did well but Skuse MOTM and Carayol and Carter-Vickers very impressive too. Never looked like conceding. Happy long journey home. COYB'S

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:12 pm

If Mick does stay next season , I think ME should give him a substantial amount of backing money wise, after all he's been here 5 years and worked with naff all funds? So I think it's time for Markus to front mick with decent funding, if he doesn't then we will know he's a bloody tight arse who really hasent any intentions of giving the fans or mick the chance to persu promotion, so if the wallet stays shut he can f**k off and ruin another club, as we have had a gut full of his none communication and taking the p*ss out of the fans

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:37 pm

ashfordblue wrote:If Mick does stay next season , I think ME should give him a substantial amount of backing money wise, after all he's been here 5 years and worked with naff all funds? So I think it's time for Markus to front mick with decent funding, if he doesn't then we will know he's a bloody tight arse who really hasent any intentions of giving the fans or mick the chance to persu promotion, so if the wallet stays shut he can f**k off and ruin another club, as we have had a gut full of his none communication and taking the p*ss out of the fans
:lol: Please post more often, Ash. Win or lose, just get posting..... you make me laugh every time!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Given up on the accumulators for the season. Forest haven't been able to score of late ----> go to Loftus Road and score 5? Load of Shyte! In the words of my late, great, grandad, "Effin rigged!"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:28 pm

As i’ve been saying for a while I still believe McCarthys future will be influenced by our end of season finishing position and if we end better than last season (16th) I believe he will be offered a two year extension. God forbid.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Just watched the highlights on sky..Looks like Preston are struggling to pull in the crowds to, with a half an empty stadium & they are in a better position table wise than us.
People moan that MM has cause the crowds to disappear ,i personally think its the cost..less face it, football has been a rip off for years
On a positive note yeeeeessss we won :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Hang on guys and gals - we’ve just beaten a reasonably in form Preston side away, playing some quality, entertaining, football in the first half, and digging in throughout the second half, both to keep a clean sheet, and grab 3 perhaps unlikely points. And yet we still seem to be totally hung up on ME and MM and what might, or might not, happen in the future.

For once, let’s just enjoy the win, congratulate all involved in achieving it, and park the ME/MM hysteria - for at least a wee while!

(Oh yea......MM’s going nowhere, btw) :wink:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 pm

The good away win embellished by the rare moments of brilliance which we hardly see nowadays. By saying rare moments I mean the kind of performance that was produced by Carayol today.

Glorious opportunity missed by him in the 10 min as one of one was saved by Rudd and the follow-up went wide. He ought to have scored. The ilk of the chance where you stand in disbelief and keep your head in hands. All that opportunity came from a very quick-counter attack as most of the players was camped near or inside our box.

He made amends though 10 mins later when he was quicker to the ball than Preston's full-back and then went on went and scored into the far post. All that opportunity began from the Skuse's pass.

Yet another really outstanding moment from Carayol in 30 mins when he beat two or three Preston players, played the pass towards Waghorn whose shot was blocked by the Preston defender. All that set-up and opportunity takes you off your seat and we don't have a chance to watch moments like that too often nowadays. I'd say we're starved of that in the current era.

5 mins later Iorfa hit the bar from the tight angle albeit the close range. Soon after Skuse's strong shot from 25 yards grabbed by Rudd.

Many tasty moments from us and really surprised with that kind of performance. Anti-McCarthy's performance in all honesty as we rarely see such an attacking one. Alex Neil was forced to make a double tactical substitution that's testament to how good we were.

Preston in the first half? Some slick passing at times but with no end product. Series of corners with which we dealt well in general bar couple of moments where their players were left unmarked.

Ought to have been at least 2 if not 3-0 at half time and Preston team and fans couldn't have complained.

Hyam replaced not fully fit Carayol before the 2nd half started and it was quite disappointing at the time as we lost our biggest star of the day and main goal threat.
Second half in a nutshell? We did shut the shop and successfully made Preston look average. I admit that if we hadn't won the match I would have been very upset with that switch. I would have been asking: 'why Hyam, why not Celina?'. But all of that has been overshadowed by the final result and it's 3 points that matters most.

Not surprisingly (because of the change we made) we never troubled Rudd in the 2nd half as our main focus was on making life difficult for the opposition and we did so. They were completely unable to break our rigid defensive line. Bialkowski had about 3 saves to make but he was comfortable with it. Preston forwards restricted themselves to a few long shots. Two of them went ridiculously high and miles of our goal.

Carter-Vickers in particular was very impressive with job we were doing in the 2nd half. I think he won vast majority of headers if not all of them.

Watching Preston today made me wonder how they had been so good of late. Very good last week against Wolves, very dominant against Villa on Tuesday. Their new striker Lewis Moult may have been a star in SPL for Motherwell but today completely anonymous as our central backs kept him quiet.

Our MOTM? I'd say two of them. Skuse and obviously Carayol for the moments he gave us today. Yes I said Skuse as it's been best from him I've seen from the Wolves away 0-0 draw last season (that one in which we had Murphy's goal disallowed). Not only the pass that led to Carayol's goal. Nice double dribbling in the first half, very assured in the middle, couple of really good interceptions and a calming influence. The credit and praise is certainly due in his case today.

Carayol. His ongoing problem was the consistency. Can be electric on his day (like he was today despite the illness) or completely anonymous and the latter is probably the reason why Nottingham let him go. Wonder what we could get from him and Celina together on both wings if both are in-form. Personally nothing excites me more in football than quick winger beating defenders and causing havoc among an opposition. That's been the case with Carayol today. Really delighted with his show.

As mentioned above Carter-Vickers very good too. Very good loan spell and what a replacement for Smith.

Iorfa probably better than ever with his positioning too.

What is particularly worth noticing that Preston wouldn't have a real single opportunity to score and that's a very pleasing aspect from today.

3 points that don't make any change when it comes to the general situation but undoubtedly a massive thing following such turbulent week.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:25 am

Got the opportunity for some highlights of what occurred today and first and foremost, why can't the team perform like that more frequently ? There appeared consistency and desire and no dispute in overall victory. With more of the same the team could have been nearer the promotion places, damn frustrating when they only choose to put on a show at such few and far between instances.

The Carayol boy seemed energetic and with ideas, not afraid to run at defenses. Bialkowski made the customary saves to preserve any advantage, had the opposition taken anything from today it would have served as some level of injustice. I accepted before game time that any hope of a top six finish was all but over and despite today's victory would still insist we've left ourselves with too much to do and with insufficient time to remedy the situation.

Lo and behold McCarthy expects Evans to provide a new contract extension in the summer and the former mentioned he is content to stay on and enjoying it. Good win today for sure, much needed after some recent scores and performances, however, the idea of McCarthy continuing for another year or two beyond 2018 leaves many with a feeling of nausea. Marcus Evans blue eyed cherubim can do no wrong it would appear, and after months of rumor, speculation, and conjecture it seems the individual is to remain in place beyond the close season. Whether you want to agree or disagree it sours what was otherwise something of an inspired team performance and clear improvement from previous sub-standard games and analysis.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:25 am

What a Jekyll & Hyde club we are, after the drab performance of Wednesday Night Town turned in a thoroughly professional and solid performance at Deepdale to run out deserved winners against a team that has been in great form in recent months. The first half was the Mustapha Carayol show as he took the Preston defence apart time and time again, running at them and beating them at will it really was something that has been a long time coming for a Town team. With the game barely ten minutes old he really should have put us ahead, having been played through by Waghorn but his first effort saw Rudd make a good save, the rebound fell nicely for carayol and it was easier to score but he somehow put it the wrong side of the post with the goal gaping. Preston had one or two moments of their own with balls being flashed across the box with nobody on hand to get the vital touch. Despite the home side having plenty of ball it was Town that looked the more likely going forward, with Skuse pulling the strings in Midfield and Waghorn and Carayol causing the Preston defence problems we got ourselves ahead, Skuse started the move with a ball over the top which Carayol should have been second best to but he beat the defender to it before surging into the box and sliding the ball passed the helpless Rudd, it was really no more than Town deserved after a very lively start. Preston seemed to have had loads of corners which looked to be their main threat but the CB trio were getting their heads to virtually everything, Carter-Vickers in particular was winning lots of balls while Chambo & Webster too were looking very assured. Going forward Dominic Iorfa was proving to be a nuisance for the preston defence too and proved the first half at Norwich was no fluke.

Town were so close to going Two up as Carayol went on a blistering run, leaving defenders sprawling he got inside the box and crossed invitingly for waghorn who's shot was blocked by a last gasp lunge form a Preston defender and the chance was gone. It was pretty much all Town as HT approached and Carayol was again instrumental in yet another chance going begging, linking well with waghorn Town worked the ball into the box and it fell to the impressive Iorfa at the back post who took a touch before smashing the ball off the crossbar. Moments later Skuse hit a shot which was collected by Rudd, Such was Town's dominance that Preston made a double first half tactical change to try and thwart the on fire Carayol. With half time almost upon us preston were very fortunate not to be reduced to ten men as waghorn broke free before being hauled down by the last defender and try as he might he just could not keep his feet, incredibly the ref deemed it as yellow. It had been a very good first Forty Five minutes from Town who should really have been Three up, Bart hadn't had a save to make and apart from a couple of whipped in balls and a string of corners preston offered little else as an attacking force.

Disappointingly the teams reappeared with Luke Hyam on for the flying Carayol, was it a sign of Mick parking the bus or was it more to counter the changes that preston had made late in the first half ? As it turned out it was tactical and also with one eye on carayol having been ill in the week, either way Town still played out the second half with little threat to our goal, we did lose a fair bit going forward but always looked dangerous on the break as preston tried to come forward. Preston were reduced to trying a couple of long aimless efforts which Bart dealt with comfortably, Sears had been on the replace the hard working Joe garner who was on a yellow card. There was little by the way of goal mouth incident in the final Fifteen minutes and Town saw it through in professional fashion.

It really was a very good away display and deserving of a more emphatic win. For me Cole Skuse was the MOTM for the second time in Four days while Carayol was the architect of the win with his direct runnning and mazy runs causing mayhem for the Preston Defenders, at the back Carter-Vickers just got better and better as the game went on and was on the end of so many high balls, Chambo and Webster too looked very assured alongside him, Iorfa proved that as Wing back he cuts it and was very impressive too, often tucking in and covering his fellow defenders, he read situations very well and his height was often crucial in defending high balls into our box. Up front waghorn & Garner put in their usual hard shift but Waggy was offside so many times it got silly, had he timed a few runs a little better we could have had a hatfull. After feeling so flat Wednesday Night it feels so much better today and while the general issues remain at the club there is little to be disappointed in today.

Bart (6) Iorfa (7) Chambers (7) Carter-Vickers (8) Webster (7) Knudsen (6) Connolly (6) Skuse (8) Carayol (8) Waghorn (7) Garner (7)

SUBS :- Hyam (6) Sears (6) Spence (6)

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:19 am

Unexpected but nice win. MM to stay I say. :D

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:43 am

Lol yeah only 6 points off play offs..the dream is still alive :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 am

Magicmark wrote:Lol yeah only 6 points off play offs..the dream is still alive :lol:
Yep just 6 points and 6 teams above us going for that 6th spot.
Easily doable. :wink:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:28 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Magicmark wrote:Lol yeah only 6 points off play offs..the dream is still alive :lol:
Yep just 6 points and 6 teams above us going for that 6th spot.
Easily doable. :wink:
Its possible with a good run of wins but unfourtualy our form has been inconsistent for years,So I'm not getting excited :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:29 pm

What a difference a few days make!...... only read reports and a few highlights on the telly but wow, what a difference a bit of pace makes. For all the talk about McCarthy not playing Celina in last weeks “Derby Game”, what about Mustapha Carayol, i’d just love to have seen what damage he might have done at Carrow Road. Hopefully we’ll see more of him over the next few weeks and hopefully he’ll be able to consistently maintain the same level of impact against different opponents.

I agree the season isn’t over yet and it certainly wouldn’t be if we could play like we did yesterday for a few games to build up some confidence. Neither Hull City or Sheff Wednesday will rollover in the next two games but if we could get two decent results the following games v Sheffield United and Bristol City would be far more meaningful.

Anyway, taking one game at a time, we’ll done for yesterday boys, that really was a brilliant result which I guess not many of us really expected.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Three ‘C’s - Consistency, Confidence and Carayol might yet provide us with reasons to be cheerful, and hopeful of a decent run in. Building on yesterday’s fine performance against Hull becomes the next challenge - but the landscape’s looking a tad more positive.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Always thought Mevans, McCarthy & Cole were the three "C's" in the opinions of attending supporters.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:17 pm

marko69 wrote:Always thought Mevans, McCarthy & Cole were the three "C's" in the opinions of attending supporters.
Yes - they’re certainly cult figures round here......