Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm

tangfastic wrote:I suppose it’s a patience thing and Marcus will come up with the goods next week.

Just had a look at the bookies odds on the next Derby manager.

I see Fat Frank is odds on favourite. I saw Paul Hurst at a lowly 33/1... not even a consideration.

Which begs the question .... Why the f*ck are we going after a manager no one else wants ???? !!!! Sort it out, Evans!!!!
It's likely Hurst is 33/1 due to the interest from Ipswich and Bookies may feel the deal is close.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:Spot on Tony, he's keeping to his word on timing etc but still somehow dragging his heels lmfao, even when the guy is up front he is in the wrong.
I'll be elated if next week we confirm Hurst as manager, I'll be happy that my suspicions were unfounded, but I feel Evans is taking a risk, which of course is his prerogative, but it's also my prerogative to discuss my opinions on the matter and state that I don't trust him/the board as much as some who went all misty-eyed over his 'interview'.

If I'm up front and say at the end of May I'm going to steal a kids ice cream, that doesn't mean I'm right for doing it, in the same way it doesn't make him right for taking the risk. If Hurst has given his assurances, like I'm sure he has, then I would most likely wait too as an owner, but it doesn't go without risk and only in a week or more will we know if it was the right decision. This club has a lousy track record of landing targets in recent years and if they try and pinch pennies from Hurst's contract and he says "go do one, I can see how my tenure is going to be", then we're back to do you want Pardew or Coleman and that is akin to answering which leg do you want to lose.

You can get odds of 4/6 for Hurst, after taking away bookmaker margins, that's essentially a flip of the coin. It's far from a done thing, if it were certain I'd be selling my car and getting some of that 4/6. Yes bookmakers are wrong all the time, but they still know more than anyone on here and will cover their backs if they think Hurst is a definite, if they thought it were just a case of ironing out a few details and signing a contract, then he would be a 1/10 like Ross was.
Last edited by Ricco on Thu May 24, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Watership Down wrote:Phone rings..... Hurst here I hear you are looking for a new manager
ME yes we are, I'm so glad you called we are prepared to double whatever you are getting
Wow that's great I'll be round in the morning.
Oh that's wonderful news looking forward to seeing you then Paul
Paul? This is Geoff and I was looking to boost my pension.
:lol: Haha, very good.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Ricco wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Spot on Tony, he's keeping to his word on timing etc but still somehow dragging his heels lmfao, even when the guy is up front he is in the wrong.
I'll be elated if next week we confirm Hurst as manager, I'll be happy that my suspicions were unfounded, but I feel Evans is taking a risk, which of course is his prerogative, but it's also my prerogative to discuss my opinions on the matter and state that I don't trust him/the board as much as some who went all misty-eyed over his 'interview'.

If I'm up front and say at the end of May I'm going to steal a kids ice cream, that doesn't mean I'm right for doing it, in the same way it doesn't make him right for taking the risk. If Hurst has given his assurances, like I'm sure he has, then I would most likely wait too as an owner, but it doesn't go without risk and only in a week or more will we know if it was the right decision. This club has a lousy track record of landing targets in recent years and if they try and pinch pennies from Hurst's contract and he says "go do one, I can see how my tenure is going to be", then we're back to do you want Pardew or Coleman and that is akin to answering which leg do you want to lose.

You can get odds of 4/6 for Hurst, after taking away bookmaker margins, that's essentially a flip of the coin. It's far from a done thing, if it were certain I'd be selling my car and getting some of that 4/6. Yes bookmakers are wrong all the time, but they still know more than anyone on here and will cover their backs if they think Hurst is a definite, if they thought it were just a case of ironing out a few details and signing a contract, then he would be a 1/10 like Ross was.
What risk is he taking? You are assuming he is waiting purely on Hurst, you are assuming he had Ross as second choice and probably assuming he has no other credible candidates, i think it is spot on to wait to interview your first choice option, if indeed that is the case. In typical ITFC knee jerk fashion many Town fans appear to have gotten all "misty eyed" over Jack Ross!! Never once has the club stated they wanted him, clearly they were interested as he had Two interviews as did Lampard, if Hurst doesn't happen so be it, personally he's always been my firsy choice and I'm glad we appear to be after him.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:What risk is he taking? You are assuming he is waiting purely on Hurst, you are assuming he had Ross as second choice and probably assuming he has no other credible candidates, i think it is spot on to wait to interview your first choice option, if indeed that is the case. In typical ITFC knee jerk fashion many Town fans appear to have gotten all "misty eyed" over Jack Ross!! Never once has the club stated they wanted him, clearly they were interested as he had Two interviews as did Lampard, if Hurst doesn't happen so be it, personally he's always been my firsy choice and I'm glad we appear to be after him.
If we're not going to assume, then we may as well close the thread and wait.

If I had to rate my opinion on the options, I would say Ross was a 8 or 9/10, Hurst close to 10/10, but I'm not sure anything else would really scrape much above a 7, so in that regard I certainly hope he is waiting purely on Hurst. If that is the scenario, then there is of course a risk in waiting, you run the risk of missing out on both of them and having to settle for the dregs of the managerial world.

There is a good chance that Ross was a bird in the hand that we gambled to get the two in the bush, that's fine, but this club has been great at missing out on young exciting talent and ending up with washed up has-beens, I hope they buck the trend. Its obviously a hugely important appointment and I now see the gap between Hurst and the next best option as vast, I'm going to be cheering on Rotherham this weekend as much as I do Town v the scum, because I'm not happy with the vibes right now, the fact that the stories popping up are stating that the club "does have back up options" is probably a sign that they're not either.

Bookies have Hurst now evens, in their opinion a worse than 50% chance he is coming here.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Ricco wrote:There is a good chance that Ross was a bird......
Funny you should say that because it definitely looked like he was wearing mascara during post match interviews.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 am

Ricco wrote:
Bluemike wrote:What risk is he taking? You are assuming he is waiting purely on Hurst, you are assuming he had Ross as second choice and probably assuming he has no other credible candidates, i think it is spot on to wait to interview your first choice option, if indeed that is the case. In typical ITFC knee jerk fashion many Town fans appear to have gotten all "misty eyed" over Jack Ross!! Never once has the club stated they wanted him, clearly they were interested as he had Two interviews as did Lampard, if Hurst doesn't happen so be it, personally he's always been my firsy choice and I'm glad we appear to be after him.
If we're not going to assume, then we may as well close the thread and wait.

If I had to rate my opinion on the options, I would say Ross was a 8 or 9/10, Hurst close to 10/10, but I'm not sure anything else would really scrape much above a 7, so in that regard I certainly hope he is waiting purely on Hurst. If that is the scenario, then there is of course a risk in waiting, you run the risk of missing out on both of them and having to settle for the dregs of the managerial world.

There is a good chance that Ross was a bird in the hand that we gambled to get the two in the bush, that's fine, but this club has been great at missing out on young exciting talent and ending up with washed up has-beens, I hope they buck the trend. Its obviously a hugely important appointment and I now see the gap between Hurst and the next best option as vast, I'm going to be cheering on Rotherham this weekend as much as I do Town v the scum, because I'm not happy with the vibes right now, the fact that the stories popping up are stating that the club "does have back up options" is probably a sign that they're not either.

Bookies have Hurst now evens, in their opinion a worse than 50% chance he is coming here.
Ricco, you are spot on in most of what you say and the bit highlighted is the main thing for me and that is why we are 100% correct in waiting and getting right, even if that is a gamble or a bit of a risk, to have jumped in and offered Ross the job would in my opinion have been wrong until Hurst was spoken to, I believe he has always been our top target, I am assuming he has already been spoken to in some way, I also assume he has shown enough interest for Evans to be calm enough to let this roll on a while, as I have aid a few times personally I think it is a done deal, obviously I am going to be the one that is really disappointed above many others on here such is my confidence on Hurst being appointed and this is why ME has interviewed scores of others which he had to do, every club has a main target when looking to appoint and I be very few actually get their number One option so in that regard we are no different.

I know it is easy to say after the event but at the start I wasn't ovelry excited by jack Ross and then with all the hype I warmed to him but we do have to remember this is the Scottish championship he has had his only success in and while he may prove to be top notch I think he would have been a massive gamble, far bigger than hurst I think has done it at different levels and currently a much better level than Ross has, I just don't get the level of disappointment having seemingly lost out on the chance of Ross being available, and that is all it was, we didn't "miss out" on him as we offered him nothing and after Two interviews that should tell us something, if he was that impressive I think he would have been offered the post. My colours are nailed firmly to the mast here, Shrewsbury boss Paul Hurst will be our boss by the end of next week, win lose or draw Sunday !!!! :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 am

Bluemike wrote:
Ricco wrote:

What risk is he taking? You are assuming he is waiting purely on Hurst, you are assuming he had Ross as second choice and probably assuming he has no other credible candidates, i think it is spot on to wait to interview your first choice option, if indeed that is the case. In typical ITFC knee jerk fashion many Town fans appear to have gotten all "misty eyed" over Jack Ross!! Never once has the club stated they wanted him, clearly they were interested as he had Two interviews as did Lampard, if Hurst doesn't happen so be it, personally he's always been my firsy choice and I'm glad we appear to be after him.
I don’t think it’s an assumption that we are waiting on Hurst. It’s a certainty. Im pretty sure Ross impressed and was a strong second candidate. Looking at the list of candidates already interviewed or heavily linked I think there’s a bit of a gap in credible candidates between Hurst and Ross. I note from the EADT report which seems to be purposely leaked from the club that they got in touch with agents from other credible managers who had not applied ( Steijn, Nathan Jones, Darrell Clarke), which hints that they weren’t happy with the other applicants.

No doubt it is a risk. You decide to hang around waiting on one candidate whilst other clubs act more decisively on the surface. It is a risk, and still is, but you can mitigate the risk by making some arrangement with Hurst in advance. The EADT report mentions there’s been ‘third party’ contact already.... and we can make of it as we see fit ... either it’s just a loose, informal agreement to talk later or we’re already heavily involved with Hurst on a contractual agreement already. I would like to think we’re just waiting for the play offs to end before we announce Hurst as manager. In which case, ME has played his hand very well and should be given credit.
As Rico says, we have got history with signings in coming second best ( I remember Charlie Austin, for example) so I can understand the anxiety. If Hurst doesn’t want us, I would question ME’s strategy and he’ll have to work hard to get someone suitable through the door. I wouldn’t mind Nathan Jones or Darrell Clarke, but it appears we’re just sounding them out at the moment.

In a perfect scenario, we would have five strong candidates all lined up to be interviewed at the same time.... and then after you can enter negotiations with the top candidate... if that doesn’t work out you can quickly go the second choice... and so on...

I can really understand the concern because we’re waiting on one guy ( don’t buy we have already a suitable replacement lined up yet) and we see other clubs target someone they want and decisively get them. Giving ME the benefit of the doubt, I’ll say he’s heavily involved with Hurst and expect to get him through the door next week. But I’m not nearly as confident as Mike . :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 am

The worry is also the fact that there is nothing illegal at all about any other club (a bigger dosh club like Derby) talking to Hurst prior to this League One play off final. Unless Mevans has made some kind of legal down payment to secure the guy, then he has no loyalties to Ipswich Town at all.

Just trying to find answers to why fans are worried. It’s not really the act of knee-jerkers; it’s realising that in football (where a months wages at one club is a weeks wages at another) anything can happen. Add Mevans being a tight bstd into the equation and again, this qualifies the worry.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 25, 2018 7:46 am

marko69 wrote:The worry is also the fact that there is nothing illegal at all about any other club (a bigger dosh club like Derby) talking to Hurst prior to this League One play off final. Unless Mevans has made some kind of legal down payment to secure the guy, then he has no loyalties to Ipswich Town at all.

Just trying to find answers to why fans are worried. It’s not really the act of knee-jerkers; it’s realising that in football (where a months wages at one club is a weeks wages at another) anything can happen. Add Mevans being a tight bstd into the equation and again, this qualifies the worry.
I agree it’s not a case of being an unreasonable knee jerk reaction.... and Hurst has every right to look at all options. This play-off final will really boost his reputation this weekend.... win or lose.
I’m wanting to be positive and hope it’s a done deal, but there could be many other scenarios after the whistle has blown. If we haven’t got a deal signed, Hurst and his agent must know we’ve hung on for him and badly want him which gives them that added assurance to listen to other clubs in the meantime. Why should they hurry this through? It could be that Hursts agent (that third party ?) is sending reassuring signals to us, whilst doing the same to other clubs. It’s just we’re the only ones who’ve set a deadline which transparently makes our intentions on Hurst known.

We’ll only see next week and whilst I’m actually hopeful, I don’t have complete faith in ME to have this in the bag yet. I’d give ME far more credit for sealing this deal than a half hour video which took 10 years to make.

Don’t think there’s anything wrong in being anxious about it... we all see things differently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 25, 2018 8:00 am

What is knee jerk is the way some just want to knock ME for the smallest thing, nobody has a bloody clue what is going on behind the scenes, knock him if it goes tits up by all means but jesus christ the morons on Facebook etc are out in force bemoaning the fact (it isn't) that Sunderland beat us to Ross (they didnt) and that we are dragging our heels again despite being clearly told an appointment would be next week earliest. These cave dwelling inbred thickos really make me laugh, the numbskulls lol.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am

tangfastic wrote:I’d give ME far more credit for sealing this deal than a half hour video which took 10 years to make.
:lol: That’s one way of putting it, but yep, very true.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 am

Bluemike wrote:What is knee jerk is the way some just want to knock ME for the smallest thing, nobody has a bloody clue what is going on behind the scenes, knock him if it goes tits up by all means but jesus christ the morons on Facebook etc are out in force bemoaning the fact (it isn't) that Sunderland beat us to Ross (they didnt) and that we are dragging our heels again despite being clearly told an appointment would be next week earliest. These cave dwelling inbred thickos really make me laugh, the numbskulls lol.
Norwich folk are in on the act too? FFS!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:46 am

im with Bluemike on this one, I think Hurst will be the new manager. We must have sounded him out, probably via an agent or 3rd party. But I would say its clear there is some interest, he hasn't come out and said hes not interested, hes kept very quiet and when questioned he couldn't confirm that he would be at Shrewsbury next season. Reports say that Ross was keen on Sunderland because of how much they wanted him, could be a similar scenario between us and Hurst. I was a bit concerned that Derby may come in for him and that would give him a big decision to make, but it doesn't sound like they will.

Looking at the hard facts, the job that Hurst has done at Shrewsbury has been on a limited budget, giving the club an identity, its not been one of spending money and making a team out of bigger players, therefore I think he suits us more than Derby at this moment.

However if for any reason Hurst decides not to come to us, then I am sure Evans will have some other options in mind, hes surely not stupid enough to put all his eggs in his basket. Its true we may have been impressed by Ross but timing means we did not want to offer him anything until we had at least spoken to Hurst. Id imagine we have an A, B and C choice in mind, Ross may have been one of them but will now be replaced by someone else. We seem to be keeping our powder dry until the moment we have to commit, I think its quite sensible to be honest. We could have done a QPR and got rid of Mick and brought in McLaren almost immediately after, then we would have all been angry.

Lets keep calm, I have a feeling things will work out the way we want them to, if not feel free to remind me of this post!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 25, 2018 8:54 am

charlton837 wrote:im with Bluemike on this one, I think Hurst will be the new manager. We must have sounded him out, probably via an agent or 3rd party. But I would say its clear there is some interest, he hasn't come out and said hes not interested, hes kept very quiet and when questioned he couldn't confirm that he would be at Shrewsbury next season. Reports say that Ross was keen on Sunderland because of how much they wanted him, could be a similar scenario between us and Hurst. I was a bit concerned that Derby may come in for him and that would give him a big decision to make, but it doesn't sound like they will.

Looking at the hard facts, the job that Hurst has done at Shrewsbury has been on a limited budget, giving the club an identity, its not been one of spending money and making a team out of bigger players, therefore I think he suits us more than Derby at this moment.

However if for any reason Hurst decides not to come to us, then I am sure Evans will have some other options in mind, hes surely not stupid enough to put all his eggs in his basket. Its true we may have been impressed by Ross but timing means we did not want to offer him anything until we had at least spoken to Hurst. Id imagine we have an A, B and C choice in mind, Ross may have been one of them but will now be replaced by someone else. We seem to be keeping our powder dry until the moment we have to commit, I think its quite sensible to be honest. We could have done a QPR and got rid of Mick and brought in McLaren almost immediately after, then we would have all been angry.

Lets keep calm, I have a feeling things will work out the way we want them to, if not feel free to remind me of this post!

We could have done a QPR and got rid of Mick and brought in McLaren almost immediately after, then we would have all been angry. “

... and that’s another top candidate we missed out on !!!! Sort it out, Evans !!!! :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 am

I think I’ll need to start reading this TWTD thing and find out more about what’s being said. Purely due to people saying, “let’s keep calm!” I haven’t read anyone losing their sh*t on this forum so it must be happening elsewhere.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri May 25, 2018 9:46 am

Bluemike wrote:What is knee jerk is the way some just want to knock ME for the smallest thing, nobody has a bloody clue what is going on behind the scenes, knock him if it goes tits up by all means but jesus christ the morons on Facebook etc are out in force bemoaning the fact (it isn't) that Sunderland beat us to Ross (they didnt) and that we are dragging our heels again despite being clearly told an appointment would be next week earliest. These cave dwelling inbred thickos really make me laugh, the numbskulls lol.
I quite agree Mike.

I also think the local media (EADT) don't help the situation by recycling the same crap day after day. They have no more idea who will be appointed and in my opinion continue to stir the pot by printing absolute rubbish. They should be ashamed.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am

I've never looked at any Town stuff on FB and have gone on TWTD twice maybe three times over the years, I even only really read news stories that have been linked to on here, so my thoughts and reservations about Evans and the board are purely my own, so I hope I don't get lumped in with those knocking Evans, I'm not spitting vitriol here, I'm being cautious and anxious as to how this will all turn out. I choose this place because by and large you get balanced, logical thought rather than fickle emotional rantings, I don't think we need to worry about that crap spilling over in to here and if people's opinions may occasionally align with those, I don't think they should be stamped out for fear of the numbskulls' virus spreading.

At this point Evans has done nothing wrong and he hasn't gone against his word, but he's not immune to criticism and in waiting to talk to more managers he has already made a not insignificant decision that we can discuss, and if we do end up getting the oldest, cheapest has-been option, then he's stuck his neck out and the buck will stop with him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 am

Not at all Ricco, always rated your input and was disappointed when you went awol for a time, there are ways of putting things across and those prats i speak of are not capable of it.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 am

Just imagine what it is going to be like at the end of next week when Marcus says Hurst was always my first choice.
Say Hi to everybody Geoff. :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:58 am

Watership Down beat you to it, Shed! :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:Not at all Ricco, always rated your input and was disappointed when you went awol for a time, there are ways of putting things across and those prats i speak of are not capable of it.
Yeah, I think I'll stick to this forum by the sounds of the alternatives!

Does anyone have an opinion of the level of the Scottish Championship vs League One by the way? I imagine the quality is probably more aligned to League Two, that's one thing about Ross, I don't know the level he was at, and although St Mirren were bottom when he took over, that may have been a bit of a false position?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:07 pm

I would say Scottish Championship is mid to higher League TWO in England.

But Jack has proved that he can get better from a group of players that were previously on a complete downer. Obviously quality matters but when it’s on a level playing field (quality wise) Ross can do a managers job.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Yeah he seems a very interesting type of manager and a decent bloke, I hope he does well, hopefully Sunderland is not too big a pond too soon.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm

marko69 wrote:Watership Down beat you to it, Shed! :D
:oops: :oops:

I will go back in to hibernation. :cry: At least until the end of next week! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:28 pm

It’s definitely not going to be easy for Jack @ Sunderland.

Like Hibs in the Scottish Championship...... every other club saw them as top dogs and it was like a cup final for them......, and more often than not, they park the bus and it can be frustratingly difficult to break down. This is what Jack could potentially face next season and also why Tony Mowbray should be given more credit for getting Blackburn back up after one season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 25, 2018 12:36 pm

What i saw of Sunderland at their place he has a monumental job on his hands !!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri May 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:What i saw of Sunderland at their place he has a monumental job on his hands !!
And won't have much time to put it right.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri May 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:He hasnt turned us down though Derick as we hadnt offered him anything, he has jumped at the chance of a big job much closer to home, good luck to him. The reason Evans wants to interview Hurst is because he has always been his first choice so for me resisting the temptation of opting for second best is spot on, of course Hurst may not happen either but I tend to think he's a cert to be here next week, although ive been wrong before!!! Or have I ??? No f*ck it I'm never wrong.....welcome Paul Hurst LMAO.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44238168. Read this, seems he may have been offered the job?