Tighter Defence

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Tighter Defence

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Couldn't help but notice that in the last Five games we have only conceded Two goals, those being the calamitous last second goal at Norwich and the clear handball at home to Cardiff, both so avoidable for differing reasons, within those Five games we have Three clean sheets, I can't help but wonder if this has much to do with the arrival of Carter-Vickers coupled with a return to the 3-5-2 which I favour so much ? Taking it further in the last Eight games we have not conceded more than One in any game and by our standards that is pretty decent.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Tighter Defence

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Great stats there.

This could also answer why McCarthy has become extremely more arrogant towards the fans. You all know that he himself is a "defence first" type of tactician, and in his head, it's all going not too bad at all. He's like, "What is wrong with you "C's", fk off!"

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Defense may be acceptable but we often struggle to score goals with it also. McCarthy is better suited to the Italian game, focus on (opposition) goal avoidance and keeping things restricted. May not provide first class entertainment but sometimes will get you the result you require.

I think fans would argue the idea that we'd be better attacking teams and aiming for as high a score as possible during games even though the chance of letting in extra would come to pass. Stealing or playing for a one goal victory with no reply is acceptable to some but the need for more adventurous play is clearly evident.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:05 pm

I’d say Carter Vickers presence in the back three has made a significant difference. The formation is BALANCED and works, because for once, McCarthy is playing people in their best positions. It’s only took him 5 years!