Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 pm

And for the record, Two woman in the hand is fab but I don't want a bush anywhere in sight thanks !!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:......., and I admit I'll be pretty pissed.
FFS, dude. ....... “off!” ......, pissed off! Got Donald Trump left, right and centre on the news..... let’s not Americanise the forum!

Unless of course you mean; No Paul Hurst = case of Beer! :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:And for the record, Two woman in the hand is fab but I don't want a bush anywhere in sight thanks !!!
I don't want to know how big your hands are :lol:

I liked the sound of Ross personally, he seems a bit more unconventional than Hurst, whether that's good or not I don't know. One thing I liked about him is achieving an MA honours degree in economics while also a young player, it may mean nothing, but I think it's a sign that he probably had an eye on the technicalities of football and management far before the end of his playing career and interviews with him seem to confirm that, they often make the best managers, even great players who have been purely devoted to playing seem to fail very regularly. Having said that, 114 games at a relatively poor level is no real guarantee.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:01 pm

A lot of very good posts on here past few days and it’s great to read the differing views.

Certainly does make for a very interesting 18/19 season and looking at how all these other managers are going to perform.

I do agree with you Mike regarding the mentality of being annoyed that Jack Ross didn’t sign and that he’d have been a better choice for ITFC over Hurst. There is no doubt Jack is a good manager but comparing him to Hurst who could still potentially get the Shrews out of League One is a bit strange. Unless of course some fans are basing their views on the interview on St Mirren TV.

Regardless of that, I got 150/1 with a local betting shop for Jack Ross to do the double promotion job, 18/19 & 19/20 seasons. Either auto or play-offs in both seasons. Put £100 on it. Was scrap copper money. Don’t tell the tax-man! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Ricco wrote:
Bluemike wrote:And for the record, Two woman in the hand is fab but I don't want a bush anywhere in sight thanks !!!
I don't want to know how big your hands are :lol:

I liked the sound of Ross personally, he seems a bit more unconventional than Hurst, whether that's good or not I don't know. One thing I liked about him is achieving an MA honours degree in economics while also a young player, it may mean nothing, but I think it's a sign that he probably had an eye on the technicalities of football and management far before the end of his playing career and interviews with him seem to confirm that, they often make the best managers, even great players who have been purely devoted to playing seem to fail very regularly. Having said that, 114 games at a relatively poor level is no real guarantee.
I would agree with you Ricco. Ross appears very focused and driven. He’s a winner. I bet he’s not at Sunderland too long before a bigger Club comes calling!

If we have been interested in Hurst first and foremost, why the hell trawl through 100 applications and undertake several interviews? What’s the point? Interview your target and if you cant, wait until he’s free to talk, but dont waste interviees time by bringing them back for 2nd interviews, when there is no intention of offering them the job because you want someone else , but can’t get to speak to them.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:If we have been interested in Hurst first and foremost, why the hell trawl through 100 applications and undertake several interviews? What’s the point? Interview your target and if you cant, wait until he’s free to talk, but dont waste interviees time by bring8ng the, back for 2nd interviews, when there is no intention of offering the job.
Are you being serious with this Hallamski?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 3:14 pm

marko69 wrote:A lot of very good posts on here past few days and it’s great to read the differing views.

Certainly does make for a very interesting 18/19 season and looking at how all these other managers are going to perform.

I do agree with you Mike regarding the mentality of being annoyed that Jack Ross didn’t sign and that he’d have been a better choice for ITFC over Hurst. There is no doubt Jack is a good manager but comparing him to Hurst who could still potentially get the Shrews out of League One is a bit strange. Unless of course some fans are basing their views on the interview on St Mirren TV.

Regardless of that, I got 150/1 with a local betting shop for Jack Ross to do the double promotion job, 18/19 & 19/20 seasons. Either auto or play-offs in both seasons. Put £100 on it. Was scrap copper money. Don’t tell the tax-man! :D
Marko, I am not annoyed that Jack Ross didnt sign up or that he would be better for ITFC than Paul Hurst, quite the opposite in fact, I much prefer Hurst and am not really getting all the hype nonsense surrounding Ross.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 26, 2018 3:17 pm

marko69 wrote:Regardless of that, I got 150/1 with a local betting shop for Jack Ross to do the double promotion job, 18/19 & 19/20 seasons. Either auto or play-offs in both seasons. Put £100 on it. Was scrap copper money. Don’t tell the tax-man! :D
:lol: best of luck to you!!!

Speaking of odds, Betvictor has it...

1/3 Hurst
6/4 Sherwood

12/1 Bar

Now that's one horse race I'll be watching through my fingers! It will be interesting to see how the outcome of the playoff final tomorrow affects Hurst's odds.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:A lot of very good posts on here past few days and it’s great to read the differing views.

Marko, I am not annoyed that Jack Ross didnt sign up or that he would be better for ITFC than Paul Hurst, quite the opposite in fact, I much prefer Hurst and am not really getting all the hype nonsense surrounding Ross.
:lol: you read my post wrong, buddy.

I agree with you regarding the mentality of others!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Hurst or Sherwood? Jaysus H!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 3:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

:lol: you read my post wrong, buddy.

I agree with you regarding the mentality of others!
Oh sh*t sorry, yes I did LOL.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat May 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Ricco wrote:
We were 16th in the league for attendances, the bookies have essentially made us favourites for relegation, the last manager had no budget to play with, was not supported by those above him and had a sour relationship with the fans, tell me why non-desperate managers would be clambering over each other to get a job here?
Ricco I think you have answered your own question here.

Whilst I'm not a manger myself I would hazard a guess that assuming a competitive package is offered (and we know that is a given as MM was on a fair whack) then two things might be attractive to a new manger depending on his personality:

a. A dead cert club for promotion.
b. A rescue situation where a club has a lot of problems that the new guy feels he can sort out.

I think we all agree that we are not case (a) but it could be said that we are case (b).

Add to this the fact that history suggests that the new guy will be given time to sort things out & I would say that we might look quite attractive to some.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 26, 2018 4:09 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Whilst I'm not a manger myself
Are you sure you can't be tempted? I'd prefer you to Sherwood. You're right, but we could easily be more far attractive than we are, the way the club has been run, MM's approach towards the fans, and the fans too are all at fault to varying degrees for that.
marko69 wrote:Hurst or Sherwood? Jaysus H!
Should I rephrase it... Would you like a house in the Caribbean or Smallpox?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:32 pm

Ricco wrote:
marko69 wrote:Hurst or Sherwood? Jaysus H!
Should I rephrase it... Would you like a house in the Caribbean or Smallpox?
Na man, you misunderstood also........ people are saying “manger”........ so Jaysus H for Town boss! :D

BBC SO’f*ck are reporting seeing a man walk up the Orwell. Could be some truth in this.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 26, 2018 4:35 pm

:lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat May 26, 2018 6:41 pm

:roll: Did you lay a Pony or a Monkey on at 150-1 Marco, because I think your on a very good bet there my son, OH happy days

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Good luck to Jack Ross at Slumberland, a club to whom - in mho - he’s probably more suited, and who he was clearly hoping would make an approach, and take a significant risk, on him. The fact that ME, having spoken to him twice, yet made no firm job offer, probably ended any realistic prospect of him hanging around. That’s football, but I don’t think we’ll live to regret not appointing him.

Looking forward to watching tomorrow’s League 1 play-off final - Paul Hurst, Josh Emmanuel etc. Once that match is done and dusted, the fog should start to clear, resulting in what I hope will be the best outcome for us: ME appoints his first choice, and best fit, candidate.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 9:38 pm

herforder wrote:Good luck to Jack Ross at Slumberland, a club to whom - in mho - he’s probably more suited, and who he was clearly hoping would make an approach, and take a significant risk, on him. The fact that ME, having spoken to him twice, yet made no firm job offer, probably ended any realistic prospect of him hanging around. That’s football, but I don’t think we’ll live to regret not appointing him.

Looking forward to watching tomorrow’s League 1 play-off final - Paul Hurst, Josh Emmanuel etc. Once that match is done and dusted, the fog should start to clear, resulting in what I hope will be the best outcome for us: ME appoints his first choice, and best fit, candidate.
Bang on !!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 26, 2018 11:39 pm

We hope!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 27, 2018 9:38 am

Ross impressed Evans during his two interviews for the Ipswich vacancy but was not offered the job, with the Scot remaining in what became a two-horse race with Hurts. Ross was keen on the Ipswich position but was not prepared to wait on Ipswich after receiving a firm offer from the Black Cats.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 am

Interesting Article....

For Paul Hurst, the ambitious Shrewsbury Town manager, Sunday afternoon’s League One play-off final is the football equivalent of a Casablanca moment: of all the teams in all the world, he had to be drawn against Rotherham.

This was the club where he spent the entirety of his playing career, turning out in the red and white shirt for 15 seasons between 1993 and 2008, a defensive stalwart as the club gained promotion from League Two, then League One before spending four seasons in the Championship. Now he is playing them for the chance to gain elevation to football’s second tier.

“I don’t know if it was because I wasn’t very good and couldn’t secure a move anywhere else,” he says of his one-club record, his accent giving hint of his Yorkshire origins. “A lot of people have said it’s fate that we’re playing them. All I know is, once the game starts, my allegiance is clearly with Shrewsbury.”

As if the challenge was not already substantial enough, the identity of the manager in the opposition technical area makes this the most personal of encounters for Hurst: he played directly behind Paul Warne for Rotherham more than 200 times across six seasons. Not that he expects any cordiality once the whistle blows.

“One thing I know about Warnie, he’s hugely competitive,” says Hurst. “But then so am I. Sometimes that came between us. I can remember one training session, he booted me and I booted him straight back. For that ten minutes we didn’t like each other. It was soon forgotten, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a few words [during the game].”

Meeting up with his old mate and his old club in such an auspicious match was not something Hurst ever imagined happening. Not least because, when the season began, rather than candidates for promotion to the Championship Shrewsbury were universally reckoned favourites for relegation. So much so, that, as a motivational spur, the manager pinned to the dressing room wall a league table published by a bookmaker which predicted that the club was destined for the drop.

“Oh, we’ve massively surprised ourselves,” he says. “Having managed to stay in the league last year, I was optimistic we could survive a little more comfortably this season. But this is all a little surreal; to be in with a shout for automatic promotion for so long was an amazing achievement in itself.”

Amazing because, ever since Hurst took over in December 2016, he has been working with one of the smallest budgets in League One. So modest are finances in this part of Shropshire that, when he tried to sign a player last summer, he was unable to match the terms being offered by Lincoln City, then freshly promoted from the National League.

“When I was at Rotherham, the lads who used to play cards on the bus would say that realistically those with the most money won, because they could keep going and going till everyone else bottled out. I’m trying to prove them wrong, show it’s not all about money.”

Instead of cash, as his team have sought promotion, Hurst says he has relied on two things: science and spirit. The science comes from relentlessly tracking how far each of his players runs in a game, setting targets then subtly increasing them once they have been reached.

“When we hit a certain number, more often than not we won. We certainly didn’t lose,” he says. “People might say every team works hard. Trust me, some work harder than others.” And, according to the club’s Congolese international centre back Aristote Nsiala, the spirit has been generated among the club’s small, tight-knit first team squad by the manager’s approach.

“His man management is on a different level,” says Nsiala. “He just lets you play. Yeah, we do go through formations, watch videos, do our homework. But he makes it clear he believes in his players and lets you get on with it. Every day you come in he’s always got a smile on his face.” Which, Hurst suggests, is not entirely accidental.

“If you enjoy going into work, you’ll work harder, whatever you do for a living,” he says. ‘‘And we work hard.” It is a managerial approach which has been noted: as Shrewsbury have made their way to Wembley, so Hurst’s name has increasingly been mentioned in connection with vacancies at more renowned clubs.

“I’m not trying to pretend that I don’t realise my stock has risen, I’ve had far more personal publicity than I ever have had before,” he says. “But that is only a by-product of the team and club doing well. I hope I am a part of that, allowing people to do their jobs. But I am only a part. From my point of view it’s nice people are talking, it proves we are doing something right.”

Though as he approaches by far the most important game of his managerial career, he accepts that all of the attributes which have taken Shrewsbury this far are likely to be matched by their opponents.

“We are very similar,” he says of sides who beat each other 1-0 during the league season. “Two very fit teams, working very hard. Paul and I are not afraid as managers to highlight work rate as one of our strengths.” It is, he adds, something that both learned from their time together on the pitch.

“The team Paul and I had most success with at Rotherham, I don’t think I’ll hurt anybody’s feelings by saying this, we weren’t the most talented group. But we gave 100 per cent. Nobody enjoyed playing us. Paul ran and ran and ran. He was so fit, he could probably do that now.”

Though he hopes at Wembley that Warne will be running away empty-handed.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 27, 2018 10:27 am

I do expect Hurst to be the next manager.

As we’ve been through mostly the same stuff over and over on here, I thought I would look on the Shrewsbury fans forum. I think most have come to terms with Hurst leaving. There’s a strong rumour that Hurst was offered double his salary on a 3 year deal at Shrewsbury, but he declined it to keep his options open. Most interesting post I saw was one where it was stated that Tony Mowbray would be announced as the new ITFC manager on Tuesday. The sticking point has been the compensation package to Blackburn. :) It looks as if Barnsley have put Hurst on their short list as well.

In other words .... more bollocks, just from a different perspective.

If you’re worried that Derby might swoop in late for Hurst ... then consider this... how would you feel if Hurst is announced as the next Barnsley manager? :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 am

I wonder what odds you’d have got at the start of the season that the BIGGEST game of the season for Ipswich Town would be feckin Rotherham Utd v Shrewsbury Town.

It’s making me think, oh well, favourites for relegation....... but so what....... MASSIVE games in League One!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:34 am

If only Marcus had’ve been wearing this when interviewing Jack Ross. Could’ve sealed the deal. Would’ve helped any homesickness issues.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Ipswich-T ... SwyYFaLwkE

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 27, 2018 11:37 am

marko69 wrote:I wonder what odds you’d have got at the start of the season that the BIGGEST game of the season for Ipswich Town would be feckin Rotherham Utd v Shrewsbury Town.

It’s making me think, oh well, favourites for relegation....... but so what....... MASSIVE games in League One!
Agreed .... it’s a bit weird how our future is tied up in these bloody play-offs. If not the result, but the waiting around.

Tim Sherwood has now been made 9/4 second favourite. It’s probably has been a two horse race all along, but not neccasarily with Jack Ross. Sherwood apparently has impressed Evans.

So a Shrewsbury win could see Hurst staying, but at least we have the comfort of knowing Sherwoods a back-up option. I’m being ironic if that’s not obvious.

I don’t think the result will affect Hursts decision neccasarily, but it does add an extra edge to it if we hope that Hurst’s teams loses today. That’s weird wanting a man you hope who could be a winner for us... to be a loser.

What if Shrewsbury get trounced today and Hurst looks hopeless on the touchline? Would that affect how Town fans look at him or, more importantly, how Evans sees him.
It’s most likely a done deal and TBH I will be glad when this bloody Final’s over whatever the result. It should all come together in the next few days.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 27, 2018 11:39 am

Hurst off to Dubai tomorrow for a family holiday may not help the process.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 27, 2018 11:40 am

Bluemike wrote:Hurst off to Dubai tomorrow for a family holiday may not help the process.
It worked for Jack Ross.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:43 am

Bluemike wrote:Hurst off to Dubai tomorrow for a family holiday may not help the process.
AYE RIGHT!!! If he’s to be “the man”, he better get his decision made before a holiday. He’ll get his passport shoved right up his hole!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:46 am

And Tang..,... Shrewsbury better get trounced today...... there is a bet on that MUST pay out..... got a Eurovision Song Contest mobile phone bill to pay!

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sun May 27, 2018 11:55 am