Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Winnable Huh??

Sheff Wed Win
17%
Ipswich Win
33%
Draw
50%

Total votes: 6

hallamblue

Re: Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:48 pm

WAGHORNY......
HORNY....,HORNY..... HORNY.....
WAGHORNY.....
HORNY...... HORNY.... HORNY .....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 am

This will look even better next week if we can manage back to back home wins.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 am

hallamblue wrote:WAGHORNY......
WAGHORNY.....
Too far!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:06 am

Caught some game action and read report from a rival site, would seem a deserved victory at a venue that should ideally prove problematic. Of course they've (Sheffield) had their problems but let that not detract from a fine victory and something to take into subsequent games here and beyond.

Still insist the top six is unlikely but with enough consistency and belief all things are possible.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 am

3 points is what matters the most regardless of how it is achieved. For sure though we can't say it was a good performance from us. McCarthy, his team selection and tactics made it hard for us while it ought to have been a comfortable win against a poor opposition.

How could he justify his team selection? I'd wonder after seeing our line-up. Extremely defensive approach to contain the opposition.

Who were we going to contain? That was a jaded Sheffield Wed team. We had 10 days of rest since we've played Preston while Sheffield Wed played 2 away games within those 10 days. 2 long away trips for them. Loads of injuries. Bannan, Lee, Forestieri, Hooper, Westwood all out. As for the latter he's one of the better keepers in this league and his replacement Wildsmith hasn't had a good spell. The team completely out of form, lacking confidence. Take all these factors and our approach was absolutely baffling.

Not surprisingly we barely offered a threat in the first half. The half painful to watch. One poor team against the other who would try to contain them. Tens of long aimless balls from both, a bit more from Town. First notable moment from Town was a cross from Knudsen that required Wildsmith's involvement.

The disappointing moment in 25 minute as Carayol had to be subbed due to the injury. Up until then he'd beat their defenders twice when running with the ball and it looked it'd be yet another good performance from him. It was particularly disappointing given our depressive line-up as he was the only one he could offer a threat.

We had no-one in the middle to link up between defence and strikers. Completely no-one to make any good passes. Literally every time our defence had the ball they'd lump it forward. No attempts to unlock their defence by some good passing. Just hoof it and see what happens.

No real opportunities for us. The half chance from Connolly as his header on target was easily grabbed by Wildsmith and Carter-Vickers' shot from 20 yards which went wide while he should have hit the target at least.

The most notable moment of the first half was Bialkowski's stunning reflex that stopped Nuhiu's shot from the close range.

Jordan Rhodes who had been ridiculously poor for them was replaced at half time. His partner in attack Nuhiu may be a donkey but at least he worked hard and dropped deep at times whereas Rhodes was a total waste.

We started the 2nd half on the front foot and with a bigger courage that paid off. Freddie Sears forced Loovens to make a mistake and from his cross and Connolly's touch Waghorn scored from a close range.

We dominated the proceedings for the next 10 minutes and the reason we couldn't kill the game off was a lack of attacking quality. Too many defensive minded players not knowing what to do with one exception as Connolly's header was impressively saved by the keeper.

Then from the 60 min onwards we are starting to sit deep and hang on. Trying to shut the shop as we did at Preston. The difference was that Preston had restricted themselves to long shots while Sheffield Wed would stubbornly try to unlock our defence. Nuhiu would remain a nuisance and Joao was a greater thread that ineffective Rhodes in the first half.

We got deservedly punished for playing like that as Joao beat both Webster and Chambers to fire into the far post.

15 minutes to go and McCarthy did the most sensible thing by taking useless Hyam off and replacing him with an attacking minded midfielder in Ward. Almost immediately the latter started offering a threat and tormenting their left-back Fox. The whole picture changed. We were dominating and Ward's impact was very significant. Waghorn won a free-kick and superbly scored from it. Sublime one. Tight angle and best free-kick from us I've seen for a while.

Sheffield Wed players' heads dropped and they were unable to rally themselves. There was no danger at all that they'd do what they had done back in November at Portman Road.

The key moment of the game? Without a doubt that was Ward coming on who himself injected a pace and movement into the dead midfield and my question is why he didn't start. Yes we won but this ought to have been comfortable win against the poor opposition. McCarthy made it hard and awkward by his decisions. Fortunately though he didn't settle for a point as Ward's arrival changed the game.

A few words about some players:

Waghorn was my MOTM for his goals and activity and there has to be a special praise for Sears as he kept their defenders busy and his contribution led to our first goal.

Hyam was useless and based on this I wouldn't like him to stay beyond this season. One good pass followed by 2-3 pointless ones. Rightly subbed as he offered nothing.

Webster? Him taking the ball out of defence had been a refreshing thing last season. Different player nowadays though as he switched into the Delaney or Smith mode and keeps hoofing.

Knudsen and Spence would try to improvise as wing-backs today but they failed particularly Spence.

Mick McCarthy? He's laughing at me and others who have been bemoaning his decisions. Yes he got the result tonight but the approach like this ain't a recipe for the long term success. Some games you win like tonight and some you don't (just like he tried to contain Burton at Portman Road). Once again why setting up to contain such hopeless and tired Sheffield Wed team?

Our abnormally good record at Hillsborough remains intact and that's the biggest positive from today.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:48 am

Town's impressive away form continued last night with a hard fought and somewhat cautious victory at Hillsborough to maintain our very impressive record at the venue, As team news filtered through an hour before kick off the general feeling was one of bemusement at what seemed a very defence minded line up, no Garner, Ward or Celina, instead a Midfield consisting of Skuse, Connolly and Hyam with the more defence minded Jordan Spence in at Right Wing back instead of the more attack minded Iorfa who it has to be said had looked much better in that role in recent games. It gave the feeling that it could well be one of those frustrating nights where we miss a golden chance to take advantage of a team in disarray.

The opening Twenty Five minutes did little to make us think our concerns were wrong as it was a case of Two poor teams struggling to create anything of note and intent on seeing who could punt it long and aimless the most. It had been Mustapha Carayol who had been the one to catch the eye in the opening minutes as a couple of times he picked up the ball and beat his man with relaitve ease again just as he did at Preston, Knudsen managed to get one decent cross into the box which had their keeper stretching to take off the heads of Two Town players at the back post. It was carayol again who teed up Waghorn but the strikers shot was well wide of the mark. Wednesday had offered little by way of an attacking force and Bart had not been tested in the opening exchanges. Midway throught the first half more bad luck was to come Town's way as the clearly limping Carayol made way for Freddie "he scores when he wants" Sears, again it was hardly an inspiring choice of sub at the time. Almost immediatley Town were close to going behind as Bart pulled off a worldy form the big lump Nuhiu who blasted his shot thankfully right at the big Pole but he reations were top notch and it was a cracking save, what was concerning was that again it came from a Webster error, there seems to be a fair few of them in recent games, none more so than at Norwich, and while our back Three is working well he is at times the weak link. Town managed to see out Wednesday's brief period of dominance with no more real chances and the Blue's got themselves back on top as the game neared HT, as bad as the opening Twenty minutes was we definitely improved in the second Quarter of the game, strangely it had coincided with Carayol going off, Sears had run the channels well and was causing them some problems, we were finding it hard to win the Midfield battle though as Hyam was having a mare and giving the ball away at will add to that is mistimed tackles etc and it was falling to Skuse to be our most effective Midfield player. Town ended the half with a couple of half chances from first Carter-Vickers and then Connolly, both shots blocked by defenders. It had been a pretty poor half in truth with little by the way of real quality, Two mediocre teams who seemed content with hoofing it long and aimless for the first Twenty minutes, for me we just about edged it but there was little in it.

The second half really had to be an improvement and after Five minutes is got better for Town as we took the lead, some good work from Sears saw his cross touched on by Callum Connolly and there was Waghorn to drive it home to end his Two month goal drought, the Town fans away at the Leppings Lane end erupted in to celebration, the feeling for me was that Wednesday had little in their armoury to trouble us and Three points were beckoning. Sheffield heads seemed to have gone down and we almost doubled our lead soon after, Connolly's header after being teed up by Skuse brilliantly saved by Wildsmith. It had been a really good spell for Town who were looking to put the game to bed with a second but we could not make that second breakthrough. It is so annoying but once again it appeared we suddenly stop doing what we had been during the second half and instead we start dropping off them and sitting back believing we are good enough to see it out, Joao who had replaced the woeful Jordan Rhodes at HT was their only real threat and once or twice he ran at the Town defence trying to make something happen, at the other end Town's Sears who had been lively went around the keeper after latching on to a through ball but took it too wide, his resultant cross saw a weak effort from Knudsen come to nothing. Moments later it was all square as that man Joao picked up the ball and drove forward, the hesitant Webster was all at sea and did himself no justice with some poor defending allowing the striker to get his composed shot away and passed a helpless Bart who it has to be said made no attempt to even move for it, may be a bit harsh on Bart but would like to see it again.

As it turned out their goal was the catalyst for us going on to win the game as Grant Ward came on for the p*ss poor Luke Hyam, at least it was a sign of trying to win the game and not settling for a point. Ward was soon in the thick of the action with one or Two runs which caused panic in the Sheffield rearguard. With time running out Town got themselves back in front from a freekick, Waghorn was fouled by the hopeless Fox who had been poor all night, the striker electing to take the kick himself and what a screamer it was, pace, procision and placement of the highest calibre, i'm sure you've all seen it, a strike worthy of winning any game but we still had Ten minutes to see out !!! The celebrations in the away fans end were long and loud, a great time to score. The remaining minutes were for once seen out with little drama to see Town pick up what was for me a deserved win in the end. It started slowly and and wasnt great in the opening Quarter but we slowly settled and while Wednesday are poor and in danger there was still a job to do. The back Three again looked pretty effective apart from One or Two moments, the Sheffield goal should certainly have been defended better but Bart had very few saves to make ohter than the the blinder he pulled off in the first half. The wing backs tried hard but Spence is not a WB and Iorfa for me is more suited to that role, in Midfield Skusey was solid as always while Connolly got an assist to his name, Hyam for me just has to go, Mick said he had a lot to do before earning a new contract, I would be surprised if one is ever forthcoming. losing Carayol seemed a blow at the time but Freddie Sears put in a good shift and was a handful while waghorn stole the show with his Two goals, the arrival of Grant Ward doenst usually fill me with excitement but credit where credit is due and well done MM for getting it right in the end, an away win can't be criticised too much but how much better would we be with a bit more belief and enterprise ?

Bart (7) Spence (6) Chambers (7) Carter-Vickers (7) Webster (5) Knudsen (6) Connolly (6) Skuse (7) Hyam (5) Carayol (6) Waghorn (8)

SUBS :- Sears (7) Ward (7)

It is a win which sees us into 12th place albeit with a game in hand on most and with a win in that one up to within Four points off the Play off places, Mick says we have no chance and many fans agree with him but that just isn't the case, Two home games coming up and wins in those will have us right in the mix against all the odds, all we can do is take One game at a time but despite everything that is wrong with ITFC right now it ain't over yet. Another satisfying away day for me although it could have been more assertive from us but we won so hard to be too critical. I still think if we played every game away from home we would be even beter placed, I have said all along our fans at home just do not help the team one bit and results seem to bare this out, those I see at away games definitely lift the players more and they are not running scared of making an error, had we not conceded in the dying seconds at Norwich it would now be Four away wins on the bounce and that takes some doing in any league. It isn't over just yet. COYB'S.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:18 pm

saint jude wrote:
marko69 wrote:Enlighten me at least please Saint. A Cena title defence?
I used to watch World Wrestling Entertainment and more often than not whenever there was a match involving John Cena as Champion, the aforementioned name would retain the belt. In the end it got somewhat repetitive.

Of course we realize it's all story lined with pre-determined outcomes but you'd view nonetheless in the hope that someone else could win. Cena is (or was) a huge fan-favorite so it would have been all set up to please the crowds particularly any kids in the front row with their Cena merchandise who don't know any different. Personally I'm more of a Randy Orton fan.
:shock: WTF are you on about Saint, wrestling with a Randy old git, if we're talking wrestling then Mick McManus, and Giant Haystacks, Big Daddy, spring to mind for the UK, BUT we aint so lets get back to the Footie

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 pm

With all due respect, Ash..... I asked!

Get back to boxing your Mick McCarthy punch bag. :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:46 pm

"Got somewhat repetitive" How f**king apt.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:50 pm

marko69 wrote:With all due respect, Ash..... I asked!

:mrgreen: OH YES as Churchill would say, meanwhile back in the Ash studios fresh from his 15 day break in the Maspalomas Sun, he says, on the remaining 11 games, can magical Mick produce 33 points to get us to 84 pts, with his team selection of defence tactics, :roll: NOPE not a F*****g chance, will MM be hear next season, I fooking hope not.

There Marco was that more like it :lol: :lol:

Grrrrrrrrr :x I'm trying to cut and paste my piccies from Maspalomas it wont work, I go to the photos right click cut then open this comment and click paste but fook all happens
Last edited by ashfordblue on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:49 pm

marko69 wrote:
WAGHORNY.....
Too far!!

PMSL ...but Marko the Town fans actually sing this !!! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:12 pm

ashfordblue wrote:

:mrgreen: OH YES as Churchill would say, meanwhile back in the Ash studios fresh from his 15 day break in the Maspalomas Sun, he says, on the remaining 11 games, can magical Mick produce 33 points to get us to 84 pts, with his team selection of defence tactics, :roll: NOPE not a F*****g chance, will MM be hear next season, I fooking hope not.

Definitely! That's the Ashford I'm used to anyway. Glad that Maspalomas Sun hasn't fried your brain and made you positive!

Would love to stay and chat, but must dash and google Maspalomas........ you feckin made that sh*t up eh?! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
marko69 wrote:
WAGHORNY.....
Too far!!

PMSL ...but Marko the Town fans actually sing this !!! :lol:
Please tell me there is not a dance to go with it?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Yer, BlueMike is awesome at it too !!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks for the write ups, Mach and Mike! Good reading, and a good win. Great to see Waggy scoring again! COYB!!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:

Definitely! That's the Ashford I'm used to anyway. Glad that Maspalomas Sun hasn't fried your brain and made you positive!

Would love to stay and chat, but must dash and google Maspalomas........ you feckin made that sh*t up eh?! :D
Grrrrrrrrrrrr I cant cut and paste my Maspalomas piccies as evidence to you Marco

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am

We stayed at the Maspalomas Palace Hotel for Christmas and New Year many years ago, by far the most memorable was the fabulous sand dune beaches and of course all the nudies on the beach, some more memorable than others. :lol:

But of course back on topic, many thanks for the reports boys, always appreciated.... even more so after a good result especially v Sheff Wednesday !.... banter with my Owl friends has been brilliant.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 am

Ash, :lol: ..., I do believe you were on hols, just never heard of this Microplasmopolos place!

Tell you what....... send me yer pics, I'll be sure to get them posted all over the 'tinternet! Trust me.

Marko@donttrustthatc*nt.com

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:50 am

marko69 wrote:Ash, :lol: ..., I do believe you were on hols, just never heard of this Microplasmopolos place!

Tell you what....... send me yer pics, I'll be sure to get them posted all over the 'tinternet! Trust me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:09 pm

marko69 wrote:Ash, :lol: ..., I do believe you were on hols, just never heard of this Microplasmopolos place!

:shock: Yeh Right plastered all over the Edinburgh web site :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:We stayed at the Maspalomas Palace Hotel for Christmas and New Year many years ago, by far the most memorable was the fabulous sand dune beaches and of course all the nudies on the beach, some more memorable than others. :lol:

Sand dunes are still there Charners, played a couple of games of golf at the Maspalomas GC, and one of the fairways runs along the side of the dunes, I thought F**K going in them 500 yard long bunkers :shock: nudies of all shapes and sizes are still there :astroll:

But of course back on topic, many thanks for the reports boys, always appreciated.... even more so after a good result especially v Sheff Wednesday !.... banter with my Owl friends has been brilliant.