Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Utd. Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Do the Sheffield Double this week?

Ipswich Win
40%
Sheff. Utd Win
No votes
Draw
60%

Total votes: 5

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Utd. Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:07 am

Image Ipswich Town vs Sheffield United Image

Saturday 10th March 2018 - 15:00

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Just like a nagging toothache this Ipswich Town team just will not go away, following another win on the road, this time at Sheffield Wednesday we still find ourselves very much on the cusp of the play off battle. To read all the opinions etc on social media sites you would think we are about to go down to League One, of course we all know our problems go much further than our current league position but it really is a bizarre situation we find ourselves in, so many things seem to be wrong and yet here we are on a pretty decent run of form, Two defeats in Nine is not too bad at all and those Two reversals were against Wolves & Cardiff who currently occupy the top Two places in the division so again it is hardly a disaster to lose to those sides, we are now unbeaten in our last Five away games, you have to go back to Fulham on the 2nd January to find our last defeat away from home (Thanks Jordan Spence).

The win at Hillsborough was deserved if not dominant, why oh why do we not have belief in ourselves to go with a much more attacking line up ? Of course there would be no guarantees of victory if we did so but Mick would have far more fans behind him than against him, we are told it is the football that matters and which is the issue although the cynic in me wonders what the mood would have been like Wednesday morning had we put in a Barcelona-esque performance and got beat ? I actually know the answer, as Mach said to me as we left Hillsborough Tuesday evening, it is ALL about the result and our celebrations at the final whistle backed that up, I don't buy this "we want pretty football" rather than a result one bit, of course it helps with the mindset of fans but they have short memories and when the wins are flowing the ill feeling subsides a bit. I made this point elsewhere, if by some miracle we did creep into the play offs the Leg at PR would see at the very least 20,000 fans attending the game, it does make me sick if I am honest as they would all come crawling back for a possible piece of glory, I accept that is the nature of the beast but it riles me so much.

The positives from Hillsborough were the return to goalscoring form of Martyn Waghorn, his brace sealed the win and his strike from the Freekick was nothing short of sublime, the back Three again stood firm for the most part and a good understanding is developing, that is now Nine games in a row where we have not conceded more than a solitary goal, the cameos from Grant Ward & Freddie Sears showed a marked improvement on so many of their respective performances this campaign and changed the game, although at the time it didn't feel that way. So there are definitely positives to take form the win even if it was bang average at best and at times of poor quality, especially the opening Twenty minutes, I actually remarked to someone stood near me that we seemed to have invented "Zonal Hoofing" such was the crap we witnessed in the opening Quarter of the game as our hoofing just kept going back to the same damn spot time after time.

We now have Two very important Home games in the space of Four days, Hull visit on Tuesday in the re-arranged fixture from last week but first up it is the other Sheffield side, this time United come to town, must be honest I can't stand them at all, horrible club and not particularly nice fans either. It's quite amusing really, the Blades are, according to the experts, still very much in with a shout of the play offs while we have no chance, and yet Two wins in these games will in all probability see us above them !! Someone tell he how that works please ? I think for us to have any chance at all we need to beat not only Sheff Utd but also Bristol City next weekend too, they are Two of our main rivals in the quest for Sixth place. One thing I do know is we have to be 100 times better than we were in the FA Cup tie against the Blades to stand any chance and I think we will be. As with the Sheffield Wednesday game my Heart says 2-1 to Town but my Head says 1-1 draw, thankfully my Heart won the day Tuesday evening, a repeat of that will do very nicely thank you very much. COYB'S

The Opposition – Sheffield United

Sheffield United formed on 22 March 1889 at the Adelphi Hotel, Sheffield (now the site of the Crucible Theatre) by the President of the Cricket Club Sir Charles Clegg.

The Wednesday had moved from Bramall Lane to their own ground at Olive Grove, and the tenants of Bramall Lane needed to create a new team to generate income. Sir Charles Clegg was incidentally also the president of The Wednesday.

Undoubtedly United's heyday was the 30-year period from 1895–1925, when they were champions of England in 1897–98 and runners up in 1896–97 and 1899–00, and FA Cup winners in 1899, 1902, 1915 and 1925, finishing runners up in 1901, and also eleven years after their cup final win in 1936. United have not won a trophy since 1925, bar those associated with promotion from lower-leagues, their best performances in the cup competitions being several semi-final appearances in the FA Cup and Football League Cup.

Their darkest days came between 1975 and 1981. After finishing sixth in the First Division at the end of the 1974–75 season, they were relegated to the Second Division the following season and three years after that setback they fell into the Third Division. They reached an absolute low in 1981 when they were relegated to the Fourth Division, but were champions in their first season in the league's basement division and two years afterwards they won promotion to the Second Division.

They did fall back into the Third Division in 1988, but new manager Dave Bassett masterminded a quick revival which launched the Blades towards one of the most successful eras in their history. Successive promotions in the aftermath of the 1988 relegation saw them return to the First Division in 1990 after a 14-year exile. They survived at this level for four seasons (being founder members of the new FA Premier League in 1992 after peaking with a ninth-place finish in the last season of the old First Division) and reached an FA Cup semi-final in the 1992–93 season before being relegated in 1994.

They would remain outside the top flight for the next 12 years, although they did qualify for the play-offs under Bassett's successor Howard Kendall in 1997 and caretaker manager Steve Thompson in 1998.

They were struggling at the wrong end of Division One when Neil Warnock was appointed manager in December 1999, and a financial crisis was preventing the club from being able to boost their squad, but in 2002–03 they enjoyed their most successful season for a decade, reaching the semi-finals of both domestic cups and also reaching the Division One play-off final, where they were beaten by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Three years later, however, Warnock delivered a Premier League return as the Blades finished runners-up in the rebranded Championship. They lasted just one season back amongst the elite, before being relegated from the Premier League amidst the controversy surrounding Carlos Tevez, the player who was controversially signed by West Ham United and whose performances played a big part in their remarkable escape from relegation. Neil Warnock resigned as manager after the Blades went down.

The club struggled to come to terms with life back in the Championship, with a spiralling wage bill not being matched by the quality of the players brought in, and a succession of managers within a short period of time. The Blades did reach the Championship playoff final in 2009 under Kevin Blackwell, but a period of decline then set in. The 2010–11 season proved disastrous, with the club employing three different managers in the space of a season, which ultimately ended in relegation to League One under Micky Adams, meaning they would play in the third tier of English football for the first time since 1989, and only five years after gaining promotion to the Premiership.

In the 2011–12 season, the club finished third in League One, narrowly missing out on automatic promotion to rivals Sheffield Wednesday, and entered the playoffs. With victory over Stevenage in the semi-final, United missed out on an immediate return to the Championship after suffering a penalty shootout defeat to Huddersfield Town. The Blades again made it to the League One playoffs in 2012–13 after a fifth-place finish, but were knocked out by eventual promotion winners Yeovil Town.

On 3 September 2013 it was confirmed that Saudi Prince Abdullah bin Musa'ed bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of the royal House of Saud had bought a 50% stake in United's parent company 'Blades Leisure Ltd' for the fee of £1 with the promise of providing "substantial new capital" with the aim of returning the Blades to the Premier League as "quickly as possible".

In 2014 the Blades began to be described by areas of the media as "giant-killers", having reached the FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley, losing 5–3 to Hull City.

In 2014–15 the team reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and semi-finals of the Football League Cup, and despite being eliminated they remained in contention for promotion to the Championship.

United secured promotion back to the second tier of English football in the 2016–17 season under the management of lifelong fan and former Blades player Chris Wilder.

The Manager – Chris Wilder

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 12th place with 51 points

10 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Burton Albion

18 Feb Norwich City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

21 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Cardiff City

24 Feb Preston 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

6 Mar Sheffield Wed 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

Sheffield United Last 5 Matches – Currently in 9th place with 55 points

10 Feb Sheffield Utd 2 - 1 Leeds Utd

20 Feb Sheffield Utd 2 - 1 QP Rangers

23 Feb Hull City 1 - 0 Sheffield Utd

27 Feb Reading 1 - 3 Sheffield Utd

6 Mar Fulham 3 - 0 Sheffield Utd

Fixtures of Interest that could influence Towns position on the table

MILLWALL VS BRENTFORD

READING VS LEEDS UTD

HULL CITY VS NORWICH

Match Referee – John Brooks

IPSWICH TOWN 2 SHEFFIELD UNITED 1

Dubai Blue

Re: Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Utd. Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am

Interesting to see that Sheff U recently lost to Hull too........

If we lose this one then even I will concede defeat on the playoffs this year. But if the right team shows up and the fans get behind it, then who knows.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:51 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Interesting to see that Sheff U recently lost to Hull too........

If we lose this one then even I will concede defeat on the playoffs this year. But if the right team shows up and the fans get behind it, then who knows.
That's buggered it then.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:36 pm

What fan? Seriously ....... these guys have dropped off a little so now could be the time to take 3 points off of them and do some damage to their playoff hopes and help what little hope there is for ours. Ipswich 2 Sheff Utd 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Mike, I have one particular uncle ..... "Oh, are Hibs in the semis? Get me a ticket!" Away an eat another 8 fudge donuts ya fat bstd!

Was quite confident about the away Wednesday game, but not so regarding this home game v United. Have voted the draw in this thread but have said 2-1 win in the PL.
No matter how Mick sets up, it'll be a good achievement to get the win.

Was also going to say hope its a decent 14K+ crowd, BUT........ hmmmm.

Combined caption:

Wilder: Watch this salute, pisses people off. I put this arm across my chest and my other arm I raise like.........
Ref: WOAH!!! STOP THERE! Just calm yerself down, FFS!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:36 am

Went with instinct and voted for a home team win although future regrets may be evident. That FA Cup garbage was disappointing a few weeks back but here at least is an opportunity to obtain further league points and maintain any last thoughts of a top six finish a reality.

Ipswich 3 Sheffield 2

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 am

Well this is the day for the fans to come back and support the team to the 95th minute if they really do care about the club. This has to be a win if there is going to be anything to play for. I can understand apathy from ST holders when there is nothing to play for, especially with the apparently prevailing attitudes. But when there is still very much a play off place within sensible reach, it's time to put aside the opinions and just get behind the club. Especially if the money has already been paid!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:57 am

marko69 wrote:Mike, I have one particular uncle ..... "Oh, are Hibs in the semis? Get me a ticket!" Away an eat another 8 fudge donuts ya fat bstd!

Was quite confident about the away Wednesday game, but not so regarding this home game v United. Have voted the draw in this thread but have said 2-1 win in the PL.
No matter how Mick sets up, it'll be a good achievement to get the win.

Was also going to say hope its a decent 14K+ crowd, BUT........ hmmmm.

Combined caption:

Wilder: Watch this salute, pisses people off. I put this arm across my chest and my other arm I raise like.........
Ref: WOAH!!! STOP THERE! Just calm yerself down, FFS!
The difference is Marko, I don't expect your uncle has walked away when things are tough, he is just a casual that likes the big occasion bandwagon ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Well this is the day for the fans to come back and support the team to the 95th minute if they really do care about the club. This has to be a win if there is going to be anything to play for. I can understand apathy from ST holders when there is nothing to play for, especially with the apparently prevailing attitudes. But when there is still very much a play off place within sensible reach, it's time to put aside the opinions and just get behind the club. Especially if the money has already been paid!
The legend that is Kevin Beattie agrees with you Dubai.
It’s time for the Ipswich Town fans to get behind their team as they bid to capitalise on a ‘glimmer of hope’ in their battle to make the Championship play-offs, according to Blues legend Kevin Beattie.

After successive away victories over Preston and Sheffield Wednesday, the Blues return to Suffolk soil on Saturday for a home clash with Sheffield United before the rearranged game with Hull City at Portman Road on Tuesday night.

The Blues sit seven points off the final play-off place going into the two home games, with Beattie hoping the two road wins and a restored belief within the playing squad will help them take the next step at Portman Road.

“Ahead of these two games (Sheffield Wednesday and United) I was thinking four points, but we’ve got the three at Wednesday and I fancy us in the next two home games,” Beattie, widely-considered to be the club’s greatest ever player, said.

“That result on Tuesday has given the lads faith again and there is a glimmer of hope there after those two results.

“Let’s just hope this can get the fans back in because they were two excellent results but now we have to do it at home.

“Hopefully that can be the start of getting the fans back, that’s the most important thing. Things are going well away from home but we have to get the fans back on side.

“It gets on my nerves when people are knocking Mick (McCarthy) all the time – they should give the guy a chance. OK, he’s been here a long time but he’s the one who picks the team and takes all the stick. The injuries have been hard and they don’t help, so let’s get back on track.

“He is going to be here until the end of the season without a doubt, so let’s get behind him now and that should help the players also.”

Tuesday’s night’s victory at Sheffield Wednesday was inspired by two Martyn Waghorn goals, with Beattie delighted to see the striker end a 15-game drought.

“Waggy scoring again after 15 games is fabulous and he’s now on 12 goals which is decent tally,” he said.

“Strikers are a funny breed, just like us defenders, and the longer they go on the harder it can be.

“They won’t lose faith in themselves if they’re not scoring because the boss wouldn’t play them if they did, but Mick has faith in Waggy and he proved why.”

“He has a great left foot and he showed that with the free-kick, it was superb.”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Yes, to be fair regarding the uncle, when they opened that second Greggs at the top of Easter Road, he physically couldn't go anymore.

On a more serious note, I do understand the "voting with feet" thing, (no gags about struggling to hold the pen between the toes) , but it's definitely something I couldn't personally do. With my luck, I'm the guy that will miss something HUGE! And believe me, with my buddies, it'd never be forgotten. I STILL get it to this day when I wasn't at the Chick Charnley 60 yarder back in the 90s.
"Awwww, aye, remember Charnleys screamer against St Mirren? You cannae Marko cos ye wurnae there!"

Could handle being on the receiving end of that ^^^ sh*t forever more!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 pm

We definitely owe these one, beaten twice this season, lets get into them and have a right go. Oh sorry forgot MM is in charge, 3 holding midfielders it is then. :roll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am

Town boss Mick McCarthy has urged the Portman Road crowd to get behind his side in what could prove to be crucial back-to-back home games against Sheffield United on Saturday and Hull City on Tuesday as the Blues, 12th, seven points off the top six, look to re-enter the play-off race.

“The home crowd can always give you an extra lift, of course,” McCarthy said. “I’ve always said at every club I’ve been at ‘Come and support the team’ because that’s what you’re doing essentially, you’re coming to support the team.

“And it helps if you get good support. And if it’s rubbish at the end, then boo by all means, I’m cool with that, never worried about that at all.

“At Sheffield Wednesday, what was there 22,000 there? And to be fair they were still trying to get their team going, trying to get them at it and we played well.

“So, yes, the home crowd is a big advantage if it’s partisan, noisy and they support the players.”

McCarthy, the subject of abusive chanting during games over the last couple of seasons, who many fans would like to see move on in the summer, has previously acknowledged that there is a symbiotic relationship between supporters and the team on the pitch, each lifting the other.

He added: “It’s our job to play well and to try and entertain [the fans] and win games but surely if I go anywhere, if I go to the pictures or to the theatre or to a game of football I go with the intention of enjoying it and supporting it.

“I keep saying, whatever happens here, they support this club, by doing it with their money first and foremost and then their support at the grounds. It makes a helluva a difference. You all know it does.

“Are you asking me the question because of certain reasons? I fully understand that but come and support the lads, come and get behind them, start it off, make it an atmosphere.

“Blooming heck, we went to Sheffield United and it was throbbing that place. And when we’ve had it here over the years, we’ve had it at some of the Tuesday night games I can remember looking back, Palace here when we beat them 3-0 and we were struggling then and we needed to get out of the relegation zone.

“Middlesbrough when we slapped them them down here and the place was rocking. So, I’d like to get it like that again because we all enjoy it more and, of course, the fans do as well.”

McCarthy says sometimes a particular incident in a game can spark an atmosphere.

“I went to Millwall against Cardiff and, to be fair, they were at it and partisan to start with.

“And then Shaun Hutchinson had a tackle on the big centre-half and it lifted the crowd after 20 minutes, it sparked them into life. And it sparked the team in to life. But it does help if you’ve got that support of the fans.

“What I would say is don’t come and not want to support the team. That’s a big difference.”

This article for me is 100% correct, whether you hate MM or not we go to support OUR CLUB, feelings towards any individual need putting on the back burner, if the team is playing well then great but if they aren't they need us even more !!! No bloody laboured attitude towards it, get behind them !!! It happens away and we've won Seven times !! These two games are massive and could just see us right up near the top Six so whatever we think about McCarthey, Evans, Milne or the bog cleaners lets do our job and SUPPORT the Boys in Blue !!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Team to start

Bialkowski, Iorfa, Vickers, Webster, Chambers, Gleeson, Kenlock, Skuse, Connolly, Waghorn, Celina

subs Spence, Ward, Garner, Hyam, Nydam, Sears, Crowe

Now underway, go to work.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 pm

As I wake from the hangover from hell, I see no comments during game time? Fk sake, was it that bad?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Didn’t go today so can’t comment on the performance.
All I will say is 2 goals scored in the last 8 home games is a f****** joke!
Ffs ITFC those people who still attend on a regular basis deserve more than this.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Gave the game a miss did not miss much ST holder too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Wait for Mikes report, but what have we to lose by not being more positive? . 3 defensive midfielders at home. We’re not getting relegated and we have a sniff of the playoffs, but we could also just go out there and try and entertain nd go for the win. It was set up not to lose. Just Waghorn and Celina to try and get something... and hope for a goal from a set piece. Yes a point against a decent side, but .... why not be more attacking at home.?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Don’t worry guys you did not miss a thing!Aimless hoofing and outplayed yet again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:27 pm

9 Defensive players and just 2 attackers in the side today says all you need to know about McCarthy’s approach to today’s home game. It was f**king dire -AGAIN!

I really want to like McCarthy and support him. But I just can’t find anything positive to say about the man now.

Everything feels stale and so boring and predictable at the Club these days . SOMETHING has got to change this summer.

I just don’t get his tactics at home. The man seems afraid to attack opponents. His ethos is
“ don’t lose, and nick a win if possible” . His aim for every game seems to be to stifle the opposition, sit back and absorb whatever they can throw at us, and punt s few long balls forward in the hope the lone striker can make something of it. It’s so utterly DULL, predictable and energy sapping to watch.

If you suffer from insomnia- get down to PR , your problem will evaporate by half time - guaranteed!

God help ITFC if Evans gives McCarthy another 2year contract . But I have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that that I’d exactly what he is about to do.
15,000 was the announced attendance. If you believe that you’ll believe anything .

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Thought we were ok first half but lacked a threat. Second half was a joke, we were hopeless and were lucky to get a point in the end. 8 hours of football at home without a goal, just 2 at home in last 8, 1 win in 8 at PR too. Nobody can blame fans today as I heard no negative chants or booing

Funny enough mick said in post match interview fans were brilliant and perhaps we have come to realise we’ve had a good season. No mick the fans did what you asked of them and in return you gave us a completely boring performance set up for a 0-0 in a game we HAD to win. Why didn’t we just go for it today? A point is meaningless and we will never know if we could have beaten them. They had lost 3 of last 4 away games including 3-0 in last match to Fulham. Do you think Fulham went into the match with the same mentality as us?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Sound dire. Waiting for Bluemikes report but not expecting many positives.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Two points wasted, bottom line. Don't know what it is with the home form lately but can remember a time when Portman Road was something of a formidable venue for opposing teams - not any more.

McCarthy once again did himself no favors with some absurd analysis on what - or what didn't occur - out there today such as labeling both teams as enterprising and quote : "giving it their all" (?)

What f**king planet is this individual orbiting, he even went as far to admit it was something of a point well earned and another to add to the collection. Sure he gets his plaudits and moments of recognition but often enough McCarthy couldn't locate Megan Avalon in a one-person tent - furthermore those belligerent words after the game will only emphasize further animosity from the fanbase.

Tangible opportunity missed today to close in on the top six, wasted and abused by players and manager who couldn't move their collective asses to make the effort. Good enough when we raise our game to provide ourselves a chance but those instances are regrettably too few and too far between in order to realistically challenge.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:13 am

Did someone wake up Bluemike at the final whistle.....?
No report maybe he his still asleep at PR I Will pop down and check.... :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 am

Haha, sorry for the delay guys but the company of a beautiful Female definitely took priority last night !!! I will try to remember as much as I can LOl....the football that is !!

My view on the game was ultimately one of disappointment, a chance missed maybe, a too cautious approach at home once again when maybe we needed to rip into them and really go for it. A line up including Three holding Midfielders filled me with frustration I have to say, I have no issue at all with Skuse & Connolly but to throw a Gleeson or Hyam in there too is crazy for a game that we really needed to win, Grant Ward who did quite well through the middle earlier in the season should maybe have got the nod, personally I would have gone with Joe Garner up front with Waghorn and Celina playing behind them.

It was Bart who was in action in the opening minutes of the game as twice he had to make pretty routine saves from a couple of Utd efforts, they were more catches in truth. It wasn't long before Town had their first sight of the Sheffield goal and it was young Kenlock who set the move off with a sublime pass through to Waghorn, the timing and weight of the ball was inch perfect from the young LB, I couldn't help but think back to the Norwich game and if Knudsen was able to play a ball of that quality we would have won 2-0 at Carrow Road, food for thought, anyway from the resultant cross from waghorn a defender nipped in first to clear to safety before a Town player could latch on to it. Waghorn who had started brightly was causing the defence problems and he drew an early yellow card for Stearman who was forced to drag the striker down when he looked set to get free. From the freekick we nearly took the lead, Waghorn sent the ball into the box and there was Iorfa at the far post to meet it with a header which was well saved by Blackman in the Sheffield goal, it had been a lively start by Town who had got themselves on top.

Half chances continues to arrive at both ends but our bright start had kinda fizzled out as the visitors looked to get far more into the game, Billy Sharp was close to giving the Blades the lead but his flick over Bart went too wide as he tried to run on to his own pass and with Chambers in attendance the danger was averted. A few Town players had had decent halves , Iorfa had kept their left sided player in check and had the measure of him, he had also got forward well at times, Carter-Vickers and Chambers again looked solid, in the centre Skuse was again the stand out performer doing all the stuff we know he does, Kenlock had been fairly solid and did little wrong, Waghorn was proving a thorn in their side, on the downside Gleeson was having a poor day and a couple of times gave the ball away which could have resulted in real danger, playing Celina up front just wasn't working for me, he had been quiet and what he had done was very poor, time after time he gave the ball away and he really looked lost in the headlights for much of the half, at the back Adam Webster continues to worry me, he has lost so much of his ability on the ball and his confidence just looks shaky, don't get me wrong at times he still defends well but if there is an error waiting to happen in the back line it will come from him. The first half ended with Celina having a pop at goal which flew well wide.

By and large we hadn't done too bad and although being level was the right result I think we just about edged the half without being spectacular, however the longer the half had gone on the more Sheff Utd were coming in to it and they were definitely a danger on the break, we just needed to be more of a threat up top and Waghorn definitely needed more help than he was getting from Celina, they were often just so far apart that waggy was getting isolated.

The teams came out for the second half with Jordan Spence coming on for the injured Dominic Iorfa who had apparently picked up a Thigh strain, this was a shame because I felt he had done pretty well and had controlled that side without too much trouble. The second half started much like the first with the visitors having an early pop at goal which Bart again dealt with well, but moments later we got away with one as they really should have scored, not sure who it was but a Blades player was through on goal but shose to pass it across the box when shooting looked like a goal all the way, thankfully Chambers got back to bundle it away before Evans could get a shot in, it was let off for sure. At the other end Celina finally had a decent effort at goal which Blackman palmed away for a corner, it was going wide in any case but it wasn't a bad effort, not long after an uncharacteristic marauding run from Skusey saw him nip in to disposses a defender before advancing towards goal with Waghorn in space however his final ball was not there and a great opening was wasted.

Sheffield were looking the stronger as the game moved on and we were crying out for Garner to come on as it wasn't working at all up front,, Spence was having a mare and the sub was being caught out several times, he just looked so laboured and slow like he was on the park with his kids, where Iorfa had been in control we were now being exposed down that side all too often. Gleeson twice more gave the ball away in dangerous situatuions and he too wasn't helping our cause at all while Connolly was just drifting out of the game. Finally we did make a change, Bloody Hyam for Connolly was not what I was wanting or expecting, I think it was a sign of keep hold of what we have instead of lets go win this game !!! We really had struggled in what was a poor second half to gain any kind of control and if anything it was Sheffield that looked like they may nick it and with the game nearing the final Ten minutes they almost did just that courtasy of a long range strike from sub Wilson who's shot beat Bart all ends uf before crashing back off the post, the rebound fell to Sharp who surely to god had to score, incredibly he sent his effort flying over the bar, incredible miss.

Finally with ten bloody minutes left we saw Garner join the action but it was too little too late, Half time sub Spence was rightly subbed off as he had been dire, he won't be happy with the indignation of it but trust me it was 100% the right decision. There was little by way of goal threat as the Two teams saw the game out to the final whistle. For me I thought we paid them too much respect and yet again we were way too cautious with our line up at home, we needed more drive and flair on the pitch and playing Celina in the role he did was a wrong choice, I really am no fan of Freddie sears but it was an ideal chance for him yesterday, just off the main striker and coming on the back of a good perfornace by him at Hillsborough, instead Mm goes with a winger ? I just don't get it and for those who think Celina should play every game think again, not because he struggled up front but his passing was woeful all game, basic stuff which he struggled with. MOTM for me was Carter-Vickers who again at times oozed class with his reading of the game.

I think it is easy to be over critical at the end result and performance but we do have to put in context that Sheff Utd are no mugs, a decent team that have been in the top Six all season and who still have much to play for themselves, in other circumstances this would be deemed a decent point but we needed more and we held back from attacking them yet again, that is Four games at home now without a goal, that says everything, unless garner is not 100% fit I see no sense in having him on the bench yesterday at all. Ok we won't know how good a point this is until the next Two or Three games are played but I feel we needed all Three points, I think it leaves us not only needing to beat Hull Tuesday but also having to win at Bristol City too, possible yes but far from easy.

Bart (6) Iorfa (7) Webster (5) Chambers (6) Carter-Vickers (7) Kenlock (6) Gleeson (5) Connolly (5) Skuse (7) Celina (5) Waghorn (7)

SUBS Spence (3) Hyam (5) Garner (6)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:28 am

Anyone googled Megan Avalon yet? That's not good on the search history! Jaysus H, Saint...... a porn warning attached maybe? :lol:

Thanks for the report. A grand summing up would be that it certainly sounded like a proper snoozer! Massive positive is Iorfa getting the 7pts and a good report card. Hope he continues with that form.

My advice to ITFC fans......., just get along to Portman Road on Tuesday night and just enjoy the night, forget the play-offs. I wish the players and McCarthy would also relax a bit and forget the play-offs. Let the nerves slide on by and both players/fans just enjoy it -----> it'll be 4-0 ITFC.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:Haha, sorry for the delay guys but the company of a beautiful Female definitely took priority last night !!! I will try to remember as much as I can LOl....the football that is !!

My view on the game was ultimately one of disappointment, a chance missed maybe, a too cautious approach at home once again when maybe we needed to rip into them and really go for it. A line up including Three holding Midfielders filled me with frustration I have to say, I have no issue at all with Skuse & Connolly but to throw a Gleeson or Hyam in there too is crazy for a game that we really needed to win, Grant Ward who did quite well through the middle earlier in the season should maybe have got the nod, personally I would have gone with Joe Garner up front with Waghorn and Celina playing behind them.

It was Bart who was in action in the opening minutes of the game as twice he had to make pretty routine saves from a couple of Utd efforts, they were more catches in truth. It wasn't long before Town had their first sight of the Sheffield goal and it was young Kenlock who set the move off with a sublime pass through to Waghorn, the timing and weight of the ball was inch perfect from the young LB, I couldn't help but think back to the Norwich game and if Knudsen was able to play a ball of that quality we would have won 2-0 at Carrow Road, food for thought, anyway from the resultant cross from waghorn a defender nipped in first to clear to safety before a Town player could latch on to it. Waghorn who had started brightly was causing the defence problems and he drew an early yellow card for Stearman who was forced to drag the striker down when he looked set to get free. From the freekick we nearly took the lead, Waghorn sent the ball into the box and there was Iorfa at the far post to meet it with a header which was well saved by Blackman in the Sheffield goal, it had been a lively start by Town who had got themselves on top.

Half chances continues to arrive at both ends but our bright start had kinda fizzled out as the visitors looked to get far more into the game, Billy Sharp was close to giving the Blades the lead but his flick over Bart went too wide as he tried to run on to his own pass and with Chambers in attendance the danger was averted. A few Town players had had decent halves , Iorfa had kept their left sided player in check and had the measure of him, he had also got forward well at times, Carter-Vickers and Chambers again looked solid, in the centre Skuse was again the stand out performer doing all the stuff we know he does, Kenlock had been fairly solid and did little wrong, Waghorn was proving a thorn in their side, on the downside Gleeson was having a poor day and a couple of times gave the ball away which could have resulted in real danger, playing Celina up front just wasn't working for me, he had been quiet and what he had done was very poor, time after time he gave the ball away and he really looked lost in the headlights for much of the half, at the back Adam Webster continues to worry me, he has lost so much of his ability on the ball and his confidence just looks shaky, don't get me wrong at times he still defends well but if there is an error waiting to happen in the back line it will come from him. The first half ended with Celina having a pop at goal which flew well wide.

By and large we hadn't done too bad and although being level was the right result I think we just about edged the half without being spectacular, however the longer the half had gone on the more Sheff Utd were coming in to it and they were definitely a danger on the break, we just needed to be more of a threat up top and Waghorn definitely needed more help than he was getting from Celina, they were often just so far apart that waggy was getting isolated.

The teams came out for the second half with Jordan Spence coming on for the injured Dominic Iorfa who had apparently picked up a Thigh strain, this was a shame because I felt he had done pretty well and had controlled that side without too much trouble. The second half started much like the first with the visitors having an early pop at goal which Bart again dealt with well, but moments later we got away with one as they really should have scored, not sure who it was but a Blades player was through on goal but shose to pass it across the box when shooting looked like a goal all the way, thankfully Chambers got back to bundle it away before Evans could get a shot in, it was let off for sure. At the other end Celina finally had a decent effort at goal which Blackman palmed away for a corner, it was going wide in any case but it wasn't a bad effort, not long after an uncharacteristic marauding run from Skusey saw him nip in to disposses a defender before advancing towards goal with Waghorn in space however his final ball was not there and a great opening was wasted.

Sheffield were looking the stronger as the game moved on and we were crying out for Garner to come on as it wasn't working at all up front,, Spence was having a mare and the sub was being caught out several times, he just looked so laboured and slow like he was on the park with his kids, where Iorfa had been in control we were now being exposed down that side all too often. Gleeson twice more gave the ball away in dangerous situatuions and he too wasn't helping our cause at all while Connolly was just drifting out of the game. Finally we did make a change, Bloody Hyam for Connolly was not what I was wanting or expecting, I think it was a sign of keep hold of what we have instead of lets go win this game !!! We really had struggled in what was a poor second half to gain any kind of control and if anything it was Sheffield that looked like they may nick it and with the game nearing the final Ten minutes they almost did just that courtasy of a long range strike from sub Wilson who's shot beat Bart all ends uf before crashing back off the post, the rebound fell to Sharp who surely to god had to score, incredibly he sent his effort flying over the bar, incredible miss.

Finally with ten bloody minutes left we saw Garner join the action but it was too little too late, Half time sub Spence was rightly subbed off as he had been dire, he won't be happy with the indignation of it but trust me it was 100% the right decision. There was little by way of goal threat as the Two teams saw the game out to the final whistle. For me I thought we paid them too much respect and yet again we were way too cautious with our line up at home, we needed more drive and flair on the pitch and playing Celina in the role he did was a wrong choice, I really am no fan of Freddie sears but it was an ideal chance for him yesterday, just off the main striker and coming on the back of a good perfornace by him at Hillsborough, instead Mm goes with a winger ? I just don't get it and for those who think Celina should play every game think again, not because he struggled up front but his passing was woeful all game, basic stuff which he struggled with. MOTM for me was Carter-Vickers who again at times oozed class with his reading of the game.

I think it is easy to be over critical at the end result and performance but we do have to put in context that Sheff Utd are no mugs, a decent team that have been in the top Six all season and who still have much to play for themselves, in other circumstances this would be deemed a decent point but we needed more and we held back from attacking them yet again, that is Four games at home now without a goal, that says everything, unless garner is not 100% fit I see no sense in having him on the bench yesterday at all. Ok we won't know how good a point this is until the next Two or Three games are played but I feel we needed all Three points, I think it leaves us not only needing to beat Hull Tuesday but also having to win at Bristol City too, possible yes but far from easy.

Bart (6) Iorfa (7) Webster (5) Chambers (6) Carter-Vickers (7) Kenlock (6) Gleeson (5) Connolly (5) Skuse (7) Celina (5) Waghorn (7)

I did not know Stevie Wonder had a sister!! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:43 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Haha, sorry for the delay guys but the company of a beautiful Female definitely took priority last night !!! I will try to remember as much as I can LOl....the football that is !!

I did not know Stevie Wonder had a sister!! :lol:
Haha very good, I think she played for us yesterday !!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 pm

:shock: Mick states on TWTD that he does not field a team to be intentionally defensive, :roll: Yeh Right, 4 home games no goals and a defensive line up, not going to do the seasons ticket sales any good though Mick, Milne says there's good news for the season tick holders,??? will be very interesting reading, they could near half the price of which they wont of course, and they wont sell if Mick's still in charge with boring team selections, and far more importantly Marcus Evans lack of true investment, in allowing the manager to be building a promotion chasing squad, so I think it will be more of the same next season, :oops: BUT with gates down to around 11000 mark or lower, and the fans will stay away and rightly so, been taken for mugs long enough.