Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 pm

I actually have !!!! Lmfao

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon May 28, 2018 9:49 pm

If he’s done fu*k all to date, now’s probably going to be his chance then!

Anyway, what’s wrong with wanting a messiah? Must be our turn soon, having done our time in purgatory!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Last edited by hallamblue on Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Mon May 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Poor bugger needs a holiday. Can’t we leave him alone for a few days.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 pm

I bet the truth of it is we had already interviewed him.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:I bet the truth of it is we had already interviewed him.
Looks that way doesn't it? I thought you said you didn't want such shady characters at the club? :lol:

Seems like betting has been suspended, so surely down to formalities now, still opportunities for it to fall through, but hopefully we can put these nasty few weeks of worrying about the likes of McClaren, Sherwood and Pardew behind us and look forward to the club's next chapter...
Last edited by Ricco on Mon May 28, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 28, 2018 10:45 pm

A market has already opened for next Shrewsbury manager :lol:

McCarthy 25/1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 pm

Shady b*stard !!!

All joking aside it's been done correctly with waiting till after play offs etc and fair play to ME the appointment looks like being bang on when he said it would be. Assuming it is finalised we will actually get our number one target which is pleasing

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:54 pm

Let's just hope he doesn't go out for a public bevvy in Dubai or it'll be back to the Sherwood idea!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:Shady b*stard !!!

All joking aside it's been done correctly with waiting till after play offs etc and fair play to ME the appointment looks like being bang on when he said it would be. Assuming it is finalised we will actually get our number one target which is pleasing
Have to agree on this, whatever we think of ME and my feelings on him are very much up in the air. Have to say though if we do get Paul then hats off, ME actually seemingly have gone about this totally correctly..

Unlike how it seems Sunderland and Ross

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:Andy you make some good points but i think i am right in saying you were keen on Jack Ross ? The step up from the level he was performing at is far greater than that of Hursts which is why Ross has jumped at the chance of a League One job which is massively paid and one which should really see Sunderland romp it with their new found investment, he is no fool.

You’re absolutely correct Mike, from what i’ve read and learned about him I think Jack Ross is going to be something very special in football management, maybe the next Alex Ferguson having followed in his footsteps, a slight exaggeration maybe but we’ll just have to wait and see. As far as the two jobs we’re concerned if I were offered a management job at both Sunderland and Ipswich my decision would be exactly the same as Jack Ross, and give it 3yrs I expect Sunderland to be ranked higher than Ipswich Town in the football league rankings.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon May 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:I bet the truth of it is we had already interviewed him.
Have thought along these lines too Mike. I would like to think that both clubs involved were open with each other from the off, but decided it was best the initial interview was kept under wraps, for the sake of Shrewsburys play off push.
The positives coming out of the Hurst camp would have been enough to establish that, no matter how well Jack Ross interviewed, hanging on a bit longer was not the "big risk" some saw it as being. However, this was always going to be a massive appointment for ME and it was correct that he undertook 2nd interviews to be absolutely certain.
These are just my speculations, but none of us are ever likely to be privy to how this whole process unfurled.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 pm

Charnwood wrote:give it 3yrs I expect Sunderland to be ranked higher than Ipswich Town in the football league rankings.
I'd give it about 3 games in to next season! Over the last few days I've felt like Ross could well have been the better option, but I'm happy with Hurst, both are streets ahead of the alternatives I feel.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue May 29, 2018 6:08 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
rossi wrote:yes Mike, but that was just ONE game also. Don't get me wrong, if Hurst is appointed I will give him my full support (same as I will for whoever gets the job) but i do not for one minute think he's the messiah that some proclaim him to be.
Spot on well said. He has not really done f*ck all to be fair. So I don't know what all the hype is about. If was not for Blue Mike banging on and on about him this thread would be 20 pages less. :roll:

Hell hes only 43, give him a chance.

What is wrong here? What did you achieve Derick by age of 43?

Yes hes a gamble, yes he is young, yes basically in all honestly Ipswich is a stepping stone, make or break time. "If" Paul is appointed i will give him a fair chance. who else is out there? Every name who's been mentioned people been been groaning about. From Lampard to Ross, from Tim Sherwood to Alan Pardew.

Ipswich got to appoint somebody, hope whoever they appoint the fans will give that person a chance
I had won the Premiership 3 times the FA cup twice and 1 European cup, On Football Manager!!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 29, 2018 8:10 am

It looks like we’re just waiting for the formal announcement.

In which case, Evans looks likes he’s done his homework and got his number 1 choice. Full marks to him for that. Whether anyone else prefers a different manager.... that’s a different argument.

I like the fact he’s going for a young up and coming manager. It was either Ross or Hurst for me. Hurst seems a more solid choice than Ross, although I wouldn’t have minded Ross, at all.

Although it’s a risk getting a young manager, we’ve come to the stage where I feel the risk was necessary .

One of the major problems of the long drawn out recruitment saga was there was so many names cast about. I can see if and when Hurst has a sticky patch then they’ll be the obvious jibes about how we should have got Ross or Steijn or Burley or Gary White.

I wouldn’t say I am excited, but optimistic and realistic. To be honest, im a bit nervous for Hurst as I think fans expectations could be a tad too much at first. Hurst has genuinely earnt this and it’s not as if he’s talked himself into a job on hot air, so hopefully fans will get behind him from the start and give him time.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Tue May 29, 2018 8:50 am

TBH, I think we've been talking to him for sometime., and the deal is all but done.

The Rotherham manager(Hurst friend) nearly gave it away in his post match interview.

"Husrty is going to go on to bigger things"

This suggests he already knew what the outcome is going to be

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 am

Hurst got a bunch of players at Shrewsbury playing well above their apparent level. That means he is a great motivator. Regardless of his experience to date this ability is key I would say and very well demonstrated already.

I'm excited about this even though I was a MM fan to the end I can see how this could be very positive for us.

Also even though the standard of players is higher in the Championship the game is still the same. I don't think that the philosophy of it is different. Sure he will have some work to do to catch up on the other teams (except for two) but then there will be lots of changes before the start of the season at all of them so he won't be the only one playing catch-up in August.

What I like very much is that he has good coaching qualifications, he's done his badges.

I think he will have the respect of the senior players.

All looking good. Just need to get that contract signed........

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 am

Without doubt there has been duscreet, back-channel, contact between clubs for some time. But handled respectfully by all parties - albeit the media were also being quietly kept in the loop.

Hurst was always ME’s first choice; I think S’land are taking far more of a risk - but time will be the final judge. The relative status of both clubs, in terms of size, fan base and past histories etc, won’t change, though!

Possibke that PH’s appointment could be.confirmed today - the ground-work all but completed.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 am

herforder wrote:Without doubt there has been duscreet, back-channel, contact between clubs for some time. But handled respectfully by all parties - albeit the media were also being quietly kept in the loop.

Hurst was always ME’s first choice; I think S’land are taking far more of a risk - but time will be the final judge. The relative status of both clubs, in terms of size, fan base and past histories etc, won’t change, though!

Possibke that PH’s appointment could be.confirmed today - the ground-work all but completed.
There must have been high-level talks. And it’s in Shrewsbury’s interest as well... they must have known there was a very high chance of Hurst leaving and they need to get a manager in place for start of pre-season. I’m sure they’re gutted, but i can’t see the scenario where they would wait to pin their hopes on Hurst staying and then be left in limbo.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:53 am

I think the official club website saying the words "town closing in on new manager" means that we are very confident this will get over the line quickly. We didn't just confirm we had permission to speak with him.

I also think this will be confirmed today/tomorrow, my guess is a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd, I think we have to view this as a long term project but I don't expect Evans to be risking a 3 or 4 year deal, you know what hes like, maybe that's a sensible thing, if Hurst does a solid job this season it can always be reviewed and extended.

Excited to see what the next season or two may offer

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 29, 2018 10:14 am

Got some time on my hands and just went on the Shrewsbury forum.

Not only have they accepted Hurst leaving, but there’s accusations of Town “tapping” Hurst up in an illegal approach. There’s a bit of sour grapes ... especially towards Hurst. Pretty much blamed the Play Off defeat on our underhand dealing with Hurst. Brian Caldwell (chief exec ) has been interviewed stating his disappontment in Hurst.
Not a great deal of goodwill coming towards Hurst and Town from Shrewsbury.

Do we want someone like him at our club? :) .

There must have been dealings over the last few weeks and TBH I would prefer that we played a bit sneaky and got our man than be too honest and lose out. Shrewsbury fans would understand if the shoe was on the other foot.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed May 30, 2018 6:17 am

Ricco wrote:
Charnwood wrote:give it 3yrs I expect Sunderland to be ranked higher than Ipswich Town in the football league rankings.
I'd give it about 3 games in to next season! Over the last few days I've felt like Ross could well have been the better option, but I'm happy with Hurst, both are streets ahead of the alternatives I feel.
Totally Agree Charny. Ross just seemed to have that special something.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 30, 2018 6:20 am

How can you possibly agree a compensation package with a club who claim it has been done underhand ? That package has to be agreed with someone at Shrewsbury and they themselves have confirmed this, sour grapes, we've been very respectful for a long time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:24 am

Yes, I really do feel this is the biggest pile of Shyte for a while. Because the site was down last night, I went onto the TWTD thing, and saw the story of Shrewsbury being unhappy with ITFC. Couldn’t believe it. The idea of Hurst coming to ITFC has been doing the rounds since McCarthy left. Are they living in a bubble or what?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 30, 2018 6:46 am

Couldn’t agree more.... it’s been an open secret for a long while. If the Shrewsbury chief exec was genuinely surprised then he’s not been taking his job seriously enough. He had the option of going the moral route and stalling on the compensation package and taking this to the FA. Just like the Ross / Sunderland scenario.... a fair bit of outrage by the chief exec, but quickly followed by compensation package. Just seems a standard.

Not surprised by some of the outrage by Shrewsbury fans as it’s expected, but some are fair minded enough to say this was expected as everyone knew ......press, bookies, fans have been talking about it for weeks.
Maybe delaying this by a day - and not the day after the play off defeat - might have been wiser.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:04 am

tangfastic wrote:Not surprised by some of the outrage by Shrewsbury fans as it’s expected, but some are fair minded enough to say this was expected as everyone knew......
Yep, and proof that ALL football clubs have a mixture of opinions and levels of wisdom/stupidity (whichever!) throughout the fanbase.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 am

We have tracked Hurst as a main target for weeks, set our minds on him and waited until it was right for Shrewsbury, it was the press that leaked it not the club. I think we've been correct the way it's been done.

I like the way we pinpointed Hurst and appear to have got it done, Sunderland on the other hand just seem to have seen a guy was available jumped in with little pre planning and signed him up, it could be a lucky masterstroke, time will tell but I still feel we've got the best deal. Interesting times ahead.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 am

Ian Milne has just confirmed on Radio Suffolk that Paul Hurst has been appointed as Ipswich Town Manager. Formal introduction on Hurst’s return from holiday.

ME considers him to be the best manager in his age group. I think he’s the right choice for our club.

So. it’s been done - and feel certain all true supporters will get right behind him, and give him every chance to take us forward.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 am

Really pleased with that! Going to be a nice change appointing someone who sees the club as a step up rather than a step down like the previous three. Really hope he brings back the much needed good vibes, last season was just depressing from all sides.