Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Ricco

Re: Towns Next Manager Rumour Thread

Post by Ricco » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Very limited odds market at the moment, but at least it's a list of names to look at. Cowley has just moved to 2/1, personally looking at the alternatives there, I'd happily take the gamble on a lower league manager. Cowley has more experience than Burley had, but the one big problem is being 39 and only ever playing at a poor level, are the players going to respect his word and is he going to be assertive enough and a big enough name to get the most out of Evans' fiercely guarded pockets?

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:I do not want any bloody ex Town players, it does my sodding head in at the mere suggestion TBH. Nor do I want McLaren, Davis or Warburton.
What are your reasons for warburton Mike?

I thought he did well at Brentford on a limited budget and played decent football and comes with championship experience. He was the first that sprung to mind for me. Glad it's not me making the decision.

I agree defo no explayers we don't want the Brian Gunn effect!

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Would not rule out an ex player, provided he was the best available for ITFC. Past playing history is exactly that, and should not automatically rule anyone out - that would be unnecessarily short sighted. That said, realistically, options are limited - eg Shefki? Really?!

(Just watching Tony Mowbray’s Blackburn playing Bradford. Good stuff. He would be a good fit here - but getting a deal done, compensation etc, might prove difficult - assuming of course TM was interested. If Blackburn win, they go top of League 1......)

ME likely to prefer an individual currently looking for employment.

karlywoo

Post by karlywoo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 pm

I would like to see this Dutch guy given a run, we were linked with last year, has done very well on limited funds, instills the correct mindset in his players etc, his name fails me (senior moment), and i enjoy watching Dutch football, its refreshing..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:30 pm

marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:Oops, I forgot McGreal played for Ipswich! Must’ve been pre-internet / post Town being top flight days! :shock:
LOL, I wasn't having a dig at you Marko, it just isn't the way forward for me.
No, didn’t think it was a dig, Mike...... I genuinely forgot he once played for the club. I’ve since looked at an old Ipswich v Crystal Palace programme and he’s in the team. Alzheimer’s kicking in. Neighbour was out this morning walking his dog....., lived in the street for 9 years and I completely forgot his name.
Fido ??

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Ando wrote:
Bluemike wrote:I do not want any bloody ex Town players, it does my sodding head in at the mere suggestion TBH. Nor do I want McLaren, Davis or Warburton.

I thought he did well at Brentford on a limited budget and played decent football and comes with championship experience. He was the first that sprung to mind for me. Glad it's not me making the decision.

Brentford apart I just don't think he has been all that TBH, I also think he is a bit of a c*ck.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Simon Grayson, currently Bradford’s manager until end of season. MM would allegedly support him. Unspectacular but, all things considered, a possible ME choice.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 pm

No ex-Town players for me, they could be past crowd favorites or provided some considerable service of merit, but would ideally wish for someone proven or with some extensive experience.

Any chance of Ranieri. What I mean is, Leicester City are in truth no bigger in stature than ourselves but what he did for them was outstanding. Maybe get abuse that such an appointment could never occur here, but as before if he took on the job there, then why not the possibility of an opportunity at this club.

Other random names thrown out that are worth consideration : Ted Howe, Derek McInnes, Michael Laudrup perhaps.

All rumor and conjecture at this point in time, until an actual name has been confirmed, anyone's guess is as good as the other.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 pm

It's interesting that Danny Cowley is favourite, another who plays direct and physical football and yet many are keen to see him come in.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:00 pm

:roll: Well I would like to see Louis Enrique or Paulo Bento as the next manager, :D :D bring some style and sexy football back to PR

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:23 pm

Fabio Capello just Sacked by J S Suning 28/3/18 Hmmmm coincidence.
Thomas Christiansen Ex Leeds United Manager..?
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:It's interesting that Danny Cowley is favourite, another who plays direct and physical football and yet many are keen to see him come in.
It think that's more of a statement about the other managers available / linked with the club!

I wouldn't imagine many on here would have seen enough of Lincoln to hold much of an opinion on his style of play, and maybe direct physical football is more of a result of what is successful in the lower leagues. It's a gamble, but many want something different, they don't want a run of steady proven managers and 10 more years of mid table finishes, they're happy to gamble. There's a poll that shows most would prefer a young manager from the lower leagues and Cowley has a higher win %age than any manager has ever had at Ipswich, so maybe it's a fit, maybe it would be a disaster, I don't know.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 pm

No, Shep is the dog, Mike....... didn’t forget that; ‘‘tis a great dug! :D

Thanks for that list of names, Ricco.

No to every one of them though! :lol:

I must admit, if it had to be one of them, I WOULD take a punt on Mowbray. But you are getting into a debate over who the “bigger” club is. Blackburn Rovers or Ipswich Town? Are Ipswich big enough to approach Blackburn?

Saint, no to Derek McInnes. That Aberdeen team is a very good team that’s made up of youngsters coming through, and a few lucky loans. I say lucky, because his team gelled well. They’ve had injuries and he hasn’t handled that very well at all. He should’ve really had 2nd place consolidated by now and he hasn’t. For me, very much a “stumble upon a formula” manager.

Add to that his Bristol City stint. Definite no.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Ando wrote:

Brentford apart I just don't think he has been all that TBH, I also think he is a bit of a c*ck.
:lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:23 pm

Paul Hurst would be my lower league gamble.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:38 am

Definitely think the younger lower league manager is the way to go.

Paul Cook at Wigan is doing a good job and did well at Portsmouth. However, he’s likely to get promotion to th3 Championship and can’t see us prising him away. Cowley could be easier to tempt from Lincoln, especially if they can’t get in the play-offs.

We might need to think again about the style of play. Is it really attractive, passing football vs direct long ball?

If direct football is played well it can be exciting. You just have to be set up to be positive, hit good long balls, a good target man, have forward runners. It’s not just our style is long ball, I just feel we’ve concentrated too much on our half with too many defensive players. No offence to Skuse, but as he’s been in a shoe-in we’ve kind of built a team around him. Add a defensive player or two to help him and we’re mostly scavenging around in our half.

Can’t believe some of the names coming up ... Sherwood? Megson? Forget about former players .... Kuqi!!!! Come on... it can work sometimes, but fans put far too much emphasise on former players alliance to the club and what effect it can have.

Give me an upcoming manager who has something to prove and see Town as a step up.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 am

Martin Jol.......If ME will match his wages. Has good European pedigree and knowledge of Dutch league.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:57 am

I would like Steve Clarke (Kilmarnock), Paul Hurst (Shrewsbury) or Nathan Jones (Luton), if we are going down the bit of a gamble route, failing that we need a manager with proven experience of doing things on a stupid budget.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:21 am

Paul Hurst seems a good shout.

I get the impression Nathan Jones is MM approved.

Seeing that MM and ME are seemingly still on the same page, I wonder how much influence Mick could have on the new appointment?

If he’s pissed of he might sneakily be bigging up McClaren ... “ Steve’s different class .... just needs time... give him a five year contract”.

Don’t p*ss Mick off for the last eight games :)

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:38 am

I’d be very happy with Paul hurst, Nathan jones or Danny Cowley but not sure I can see ME going for it. Tang is right about direct football, it can be exciting if you have attacking intent. Gary Rowett falls under that category and I wouldn’t have minded getting him when he left Birmingham. Fans want entertaining football, that doesn’t necessarily mean tippy tippy imo

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:40 am

I think it's too late LOL, he's already well pissed off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:41 am

I just get this horrible feeling it's going to be Mowbray.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:55 am

Bluemike wrote:I just get this horrible feeling it's going to be Mowbray.
That wouldn't be end of the world. Could be worse. I'd rather Mowbray than McLaren pardew or someone like that. Probably pick Mogga over Warburton as well. He's not perfect but we could do worse. Not sure how Blackburn fans feel about him

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:01 am

Paul Tisdale, Exeter manager, would also be a reasonable shout. But prizing any under contract individual away will inevitably involve compensation. Not sure to what extent, if any, ME would want to go down that route - or if the preferred individual, or his current employers, would agree to release. How attractive, under ME, are we?

Football is a pretty insular environment. Those within the game will know how the club operates under ME’s ownership, have seen what MM had to endure (albeit some self-inflicted wounds), and know that the challenge of trying to achieve the magic formula of playing entertaining and winning football, uniting the supporters, on a shoe-string budget, is an almost impossible challenge in an increasingly brutal C’ship environment. Probably the issue on which MM and ME could not ‘meet in the middle’ on Wednesday.

Of course someone will be appointed, and no doubt believe they possess the complete set of skills needed to succeed. Whether it’s Steve McL, or a younger model, the stakes for the club’s future are very high.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:54 am

I wouldn’t be surprised if Simon Grayson is considered.

His name was put there in the EADT list of candidates..... and he’s out of contract at the end of the season at Bradford.

Most importantly.... Mick always spoke sympathetically and very supportively of him.... basically he’s a mate of Mick’s and I think the mates network goes a long way to keeping the managers merry go round turning.

Flip side to that... he’s probably moaning to him about numbskull fans and telling him to steer clear.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:08 am

I take on board what Charlton is saying regarding the people that have sat near him at PR for 15 years, and them becoming frustrated...... Probably take offence to the “numbskull” reference.

But let’s be serious, there are proper, 100%, full pedigree, numbskulls smattering every football ground in the country. ALWAYS the usual suspects regardless of what the manager puts on the park. But for me, the real honest to God numbskulls are the ones who just plain and simple do not like the guy in charge. We have Neil Lennon in charge at Hibernian at the moment and I tell you, the numbskull numbers have risen a few percent.

McCarthy is no doubt bang on the money with the numbskull reference towards “some” of the Portman Road crowd.

And I see Terry Butcher amongst the names. FUUUKING NOOOOOOO!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:27 am

charlton837 wrote:
That wouldn't be end of the world. Could be worse. I'd rather Mowbray than McLaren pardew or someone like that. Probably pick Mogga over Warburton as well. He's not perfect but we could do worse. Not sure how Blackburn fans feel about him
"Could do worse" is not good enough for me, this has to be got right or we are in the sh*t, Mogga may be doing ok now but has a chequered past and I don't like this old boy returning to club nonsense one bit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:29 am

marko69 wrote:I take on board what Charlton is saying regarding the people that have sat near him at PR for 15 years, and them becoming frustrated...... Probably take offence to the “numbskull” reference.

But let’s be serious, there are proper, 100%, full pedigree, numbskulls smattering every football ground in the country. ALWAYS the usual suspects regardless of what the manager puts on the park. But for me, the real honest to God numbskulls are the ones who just plain and simple do not like the guy in charge. We have Neil Lennon in charge at Hibernian at the moment and I tell you, the numbskull numbers have risen a few percent.

McCarthy is no doubt bang on the money with the numbskull reference towards “some” of the Portman Road crowd.

And I see Terry Butcher amongst the names. FUUUKING NOOOOOOO!
Absolutely spot on Marko and we at Ipswich have some real f**king numbskulls who don't possess a brain cell amongst them, they think it is funny to goad and insult a manager, to boo during games and to hurl abuse whenever they see fit, then when it is returned their way they cry like f**king pussies, which they are.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:22 pm

charlton837 wrote:

Sitting as they do top of League 1, following last night’s win over Simon Grayson’s Bradford City, would imagine they’re feeling pretty made up with TM. Watched most of the match, and it was a deserved win - achieved by playing some of the stuff people in this neck of the woods have been crying out for. TM has acquired some useful signings, Bradley Dack for example, and has got Blackburn playing the right way. Might not necessarily work here - but his current league position diesn’t lie, and were he available should not be ruled out on solely on the grounds of being an ex player. That was a long time ago now.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:24 pm

But a manager should never get involved in that. Sometimes you have to take it on the chin and find a way of keeping the peace. By doing what Mick does it results in more fans joining in and taking a disliking to him. It's no coincidence the exact same thing happened at wolves.

And let's be honest at times Mick has been the one to start with the insults. Take the forest home game as an example when things were just about settling down again. The man can't help himself