Mick leaving - confirmed!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Mick leaving - confirmed!

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:35 am

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/ ... -contract/

There we are. Like it or not, the decision is made. Which I would assume means that the replacement is also lined up.
Last edited by Dubai Blue on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlton837

Re: Mick leaving - confirmed!

Post by charlton837 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 am

get in there!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:38 am

Dubai Blue wrote:https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/ ... -contract/

There we are. Like it or not, the decision is made. Which I would assume means that the replacement is also lined up.
im not so sure, I think if hes staying until end of season then they may be doing their search now. I wanted him gone but I do think now that we should get behind the team and also allow Mick a positive send off as he does deserve that. Overall he has done a good job here, but the last 2-2.5 seasons have been a bore a lot of the time, especially at home.

Thanks Mick for your hard work and good luck in your next job, I do mean that

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:39 am

charlton837 wrote:
Dubai Blue wrote:https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/ ... -contract/

im not so sure, I think if hes staying until end of season then they may be doing their search now. I wanted him gone but I do think now that we should get behind the team and also allow Mick a positive send off as he does deserve that. Overall he has done a good job here, but the last 2-2.5 seasons have been a bore a lot of the time, especially at home.

Thanks Mick for your hard work and good luck in your next job, I do mean that
Actually reading it back I agree. It looks like they don't yet have him lined up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 am

Couldn't possibly be anything else.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:42 am

Now very worried about the Steve McLaren rumours.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:48 am

In the end for me the only decision that could be made.
Even if Mick had stayed it would only be a matter of time before things went pear shaped again between him and some of the fans. At least it will make for an interesting few weeks or months ahead.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:48 am

marko69 wrote:Now very worried about the Steve McLaren rumours.
I don't think it will be him. As yet im not sure of any specific names that might come into the frame but I don't think Evans would go for McLaren because of his record of walking away. Warburton is a name that springs to mind as realistic, again though im not sure.

It is at least going to be a very interesting end of the season, I wonder if the new replacement will be announced before end of season, I think the club know that the ST sales may hinge on who they bring in now so in our interests to get something in place (if we can).

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:53 am

Bastards, I wanted him to stay!! :lol: :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 am

So given that it looks like there is no replacement lined up yet and we may not hear about one until the end of the season. How about starting a rumours thread Admins? :lol:

We can have some fun with that!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:59 am

Dubai Blue wrote:So given that it looks like there is no replacement lined up yet and we may not hear about one until the end of the season. How about starting a rumours thread Admins? :lol:

We can have some fun with that!
done mate

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 am

I'm sure that even if the club has ideas about who they want they can't officially approach him if he is working at another club, ie someone like Paul Cooke of Wigan.
I'm not sure I want a manager here who is currently not working. Marcus Evans's history here does seem to point at people with a proven track record "in the past" of getting promotion out of this division. Personally I'd like to see a different tack and look for a man with a proven record of encouraging his sides to play attractive football. There are managers in the lower divisions and abroad with a more encouraging philosophy about the game; Portugal seems to be a fertile breeding ground for decent Managers.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:07 am

Thank f*ck for that!

That’s not being disrespectful to Mick, but it needed to be done and stated officially.

There is stability in place that is down to Mick .. so build on it... no need for a revolution and a major overhaul... a tweak here and there, loosen the shackles a bit and allow the players to enjoy their football more.

Who knows the future.... I hear some say Mick is the only one who can work on this budget.. But if Mick is the only manager who can keep us afloat and then given a two year extension ... then we are effectively a ‘dead man walking’ team . Just waiting for Mick to leave, before we implode. If that is the case, I would rather it happen now than a few more years of growing toxicity. However, it’s better to change a manager during a stable period so that things can be built on, rather than a manager sacked during a crisis and we’re forced to make a hasty decision on the new manager. I guess these panic appointments are how McClaren and Pardew keep in work.

Thanks, Mick.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:29 am

personally I think its time for a change.

Mick was never going to be given the money his predecessor's were given.
let face it, he got about the same amount in 5 years as Keane did in 2.

I'd finally come to the conclusion that under Mick we'd be safe, but not really challenging for promotion.
He surprised me a couple of times with play-off chances, but that's about it.

I just hope the new management team will be given time, money and support they'll obviously need.
The only thing is, Has Marcus Evans learnt from his mistakes, and will he back the new manager?

hiopefully it'll be yes to both questions

Thanks Mick and Terry, you saved us from the drop, good luck in whatever you both decide to do.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:31 am

Mevans' budget will need to be made known to any potential new boss. That should shorten the list and could also eliminate any possible Portuguese managers, RRanger.

Very interesting next few months........., a new boss getting a decent budget would pose the obvious question; why Mick didn't.

I'll put my nuts on the line here; a manager to do a job of getting Ipswich Town to the play-offs, and possibly EPL -----> Alex Neil. Very young and forward thinking guy. Very good football knowledge.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:02 pm

I like Mick, and also think he has done a good job overall. I also agree that it is time for a change as we have stagnated into mid table security with little chance of relegation...and little chance of promotion.

Good luck in the future to Mick.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Well that announcement certainly takes care of the monotony! Well done Mick, now p*ss off! :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Manner of MM’s (and TC’s) departure pretty much as anticipated: mutual decision in all parties’ best interests and critically, those of ITFC. MM leaves with dignity and the eternal gratitude of ME, for whom he worked loyally and honestly with minimum resources, and scant public support. In the end, however, MM could not be that unifying presence that binds the club to its supporters - perhaps it was unfair for that responsibility to fall almost entirely on him, in the absence of a strong, higher profile owner, or a more effective CEO. The often dire quality of football played at PR, the ability to alienate supporters by a confrontational and dismissive demeanour, encapsulated by his aggressive, almost hate-filled, action towards Town fans at Norwich. (Possibly the latter action that persuaded ME that there was no way back - that and the increasing number of empty seats at PR.). So, the right decision, for the right reasons. It will be interesting to see how history judges MM’s era - and, for that matter, ME’s. The two are closely bound.

Need now to support the team, MM and TC until the final game - knowing that things are going to move on. To what extent that proves successful is now entirely in ME’s hands. Getting his next decision wrong is not an option! He’s acknowledged that the Cship has changed significantly, even in the last two seasons. MM’s successor, therefore, has to be given a fighting chance.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Just looking at the interview on TWTD - Mick looks awful. I think this has all takens it toll on him and he needs the break as much as us fans. I feel sorry for him, but its for the best for all parties. Hes done the job asked and saved us when we needed it, but every manager has a shelf life and its a good time for him to leave

Best wishes and thanks Mick and Terry

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:40 pm

Saturday's game will be an important barometer for me. We need to finish the season on a psychological high and chomping at the bit for a push on next season. That means finishing in the top 10 and ahead of the Budgies. If we fade and die then it will be far more likely that a number of our players leave and whilst one or two might be surplus to requirements (see endless opinions elsewhere on this and other sites) a large number of senior departures will give the new man a major challenge to stay in this league next season.

I'm betting that the team is utterly demoralised by this and what it says about the club's ambition.

Personally I cannot understand why any fan of the club would be celebrating today. Regardless of whether they like MM or not, this gives all the wrong messages about the future of our club IMO.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Saturday's game will be an important barometer for me. We need to finish the season on a psychological high and chomping at the bit for a push on next season. That means finishing in the top 10 and ahead of the Budgies. If we fade and die then it will be far more likely that a number of our players leave and whilst one or two might be surplus to requirements (see endless opinions elsewhere on this and other sites) a large number of senior departures will give the new man a major challenge to stay in this league next season.

I'm betting that the team is utterly demoralised by this and what it says about the club's ambition.

Personally I cannot understand why any fan of the club would be celebrating today. Regardless of whether they like MM or not, this gives all the wrong messages about the future of our club IMO.
I think ambition is exactly why ME has been forced to make a change. I don't think any fans are celebrating, but I'm sure many fans are optimistic about the future. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, Dubai? You have to agree it is time for a change?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:06 pm

It’s Mevans’ ambition that needs to f**king change, regardless of Mick or the new guy.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Watching LC’s interview on local TV I think there exists something of a siege mentality between a tight-knit bunch of players, committed and loyal to MM, who clearly has their respect, and both club hierarchy and supporters. It’s ‘Us’ against just about everyone else, including local media. Hence the need for MM’s successor to try to break down those barriers, rebuild relationships and act as a unifying presence. No easy task.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Yes time for a change indeed. But still not sure that MM was the change that we really need. We will see what ME's grand plan is but I'm not optimistic that it will actually be any 'change' at all other than the name on the manager's desk.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:49 pm

marko69 wrote:It’s Mevans’ ambition that needs to f**king change, regardless of Mick or the new guy.
Exactly this, and Mick leaving worries me. As much as I get infuriated at his negative tactics and interaction with our fans, I honestly think very few managers would have done a better job with the support (or lack of) from Evans that he's had.

Mick needed to leave in order to get a bit of freshness back in to the club, it gives us a chance with a new manager (and a bit of rejuvenated feeling about the place) to make our way up the table, but in all honesty, if Evans doesn't bring in a good manager and support them with investment, I think it's actually more likely we'll start heading down, hope I'm wrong, because I really can't see Evans opening up his wallet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:28 pm

IF ME does not get the appointment right we WILL go down next season, This could be a sad day in our history not a bloody time to rejoice, this decision about Mick leaving will alone solve nothing.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Well it's finally being done what a lot of fans have been baying for...... the question is now will the club improve under whoever it is or will we be languishing in the lower half of the division. With Mick you know what you were going to get it's going to be Hobson's choice who we get ard where we will be next season. I hope he doesn't come back to haunt us along with one or 2 players who will be moving on for sure. He was a savior at one time now he's the scapegoat for an owner with short pockets as far as the club is concerned.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:50 pm

marko69 wrote:It’s Mevans’ ambition that needs to f**king change, regardless of Mick or the new guy.

And that Marko is the underlying problem. No truer words.

MM one of the most honest managers in the game. He's taking the flak whilst the owner is safely hidden.

Mick done some stupid things and said some crazy things, so have i and so has everybody but at least he was honest. No excuses, no hiding and wonder where will be this time next season if ME doesn't help the new manager more than he ever did MM

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:IF ME does not get the appointment right we WILL go down next season, This could be a sad day in our history not a bloody time to rejoice, this decision about Mick leaving will alone solve nothing.
We could go down even if MM was staying, in my opinion Mike. However, I do agree MM's replacement will need to be carefully researched. I do believe ME will initially release a kitty to whomever the new manager is, and I think a review of the entire club's structure will be needed at some point going forward. We can only hope for success, but you have to admit it's exciting times for ITFC!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:11 pm

I think the kitty is shocked that it could be getting released, 9.