If we can't do it in March we won't do it at all :-)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

If we can't do it in March we won't do it at all :-)

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:03 pm

So here we are 6 points off the playoffs. March brings a vital 5 games, 3 against teams way down in the mire and 2 against teams above us and pushing for the top 6.

In my view a fantastic March could still see us make the top six, even though the odds are against us. The two hardest games are surely 'must wins' if we are to do so and so are the other three.

Do or die time for the season methinks.

What does the team think?

Hull (20th) home - 3 points for me
Sheff Wednesday (17th) away - 3 points again
Sheff United (8th) home - Must win 3 points again in front of our passionately loyal fans :mrgreen:
Bristol City (6th) away - Could this be a dream win? Maybe a bridge too far for us let's hope for a draw 1 point
Birmingham (22nd) away - Comfy 3 points for me

Total = 13 points

Yep, hopelessly optimistic but anything short of this and we are out of it (even if we aren't already).

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: If we can't do it in March we won't do it at all :-)

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:35 pm

I think we could win three and lose two, but we may be surprised which ones come where.

9 points for me which would be enough to keep us on the fringe of the play offs and McCarthy in a job.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:23 pm

I know I was the one who said get yer mortgage on a 3-0 PNE win, but Dubai? Get yerself onto the decaffinated coffee, dude! Pronto!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Play like we did yesterday then 12 points could be very attainable but play like we did against Burton and we would be lucky to get 2. Which Town turns up, god knows.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:Play like we did yesterday then 12 points could be very attainable but play like we did against Burton and we would be lucky to get 2. Which Town turns up, god knows.
And that is the problem.
Not just a case of from one game to the next but often from one 45 minutes to the next.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Well things can changeover quickly with this game. If we can get two wins in the next 2 games then by the time we play Sheff U we will be the team that other talk about as putting together a good run at the right time to seek into the POs. All the pressure will be on Sheffield then. Another win and the same will be true of Bristol City (assuming they haven't imploded by then).

Who knows? :-)

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Anything’s possible.....but, to be in with a fighting chance, we’ll need to acquire the major ingredient that’s gone walk-about so far this season - consistency, including within individual matches. Becoming unbeatable at home would be a good starting point.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Not about doing it in March, it's about doing over the course of a season. That start in August was phenomenal but naturally wasn't to continue. Said before we've left it too late with too much to do.

That's not to say it won't happen but seriously it would seem highly unlikely. All the teams above us will have the same ideas and ambitions and so long as they pick up points along the way we'll require to keep in touch and maintain regular victory.

Team is far too inconsistent to realistically entertain the idea. McCarthy should get his contract extension regardless of what occurs from here to May, many won't like it or show clear disappointment but if you dare question it then argument invariably arises. All told the scenario provides an element of belief of expectation but realists will accept it's ultimately a false hope.

For every game we turn up and put on a show there's three or four of it either side that provides unacceptable performance and score. For that reason alone any chance of a top six finish would appear to be beyond the team.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Think we have only won back to back games 4 times in last 3 seasons (I stand to be corrected on this...) so I’d say putting any kind of run together has been a problem for a long time

I saw in our P.O. season we won back to back games 6 times.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 am

charlton837 wrote:Think we have only won back to back games 4 times in last 3 seasons (I stand to be corrected on this...) so I’d say putting any kind of run together has been a problem for a long time

I saw in our P.O. season we won back to back games 6 times.
Nine in fact, here just for the record :

2017/18

8/5 - 8/19 (1)

11/28 - 12/2 (2)

2016 - 17

4/14 - 4/17 (3)

2015 -16

8/15 - 8/22 (4)

11/3 - 11/7 (5)

12/12 - 12/15 (6)

12/26 - 12/29 (7)

2/27 - 3/5 (8)

4/30 - 5/7 (9)

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:25 am

Thanks SJ. I knew last and this was 3 in total, couldn't remember the one before that. Surprised me it was 6 though. That season we were woefully short on goals waiting until last home game before we saw 3 goals at PR.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 am

It was a very good result, but I can’t see us sustaining that.

We,ve got to leap frog 7 clubs to get 6th place, so it’s not like we have to make up six points against one side.

I’ve never felt we were top six candidates because we don’t regularly set up to dominate and win games. I’ll give credit to MM, we’re mathematically in with a shout and it’s coming towards the business end of the season, but would not be surprised if we have a Burton-like performance at home to Hull next game.

Can’t predict March’s results but the teams in the relegation battle are going to fight tooth and nail for anything, so no easy games there. Could be Bristol City could well be the one for the taking as they look like one of the teams who will implode and drop out of the top six.

I’ll go for 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses in March.... we play for fine margins and so we’re likely to have a share of the win/lose/draw results over 5 games.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Dubai, I admire your optimism, and I don't want to be rude, but if you are seriously suggesting we have a chance of making the play-offs then I think you're deluded :wink: . Time will tell I guess.

And in any case, we're in no way ready to go up anyway.

Just think what would happen if by a miracle we made the play-offs and our opponents failed to turn up so we gained promotion by default. Next season would be a disaster - 9-nill drubbings would be a weekly occurrence, none of the premier league millions would be spent on improving the playing staff as Evans would take the money and run, the club would definitely plunge headlong into oblivion.

I think we'd be far better off trying out some of the young players between now and the end of the season in readiness for next year.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Rossi, we do have a chance of making the playoffs. Not a big one surely, maybe even a tiny tiny one. IMO no reason not to keep trying for it until it's not possible. I would expect nothing less from the manager and the team.

Now whether I think we will ......... that's a different matter. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Can only go by match reports myself, DB (and occasional live games) ..... but yep, witn Rossi on this ....... nae Stewart Granger, buddy

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 pm

This debate hinges on two two different words, realistic & mathematical. Yes , we still have a mathematical chance of making the play offs, and No, we have no realistic chance of making the play offs.

I guess it depends which of these two different chances we’re discussing.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:53 am

It's true Charnwood. But I wonder how we will feel if we win the next two and the gap is down to 4 or 5 points and one of the following two games against that team? In my view still quite realistic, if unlikely.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:58 am

id like to think we should beat Hull at home on Saturday (doesn't mean we will but we really should). I do however think Sheff Wed away may be more difficult that some are making out, they may be having a crap season but I don't think they will be a walkover. I tell you what if we do beat Hull and Sheff Wed then perhaps I will start thinking its not so crazy after all. We do have a decent run of games, but I just don't see were a team that carries enough consistency, time will tell I guess

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Hull W 3pts
Sheff Wednesday D 1pt
Sheff United D 1pt
Bristol City W 3pts
Birmingham W 3pts

Total points 11 :mrgreen:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am

13 points (or more) still on then. Not a bad start to March....... Next week is the big one. 6 points would be a dream return.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Dubai........, March had a GREAT start for Ipswich and the players....... making igloos and snowball fights down the park! :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:09 pm

We're a funny lot...us ITFC fans. We win a game and we're anticipating the play offs; we lose a game, and we're on our way to League One! f**king hilarious stuff!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 pm

number 9 wrote:We're a funny lot...us ITFC fans. We win a game and we're anticipating the play offs; we lose a game, and we're on our way to League One! f**king hilarious stuff!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indeed, but we are bloody sight closer to the play offs than we are relegation, much to the annoyance of some.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:59 pm

The fight for 6th place will probably be the most exciting competition within the Championship between now and the end of the season. As it stands any one of the teams currently ranked 5-12 could finish in 6th place. History would suggest one of the teams currently outside the Top 6 will fill this spot which suggests it will be one of, Bristol City, Preston, Sheffield United, Brentford, Millwall or little old Ipswich Town.
Given we play both Sheffield United and Bristol City later this month these results could be pretty significant.