Bristol City v Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Do you give us any chance?

Bristol City Win
55%
Ipswich Town Win
18%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 11

Frosty
Forum Owner

Bristol City v Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 am

Image Bristol City v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 17th March 2018 – 15:00

Ashton Gate - 15:00

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

Week after week I turn up at Portman Road and week after week I leave believing that is the last straw, Mick can't stay after that. Never have I been more convinced that he would be gone than I was Tuesday Evening as I trudged out of a hostile Portman Road having witnessed another home shambles, the abuse hurled at Mick and at times the players was the worst it has ever been, while most of it was aimed in the gaffers direction it is the first time in a while I can remember players being on the receiving end of such treatment. Whatever we feel at the time I think this does take it a step too far although such was my anger Tuesday I do get how you are dragged along with it when the heat of the moment takes over. One thing I will say is that Mick is spot on in his interview today where the treatment of Trystan Nydam is concerned, this is a kid, one of our future players with any luck and for him to be jeered and booed etc was for me plain wrong, it is about as counter productive as you can get and whille those responsible are morons of the highest order it still hits home to the player in question, the boy has done nothing wrong all season when he has played and is learning his trade, we need to be very careful here, players are not fools and word will soon get about that this is not a good place to come to play football, Celina, Carter-Vickers, Connolly, Iorfa, Gleeson and Carayol will all think twice and will also be sharing their thoughts with their teammates at their own clubs, it can spread very rapidly. If we persist in wanting to dish it out we have to be prepared to face the consequences.

I cannot for the life of me understand whay Mick was thinking on Tuesday, Waghorn, Connolly and Webster on the bench and a line up that was just plain hopeless, Sears down the middle and a game plan of hoofing it long to a midget ? What chance did he have ? Abandoning the back Three which has worked so well in recent weeks, by Mick's own admission the 3-5-2 has been really good since Norwich away so why change it ? The icing on the caks was his comments of leaving players on the bench in case they pick up yellow cards !! I've never heard anything so stupid at this stage of a season, especially when it was a must win game to keep any lingering hopes of a top Six finish alive, slim chance I know but a win would have kept us hanging in there, as it is the season is over now with Nine pointless games to go, all that is left is the battle to finish as East Anglia's top dogs.

Trying to take in all the interviews and articles etc regarding the managers position has me chopping and changing my mind as to if he is staying or leaving but following his pre game interview and then his comments after the thrashing from Hull I find it impossible to comprehend that he will be here next August, it just cannot happen and even if Evans was going to offer him that Two year extension I think it is impossible for him to do so now, the fans have spoken like never before and the rift is now a chasm which can't heal, if Evans is as good a businessman as we are all led to believe then he has One action and One action only to take, failure to do so will see the crowds all but implode and that is fraught with real danger for the very existence of the club, only a headcase would take that chance and some time soon Evans will want to sell up, he has to have something to sell.

At least this week sees us on our travels and that should at least ensure a better performance, it's been that way most of the season, the players have far more freedom and are clearly more relaxed and while I get some of the anger in recent days I have said all along the fans have for some time been partly responsible for the poor home form, i've said it for months not just after Tuesday and for me it is a fact, tht is fine but accept your actions have consequences, several players have remarked on it while trying to remain diplomatic but only a fool would argue that it does make things harder for them. Bristol City are not the team of a few weeks ago and have slipped to Eighth place, Three points off the play offs, incredibly should we beat them we would only be Three points behind them and this is a team who are regarded still being very much in the mix, strange old world. Sadly I think they will prove to be too strong for a beleaguered and battered Town team on this occasion and my record of seeing nothing but defeats for Town at Ashton Gate looks likely to continue here. Keep the faith, COYB'S.

The Opposition – Bristol City

The club was founded in 1897 as Bristol South End and changed their name to Bristol City on adopting professionalism three years later when they were admitted into the Southern League. City joined the Football League in 1901. .

Winning the Second Division Championship with a record number of points when they became the first club in Football League history to win 30 games as well as equaling Manchester United's achievement of the previous season in winning 14 consecutive games (still a record today, which was also accomplished by Preston in 1950–51).

They finished as runners-up in their inaugural First Division campaign. Three years later they won through to their only FA Cup Final. After a five season stay in the top flight in the 1910/11season brought City's first ever taste of relegation and it was to be 65 years before top flight status would be regained.

The 1920s were a rocky time as City bounced between the Second Division and the Southern Section of the Third Division. By the 1930s they had slumped into the lower division, and stayed that way until the Second World War. Harry Dolman became chairman in 1949, a post he would hold for over 30 years. An engineer who had bought out the firm he worked for, he designed the first set of floodlights installed at Ashton Gate in the early 1950s. The late 1950s were a better time for City, with a five-year stay in the Second Division, a league they returned to for a further spell in 1965.

In 1967, Alan Dicks was appointed manager, and things gradually began to improve, with promotion to the First Division in 1976, ending a 65-year exile from the top flight.

City's second stint in the top flight was less successful than the club's first, with thirteenth position in 1979 being their highest finish during this era.

In 1980, the City team went back to the Second Division in the first of three relegations, their debt mounted and their financial losses increased, with two successive relegations following. Thus, in 1982, they fell into the Fourth Division, and were declared bankrupt. BCFC (1982) Ltd acquired the club's player contracts, and the highly paid senior players who became known as the 'Ashton Gate Eight', each accepted termination of his contract for half the amount due. The club failed to pay its debts to many local businesses which left the new formed club difficulty in obtaining credit because of bad feeling toward them.

City spent two seasons in the Fourth Division before winning promotion in 1984. They consolidated themselves in the Third Division during the latter part of the 1980s, and in 1990 achieved promotion as Third Division runners-up.

Meanwhile, City remained in the new Division One (no longer the Second Division after the creation of the Premier League in 1992) but in the 1994/95 season were relegated to Division Two.

Bristol City again achieved promotion in 1998 as Division Two runners-up, but went straight back down again the following season.

City was a regular Division Two Top Six side over the next few seasons but couldn’t advance through the playoffs each time.

Despite a slow start to the 2006–07 season, City were in the top six of League One by November and at the end of the month began an 11-match unbeaten run which drove them to the top of the division. Promotion to the Championship was confirmed on the final day of the season securing the runners-up place in the division and resulting in automatic promotion.

After a stop start run of form City went top of the Championship on 1 March, However, a poor run ended City's chances of an automatic promotion place. They made the playoff final at Wembley but went down 1-0 to Hull.

After a poor start in the first half of the 2008–09 season, City finished the season in tenth place.

On 22 April 2010, it was announced that former Reading manager Steve Coppell would become the new City manager at the end of the 2009–10 campaign, when he would start a 12-month rolling contract, and that Keith Millen, who had guided the club to Championship safety in his brief spell as caretaker manager, would remain at the club as his assistant. It was announced on 12 August 2010 that Coppell had resigned as manager with immediate effect saying that he would retire from football management altogether citing a lack of passion for the job. This followed his only two competitive games at the club.

On 29 November 2011, the club announced a loss of £11.45 million.

After a promising start to the 2011/12 season City only just survived staying in the Championship having spent time in the relegation zone.

After a poor start to the 2012/13 campaign, Sean O'Driscoll was appointed head coach on a 12-month rolling contract however on 16 April 2013, City were relegated to League One.

After the sacking of Sean O'Driscoll on 28 November 2013, Steve Cotterill was appointed on a three and a half year contract. When he joined the club were bottom of the table and 5 points away from safety with a −7 goal difference. Cotterill made a huge impact and guided the club to safety and finished the season 12th.

Bristol City were promoted back to Championship for 2015–16 season after securing a top spot in 2014–15 Football League One on 14 April 2015. 1955 was the last time they won a league.

With Bristol City just inside the relegation zone, and only 256 days after Cotterill had lead them back to the Championship, Cotterill was sacked by club chairman Keith Dawe, on 14 January 2016.

Caretaker Manager John Pemberton was replaced by Lee Johnson on the 6th February 2016.

Last season Bristol City finished one place below Ipswich in 17th place with 54 points.

The Manager – Lee Johnson

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Form Guide

Bristol City Last 5 Matches – Currently in 8th place with 58 points

21 Feb Bristol City 1 - 1 Fulham

25 Feb Cardiff City 1 - 0 Bristol City

3 Mar Bristol City 4 - 0 Sheffield Wed

6 Mar Preston 2 - 1 Bristol City

10 Mar Burton Albion 0 - 0 Bristol City

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 12th place with 52 points

21 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Cardiff City

24 Feb Preston 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

6 Mar Sheffield Wed 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

10 Mar Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Sheffield Utd

13 Mar Ipswich Town 0 - 3 Hull City

Fixtures of Interest that could effect Towns standing on the table

NORWICH CITY
VS READING FC

BRENTFORD VS MIDDLESBROUGH

LEEDS UTD VS SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Match Referee – TBA

BRISTOL CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Dubai Blue

Re: Bristol City v Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 pm

I would expect a reaction from our boys after Tuesday and I think we will beat Brizzle today. That's what we always say about other teams that have just been tonked.

Let's hope for a Brentford win against Boro to keep the impossible dream alive.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Edit first part of my post, ....., in fact removed completely. Text message from buddy, “Your ITFC preview reply, first paragraph, inappropriate and will offend.” So it’s gone, no harm done.

Excellent write up there. It’s quite sad that you say an away day should provide a better performance. I understand that completely due to the increasing discontent. But remember when Jeff Stelling would say, “let’s go to Tony Cottee at Fortress Portman Road.” Hopefully those days return....., but not with Tony Cottee.

There are also theories out there that the Equatorial sun is one of the major causes of war and conflict and drives people mad. It’s making you the most positive person on the forum, Dubai Blue. After reading your posts, I’m like, “FK YEAH, LETS DO IT!” :D

This is a classic championship accumulator ruiner. ITFC win this. Like the unexpected Preston and Sheff Wed games, this could be another excellent away win. I did expect ITFC to beat shitty Hull, so don’t be putting cash on ITFC.

That Bristol City fans picture....... bottom left..... is there a fan there wearing a cap with a painted camouflage face?

And err, Happy Birthday, Nicsreamer. All the best, buddy.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:58 pm

We'll kill off any last promotion hope they possess and win it by a single goal. Perhaps a scrappy game. Bialkowski again to impress but they're (Bristol) short on motivation and belief at this time of event.

Bristol City 0 Ipswich 1

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 pm

You have to go back to pre Christmas to find the last away game in which Town failed to score a goal and that was at high flying Wolves where we lost 1-0 on 23 December. Since then we’ve scored one or more goals in all six away games played at Fulham, Bolton, Sunderland, Norwich, Preston and Sheffield Wednesday. Clearly the players feel less pressure playing away than they do at Portman Road, maybe there’s a message to the fans hidden there somewhere.

Over the same period Bristol City have played 6 home games, winning only two of them and only keeping two clean sheets. Hopefully then we’ll be able to maintain our ability to score at least one away goal in which case I think we may be able to nick a draw.

Prediction 1-1.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:56 pm

You should change your name Charnwood to “Stat-Man”. Some of these stats are quite incredible. I’ve put “no scorer” in the prediction league TB CUP quarter final, but if I’d read this away goal stat first, I’d have written in a name.

It’s ok Number 9....... I’m not making excuses before you knock my A$$ out the cup! :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:46 pm

marko69 wrote:You should change your name Charnwood to “Stat-Man”. Some of these stats are quite incredible. I’ve put “no scorer” in the prediction league TB CUP quarter final, but if I’d read this away goal stat first, I’d have written in a name.

It’s ok Number 9....... I’m not making excuses before you knock my A$$ out the cup! :D
I doubt that Marko! I'm all talk, no action...at least that's what my ex-wife says! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:59 pm

:lol:

The ex wives and their thoughts eh! My ex wife very nicely calls me “papa” when the granddaughter is present...... all other times I’m the “effin dickhead!”

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Team starting :

Bialkowski
Spence
Carter-Vickers
Chambers
Webster
Knudsen
Ward
Skuse
Connolly
Sears
Waghorn

Substitutes

Celina
Hyam
Crowe
Gleeson
Drinan
Kenlock
Morris

Seems an adequate line-up. There is attacking potential and players that can do a job. Pity is, the game itself is all rather immaterial regards whatever is left in the season.

In any event let's at least go out there and bring home a result, we should take something from today, feeling confident.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Why the hell is Sears playing? Well he might play a blinder & score for the first time in years..but i wont hold my breath.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Fat b*stard Hanley looks like he’s celebrating getting the nod into Alex McLeish’s squad by scoring for the Parrots. What an unpredictable team Reading are.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Brum 3 Hull 0? :astroll: Unreal. The world class Hull team that were at PR on Tuesday are having “an off day!”

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:30 pm

1-0 Another bad day at the office.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:31 pm

And their half time sub scores.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Come on them? What does Mick do? His bench looks Shyte. Bring on Celina who hasn’t been in a winning side for months?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:38 pm

No subs as yet. 72mins. But to be honest...... I’d be stuck also.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:45 pm

83rd <—— Ward off
——> Celina on

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Sounds like Waghorn misses a sitter, 91st min.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Ben Morris ——>
<——- Sears off 94th min?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Think only a f**king Ben Morris equaliser (or assist) was going to save Micks bacon today.

FT 1-0

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Any chance of Mevans getting Mo Salah in an Ipswich shirt?

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:56 pm

More chance of getting mo from eastenders!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 pm

marko69 wrote:You should change your name Charnwood to “Stat-Man”. Some of these stats are quite incredible. I’ve put “no scorer” in the prediction league TB CUP quarter final, but if I’d read this away goal stat first, I’d have written in a name.

I bet you’re glad you’d not read it now Marko, on the strength of the stats I changed my prediction from 1-0 to 1-1 and dropped 5 points !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 pm

The lack of goals in the team is a concern and the pity is there's players there that are capable, but we never seem to play often enough as a cohesive unit or there's other departments of the team that aren't working to expected productivity.

Caught some game highlights and in truth seems there wasn't much to be told. Poor game at times - which is nothing new - and if any top six ambition was remaining before start of play, then have to accept our chance has now gone. McCarthy appeared haggard and weary in post-game interview and has to realize for the good of the team - and himself - that leaving here in the summer is just about now imperative.

Apparently (he) spent a majority of the game shouting out instructions and random profanities in the direction of players as the duration went on, i.e. every misplaced tackle or loss of possession caused a reaction. As before, for the good of everyone, people would implore you to quit your position and take a break from it all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:56 pm

TB Cup interest ——-> Derby v Cardiff postponed. Frozen pitch. Would’ve thought Derby County would’ve switched on their undersoil heating and had the reserve team out shovelling and gritting snow around the stadium. Do some real work for their wages.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Yesterday's game was in truth a bit of a nothing game really and while I have seen much much worse this season it was all a bit tame and lacking in any real quality not to mention goalmouth action but over the piece town can feel a bit hard done by that we didn't take something from the game as it was about as even as it can get, they had far more of the ball and passed it arounbd without hurting us while we probably had the better of the chances, or half chances, throughout the game, we just don't have the confidence or belief in front of goal that we had earlier in the season. MM went with the line up that we suggested in the pub before the game so no arguments on that score. I suppose it was fitting that the only piece of real quality from either side won the game as the young LB put in a great cross from which Djuric headed the winner.

The opening twenty minutes saw Bristol have a lot of possession and were passing the ball around at will but much of the play was in front of Town's Midfield, One or two half chances came at either end but neither keeper was tested as efforts flew high or wide. Sears was running his socks off and being a bit of a handfull for the City defence and the early part of the game had Towmn actually looking the more dangerous going forward. Conditions were tough with a bitterly cold wind and snow showers making it hard for both teams to play. Much of the half was played out without incident but as the half time whistle approached we had Two chances which were probably the best ones of the opening Forty Five minutes, first Jordan Spence headed high and wide from a Knudsen cross and not long afte Callum Connolly had a similar effort which the keeper saved, it had been a fairly strong ending by Town but still chances were of a premium. Grant Ward had again been lively, Skuse and Connolly solid in the middle and the back Three had coped with almost everything thrown at them which in truth wasn't much, Sears and Waghorn were working the City back line but they were rerally feeding off scraps most of the time.

The home side came out for the second half looking to impose themselves on the game more and Town were finding it hard to get out of our half, Bart was called into real action for the first time as an effort from a fair way out was held comfortably. Minutes later we got away with one as Bart spilled anothger long range effort right into the path of the Bristol sub Djuric but somehow he managed to lift it over the bar with the goal gaping, it was by far the best chance of the game and really should have seen the home side go ahead. It wasn't long though before City did get themnselves ahead and agin it was sub Djuric who was the man to make Town pay, a lovely cross from the left by Kelly, who it has to be said was afforded all the time and space in the world saw the striker out muscle Webster before placing his header passed the helpless Bart to give the Robins the lead, I feel Webster was again a bit questionable with his defending and it seemed at the time the scorer wanted it more and was too strong for the CB.

Town to their credit didn't let heads drop and from the restart tried to get themselves back on the front foot, it really is baffling how it takes us to go behind before we start p-laying some passing football but that was the case here and once or twice we got in behind them with some nice passing moves. We had a good chance to equalise as we entered the last part of the game with Connolly getting his head to a teasing cross from Spence who had put in several decent balls during the second half, unfortunately the on loan Everton man couldn't get his direction right and it cleared the post with Sears just unable to get to it. It was all Town now and a free kick by ward was wasted before we so nearly drew level direct from a Waghorn corner but again luck was not on our side and it was scrambled clear. The final minutes passed without either side creating any more real chances despite Town peppering the City box with a few crosses which just would not find their man.

While we were hardly great nor were we the shambolic side of Four days earlier, there was little to choose between the sides and a draw would definitely have been the right outcome however it was not to be. Nobody really stood out in Blue but nobody really disappointed too much either, just a bit of a nothing game really played in bloody freezing conditions. I definitely think the Three at the back suits us much better and we were undone by One good cross which is annoying to say the least but it has happened so often in tight games we kinda get used to it. The Town fans who made the long trip tried to get behind the team from the off and the home voices were hardly heard throughout, there was negative vibes or anti Mick songs and the players were applauded as they came over to the Blue faithful at the end.

Bart (6) Spence (7) Webster (6) Chambers (7) Carter-Vickers (6) Knudsen (6) Skuse (6) Connolly (6) Ward (7) Waghorn (6) Sears (6)

SUBS :- Celina (6)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks for the report and thankfully not a painful read. Great to read that Sears was making problems for Bristol City’s defence, great to read that Spence was whipping crosses over and great to read that you away faithful applauded the players at the end.

Would it be accurate to say that, however unlikely, every Town fan would be over the moon if Callum Connolly could become a permanent signing? I really do like what I read about him.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 pm

marko69 wrote:Thanks for the report and thankfully not a painful read. Great to read that Sears was making problems for Bristol City’s defence, great to read that Spence was whipping crosses over and great to read that you away faithful applauded the players at the end.

Would it be accurate to say that, however unlikely, every Town fan would be over the moon if Callum Connolly could become a permanent signing? I really do like what I read about him.
:lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL not a chance Marco, or with Celina and Carter Vickers, they wont play for Mick again, much better clubs to go too, with more ambition and better wages, also as Mick has stated, the more agro and abuse he gets from the pissed off fans, the more likely he will accept a new 2 year contract, just to p*ss us off, :roll: and yes Mick the more likelihood that you stay, the more likelihood gates will continue to plummet, and 5000 gates wont please ME, so don't count your chickens fella, the sword will fall soon enough.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm

ashfordblue wrote:Mick has stated, the more agro and abuse he gets from the pissed off fans, the more likely he will accept a new 2 year contract, just to p*ss us off.
I’m new to that one. Any link to a written report or a video to this, Ash?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
marko69 wrote:Thanks for the report and thankfully not a painful read. Great to read that Sears was making problems for Bristol City’s defence, great to read that Spence was whipping crosses over and great to read that you away faithful applauded the players at the end.

:lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL not a chance Marco, or with Celina and Carter Vickers, they wont play for Mick again, much better clubs to go too, with more ambition and better wages, also as Mick has stated, the more agro and abuse he gets from the pissed off fans, the more likely he will accept a new 2 year contract, just to p*ss us off, :roll: and yes Mick the more likelihood that you stay, the more likelihood gates will continue to plummet, and 5000 gates wont please ME, so don't count your chickens fella, the sword will fall soon enough.
Wouldn't want Celina anyway, Carayol all day long for me.