Mick leaving - confirmed!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: Mick leaving - confirmed!

Post by number 9 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:12 pm

marko69 wrote:Image

I think the kitty is shocked that it could be getting released, 9.
LOL, I almost said I hope the next manager isn't a pussy! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:38 pm

:lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Having now watched his press conference this pm, pretty certain that Mrs MM’s relief that he’s going will be far greater than those ‘numbskull’ supporters who effectively tipped him, and ME, over the edge. He looked fuc*ked.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 pm

About goddamn time. Had enough of all that pissing around over the "will he, won't he" issue. At least something has been resolved and won't shed no tears over this departure. Was allowed to continue far longer than he should, don't know who finally realized keeping him in position was never going to work for the club, maybe Evans had a sudden flash of inspiration and moved his as* to get something done that had just about become an essential requirement.

Relief above all else, gone nothing against McCarthy on a personal level, but by god he set the club back some considerable distance over his five year tenure. One play off finish and the done to death "hasn't had the money at his disposal" issue won't fit for size with everyone. All that crap about "we'll be relegation candidates if McCarthy was ever to leave" can be brushed under the rug also.

Sure as hell wouldn't have been contenders for a promotion had he been allowed further years to set the club back. Shame in a sense that's he out of work in the summer as don't believe another owner would hire him or more likely he'll resign from the game and call a retirement. Been a ride at times and more downs than positives, but relief again there (finally) seems to be closure on this issue.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:37 pm

number 9 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:IF ME does not get the appointment right we WILL go down next season, This could be a sad day in our history not a bloody time to rejoice, this decision about Mick leaving will alone solve nothing.
We could go down even if MM was staying, in my opinion Mike. However, I do agree MM's replacement will need to be carefully researched. I do believe ME will initially release a kitty to whomever the new manager is, and I think a review of the entire club's structure will be needed at some point going forward. We can only hope for success, but you have to admit it's exciting times for ITFC!
I don't think we would ever go down under MM, however you are right it is exciting times ahead as new beginnings always are. I just think it would be a bit of an insult to come up with a decent budget for a new manager when Mick was given nothing despite at one time not long ago being Five points off the play offs with a crippling injury list.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:43 am

After letting yesterday sink in is there any point in MM staying for last 8 games? He’s openly saying (quite rightly) he’s not bothered who stays and who goes. Add to that he’s taking more swipes at fans which will continue until he’s gone. If we go a goal down and play crap on Monday at PR can see fans telling him where to go and as he’s off anyway he’s not likely to hold back in his answers.

With the club reducing ticket prices and trying to win people back I’m not sure keeping mick in position is a good idea. We’re not going down so just allow Gerard Nash or Alan lee to take charge until a new man is appointed

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:45 am

Problem is Charlton the decision is already made so we have him here until the last knockings of this season.

I actually thought the numbskull comment was very apt and people can only be offended by it if they are one.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:53 am

Not sure I agree there. Problem for me some of these people who have been venting their anger are not always like that. They are reasonable fans who have progressively got more and more frustrated. Mick and the club have never tried to understand why people feel like this,they just chastise them. I sit in South lower with my dad and I've sat there for 15 years now, most people around us have been there all that time and more and some have turned and got involved against hull. I've never seen that before from them,I wouldn't call them numbskulls

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 am

I don't for one second think that MM ewas referring to that type of fan who suddenly has enough at a given point, as I have said we all have a tipping point, i have had a couple myself, that is one thing, but the dicks that i see on a regualr basis who have been doing it just for the hell of it for a long long time and revel in it with their pathetic grinning and smug faces and who think they are billy big bollocks are the ones that have, as Mick said yesterday, made Portman Road a crap place for the players to play, I have repeatedly said it for months and nobody took any notice, it is common sense that it would have an adverse affect on the performances, the very performances these goons are moaning about in the first place.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Whilst I agree this is all a result of the club allowing things to continue the way they have been. It could have been resolved a long time ago. A bit more investment, change of manager last season. The club are the ones to blame for making PR an unejoyable experience imo. If you let things fester then it builds and builds. Right or wrong I could see all of this happening a mile off so why couldn't Evans, Milne or Mick?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:42 pm

[quote]Shame in a sense that's he out of work in the summer as don't believe another owner would hire him or more likely he'll resign from the game and call a retirement/quote]

Honestly Saint Jude I couldn't agree with you less. I think Mick & Terry's stock is high right now. I think in the game he's recognised for having done a remarkable job with ITFC. I fully expect him to be successful at his next club, especially if they give him some decent money. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in the Prem next season. Alternatively he might do a great job at a lower Champ side lie ours with no money to spend on players, if they can afford is salary.

The 'fan battle' has obscured the remarkable job that he's done at ITFC. That's my view and I'm sad to see him go.

But it will be interesting to see the decision made now by the owner.....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:47 am

herforder wrote:Having now watched his press conference this pm, pretty certain that Mrs MM’s relief that he’s going will be far greater than those ‘numbskull’ supporters who effectively tipped him, and ME, over the edge. He looked fuc*ked.

Stress can be a killer herforder. I think McCarthy has looked positively unwell for some weeks now.

I wish him well in the future but he’s a sore loser make no mistake. And whichever way he wants to dress it up, Evans had no intention of offering him an additional contract.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:50 am

saint jude wrote:About goddamn time. Had enough of all that pissing around over the "will he, won't he" issue. At least something has been resolved and won't shed no tears over this departure. Was allowed to continue far longer than he should, don't know who finally realized keeping him in position was never going to work for the club, maybe Evans had a sudden flash of inspiration and moved his as* to get something done that had just about become an essential requirement.

Relief above all else, gone nothing against McCarthy on a personal level, but by god he set the club back some considerable distance over his five year tenure. One play off finish and the done to death "hasn't had the money at his disposal" issue won't fit for size with everyone. All that crap about "we'll be relegation candidates if McCarthy was ever to leave" can be brushed under the rug also.

Sure as hell wouldn't have been contenders for a promotion had he been allowed further years to set the club back. Shame in a sense that's he out of work in the summer as don't believe another owner would hire him or more likely he'll resign from the game and call a retirement. \
Been a ride at times and more downs than positives, but relief again there (finally) seems to be closure on this issue.
hahahaha - sorry St J, but that's the biggest load of cráp I've read for ages - made me laugh though, thanks for making my day start so well :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 am

hallamblue wrote:
herforder wrote:Having now watched his press conference this pm, pretty certain that Mrs MM’s relief that he’s going will be far greater than those ‘numbskull’ supporters who effectively tipped him, and ME, over the edge. He looked fuc*ked.

Stress can be a killer herforder. I think McCarthy has looked positively unwell for some weeks now.

I wish him well in the future but he’s a sore loser make no mistake. And whichever way he wants to dress it up, Evans had no intention of offering him an additional contract.
Agree - I said in an earlier thread that ME’s decision would be about presentation. ME certainly owed MM a - at least superficially - dignified exit. The deed’s been done, little mileage in picking over the bones. Better to move on - dare I say with cautious optimism, and a glimmer of hope - without which we’re all......you know what!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:14 pm

rossi wrote:
saint jude wrote:About goddamn time. Had enough of all that pissing around over the "will he, won't he" issue. At least something has been resolved and won't shed no tears over this departure. Was allowed to continue far longer than he should, don't know who finally realized keeping him in position was never going to work for the club, maybe Evans had a sudden flash of inspiration and moved his as* to get something done that had just about become an essential requirement.

Sure as hell wouldn't have been contenders for a promotion had he been allowed further years to set the club back. Shame in a sense that's he out of work in the summer as don't believe another owner would hire him or more likely he'll resign from the game and call a retirement. \
Been a ride at times and more downs than positives, but relief again there (finally) seems to be closure on this issue.
hahahaha - sorry St J, but that's the biggest load of cráp I've read for ages - made me laugh though, thanks for making my day start so well :D
Yet you didn't even provide a reason to your difference of opinion. You know, if you find issue in something at least have the courtesy to offer an explanation.

Did you really think the team would ever reach EPL status had McCarthy remained in position ? In all probability, not at all.

Other than the top six year and a handful of commendable scores and brief runs in the league, was there really anything to get excited about while the individual was in post ? In fairness, No.

Bottom line, the manager is going. Realize there will be difference of opinion and all it entails, but we're going to get a new name in the summer and for many the last five years have been a largely forgettable time at this club. Dispute all you like, but the announcement of departure is a welcome relief for the majority of the fanbase.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:26 am

saint jude wrote:
rossi wrote:

Yet you didn't even provide a reason to your difference of opinion. You know, if you find issue in something at least have the courtesy to offer an explanation.

Did you really think the team would ever reach EPL status had McCarthy remained in position ? In all probability, not at all.

Other than the top six year and a handful of commendable scores and brief runs in the league, was there really anything to get excited about while the individual was in post ? In fairness, No.

Bottom line, the manager is going. Realize there will be difference of opinion and all it entails, but we're going to get a new name in the summer and for many the last five years have been a largely forgettable time at this club. Dispute all you like, but the announcement of departure is a welcome relief for the majority of the fanbase.
Well I think your saying that no other club will want MM and he'll probably have to retire borders on the ridiculous.
He's a proven manager at this level with an international pedigree - and he's managed to keep a club in financial decline in and around mid table which is no mean feat. He will have no problem at all securing another appointment.

To say MM has set this club back over the last 5 years is also ridiculous IMO - he had had very little to work with and had he received the backing he should have had from the owner in the January of our play-off season then we may well have gone up.

I also do not like MM as a manager, but people would do well to consider all that has happened realistically and not let their personal hatred of the man cloud their judgements.

And to finish with an answer to another of your questions - do you really think that with a new manager we will have a better chance of getting to the EPL? You're living in la-la land - without investment to match the more ambitious Championship clubs and relegated clubs with parachute payments we have absolutely no chance, whoever is manager.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:01 am

Absolutely spot on Rossi.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:00 am

Evans is no fool and must surely realise that his policy throughout MM's tenure has failed, unless of course as Rossi has suggested, the losses have been used for other purposes.

None of us know Evans intentions for a new manager and a new season and it might just be that, having acknowledged the Championship has changed, he may adopt a different approach. I hope he does because without more investment I feel he will find it very difficult to employ a manager of the right calibre to take the club forward.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:09 am

barmy billy wrote:Evans is no fool and must surely realise that his policy throughout MM's tenure has failed, unless of course as Rossi has suggested, the losses have been used for other purposes.

None of us know Evans intentions for a new manager and a new season and it might just be that, having acknowledged the Championship has changed, he may adopt a different approach. I hope he does because without more investment I feel he will find it very difficult to employ a manager of the right calibre to take the club forward.
And that is a very real concern.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:16 pm

barmy billy wrote:Evans is no fool and must surely realise that his policy throughout MM's tenure has failed, unless of course as Rossi has suggested, the losses have been used for other purposes.

Then I guess he has to go cheap and look for upcoming managers in the lower leagues, rather than yesterday’s big shot managers.

Someone who can improve players. Effort and graft aside, do we really improve players?

Could we get something better out of existing players ?

Is there someone who can improve the production line into the first team from the youth squad?

We see youngsters get into the team, but they’re usually the first to get hooked or dropped ... and their development seems to grind to a halt.

It’s all about the budget, but the only way to break the cycle is to improve players through coaching and/ or have a little bit more faith in youth. So many crap loanee /freebie signings( not the Frasers, Celina’s types ) have passed through and just taken up a squad place for youth players. Why have Gleason on the bench yesterday, for example..... 3 other defensive midfielders in the squad FFS.

If ME finally changed his policy and opened up his wallet.... I’d love to see Micks reaction ... don’t think it would be so amicable.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:38 pm

I agree with a lot of what Tang is saying. I’ve always believed we can have a better approach even with minmal investment. Remember how we started this season on fire, scoring goals and attacking? We basically had the same players then to what we have now, but MM pulled the reins in to play defensive football again. I’d love to see a manager like Cowley come in and motivate the players. It’s not all about the money; it’s also about the club’s football philosophy. If all the players are so keen on MM, why don’t they perform well on a regular basis? They’re professionals after all, and I don’t buy into the belief that they’re all crap. Has MM just not motivated them with his cautious approach? Let’s see what happens when the new manager comes in. If nothing changes in our style of play resulting in better performances, I’ll be the first to say I was wrong about Mick and the money factor.
Last edited by number 9 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:28 pm

tangfastic wrote:We see youngsters get into the team, but they’re usually the first to get hooked or dropped ... and their development seems to grind to a halt.
Or the very best ones by a country mile go to Luton and sit on the bench as an unused sub vs Colchester on Good Friday?

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
tangfastic wrote:We see youngsters get into the team, but they’re usually the first to get hooked or dropped ... and their development seems to grind to a halt.
Or the very best ones by a country mile go to Luton and sit on the bench as an unused sub vs Colchester on Good Friday?
Nathan Jones OUT! (That’s once he’s IN....)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 pm

herforder wrote:
marko69 wrote:
You Jest

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 am

number 9 wrote:I agree with a lot of what Tang is saying. I’ve always believed we can have a better approach even with minmal investment. Remember how we started this season on fire, scoring goals and attacking? We basically had the same players then to what we have now, but MM pulled the reins in to play defensive football again. I’d love to see a manager like Cowley come in and motivate the players. It’s not all about the money; it’s also about the club’s football philosophy. If all the players are so keen on MM, why don’t they perform well on a regular basis? They’re professionals after all, and I don’t buy into the belief that they’re all crap. Has MM just not motivated them with his cautious approach? Let’s see what happens when the new manager comes in. If nothing changes in our style of play resulting in better performances, I’ll be the first to say I was wrong about Mick and the money factor.
That start to the season is significant. Some new players brought in ... and we managed to get four back to back Championship wins relying a lot on luck, but also playing with a lot of belief. We’ll score more than you approach. It wasn’t beautiful, flowing football,but enjoyable while it lasted.

As number 9 says, MM’s influence seemed to pull in the reins. It seems like a new team slung together produced better football and for a while better results, before the shackles were put in place.

If those 12 points we got at the start were replaced by 3 or 4 points, we’d be a lower mid table side just looking to get to 50 points as soon as possible.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:25 am

tangfastic wrote:
number 9 wrote:I agree with a lot of what Tang is saying. I’ve always believed we can have a better approach even with minmal investment. Remember how we started this season on fire, scoring goals and attacking? We basically had the same players then to what we have now, but MM pulled the reins in to play defensive football again. I’d love to see a manager like Cowley come in and motivate the players. It’s not all about the money; it’s also about the club’s football philosophy. If all the players are so keen on MM, why don’t they perform well on a regular basis? They’re professionals after all, and I don’t buy into the belief that they’re all crap. Has MM just not motivated them with his cautious approach? Let’s see what happens when the new manager comes in. If nothing changes in our style of play resulting in better performances, I’ll be the first to say I was wrong about Mick and the money factor.
That start to the season is significant. Some new players brought in ... and we managed to get four back to back Championship wins relying a lot on luck, but also playing with a lot of belief. We’ll score more than you approach. It wasn’t beautiful, flowing football,but enjoyable while it lasted.

As number 9 says, MM’s influence seemed to pull in the reins. It seems like a new team slung together produced better football and for a while better results, before the shackles were put in place.

If those 12 points we got at the start were replaced by 3 or 4 points, we’d be a lower mid table side just looking to get to 50 points as soon as possible.
I get what you are saying about the 12 points Tang but I don't altogether agree with it, playing devils advocate here, if we hadnt pissed away points in the dying seconds of games against Norwich & Sheff wed we would still be a mere 7 off top six. It's all if's and but's.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:57 am

The points surrendered against Shef Wed and Norwich were more down to poor decision making by players, rather than MM’s tactics or team set up. No doubt the early points in the bank have provided a cushion as the season progressed. But I don’t believe that - given the squad’s quality, depth and horrendous injury landscape - MM had much room for manoeuvre in terms of trying to play a type of game that, in truth, we’re not capable of producing consistently in a hard, physical, league. Whilst it might be assessed that he could have done this, or tried that, possibly with some short-term gain and more entertainment, our final league position would probably be the same - or possibly worse.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:47 am

herforder wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Yes, I’m with Mike and think you are joking here. That would be a better appointment than many names in the poll in my opinion.

I’m sure there was a very good reason why young Downes didn’t play in the 2-1 defeat to Colchester.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Yes, tongue very much in cheek........would be very happy to see ME take the calculated risk of bringing Nathan Jones to PR. However, unsure whether a. Jones would want to accept the challenge, b. ME’s in the business of paying compensation.