Callum Connolly

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Callum Connolly

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

Everton youngster Callum Connolly has admitted that he feels let down by the club and cites a lack of support by the Merseysiders since he moved to Ipswich Town on a season-long loan last summer.

The 20-year-old has impressed at the Championship side as the lynchpin in the centre of midfield making 24 appearances across all competitions and scoring three goals having originally been drafted in as a defender.

Connolly revealed his surprise at what he feels has been a lack of contact and support by Everton during this season and aired his feelings in an interview with local Suffolk media.

”I’ve had contact with Everton, but not as much as I expected,” he said in quotes in the Ipswich Star.

”I think they’ve just let me get on with my football, there hasn’t been as much support as I’ve wanted to be honest, but obviously it’s a man’s game and I’m learning the game on my own.

”When there are not that many people around you supporting you it can be tough, but that’s when you come into your own, I feel like I am growing up.”

The Everton midfielder also would not rule out the possibility of making his stay at Ipswich a permanent one and again he opened up on this.

”There is always a possibility in football. Anything can happen, let’s see what happens between now and the end of the season,” he said.

”Obviously I’m enjoying my football at Ipswich Town and I’ve been made to feel at home here, even though it is a long way from home.

”The ultimate aim is to play in the Premier League, whether that is with Everton or somewhere else, that’s what I’m working towards.”

Connolly will be in contention for a starting spot again on Saturday when Ipswich entertain Sheffield United at Portman Road with the side seven points off the playoff spots with 10 games left.
I would love for us to sign Callum Connolly on a permanent basis, apart from a couple of games he has really impressed me and although he is primarily played as a holding Midfielder he brings much more to the team, his three goals show he has a goal threat, in fact he should have got a Fourth with his header at Sheff Wed Tuesday evening, I also think he has had a positive effect on Cole Skuse's game as Skusey has been in pretty good form of late.

Connolly certainly hasn't held back with his thoughts on Everton and how he feels let down, that looks to me like they aren't overly bothered about keeping him and with any luck we could be in pole position to nab him, has everyone else been nimpressed with him and would you welcome this signing ? The very fact Connolly is primarily a Defender and who came here as just that shows that playing out of position does not necessarily have to impact on your game, you have to knuckle down, be versatile and adjust and want it to work, perhaps he should talk to Freddie Sears who always gets the sympathy vote for being out of his natural position, if you aren't versatile these days there is no place for you in the game, after all Waghorn, Chambers, Knudsen, Spence, Iorfa etc etc can all join Connolly in being played out of position at some time or another and they all just get on with it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Callum Connolly

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am

Good post Mike and very interesting especially to those of us living away from Ipswich and who miss stuff on local media.

I’d love to see Callum Connelly stay at Portman Road and think it would be an excellent move for both parties. The only reason I think it unlikely to happen is the distance between Liverpool and Ipswich and he made reference to this in his interview. Much will depend on how much time he spends in Ipswich, where he spends his spare time, and whether or not he lives on his own or with a partner.

Unfortunately if he becomes available which is highly likely, there will be lots of interest from other clubs closer to home and this could be barrier. However on the plus side, better the club he knows and this could work in our favour, as could McCarthy’s decision on whether he stays or goes.

Whatever the outcome Callum Connelly has been an excellent loan signing, done well for our club, has a great attitude and deserves to do well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am

Don't know if you saw this interview with Connolly Andy ?
Connolly, a member of the England squad that won the FIFA U20 World Cup last summer, believes his temporary switch to Portman Road has been a significant step in the right direction, although he still doesn’t know where his future might lie.

Under contract at Everton until 2019, he was asked about the possibility of signing permanently for Ipswich and replied: “One thing I’ve learned is that anything can happen in football and you can’t rule out any possibility. Right now, I don’t know what is going to happen at the end of the season.

“But if Ipswich wanted me and Everton were prepared to let me move on I wouldn’t rule it out. I’m a very long way from home in Ipswich but the longer I’m here the more at home I feel.

“For now, though, it’s just about enjoying my football and pushing the boundaries to be the best I can be.

“I’ve had contact with Everton and I want to kick on between now and the end of the season, and then see what happens. I suppose anything can happen.

“I haven’t heard a great deal from the Everton end. I think they are just letting me play and gain experience.

“I’m in a man’s world now and learning the game on my own. I suppose you could call it character building as much as anything else because I haven’t got my family around me and I’m not speaking to Everton people all the time, which I would be if I was at Goodison.

“It can be tough in a way but being here at Ipswich is helping me as a player and a person. I feel I’m developing as a player and growing up as a person at the same time.

“It’s not easy when you move a long way from home. I can’t just nip home because it’s four and a half or five hours in the car, so I haven’t been home much at all.

“But I feel this is a move I needed to make in my career, coming out of my comfort zone if you like.

“I’m pushing the boundaries and I won’t deny it’s been tough at times. At the same time, though, I’m relishing it and I feel the effect it has had has been positive.

“I’m playing regularly and I’m enjoying it, but you need to get the balance right with what you do on and off the pitch.

“It’s just about being professional so I make sure I eat well and sleep well, and I prepare properly for all the games.

“I take it very seriously and some of the other lads have commented about how I seem to have an old head on young shoulders. To be fair, I think that might be because I prefer the music from the 80s and 90s!

“Seriously, though, I see all the stuff you do off the pitch as an important part of being a footballer.

“I’m sure there are plenty of lads out there who would tell you it’s tough, especially when you are playing Saturday and Tuesday a lot of the time, but if you’re a footballer you want to be fully involved like that and play as many games as you can.

“Anyway, all players prefer playing to training so two or three games a week is fine by me.

“I am learning from the players around me and my aim is still to play in the Premier League, whether it’s with Everton or another club. That’s what I am working towards in the future.

“I want to make every game count, put in the best performances I can and be a better player for the experience I am gaining all the time I’m here.”

Connolly praised midfield partner Cole Skuse for his influence but has ignored his vastly more experienced colleague’s advice to change his hairstyle, Town’s vice-captain claiming earlier in the season: “I’ve told him umpteen times to get his hair cut – that fringe is horrendous.”

But the young Liverpudlian laughed: “I’m setting my own standards with my hair. I know it needs work but I’m looking to set my own trend.

“I took Skusey’s remarks on the chin – it’s just banter but it’s also an important part of being a footballer. I love all that to be fair.”

Skuse will be making his 200th appearance for Town at Hillsborough tomorrow and Connolly added: “He’s a very experienced player and a good lad off the pitch as well. I get on well with him. He has a real presence in the team and while he’s been around football a long time I’m still learning the game.

“I’m learning from him, both in games and in training when I’m picking up little bits and pieces all the time. But he’s wasting his time trying to get me to change my hair.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 pm

He’s clearly feeling left to his own devices by Everton. It may even be dawning on him that he might not have a Future at his home club?

Problem is I very much doubt we could afford him , based on the funding levels given by Evans.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 pm

id really like to sign him, good age, showed promise and has a hunger to succeed. I like that he is outing Everton aswell in not paying him enough potential, it shows to me he wants to do well and progress and hes frustrated that his parent club aren't showing the same enthusiasm.

Maybe he will want to see what happens with management at Ipswich, perhaps if Mick stays it may help Calum decide to stay, he is developing under him and I agree with Mike that he helps Skuse. I think there improvements to make but id be more than happy to get him on a permanent deal. If it cost us £1.5-2m I think it could be a worthwhile investment given his age. lets not forget hes played a lot of games and not been injured much which is a good sign too.

Its down to Evans ultimately, but getting him in with a couple of other new players would be a good bit of business. Of course Mick may look at it and think with Huws, Adeyemi, Downes back in the squad (If all stay fit) he may want to use money to buy in different areas. But if we could swap Hyam for Connolly on a perm basis its a no brainer for me...

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Everton youngster Callum Connolly has admitted that he feels let down by the club and cites a lack of support by the Merseysiders since he moved to Ipswich Town on a season-long loan last summer.

The 20-year-old has impressed at the Championship side as the lynchpin in the centre of midfield making 24 appearances across all competitions and scoring three goals having originally been drafted in as a defender.

Connolly revealed his surprise at what he feels has been a lack of contact and support by Everton during this season and aired his feelings in an interview with local Suffolk media.

”I’ve had contact with Everton, but not as much as I expected,” he said in quotes in the Ipswich Star.

”I think they’ve just let me get on with my football, there hasn’t been as much support as I’ve wanted to be honest, but obviously it’s a man’s game and I’m learning the game on my own.

”When there are not that many people around you supporting you it can be tough, but that’s when you come into your own, I feel like I am growing up.”

The Everton midfielder also would not rule out the possibility of making his stay at Ipswich a permanent one and again he opened up on this.

”There is always a possibility in football. Anything can happen, let’s see what happens between now and the end of the season,” he said.

”Obviously I’m enjoying my football at Ipswich Town and I’ve been made to feel at home here, even though it is a long way from home.

”The ultimate aim is to play in the Premier League, whether that is with Everton or somewhere else, that’s what I’m working towards.”

Connolly will be in contention for a starting spot again on Saturday when Ipswich entertain Sheffield United at Portman Road with the side seven points off the playoff spots with 10 games left.
I would love for us to sign Callum Connolly on a permanent basis, apart from a couple of games he has really impressed me and although he is primarily played as a holding Midfielder he brings much more to the team, his three goals show he has a goal threat, in fact he should have got a Fourth with his header at Sheff Wed Tuesday evening, I also think he has had a positive effect on Cole Skuse's game as Skusey has been in pretty good form of late.

Connolly certainly hasn't held back with his thoughts on Everton and how he feels let down, that looks to me like they aren't overly bothered about keeping him and with any luck we could be in pole position to nab him, has everyone else been nimpressed with him and would you welcome this signing ? The very fact Connolly is primarily a Defender and who came here as just that shows that playing out of position does not necessarily have to impact on your game, you have to knuckle down, be versatile and adjust and want it to work, perhaps he should talk to Freddie Sears who always gets the sympathy vote for being out of his natural position, if you aren't versatile these days there is no place for you in the game, after all Waghorn, Chambers, Knudsen, Spence, Iorfa etc etc can all join Connolly in being played out of position at some time or another and they all just get on with it.
He would cost at least 3 million, so don't think it will happen.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Unfortunately Derick I tend to agree but the day will come when we have NO CHOICE but to invest or we will struggle to compete even at the level we are now.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 am

Connolly is the type of player we need to take us forward. Can’t help but feel he will be outside our budget and probably head towards a club with resources like Derby. This is the flip side of getting quality loanees like Connolly.... our club puts them in the shop window and we don’t see the long term benefits. Carter Vickers also... he’s added to the team, but he’ll have to be replaced next season.

It would be great if we could get him, but can’t see us raising the cash. With Skuse tied down for a couple of extra years there’s only so many CM positions available. With Downes back next season hopefully he can take over from Connolly.

Much as I appreciate good loan players ( and short term contract players )it feels like a temporary fix. Integrating youth players into the team is a way of breaking this cycle, so I hope our youngsters out on loan can come back and force their way into the side- meaning less reliance on loanees.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 am

I do think the plan was to see Dozzell blossom this season but we all know what happened there, I think he would have been a pivotal player this season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:Don't know if you saw this interview with Connolly Andy ?
Connolly, a member of the England squad that won the FIFA U20 World Cup last summer, believes his temporary switch to Portman Road has been a significant step in the right direction, although he still doesn’t know where his future might lie.

Under contract at Everton until 2019, he was asked about the possibility of signing permanently for Ipswich and replied: “One thing I’ve learned is that anything can happen in football and you can’t rule out any possibility. Right now, I don’t know what is going to happen at the end of the season.

“But if Ipswich wanted me and Everton were prepared to let me move on I wouldn’t rule it out. I’m a very long way from home in Ipswich but the longer I’m here the more at home I feel.

“For now, though, it’s just about enjoying my football and pushing the boundaries to be the best I can be.

“I’ve had contact with Everton and I want to kick on between now and the end of the season, and then see what happens. I suppose anything can happen.

“I haven’t heard a great deal from the Everton end. I think they are just letting me play and gain experience.

“I’m in a man’s world now and learning the game on my own. I suppose you could call it character building as much as anything else because I haven’t got my family around me and I’m not speaking to Everton people all the time, which I would be if I was at Goodison.

“It can be tough in a way but being here at Ipswich is helping me as a player and a person. I feel I’m developing as a player and growing up as a person at the same time.

“It’s not easy when you move a long way from home. I can’t just nip home because it’s four and a half or five hours in the car, so I haven’t been home much at all.

“But I feel this is a move I needed to make in my career, coming out of my comfort zone if you like.

“I’m pushing the boundaries and I won’t deny it’s been tough at times. At the same time, though, I’m relishing it and I feel the effect it has had has been positive.

“I’m playing regularly and I’m enjoying it, but you need to get the balance right with what you do on and off the pitch.

“It’s just about being professional so I make sure I eat well and sleep well, and I prepare properly for all the games.

“I take it very seriously and some of the other lads have commented about how I seem to have an old head on young shoulders. To be fair, I think that might be because I prefer the music from the 80s and 90s!

“Seriously, though, I see all the stuff you do off the pitch as an important part of being a footballer.

“I’m sure there are plenty of lads out there who would tell you it’s tough, especially when you are playing Saturday and Tuesday a lot of the time, but if you’re a footballer you want to be fully involved like that and play as many games as you can.

“Anyway, all players prefer playing to training so two or three games a week is fine by me.

“I am learning from the players around me and my aim is still to play in the Premier League, whether it’s with Everton or another club. That’s what I am working towards in the future.

“I want to make every game count, put in the best performances I can and be a better player for the experience I am gaining all the time I’m here.”

Connolly praised midfield partner Cole Skuse for his influence but has ignored his vastly more experienced colleague’s advice to change his hairstyle, Town’s vice-captain claiming earlier in the season: “I’ve told him umpteen times to get his hair cut – that fringe is horrendous.”

But the young Liverpudlian laughed: “I’m setting my own standards with my hair. I know it needs work but I’m looking to set my own trend.

“I took Skusey’s remarks on the chin – it’s just banter but it’s also an important part of being a footballer. I love all that to be fair.”

Skuse will be making his 200th appearance for Town at Hillsborough tomorrow and Connolly added: “He’s a very experienced player and a good lad off the pitch as well. I get on well with him. He has a real presence in the team and while he’s been around football a long time I’m still learning the game.

“I’m learning from him, both in games and in training when I’m picking up little bits and pieces all the time. But he’s wasting his time trying to get me to change my hair.”

Many thanks Mike, a very interesting interview, the lad deserves to do well taking his chance way outside his comfort zone.